sony KP-51WS510-convergence ic-help

936 posts / 0 new
Last post
avpatjac
KSL said:

KSL said:
I replaced the IC chips but now my calibration is way off. I know how to go about going into the service mode but I don't have the right numbers to input into the fields.
The calibration problem was result of my own tinkering. Prior to replacing the IC chip I thought I could fix it going into service mode and adjusting the alignment. I was wrong.
The IC chip replacement did fix the convergence issue I had. :)

I would say click Menu (on the Remote)> Go to Setup (to the far right) > Go down to Flash Focus (after you hit "Start"let it complete. It takes about 5-10 seconds.) That may help till your able to do a full Convergence.

avpatjac
Larry,

Larry,

I appreciate your knowledge and expertise. I'm curious if there is a layout for where the pico fuses are located and if there is possibly a picture of properly soldered IC Chips. I would just like to compare what I have done. I should have remembered to take a picture before soldering the new chips in place. A diagram of the pico chip location will allow me to use my multitester to verify if any of the pico fuses need to be replaced. Also, can a copy of the service manual be sent my way. I found a file on techlore but it does not complete downloading for some odd reason. Thanks again for your assistance.

avpatjac
onlyloco said:

onlyloco said:
I decided to do the fix today. I was a little concerned about being shocked but everything went fine. I order the parts from Tvrepairkits.com and received them fast. Today I changed the parts. I did have a problem. When I was de-soldering the IC, the metal part in the board for the 3rd pin came out. I thought I was now going to have to send the board to be repaired, however, after taking a closer look I saw that the third pin is not connected to anything =) . so it really didnÂ't matter.. Here is a pic
Photobucket
I replaced the part as per the instruction received and now it works fine. I only had to replace the ICs. For those attempting the fix, make sure you are careful when de-soldering the board,
Thank you and good luck!!!

Hello Onlyloco,

Hope you don't mind my contacting you about the repair kit. Is it possible to recieve a copy of the instructions? I'm trying to test if any of my Pico Fuses are bad and need to find where the locations are at. If my pico fuses are good then I'm going to have to get the full kit myself but I'd rather be able to use my mutitester to make sure all the fuses are good or if any have gone bad that caused my install of the ICChips tonot complete successfully. Thanks. [email protected]

avpatjac
In replacing the IC Chips

In replacing the IC Chips which is better white thermal compound or silver based thermal compound?

avpatjac
I've tried to download the

I've tried to download the service manual from a couple systems. I get a file I/O error when the download completes. Are the Pico Fuses located under the Heat Sinks and marked RB100, RB101, RB113, RB114, RB115 and RB116? If so, then I have ID'd the pico fuses and will try to test all six.

avpatjac
Larry,

Larry,

I unsoldered one end on each and ran the multitester on each. I received a solid response for each. None had a low reading. So do you think it might be bad IC Chips?

ricolac
Hi Larry,

Hi Larry,
Success! I would like to thank you on all your posts. I read not all but most of your instructions on replacing both the stk392-560 on my sony kp-51ws510 (vertical blue cross out of convergence). I tested also all those orange colored resistors all of the same resistance. Cleaned those 3 lenses.
And plugged in my TV, worked excellent without adjusting the flash focus (hoping to last another year).

One thing I noticed, flash focus is working but the convergence adjustment is grayed out (which means cannot be adjusted). Is that normal? Or is there way to reset it? Or ignore it anyway convergence problem was solved.

Thanks to you and more power to techlore.com.

ricolac

Larry Dillon
if the convergence is ok to

if the convergence is ok to you dont worry about the flash focus and the reason a lot of folks have bad adjustments afterb they replace the ic's is because they try to fix the sets without replacing the ic's and if they were not to lazy to read the entire post it tells you several times not to touch the adjustment before they replace the ic's i cannot count how many times customers have ruined sets because they did not want to lay out a few bucks to properly fix this sets convergence problems If you crank the adjustments too far to one direction it can overload the brand new ic's and blow them up.

Larry Dillon
glad to hear you fixed it

glad to hear you fixed it yourself feels good to save 400 to 600 bucks dosent it?
Larry D.

KSL
Larry, I am one of them.

