sony KP-51WS510-convergence ic-help

936 posts / 0 new
Last post
jam
You guys really do need to

You guys really do need to read this blog. If you did you would not be asking for a manual because it is explained more than once how to go to the site and get it.

Despite all the warnings, and that warning may apply in some cases about trying to adjust the convergence prior to a tear down, but I can tell you in my case that adjustment (multiple attempts), hurt nothing. Since I work nearly 70 hours a week I made the decision to give the set to my son. He is a computer repair tech. After telling him about this site, he went to a local electronics store and in one night fixed the set good as new for $30! Quite a difference from the $300 - $500 most people wanted to charge for the house call to repair it. Study this site, get the manual, take your time and you won't be unhappy that you did.

I deliberately did not list the site to get the manual because you really do need to take the time to read what is here and maybe you can thank those who took the time to post it for you.

Thanks to all who posted here and especially for the photos and how to get a manual and all the excellent tips. Good job!

speeddemon1000
I have a Mitsubishi WS 55813

I have a Mitsubishi WS 55813 diamond series. I'm having the same problem with the blinking green light. I tried the reset button and shutting the power off. It's still blinking. Could I also get the repair documents. Thanks Jason
EMAIL at [email protected]

jam
Thanks Larry. I just thought

Thanks Larry. I just thought that needed to be posted because I know all the work people have gone through to offer assistance and you all deserve our thanks. Bob

Larry Dillon
BOB, But please viset the

BOB, But please viset the other threads and stories/articles here at techlore, as there is a load of great reviews and articles about almost anything. especially about gadgets

Larry Dillon
BOB, But please visit the

BOB, But please visit the other threads and stories/articles here at techlore, as there is a load of great reviews and articles about almost anything. especially about gadgets

jam
I had to attend an awards

I had to attend an awards gathering at work this week and they called me the "gadget guy". Yep, I better check out the other areas because I know I will find some good stuff. Thanks

patone
ecollier2012 said: For those

ecollier2012 said: For those of you who don't want to wing the installation http://www.TvRepairKits.com has put together a complete kit for the Sony set. The kit includes factory original Sanyo STK chips, the 3.5 and 5AMP pico fuses, 4.7 OHM resistors, thermal paste, and a step by step photo instruction guide for the KP series. Also note that we just purchased a large QTY of original Sony/Sanyo STK392-560 chips in the original factory Sony boxes. These were leftovers from a Sony supplier.

For the sony repair kit, you just mentioned type for convergence chip. You did not mention the type of pico fuses and convergence resistors. Can you tell me more about them, I want to know the quality of those too. Thanks.

patone
patone said:

patone said:

ecollier2012 said: For those of you who don't want to wing the installation http://www.TvRepairKits.com has put together a complete kit for the Sony set. The kit includes factory original Sanyo STK chips, the 3.5 and 5AMP pico fuses, 4.7 OHM resistors, thermal paste, and a step by step photo instruction guide for the KP series. Also note that we just purchased a large QTY of original Sony/Sanyo STK392-560 chips in the original factory Sony boxes. These were leftovers from a Sony supplier.

For the sony repair kit, you just mentioned type for convergence chip. You did not mention the type of pico fuses and convergence resistors. Can you tell me more about them, I want to know the quality of those too. Thanks.

ecollier2012, Can you also specify model # for the sanyo chip. From what i read here, higher # is better.

larry dillion
what's up Larry, I am one of

what's up Larry, I am one of those unfortunate people with this convergence nightmare. please send me a copy of the manual also.

THANKS VERY MUCH.

CLIFTON

Keven
Whew! A lot of reading.

Whew! A lot of reading. Thanks for pointing me to the manual (I didn't see it at first, but it's there) and parts at www.tvrepairkits.com.

I've had my KP-51WS510 5 years. It survived 2 moves without incident. I think the picture is great (until the red convergence problem). Wish me luck installing the parts, I do

Keven
The repair went very well. I

The repair went very well. I got the TV-KIT-2014 from www.tvrepairkits.com.

I didn't get the instructions by e-mail, so used the enclosed instruction link.

I didn't need the fuses (checked them all) or the resistors (they looked good).

The instructions included photos. Component location pictures for the fuses and resistors helped. The G-board pictures were not as clear as I would have liked. It looked like the fuses were toward the edge of the board. Mine were near the center. Maybe my board is slightly different? Higher contrast pointers on the photo may help.

