sony KP-51WS510-convergence ic-help

936 posts / 0 new
Last post
rmw584
I also have a sony KP-51WS510

I also have a sony KP-51WS510 that I replaced the IC's as well as one pico fuse but still have issues. Is there any way to test the STK's to tell if they are good or not?

jwjones
I emailed Sony earlier today

I emailed Sony earlier today and they will give you tech info for free and if you want you can send you D-board to them and they will check it out and call you and let you know for free if it's worth the cost to fix. Sorry I haven't got back to you before now as I had things to do. Just email them, they seem like nice people and will answer your questions for free! Here's their email http://eservice.sony.com
Good luck!
Mike

Larry Dillon
thanks for the info mike.

thanks for the info mike. send this info to the editor ask him to add it to the manufacturers info list please.
Larry Dillon.

rmw584

I also have a sony KP-51WS510 that I replaced the IC's as well as one pico fuse but still have issues. Is there any way to test the STK's to tell if they are good or not?

rmw584

jwjones
I don't know how you would

I don't know how you would test them but Larry is right, make sure you use genuine parts! I got a tv that had already been worked on and wrong parts put in then the right parts and it's a nightmare! You have to use the genuine Sanyo STK 560's. There should be 5 pico fuses on the D-board to check and 1 or 2 on the G-board.
Mike

rmw584

rmw584

rmw584

Larry Dillon
no there is no way to test

no there is no way to test the ic's except you can or have to replace it with a new ic.
Larry Dillon.

crownrock
Mike, im up and running,,,bad

Mike, im up and running,,,bad pico on the G board........dont trust the continuity alone as i found out on page 24 i believe{ of this thread},,,i had a good reading while my board was at sony,,,after i installled the D , having the same issues,,, i kept reading , re-tested the G board, and sure enough, bad pico. it seems they can test good for continuity, running off of a capacitors energy until they finally peter out! a dang .50 cent pico fuse is all it cost me, plus ten bucks i paid a tv shop to solder it up for me..total, of 93 bucks flat.....including shipping and having sony change out the ic's and a resistor or two, bench test and ship out!! thabk you Larry, Techlore, and all the fine folks here!!

jwjones
Crownrock Did you have to put

Crownrock Did you have to put the 2 red wires back on the FBT? The new boards don't come with those wires and I had to spend $200. on a new board today! They said I could ship mine to them and it would be the same cost! Every time I had it out to test and put it back in something else would screw up! The last time I had it out and put it back in, you remember that gray wire you were asking me which plug-in it went to? And I said the white one I thought, well after I pluged the tv in the picture would start to come on then the tv would shut down. If I unpluged that gray wire and turn it on I could get sound but no picture so with it going I pluged back in that gray wire and it kept running with no picture but in the back of the board behind the coil a capasitor I think would start smoking. Like I said I wasn't the one that worked on it and wrong parts were used the first time. I was going nuts! But if this new board works for $200. I'll have a nice TV, I hope! Have you taken the high volt wires off at the FBT? I haven't and don't know how as I always took them off at the tv it's self. Let me know if you know how they come out. I have also worked on cars for 35 years and I know what you mean on that! I raced figure-8 and demo derby's for 4 years and I've never run in to something this screwed-up! You got lucky on the cost of your board rebuild! I didn't want mine rebuilt, I'll pay the extra and get it fixed with out having more things go wrong on it! I was ready to junk the dam thing! Let me know if you know how the wires come out of the FBT!
Thanks Mike

crownrock
Mike, i unplugged the focus

Mike, i unplugged the focus wire at the flyback, maybe the way i shouldnt have , by pulling it straight out, it was tight!! the HV wire, as everybody says is a 90 degree counterclockwise turn to the left and straight up. i had NO luck, with that and put a crack in my D board,{wich Sony also repaired. they just put some very hard ass clear epoxy under the board at crack about the size of a fifty cent piece. this suff is as hard as concrete!. i couldnt even see a crack, but i take their word for it cause i got a lil rough trying to get the wire out, until i finally read about an old drink straw trick. i t worked in seconds!! i posted on it,like on page 30, 31 i think. get a firm drinking straw slit it up the middle, slide over your HV wire push down, wiggle it out, and it releases the lil clip thats putting the african death lock on your wire! its kinda like how you remove Ford fuel lines with that lil spring depressor tool. i sent mine without wires to Sony, and it came back with both new ones! after trying to remove the HV from the other block, cause my oroginal one was still attached, i just said to heck with it, im gonna screw up something here, i grabbed my trusty straw, pulled out the new HV, and reused my old one, it was fine. the smaller red focus wire just unplugs easily from the front of the tv at the little black focus block. i didnt know this till after the fact. if you need the 2 wires, email me, your more than welcome to them. where did you find your 200 dollar board? to everyone: READ READ READ EVERY post in this thread, it is long but well worth it. my set is fixed and i STILL read even old posts!! good luck Mike

