sony KP-51WS510-convergence ic-help

936 posts / 0 new
Last post
sony51inch
sony KP-51WS510-convergence ic-help

I have a sony KP-51WS510 with convergence problem.  the red line can not be manually adjusted up and down.  the blue line is okay.  I just bought 2 STK392-560 convergence ic.  will it work by just changing this ic or do I need to do something more.

Larry Dillon
You will need to make sure

You will need to make sure you get some heatsink compound and dont forget to apply lots of this compound to the metal back of the new IC's before you remount the new IC's to the heat sink. Also you should change both of the IC's because as sure as your born, the other IC will fail a month or so down the road and you will again be back inside the TV set changing the other IC, so it is best to change both at the same time. You might have small feedback resistors burned but most of the time, you only have a problem with the IC's. you also may need the service manual to do touch up alighnment in the service menu as you should never attempt any service manua alighnments without a service Manual. But I have goos news and can save you 25 bucks! Just leave your e-mail addy and i will send you a copy of it for free! You will need to go to pando.com and download this proggy as this proggy lets you e-mail and accept large e-mail files as the service manuals are large files. This is the only way i can send large files via my internet provider. Good Luck and Do let us know how you make out with this repair.

sony51inch
I installed the 2 Stk392-560

I installed the 2 Stk392-560 convergence ic yesterday.  The picture is back to normal.  Thank you Larry Dillon.  Should I stock up on this Stk392-560 ic.  How long will this IC last.  I saw some dust around the picture tubes and chip boards.  wil it hurt if I use the air hose to air it out.

Larry Dillon
No you should brush it out

No you should brush it out carefully with A small brush and a vacuum cleaner.  If you purchaced good ICs and used heatsink compound, the IC's should last you.  Good Job on this you saved yourself big bucks!

a2z
Larry Dillon said: No you

Larry Dillon said: No you should brush it out carefully with A small brush and a vacuum cleaner.  If you purchaced good ICs and used heatsink compound, the IC's should last you.  Good Job on this you saved yourself big bucks!

Wow, talk about convenient.  I turned on my set yesterday and have the same problem with my KP-51WS510. 

I have component level electronic repair experience and use to fix TVs back in the day.

Larry, could you send me the service manual also?  Also, where is a good place to order those ICs inexpensively? 

I have some heatsink compund that I use for computer CPUs.  Will this work for a good heatsink coumpound for the ICS?

Thanks in advance.

mortalsense
a2z said: Larry Dillon said

a2z said:

Larry Dillon said: No you should brush it out carefully with A small brush and a vacuum cleaner.  If you purchaced good ICs and used heatsink compound, the IC's should last you.  Good Job on this you saved yourself big bucks!

Wow, talk about convenient.  I turned on my set yesterday and have the same problem with my KP-51WS510.  I have component level electronic repair experience and use to fix TVs back in the day.  Larry, could you send me the service manual also?  Also, where is a good place to order those ICs inexpensively?  I have some heatsink compund that I use for computer CPUs.  Will this work for a good heatsink coumpound for the ICS?
Thanks in advance.

Sony KP-51ws510 crt tv just paid for about 1.5 years old.  Discussion about Convergence problems and leaky CRT that was the beginning of the nightmare. 

I found the convergence ICs for $30 , http://www.electronic-repair-kits.com/STK392-560.htm , they are orig replacements.  Norman's Electronics want $600 to replace ICS.   I am mostly worried about the desoldering and final adjustments.  I bought the Sony service manual, it is poor at best, unless you like to spend hours assuming something. 

