sony KP-51WS510-convergence ic-help

936 posts / 0 new
Last post
Iguana775
I just wanted to make sure

I just wanted to make sure that the ICs are the problem and are in need of replacing. Here's a pic of what's going on...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/Iguana775/DSC02147.jpg

I did check the pico fuses on the G board and they were good.

Sambini
I've been reading up on Tv

I've been reading up on Tv issues for a while and I was hoping for a little clarification. Sometimes when you turn the TV on it will work for a few seconds, maybe 5-15, and then a blue screen flashes for a fraction of a second and it turns off. After it stays on it will work until you turn it off again. I have been looking at convergence issues because it also has the blue "rainbow" lines occasionally. I've read other posts that indicate it could also be a tube issue, because of the flash and shut off. Model is a kp-51ws500. Any help would be much appreciated.

Larry Dillon
i need more clarification on

i need more clarification on what the problem is, sorry i do not understand what you mean. goes the screen just pop on blue with very small lines going from right to left/??
Larry DILLON.

minh
Larry,

Larry,

My KP51WS510 is having the same convergence issue and I thought about throwing it away but was lucky to find this site. Hopefully I can fix it or have it fixed with a cheap price. I read the first 50 posts and saw that you sent out the service manual 2 years ago to help out with the fix. Are you still doing that? I don't know where the D board located.

Thanks.

Larry Dillon
thebest advice I can tell you

thebest advice I can tell you at this point is to go to tvrepairkits.com and order the complete convergence kit for your model of TV set, no need to search and order multiple parts from different sources and pay multiple shipping fees! The kit comes with original Sanyo STK ICÂ’S , not those cheap aftermarket or china made ICÂ’S full pictorial directions, the thermal paste, resistors, the correct Pico fuses, AND free live on-Line tech assistance in case you run into a problem with the repair. They ship out 2 to 3 day Priority mail, the next day in most cases GOOD LUCK!!!
Larry Dillon, senior tech/tvrepairkits.com
http://www.fixya.com/support/r3342653-convergence_fix

crownrock
hi,,i just had my D board

hi,,i just had my D board repaired by Sony and bench tested,,,and still have the EXACT same convergance issues...i checked the 2 pico's on the G board and they have continuity. also before i sent it to Sony i checked the D board pico's and they all had continuity........{i figure if continuity passes thru they are all good}? am i mistaken? one question is, and i know Larry stresses it alot, is "did you plug in all connections"? i did... BUT theres one, im sure its in its proper place that is bugging me. its gray runs from the metal strip of plate above the big distribution block {maybe a ground plate}... a thick flat black wire plugs in beside it on the metal plate ... well there is a single gray wire that plugs into the D board, and at its end is a gray plastic bulb and it has a white 4 pin connector and a tiny loop of white wire on the 4 pin connector. there are 2 spots on the board {one black 4 pin mounted on the board right at the very edge where the back panel mounts up, and a white 4 pin mounted on the board a little further in {few inches} that are both 4 pins. im quite sure the gray wire with the bulb and white connector go to the white 4 pin mounted on the board, or am i wrong? its odd the gray wire plugs into both 4 pin connectors,,, but i should have payed closer attention. i havent tried it in the black, only the white, and the tv is still the same, i just dont want to fry the board if i plug it in the wrong end. im sure Sony did a good job and checked the D board out completely .....hopefully its just a bad pico on the G board....or plugged in the wrong 4 pin? would the wrong connector cause it to bow-tie and 3d color still? is there anything else on the G board to effect convergance that i overlooked? ALSO the heat sinks were still cold after at leat 45 mins of the tv being on. i tried to auto focus and converge adjust as well ....no help ill try to take a picture of the board to show the 2 4 pins in question,,,,hopefully someone may know the correct placement. ANY help is GREATLY appreciated.thanks to all

jwjones
I'm sure you have the gray

I'm sure you have the gray and black wires on right as my brother told me to check those and see if he forgot to hook them up and the big flat black wire does go from the middle of the frame to the metal sheild over that board on the left and the gray loops from next to the black to under the cross brace and loops under the distribution block and down to the D-board. It plugs in right where you said to the white plug-in about a inch to the left of the left sts ic. At least that's the same way mine is pluged in but I wasn't the one that worked on it but I'm sure you have it right. And yes a white wire loops right there at the plug-in.

