sony KP-51WS510-convergence ic-help

936 posts / 0 new
Last post
Larry Dillon
the proper way to test a pico

the proper way to test a pico fuse or a resistor is to remove one side from the board, that means to unsolder one end lift it off the board and test it. remember only test one at a time or you might forget to resolder the fuse or resistor back onto the board, I cannot count how many times I have found this to be the problem with a tv set.
Larry Dillon.

jwjones
Crownrock, I called and left

Crownrock, I called and left a message for Jennifer to call me back as I think that they are closed now, it's eastern time there. I'll know tomorrow and let you know.
Mike

jwjones
Crownrock, will you still be

Crownrock, will you still be here on line in the next few weeks? I'm hoping those wires come with the board. On the skinny red wire where it goes to the board, does it have some kind of clip on it, not where it plugs in to the front of the tv but at the FBT where both the wires plug in? When I got both wires out at the FBT the big one pulled out and I had to yank hard on the skiny one and on the end all it has is the bare wire. I thought that straw trick was on the distribution block under the mid frame. They don't sell those wires anymore so I might need to get ahold of you if my new board doesn't come with them and it say's they don't come with them. So if you look at that skinny red wire has it got some kind of clip on it? I left a message with Jennifer and should know tomorrow why my part numbers are not the same as yours. Will let you know when I hear from her.
Mike P.S. enjoy watching your big screen tv

crownrock
thanks Mike, ya i will. my

thanks Mike, ya i will. my skinnny red wire came out bare also.i realize i should have pulled it out from the focus block, but didnt know until mine came back with new wires.....my model is Sony KP51WS510.....serial 9701646.....MFG. June 2003....it seems there may be more than one board, i dont know, but mine is def an A1302180A........let me know how it went

jwjones
Crownrock, Jennifer will call

Crownrock, Jennifer will call today and we should know why mine was more. I think it's the seral number as mine is #8766920, manufactured in DEC, 2oo3 and I bet that is why. I did look your part number up and it said just what you said. Boy that is cheap! Most of those boards run from $120. to over $200. I just moved back home after traveling around for the last 20 years and the last state I was in I had a progection TV 52" rca Wal-Mart red light special. It was 2 years old and I bought it new. IT went out in 2 years and 2 days. The warranty was for only 2 years and Wal-Mart cover's their own warranty, not rca, sony or other brands. They have a place called Tomson's that carry's their warranty's and on the norm you have to take your set 50 to 200 miles to get it repaired so don't ever buy a Wal-mart tv! Before I fixed it I went on line to read the reviews on it and the one I liked the best was a guy that said when you walk down the isle and see that tv at Wal-Mart, run like hell and don't stop running until your at the other end of the store! The convergence board was like $175. and after reading how bad that tv was I junked it!I guess is what I'm saying is NEVER buy a Wal-Mart TV as they buy all the rejects! I called sony to get the FedEx tracking number as that was the way they were going to ship it and what a screw-up! They shiped it UPS but 2 day air UPS so I should have it tomorrow. So I"ll let you know what Jenny say's and if the wires come with the board. I can go to a TV shop and ask them if that wire needs a clip or not so that's no big deal.
Mike

jwjones
Crownrock my part number is A

Crownrock my part number is A-1300-417-A
Mike

jwjones
Crownrock, Got my board today

Crownrock, Got my board today and the wires came with it. Now I have a new TV talked to Sony's supervisor yesterday and he said the wires would come with it. This new board just snaped right in where as the other board never did then I just screwed in the screws and pluged in all the stuff in no time as I've had that other board out 4 or 5 times to test it. He also said if mine was rebuilt like yours it would be $65. so that's the way to go! My board was smoked to bad so I just wanted a new one, I was tired of screwing around with it! Just wanted to let you know.
Mike

crownrock
glad to hear it Mike. wish it

glad to hear it Mike. wish it wasnt so pricey, but still not too bad. ENJOY bro!!

jwjones
Thanks Larry, as I had said I

Thanks Larry, as I had said I was not the one that worked on it and the board was smoking everywhere! I was just hoping nothing else got smoked from the D-board! And yes the wrong ic's were put in the first time then replaced with the right ones. I hate working on something that someone else had all ready worked on! I lucked out as everything else was OK.
Mike

Larry Dillon
the bottom line is you did

the bottom line is you did not give up!!! that is the important thing . not to knock those who give up as maybe they should not be in the set in the first place.
because maybe they do not have the proper training or experience??
Larry D.

pinebarrens
Can someone please send me

Can someone please send me the service manual for the KP-51WS510? My email address is [email protected]. Yesterday my tv got some weird green distortion line at the top and a red one at the bottom. Will the service manual tell me what I need to do in order to fix it? Thanks everyone!

-Scott

Larry Dillon
that service manual available

that service manual available from the technicians corner here on techlore under the resources tab on the home page.

jwjones
Crownrock, From what I was

Crownrock, From what I was told was my TV came out in late Dec. of 2003 with a differant s/n because my TV has like over a 1,000 pixels and your's has 700-750. I didn't quite understand it all but mine is suppose to have a better picture. I'm sure looking at both of them side by side that I couldn't tell any difference! I think they just put more stuff in the board so they can make more money! Just thought you would want to know why my board was more, a lot more!!
Mike

menace2008
hi i got a kp-51ws510 rear tv

hi i got a kp-51ws510 rear tv projection tv from an inlaw 2 days later it quit working had a tv rip off repair man come out and look at it and he said it was the deflection board and said it would cost between 4 and 5 hundred for him to fix, i am pretty good with fixing stuff but have no clue what i am looking for and he didnt give me a part tnumber. if there is anyone that can help or maybe has the service manual for this tv can u pleas email me it or tips at [email protected] any help is appreciated

fperez210
convergence problem with my

convergence problem with my KDP-65WS550, can you send me the manual, [email protected]

ksrookie
I followed the directions

I followed the directions here and ordered a kit from TVRepairKits.com and installed my new STK's. Found also that none of the pico's were open. Realized since this didn't fix the problem that I must have missed something. Noticed the far right pico fuse on the right stk area is open. Replaced this pico and it tested fine. turned on the set and found the same problem. Turned off the set and the pico is open again - the new one I just installed. What could be causing this to open again. (by the way, pico's on the G board are good).