Question:  Any specific help on repair, location of ra-6 chassis board, which I could not find in the Sony service manual unless they call it by another name???  any help on desoldering, gotchas, etc, finding blown resistors, pico fuse on G board, etc.  

see nightmare below:

My problem was no picture initially, Normans found a leaking green CRT that killed the board below IT WITH crt FLUID.   Argued with Sony who would replace the leaking CRT since it was 1.5 years old with a 2 yr crt warranty but not the board below it.   What a joke.  Big long argument, they finally pay for the board below with leaked fluid,  but service costs over $400 to do work.   Final blow, TV works for 3-4 weeks, and then convergence starts going out, Call back Normans, they manually adjust Convergence using remote.  Good for another 3 weeks, I keep calling, they tell me to adjust convergence.   I do that for 6-12 weeks and get tired and tell Normans to come and fix, they tell me the repair is now out of warranty.   These type of things is what causes people to shoot other people in the face in fits of rage, but I simply will never ever again in my life buy a Sony product or will I allow any other person in my family to buy one either, ever!!

mortalsense
Mortalsense here again

Mortalsense here again

A little more searching, and I found the D board for $139 with 1 year warranty and fully tested with all parts good (resistors, etc, plus ICs obviously) which does not warrant tinkering and wasting my time to prove I am a genius.   tristatemodule.com   1-800-203-7484   I think I will go that route.

Also, the ra-6 chassis is the whole enchilada, duh, I was thinking it was a board.  The convergence ICs are on the D board and the part number for the whole D board is either

A-1302-708-A D BOARD, COMPLETE

(SERIAL # 9,000,001 TO 9,700,000 ONLY)

! A-1302-180-A D BOARD, COMPLETE

(SERIAL # 9,700,001 AND UP ONLY)

Desoldering and then tinkering is a pain.  I hope there are not more adjustments and then more issues, or I will tie a chain around this junk tv , hook it to my trailer hitch and drag it to the sony warehouse and do donuts, with a final maximal centrifugal chain release to the front door (haha, crazy thoughts but funny). 

I will let you know the outcome.....

cupojoe
I have this exact issue with

I have this exact issue with same set and am looking to fix myself if possible.  I found reputable dealer for ic's but have not purchased service manual.  I'm handy with electronics (many years in IT/pc work) though I admit to never soldering.  Sony51, how long did this take and is there any detail you or Larry could provide that may help mortalsense and I?  I'm hoping to avoid going the board replacement route as suggested by mortal...

mortalsense
All, send me an  email to

All, send me an  email to [email protected] and I will send anyone a copy of the service manual for this junk TV known as SONY KP-51ws510.

As far as the buying the D board for $139 vs parts for $35, and then finding other bad components on the board, plus several hours of soldering, analyzing other bad part issues, it is a no brainer to buy the board (with a 1 yr warranty) for $100 additional, at least to me.  

If you have never soldered and don't have a silver tip mini solder iron ($60) min, then don't even think you can do this 20 pin micro solder job x 2 without peeling the trace or overheating the IC.

I will let you know how it goes... 

cupojoe
I think you are on to

I think you are on to something. Quick and easy and still much cheaper than a $400 service call. Not to mention the fact that I would probably ruin my set for good trying to solder my left nut to the main power feed.  Did you figure out which D board you needed?  I'm still researching but will pull the trigger soon - my HD sports and xbox are calling for my return...

lenav
I bought a KP46WS500 Sony TV,

I bought a KP46WS500 Sony TV, 4 years and 20 days later, it had the problem with red out of convergence. I bought the coverage for 4 years and they will charge me $100 to take a look and plus labor and parts. I found this site and read through comments and decide to fix it myself. I downloaded the menu ($15), bought a STK392-560 ($33+$10 shipping), and about half day of work, the TV is back to normal again. I had chance to adjust the focus and clean up the lense, I think it works better than ever before.

Larry Dillon
Glad to hear you fixed your

Glad to hear you fixed your set and saved a lot of bucks in the mean time.

punjabi4evr
Could someone please email me

Could someone please email me a copy of the service manual at [email protected] I have the convergence problem with this model sony TV. Thank you

Gurbinder

Larry Dillon
pun, whats the model number,

pun, whats the model number, they are talking about 3 to 4 differant one's here?

punjabi4evr
The model no. is KP-51WS510.