jwjones
I just opened the back on

I just opened the back on mine and saw that black plug-in you are talking about. I must have missed it before. As I said I never worked on this set so your guess is as good as mine! Please let me know what you find out as I don't want to hook it up to the black one and smoke the board! Does your tv play a DVD player clear but fuzzy on the tv with cable?

crownrock
thanks mike for the help.....

thanks mike for the help........i havent tried,,,still the same 3D bow-tie convergance probs.........is yours working? you said the gray wire with white lops plugs into the white 4 pin mounted on the D board right?

jwjones
Yes, that's the first thing

Yes, that's the first thing my brother told me to check. He's loaded with money so I have to work with junk, he just goes out and buy's a bigger one! I have all the manuals and parts list and all that stuff, it's to big to email but I can give you the links to download them if you need them.
Mike

jwjones
Is what I need to know is

Is what I need to know is what will make the tv hooked up to cable play fuzzy and I hook up a DVD player and the picture is clear? After a rebuild on the D-board with genine Sanyo STK 560's and all the other parts, can the D-board cause the tv to do this? If it will I will have sony rebuild it but I need to know if the D-board will cause this problem.
Thanks Mike

crownrock
thanks again Mike....i have

thanks again Mike....i have the sony service manual...not much help....im hoping a blown pico fuse im going to check in a bit....ill keep you posted

jwjones
Larry, I would buy that kit

Larry, I would buy that kit in a heart beat if I knew that it can cause the problem that I'm having! Can the D-board cause the tv to have a fuzzy picture and when you hook up a DVD player to it, the tv is very clear like new? I was not the one that worked on it and I would have went the way you say but now not knowing if the D-board will cause this problem I might wind up having to put it in the shop and I realy don't want to.
Thanks Mike

jwjones
Crownrock, I just got off the

Crownrock, I just got off the phone with my brother and he said to pull the G-board as it has 2 fuses right in the middle of the board. All you do is un-screw that one screw and slide it out. I just got the D-board out as I had to mark averything as TV's just aren't my bag. If it was a computer I can work on them with my eye's closed! You never answered me on if you could play a DVD player and get a clear picture. Good luck.
Mike

Sambini
Larry Dillon said:

Larry Dillon said:

i need more clarification on what the problem is, sorry i do not understand what you mean. goes the screen just pop on blue with very small lines going from right to left/??
Larry DILLON.

When the screen flashed blue, it is completely blue. It is only for a split second then the Tv powers off. You can keep turning it on many times and it will keep flashing blue and powering off. Eventually it will stay on with out the flash.

crownrock
Mike i'm sorry...heck i cant

Mike i'm sorry...heck i cant even get a descent picture much less try a dvd player,lol. ive been away testing my G board and lo and behold a blown 5amp pico.getting it changed out monday ,,,im hoping thiis will work! have you tried just running straight cable without anything else hooked up to your sony? i dont mean to sound dumb, im sure you prolly did. but with just cable/sat plugged in nothing else is it still fuzzy? thanks again for your help and time, ill keep you posted and see if i can find you some help as well

crownrock

Mike i'm sorry...heck i cant even get a descent picture much less try a dvd player,lol. ive been away testing my G board and lo and behold a blown 5amp pico.getting it changed out monday ,,,im hoping thiis will work! have you tried just running straight cable without anything else hooked up to your sony? i dont mean to sound dumb, im sure you prolly did. but with just cable/sat plugged in nothing else is it still fuzzy? thanks again for your help and time, ill keep you posted and see if i can find you some help as well