Afterwards, did the flash focus adj, then convergence adjusting. After the TV had been on a few mintues, did the flash focus again. That brought in a clear picture. The service manual does say to wait 30 minutes.

Thank you, I'm very satisfied. I hope the new chips last as long as the originals!

Gerardo M
Hi Larry,

Hi Larry,
I have a SONY KP-51WS510 and the issue is that the words on the upper left and bottom right corner starts to wable, is this a convergence issue?, also the words on the center look like a rainbow.

Thanks,
Gerardo M

Chris NC
Just today, my KP-46WT510

Just today, my KP-46WT510 went "belly up" w/this "bow-tie/convergence" issue. Thanks to google found your excellent discussion thread & thanks to the dedicated knowledge-contributors plan to attempt this repair.

*HELP Request- I unknowingly attempted to adjust the convergence (at least 2X auto & 1X manual), prior to discovering this & just read Larry's comment that it can "mess it up bad"... So my question is... What did I "mess up" and what will need to be done, beyond the STK/Pico replacement?!?

Thanks in advance!

ecollier2012
Thanks Keven for the feedback

Thanks Keven for the feedback on the kit from www.TvRepairKits.com.

You were lucky - most of the time a few pico fuses are also blown. Mostly on the G board but sometimes on the D board also.

Ed

tj3752
hey larry do you have a

hey larry do you have a manual for a kp65w5500,i just found out i need to replace my output ic's

KSL
I have a Sony KP-51ws510 with

I have a Sony KP-51ws510 with the convergence issue.Can you tell me where the D-board is located on the back. I am seeing 3 boards... need your help locating the D-board. Thank you!!

KSL
http://www.tristatemodule.com

http://www.tristatemodule.com/ will repair your D-board for $129.95

KSL
never mind.. check this link.

never mind.. check this link. thank god for google :)

http://www.piercedgeek.net/tv/img/D_board1.JPG

Larry Dillon
The best advice I can tell

The best advice I can tell you at this point is to go to tvrepairkits.com and order the complete convergence kit for your model of TV set, no need to search and order multiple parts from different sources and pay multiple shipping fees! The kit comes with original Sanyo STK ICÂ’S , not those cheap aftermarket or china made ICÂ’S full pictorial directions, the thermal paste, resistors, the correct Pico fuses, AND free live on-Line tech assistance in case you run into a problem with the repair. They ship out 2 to 3 day Priority mail, the next day in most cases,
Larry Dillon

Marcus witt
Hello, I have zero

Hello, I have zero experience in this field but have the exact convergence issue discussed here, the stk.# KP-51WS510, I would like to try and fix myself, should I buy the board(is there a stk.# I would be looking for or should I get two convergence kits?

Thanks for your time

Larry Dillon
The best advice I can tell

The best advice I can tell you at this point is to go to tvrepairkits.com and order the complete convergence kit for your model of TV set, no need to search and order multiple parts from different sources and pay multiple shipping fees! The kit comes with original Sanyo STK ICÂ’S , not those cheap aftermarket or china made ICÂ’S full pictorial directions, the thermal paste, resistors, the correct Pico fuses, AND free live on-Line tech assistance in case you run into a problem with the repair. They ship out 2 to 3 day Priority mail, the next day in most cases,

no!! the complete convergence kit includes both of the STK IC's and all instructions as well as all parts needed, after you order the kit ask me(Larry Dillon) or (Ed) for the service manual, and we will be more than happy to send you via e-mail a PDF copy of the SONY Manual!!! Just let us know when you order the kit please as the manual doers not generally come with the kits. the factory service Manual is a 25.00 value!!!! also be sure to include your e-mail address when asking for your manual.
Larry Dillon

Larry Dillon
to all those who ask a higher

to all those who ask a higher stk number is NOT Better!!!!
Larry Dillon

KSL
I could not get hold of

I could not get hold of anyone at tvrepairkits.com to know what #STK chips were included in the kit. My t.v has STK392-560 and I wanted to make sure that the kit came with that chip. They never responded to my email.

Larry Dillon
KSL, did you leave a contact,

KSL, did you leave a contact, they told me they got your message but you forgot to include your contact (E-Mail) same as you did here???!!!
Larry Dillon

KSL
Dillon, I am sure they have

Dillon, I am sure they have my email. My request was copied to my email and I do see my email there.. So do you know the answer? will kit have STK392-560 I am looking for?