The model no. is KP-51WS510. Thank you Larry.

punjabi4evr
I decided to look inside the

I decided to look inside the TV (Sony KP-51WS510) and found the D board but could not locate the IC's that are suppose to be on it. Could someone PLEASE email me a copy of the service manual at [email protected] ? or help me locate the convergence IC's on this TV? I would be very thankful.

Larry Dillon
I sent the manual to you.  it

I sent the manual to you.  it is the same chassis number for your TV set.  Thats the RA-6. good Luck

chrysf56
Larry Dillon said: You will

Larry Dillon said: You will need to make sure you get some heatsink compound and dont forget to apply lots of this compound to the metal back of the new IC's before you remount the new IC's to the heat sink. Also you should change both of the IC's because as sure as your born, the other IC will fail a month or so down the road and you will again be back inside the TV set changing the other IC, so it is best to change both at the same time. You might have small feedback resistors burned but most of the time, you only have a problem with the IC's. you also may need the service manual to do touch up alighnment in the service menu as you should never attempt any service manua alighnments without a service Manual. But I have goos news and can save you 25 bucks! Just leave your e-mail addy and i will send you a copy of it for free! You will need to go to pando.com and download this proggy as this proggy lets you e-mail and accept large e-mail files as the service manuals are large files. This is the only way i can send large files via my internet provider. Good Luck and Do let us know how you make out with this repair.

Hey Larry,

Could I take you up on your offer for a copy of the service manual as well? Someone just gave me a SONY KP-51ws510 with a convergence problem and google nicely brought me to this great site where everyone seems to be even nicer and more helpful than I could have imagined. 

Use either [email protected] and [email protected] or do I still need to set up an account with pando?  

Thanks,

Dss900 

JeffC
I beleave that I am having

I beleave that I am having the same problem. When I turned on the set this morning the convergence seemed to be off. The red, green and blue are all tilted twords the center. Any ideas???

JeffC
Oh, and if it is, would you

Oh, and if it is, would you recomend that I buy the board or chips. I am OK with soldering. But do you beleave that the board would be best. What site would be recomended to purchase these from???

Larry Dillon
Yes Jeffc, you will need to

Yes Jeffc, you will need to change out the two convergence IC's  They Will be located on the D board.  It will a lot less expensive to change the IC's then it would be to swap out the board. These IC numbers are STK392-560.  You can get the original Sanyo replacement IC's from  HERE.   If you have no solid state repair experience with printed circuit boards, play it safe and call in a tech to assist you in this repair.  Good Luck

mathelm
Larry Dillon said: Yes Jeffc

Larry Dillon said: Yes Jeffc, you will need to change out the two convergence IC's They Will be located on the D board. It will a lot less expensive to change the IC's then it would be to swap out the board. These IC numbers are STK392-560. You can get the original Sanyo replacement IC's from HERE. If you have no solid state repair experience with printed circuit boards, play it safe and call in a tech to assist you in this repair. Good LuckThei

Their out of stock.

Could use a copy of the manual here, and have installed Pando

Thanks 

Larry Dillon
Mathelm, I just checked and I

Mathelm, I just checked and I was told they have plenty in stock. Where are you trying to buy them?  From MCM?  If you get them from somewhere else, they may be aftermarket types.  I cannot send the manual to you without an e-mail address. I cannot attach anything to the e-mail here.  Please, if you want the manual, I need an address.

mathelm
Your right of course, I was

Your right of course, I was thinking of anpther link in this thread.  email is [email protected]

Thanks

knight2606
Larry I have a KP65VW600 that

Larry I have a KP65VW600 that has the same type of covergance issue. I am trying to locate the service manual so that it can be repaired. Any help that you could give would be greatly appreciated.

mathelm
Not having any luck here

Not having any luck here locating a D board ( A-1302-180-A ).  Anyone know a place that ight have them in stock?  Seems like they're a hard to find item.

mathelm
Well, guess I'll be shipping

Well, guess I'll be shipping my old one to Tristatemodule.com or repair.  It's about $140 plus shipping with a 7 to 10 day turn around.  I'm bettin' that board is no longer made.