Larry Dillon
check your soldering on the

check your soldering on the ic's then look at all of the resistors.
Larry D.

luke23111
Hey Larry,

Hey Larry,

Could I take you up on your offer for a copy of the service manual as well? i have a SONY KP-51ws510 with a convergence problem the red is out of convegence
Thanks,

Larry Dillon
if it went out all of a

if it went out all of a sudden adjusting it will not help, you will need to replace the 2 convergence as well as what-ever pico fuses went out also.
The best advice I can tell you at this point is to go to tvrepairkits.com and order the complete convergence kit for your model of TV set, no need to search and order multiple parts from different sources and pay multiple shipping fees! The kit comes with original Sanyo STK IC'S , not those cheap aftermarket or china made IC'S full pictorial directions, the thermal paste, resistors, the correct Pico fuses, AND free live on-Line tech assistance in case you run into a problem with the repair. They ship out 2 to 3 day Priority mail, the next day in most cases GOOD LUCK!!!
Larry Dillon.

BIGTexan1372
i have a sony KP-46WT510 that

i have a sony KP-46WT510 that was bought in 04'. the color is all jacked up and it is bowed on the top and bottom. i have NO clue whats goin on. turned it one this mornin and its broke. any help would be apreciated. if anybody has a service manual for this model, it would help as i have not been able to find one yet. please send to [email protected], thanks.

Larry Dillon
big texan 1372,

big texan 1372,
The best advice I can tell you at this point is to go to tvrepairkits.com and order the complete convergence kit for your model of TV set, no need to search and order multiple parts from different sources and pay multiple shipping fees! The kit comes with original Sanyo STK IC'S , not those cheap aftermarket or china made IC'S full pictorial directions, the thermal paste, resistors, the correct Pico fuses, AND free live on-Line tech assistance in case you run into a problem with the repair. They ship out 2 to 3 day Priority mail, the next day in most cases GOOD LUCK!!!The service manual is available in the technicians corner on the home page under the resources tab, Please no more posting e-mail address in the live forums.
Larry Dillon

onlyloco
Let me start by saying Thank

Let me start by saying Thank you! I have been able to find a lot of information on this forum.

I bought the repair kit from TVRepairKits.com for my KP-51WS510 Sony TV. I should be getting it next week. The convergence problem with my TV is that I’m unable to move the blue color only on the right hand side of the screen. And the color is not centered. I’m planning to replace the IC first and then go from there.

I just have one question. I have experience with Electronics; however, I’m terrified of being shocked. I was not able to find any information about taking precautions on the instructions received. Should I wear gloves to perform the repair? The pictures shown for the repair shows bare hands touching a lot of components. Should I avoid touching any components in particular? I have had the TV unplugged for a couple of days… does that take most of the electricity out?

- Also, I wanted to add that the light flashes 4 times when turning the tv on. I hope the issue is related

I will appreciate feedback from those who already completed the fix

Thank you much!

Luis

dawn7228
Please help do not think it

Please help do not think it is a convergence problem we had that about a year ago and you guys helped us to fix it!!!! Last night tv worked great tonight went down stairs turned it on and all that is showing is channel number and no signal across the bottom (lines going crazy in all colors not like when convergence went out and picture was wavy) and no sound unless you change channels you get sound for about 2 seconds then it is gone checked cable connection all looks good and all other tvs in house working fine the timer light on front is not blinking showing an error just soild please help again:) daewn

robert ramos
yes change the stk392-560 and

yes change the stk392-560 and check the resistor around it 1.8ohms or sometimes has a fuse 3amp and that it

dawn7228
please explain know just

please explain know just enough to be dangerous

onlyloco
I decided to do the fix today

I decided to do the fix today. I was a little concerned about being shocked but everything went fine. I order the parts from Tvrepairkits.com and received them fast. Today I changed the parts. I did have a problem. When I was de-soldering the IC, the metal part in the board for the 3rd pin came out. I thought I was now going to have to send the board to be repaired, however, after taking a closer look I saw that the third pin is not connected to anything =) . so it really didn’t matter.. Here is a pic

Photobucket

I replaced the part as per the instruction received and now it works fine. I only had to replace the ICs. For those attempting the fix, make sure you are careful when de-soldering the board,

Thank you and good luck!!!

techmiker
can you send me a service

can you send me a service manual for the kp-51ws510 and explain a little more about the ic's and what they do

Larry Dillon
thank you very much for the

thank you very much for the feedback, you are right I get that question for the sony sets quit a bit.can you recommend anything that would make the kit repair flow a little bit easier??
Larry Dillon

Larry Dillon
hard to say without checking

hard to say without checking a lot more circuits like the voltages in the power supply. maybe leave a message with full details on an open thread or make a new thread
Larry Dillon

Larry Dillon
hard to say without checking

hard to say without checking a lot more circuits like the voltages in the power supply. maybe leave a message with full details on an open thread or make a new thread
Larry Dillon

Pages

Connect With Techlore