crownrock

jwjones
Crownrock,I bet you get your

Crownrock,I bet you get your's going. My tv just will not work on tv with the cable and the cable is good as my other tv is hooked up to that cable right now. All I can do is play DVD's on the tv and they come in clear. If I try and run the tv it is real fuzzy. I have both boards out and am going to look them over. I do know when the convergence goes out then it doesn't show up when you ajust your picture and like I said my brother did all the work and the ajustment for the convergence comes up and the red and green + will move to where ever you want it to. I just hate working on something that someone else has worked on!
Mike

crownrock
boy i hear you on that one

boy i hear you on that one Mikey!! im a mechanic for 25+ years.....theres nothing like getting someone elses leftovers! i hope you get squared away soon......have you tried using a vcr as a tuner ? run your cable thru vcr to tv.try that,,,see if it gets clearer..good luck

jwjones
Crownrock, Everything you are

Crownrock, Everything you are asking I have tried!!! Do you have the info on sony about geting the board fixed or at least checked out? I heard it was like $65. to have it rebuilt, is that close? I have the whole thing ripped apart and can't find anything wrong! I checked all the fuses on all the boards and the resistor's and anything else I could think of! Had 10 things going at one time today, it was fun! The only thing I found was a long piece of solder in the back of the G-board, looked like from the factory and I don't think that is it. If you have that info for sony that would be great!
Thanks Mike

minh
Larry Dillon said:

Larry Dillon said:
thebest advice I can tell you at this point is to go to tvrepairkits.com and order the complete convergence kit for your model of TV set, no need to search and order multiple parts from different sources and pay multiple shipping fees! The kit comes with original Sanyo STK IC'S , not those cheap aftermarket or china made IC'S full pictorial directions, the thermal paste, resistors, the correct Pico fuses, AND free live on-Line tech assistance in case you run into a problem with the repair. They ship out 2 to 3 day Priority mail, the next day in most cases GOOD LUCK!!!
Larry Dillon, senior tech/tvrepairkits.com
http://www.fixya.com/support/r3342653-convergence_fix

I saw the kit costs about $85 but don't know if I can do it myself. I don't have soldering experience with small parts. I did some soldering with copper pipe :-). The website said the instructions will be included (pdf file). Can anyone send me this file so I can take a look to know how hard the job is? I don't want to buy the kit then find out I have to hire someone to do it. Thanks.

rmw584
I also have a sony KP-51WS510

I also have a sony KP-51WS510 that I replaced the IC's as well as one pico fuse but still have issues. Is there any way to test the STK's to tell if they are good or not?

rmw584

I also have a sony KP-51WS510 that I replaced the IC's as well as one pico fuse but still have issues. Is there any way to test the STK's to tell if they are good or not?

rmw584

rmw584

Larry Dillon
you need to make sure you get

you need to make sure you get original non aftermarket type convergence ic's and you need to make sure you test both of the picofuses on the G board for continuity as well as all of the pico fuses on the D board that is the same board as the convergence ic's go onto make sure you test all of the resistors for the proper resistance.The best advice I can tell you at this point is to go to tvrepairkits.com and order the complete convergence kit for your model of TV set, no need to search and order multiple parts from different sources and pay multiple shipping fees! The kit comes with original Sanyo STK ICÂ’S , not those cheap aftermarket or china made IC'S full pictorial directions, the thermal paste, resistors, the correct Pico fuses, AND free live on-Line tech assistance in case you run into a problem with the repair. They ship out 2 to 3 day Priority mail, the next day in most cases,oh and when you solder on the new ic's make sure that none of the soldered pins on the ic's are not shorted together or that could blow out the new ic's that you just replaced so then you will most likely have to start all over again.
Larry Dillon

rmw584

rmw584

rmw584

Pages

Connect With Techlore