Now I just have to yank the thing out.Surprised

mortalsense
Mortalsense here again. 

Mortalsense here again.  Update,  I bought a Samsung LED DLP 61 inch to replace the Sony for the FamRoom, and who says size doesn't matter.  No bulb or color wheel, or rainbow effects, and heat source.  Much better than any Sony product.

So I put the Sony 3D (that is 3 images for the price of one, red, blue green) tv down in the basement and I am getting ready to fix the convergence issue to sell it.  I considered putting it in the XBOX-home theatre room gameroom, but I already have a projector and 65" Toshiba there, but having 3 screens for Xbox live would be great.  I already have the whole neighborhood over here, why not more?  The thing is too big, I really want a 42" LCD to finish the gameroom out so fixing this would only be to sell.  Anyone want to buy it??hehe , seriously...

Anyway, I am glad to see success for some of you, I sent manuals to several people, please send to any new folks.  

I don't know if I will find the time to replace the ICs so I was considering buying the Dboard from address below but my serial number does not match profile given in manual, ser#8779486 built Jan 2004 because the part numbers change so I will have to research that.  If anyone knows, let me know.  Thanks

see catalog and then hit control f for search to find the sony module numbers.

http://tristatemodule.com/assets/applets/TSM_CATALOG_107.pdf

mathelm
mortalsense said: Mortalsense

mortalsense said: Mortalsense here again.  Update,  I bought a Samsung LED DLP 61 inch to replace the Sony for the FamRoom, and who says size doesn't matter.  No bulb or color wheel, or rainbow effects, and heat source.  Much better than any Sony product. So I put the Sony 3D (that is 3 images for the price of one, red, blue green) tv down in the basement and I am getting ready to fix the convergence issue to sell it.  I considered putting it in the XBOX-home theatre room gameroom, but I already have a projector and 65" Toshiba there, but having 3 screens for Xbox live would be great.  I already have the whole neighborhood over here, why not more?  The thing is too big, I really want a 42" LCD to finish the gameroom out so fixing this would only be to sell.  Anyone want to buy it??hehe , seriously... Anyway, I am glad to see success for some of you, I sent manuals to several people, please send to any new folks.   I don't know if I will find the time to replace the ICs so I was considering buying the Dboard from address below but my serial number does not match profile given in manual, ser#8779486 built Jan 2004 because the part numbers change so I will have to research that.  If anyone knows, let me know.  Thanks see catalog and then hit control f for search to find the sony module numbers. http://tristatemodule.com/assets/applets/TSM_CATALOG_107.pdf

The good news is, don't worry about the serial number range they have listed ( mine is 8722210 ) , you need the A1302180A ( A-1302-180-A ).  The bad news, That board is no where to be found!  They don't have it, and according to them, it can't be had.  You have to pull your old board and send it to them with a packing slip http://www.tristatemodule.com/html/shipping_form.html  and they'll repair it for $139 bucks.

Speaking of pulling the old board, having some issues here.  Aren't the high voltage cables suppose to twist 90 degrees and pull out?  And dose anyone have any idea how mny screws are holding this thing down, can't seem to find whats holding the thing in.  Of course I'm being extra careful being that the board is unreplaceable.

JeffC
Wow. All this for 1 TV. I am

Wow. All this for 1 TV. I am glad that I am a technical supervisor for our local cable company. All of my guys have been worned of this problem.

Anyhow, Can I please get a copy of the manual sent to me? [email protected]

mathelm
I've got 3 different ones,  I

I've got 3 different ones,  I'll send ya all 3. btw, 1 is in 5 parts.

and oh yea, found the last screw.  Still worried about jerking those power cables out.

Pages

Connect With Techlore