Larry Dillon
crownrock, that is why when I

crownrock, that is why when I tell someone to test the continuity or value of a resistor to lift up one side up off of the PC board to get a true reading or measurement.
Larry Dillon.

rmw584

jwjones
Crownrock, I'm been having a

Crownrock, I'm been having a little fun with Sony. I gave them the part number for the board then asked if they had the part numbers for those 2 red wires that go to the FBT as in the parts list it say's that they don't come with the board. To take the board out you need to take those wire's off the tv but I had never taken them off the FBT. I got the wires out but I hope that they do come with new ones. That straw trick is for when you take the big wire out at the distribution block which mounts under the mid frame with all those red wires comming out of it. It won't work on the FBT that's the one on the board with the 2 wire's The little red one and the big red one. On the little red one when I took it out at the board all it has is the red coating and a wire sticking out of that, should it have some kind of clip on it? I did find a small clip on the floor. The big red one came out just fine and has a end on it. I'll just wait and see if the wires come with the board. I guess I'm bored as Sony could not answer my question as to why the wire's were discontinued on the part's list I even gave them the part number. Then I told them I could get them all a job here at Wal-Mart as door greeter's if they could qualify! It just get's to me when everyone of these company's are farming all there stuff out to India and they don't know sh--! I'll let you know if the wires come with the board, for the price they should send a tech along to do the install, I'd pay extra to have the little shit stuffed in the box like that Directv commercial! I'll let you know what happens.
Mike

Larry Dillon
why are you sending this

why are you sending this board all the way to Sony to get it repaired when you can do it yourself if you can follow and read simple instructions for about one third of their cost. the parts in the kit that tvrepairkits.com uses are original Sony/Sanyo replacement ic.and several pico fuses and resistors along with clear easy to follow directions. if you have that kind of money to throw away these days oh well.
Larry Dillon.

lefty976
Larry, I purchased your kit

Larry, I purchased your kit and replaced the ic's on my 65 inch and the convergence problem is gone but now the image with peoples faces sometimes has a yellowish tint to them especially when watching sports like football and the HD does not look as sharp as before... do you know what's wrong???

crownrock
Mike ,,i used the straw trick

Mike ,,i used the straw trick on my flyback twice. it worked in less than 2 seconds!! not on the distribution block with the 4 red wires coming off it. and who is doing your board? you said 200? i thought you sent to mt. pleasant for the 65.00 repair? if so,, they told me they always put on new wires if they arent there, cause at first i thought they sent somone elses board back to me scince i knew i didnt ship mine out with wires,and having a crackinit. although i can see myself cracking it, fighting the wire. keep us posted.

crownrock
Larry i wish i had enough

Larry i wish i had enough unsoldering/soldering expierience to test the fuse that way ,otherwise i would have tried to repair it myself, other than sending it to Sony. but for 65 bucks i figured id play it safe. it was still going to cost me every bit that in parts, plus not having to worry about melting the board, chips etc. after talking to a few peeps, i now know that is the real real way to test them ,as well as many other electrical components for that matter, seperate. i dont understand tho why Mike is dishing out 2 bills for his repair? i hope im mistaken, but wish him the best

Larry Dillon
oh I thought Sony charged

oh I thought Sony charged well over 100 bucks for a D board repair. I guess I was misinformed!!??
Larry D

Larry Dillon
mike56 go to tvrepairkits.com

mike56 go to tvrepairkits.com/helpdesk and start a trouble ticket.they will answer you asap. This is for kit-buyers that run into a problem. good luck!!!!!