Larry Dillon
yes they will should have

yes they will should have everything you need and if it does not start a repair ticket at tvrepairkits.com/helpdesk
Good Luck Larry Dillon

redman3170
I have the Sony KP-51WS510

I have the Sony KP-51WS510 and I would like to get the service manual for this tv because I am going to be changing some pico fuses and IC circuits. Thank You in advance!

redman3170
Hello Larry Dillon, I would

Hello Larry Dillon, I would like to get the service manual for the Sony KP-51WS510 if at all possible. My addy is yourstrulyinsc at yahoo dot com. Thank You in advance.

sgtbecktar
Hi All:

Hi All:

I’m trying to fix my Sony KP 46WT510. I’ve replace the two convergence chips. I also needed to replace two 3.5 amp picofuses, one for each chip. These fuses are labeled as P58001 and P58002. They are the “same” picofuse for each of the two chips (meaning they are located in the same relative position on each of the two different IC chips).

One of the pico fuses keeps blowing out. It is the one that is traced to the GH_OUT output. As I understand it, one IC chip controls the RED convergence and half of the GREEN convergence, while the other IC chip controls the BLUE convergence and the other half of the GREEN. It is the BLUE chip IÂ’m having problems with.

After replacing and blowing this same picofuse three times (P58002), I finally noticed that a whole row of resistors next to it were burnt out. I do not know when this occurred, but IÂ’m assuming that this is why the picofuse keeps blowing. There are 5 resistors that are burnt, all next to each other and (I assume) are chained together. They are designated as R8046, R8053, R8060, R8064, R8067.

A have a few questions:

1) Am I right in assuming that the burnt-out resistors were the reason my picofuse kept blowing out, or is it the other way around - that the resistors finally burnt out because I kept trying new picofuses and they finally had enough? If I am wrong about the resistors, what is causing that picofuse to blow? A short? I know from reading about this that resistors blowing is pretty rare for this type of fix, so IÂ’m worried why so many of mine blew out.

2) IÂ’m operating under the assumption that my RED IC Convergence replacement chip is functioning since 1) none of the fuses have blown since replacement and 2) I am able to move the RED cross-hair in the Convergence Setup Screen in all directions. Is this a correct assumption? Curiously enough, I am also able to move the BLUE cross-hair in the Convergence Setup Screen in all directions as well, which confuses me since that chipÂ’s picofuse has blown out every time. What is the best way to know if my RED IC Convergence chip is good? What is the best way for me to know that my RED chip is doing itÂ’s half in controlling the GREEN like it should?

3) My plan of action: Replace all of the resistors listed: R8046, R8053, R8060, R8064, R8067, with 4.7 ohm, 0.5 watt resistors. The only difference is that the resistors I got have a 5% tolerance band while the resistors IÂ’m replacing have a 2% tolerance band. Is this OK? Then I plan to replace the 3.5 amp picofuse (P58002) for the fourth time. I have already de-soldered my replacement BLUE IC Convergence chip so I can resolder it and make sure it is clean. I plan to do that part last. Is there anything I should look out for or know, or do you think this is the right plan of action?

Thanks so much for any and all help from anyone, I canÂ’t tell you how much IÂ’ve learned reading about this Convergence problem in Sony TVs and from people like you. Very much appreciated.

Larry Dillon
to start out with the IC'S

to start out with the IC'S are the reason the fuses blow out, and BOTH IC"S should be replaced at the same time!! ALSO YOU NEED THE RIGHT IC"S AS NOT THE LEAST EXPENSIVE ONES AVAILABLE AS THEY should be original Sanyo IC'S as those inexpensive ones you can buy-online will work but you most likely will need to reajust everything and that can take hours and the chips will probably burn out in a vert short period of time The best advice I can tell you at this point is to go to tvrepairkits.com and order the complete convergence kit for your model of TV set, no need to search and order multiple parts from different sources and pay multiple shipping fees! The kit comes with original Sanyo STK IC’S , not those cheap aftermarket or china made IC’S full pictorial directions, the thermal paste, resistors, the correct Pico fuses, AND free live on-Line tech assistance in case you run into a problem with the repair. They ship out 2 to 3 day Priority mail, the next day in most cases, Also I will move this to the public forum so please no more PM
Larry Dillon

Pages

Connect With Techlore