jwjones
My board was so bad and

My board was so bad and smoking everywhere so I wanted a new board as with the kit if it didn't work then I'd be out money. The wrong parts were put in on the first repair and the right parts on the second repair and after pulling the board out 4 times and checking things out and putting it back in and something else would start smoking. I didn't do any of the repairs and just want it fixed so I bought a new board! Crownrock I tried getting ahold of you to see where you sent your board but you must have been bussy and I know you said around $100. for a rebuild. Do you have the name and address of the place you sent yours? I'll write it down because they are always going out and that is a cheap price!
Mike

crownrock
Mike, mine was direct from

Mike, mine was direct from Sony. even on Sony.com...look up the part. it says discontinued.but has a 65.00 price. they charge state tax as well, mine was 5.36 bringing it to 70.36. plus the fed ex 12 bucks,{ they 2nd fed ex it back to you for free} a .50 cent pico fuse, 10 bucks to my local tv repairman to solder..........iv got a total of 93 dollars invested in a 6 year old tv i was given! i can't complain, even if it lasts 6 months,lol. i still give Larry D. and Techlore, and everyone else who i learned someting new from all the credit in the world!! if you need more info ,call them @ 1-866-748-8272 for repairs.

rmw584

jwjones
I went to sony and they said

I went to sony and they said either rebuild or new it was $177. plus shipping and tax. They had one new board and I took it. I'm so dam tired of screwing around with other people's screw-ups that I didn't mind spending the money! My part number was #-A-1300-417-A complete D board. Are you sure that you have a KP-51WS510? I just can't see how they get me for $177. to rebuild it compared to what you spent! They also told me it depends on what it needed and they would look at it and call me and give me a price the first time I called. That might be where you got off so cheap. I must have got the wrong person the second time I called and wanted to know where to send it. But I bet mine would have cost more then a new board as it is more screwed up then any other board I've worked on! That kit would NOT have fixed it I'm sure, I'd just be wasting my money and time! It just had to many shorts in it! I just want to put a new board in and be done with it!
Mike

Larry Dillon
no the only way is to replace

no the only way is to replace it. if you already did that you need to check and replace any bad resistors or pico fuses a kit with complete set of parts and step by step directions is available from tvrepairkits.com plus free live online tech assistance if you run into a snag. good luck.
Larry Dillon

jwjones
Crownrock, I just looked the

Crownrock, I just looked the part up under sony.com and it said $177.63 and that's what it cost me!
Mike

crownrock
Mike i am 1000% positive of

Mike i am 1000% positive of the make and model.....i will even fax you the invoice of my repair...the board this set takes is an A1302180A.
crownrock
11 comments
October 25, 2009 11:26 AM

sure JP, here it is. actually if you go on Sony.com and punch up the D board part no.#A1302708A it will bring up the page for it stating it is discontinued, but shows a price of $65.00. you need to call the Sony repair center in Mt. Pleasant Pa, and talk to Jennifer Rohlfing. she will give you the low down on what to do. the phone number is (724)-696-7297.my take on this is that Sony either feels guilty or obligated or both {in my humble opinion} to its customers and owes it to them to keep them happy and coming back. im a Sony fan for 20+ years, and was fortunate to have this 6 year old set given to me, so if i invest say 80 bills in i... the 65 plus shipping etc...and it hopefully lasts a year or two, i can't complain. i just wonder that how we need to use the original Sanyo stk's why did they have such an early failure rate? i trust all the experts that warn not to use cheap 6 dollar knock off imitations, i just hope Sony doesnt do the same. 65.00 is awful cheap, so i hope they do a turnkey repair job and get me going again. while im here does anybody know how to properly test the pico fuses??? is a continuity test sufficent or do you need to check ohms etc.? all my D board picos had continuity but i want to make certain because i have two more to check on the G board as well. all in all its been very interesting learning something new, without getting jolted as well!! myany thanks go out to Larry D and everyone else who has taught and walked me through this.....this site rules!!!! my post on page 31.......talk to Jennifer......she will help you.let me know how it went

jwjones
Crownrock, my board part is A

Crownrock, my board part is A-1300-417-A I have a parts list here at home and sony showed the same part. This is weird, is your s/n 8766920? Manufactured in Dec. of 2003? Maybe I got screwed, who knows! Mine also shows in stock!
Mike

Pages

Connect With Techlore