Larry, I am one of them. Would doing a calibration help fix the problem?

avpatjac
Larry,

Larry,

I unsoldered one end of what I think were the six 3.15A pico fuses under the heat sinks. Now the convergence is even worse. It would be nice to be able to verify the location of the two G-Board pico fuses. I was finally able after many attempts to get the service manual to download. But I soon found out that the diagrams have been removed from the pdf. There is a serious reason why I do not want to (or actually cannot) purchase the full repair kit, just right yet, from tvrepairkit.com. But I would really appreciate if you could give a little assitance right now. We can take it offline if needed. I'm serious when I say that your expertise would be highly appreciated. Thanks

Larry Dillon
The best advice I can tell

The best advice I can tell you at this point is to go to TV repair kits.com and order the complete convergence kit for your model of TV set, click on here please: http://www.tvrepairkits.com/xcart/home.php?partner=larry
no need to search and order multiple parts from different sources and pay multiple shipping fees! The kit comes with original Sanyo STK ICÂ’S , not those cheap aftermarket or china made ICÂ’S full pictorial directions, the thermal paste, resistors, the correct Pico fuses, AND free live on-Line tech assistance in case you run into a problem with the repair. They ship out 2 to 3 day Priority mail, the next day in most cases,

Larry Dillon
avpatjac The best advice I

avpatjac The best advice I can tell you at this point is to go to TV repair kits.com and order the complete convergence kit for your model of TV set, click on here please: http://www.tvrepairkits.com/xcart/home.php?partner=larry
no need to search and order multiple parts from different sources and pay multiple shipping fees! The kit comes with original Sanyo STK IC'S , not those cheap aftermarket or china made IC'S full pictorial directions, the thermal paste, resistors, the correct Pico fuses, AND free live on-Line tech assistance in case you run into a problem with the repair. They ship out 2 to 3 day Priority mail, the next day in most cases,

Larry Dillon
they should be two yellow or

they should be two yellow or green resistor looking devices without any color bands on them you will need tocheck them for continuity.

djcarlos638
Hi everyone!!!!! yes larry i

Hi everyone!!!!! yes larry i am one of the lazy, cheap, iknowitall, mr. thetechisFOSthismayfixit, stuborn, guys that tried to fix my tvs and moved any possible adjustment on the set (including service mode settings) before buying and replacing the stks (ic's).What exactly do you mean ruin the sets by doing that? can the tv still be fixed putting everything back or something and then replacing the ic's? thanks for the help. my model numbers are KP46WT510, KP51WS500, KP57WS500, KP57WS500 ETC... i just wanted i big screen for my son. i promised him one and i have been picking up tvs left and right trying to make one work but i am running out of space.

ButchK
Hello, looks like I'm having

Hello, looks like I'm having a similar convergence problem with my Sony KP-43HT20...just wondering if anyone has the service manual for this model as well...My Email address is: [email protected] !!!

cjddgeo
Just wanted to drop a line

Just wanted to drop a line and thank all in this thread. A couple of weeks ago I changed out the IC chips in my 51" and after a few adjustments my tv is good if not better than new. Thanks again

Chris

Larry Dillon
you are very welcome, did you

you are very welcome, did you read the original e-mail I posted to you??
Larry D.

Larry Dillon
djcarlos638, get the service

djcarlos638, get the service manual and do a service mode reset as per the service manual. and i did not mean what I said like you put it so please do not take it to heart I was trying to make a point!!
Larry, Also do not buy the cheapest ic's you can find as they probably are not original ic's The best advice I can tell you at this point is to go to TV repair kits.com and order the complete convergence kit for your model of TV set, click on here please: http://www.tvrepairkits.com/xcart/home.php?partner=larry
no need to search and order multiple parts from different sources and pay multiple shipping fees! The kit comes with original Sanyo STK ICÂ’S , not those cheap aftermarket or china made ICÂ’S full pictorial directions, the thermal paste, resistors, the correct Pico fuses, AND free live on-Line tech assistance in case you run into a problem with the repair. They ship out 2 to 3 day Priority mail, the next day in most cases,
Larry Dillon

Larry Dillon
a service manual is also

a service manual is also available here at the site also or in techlores technicians corner

Larry Dillon
ksl no if the convergence is

ksl no if the convergence is out of adjustment do not try to adjust it without first replacing the convergence ic's, The best advice I can tell you at this point is to go to TV repair kits.com and order the complete convergence kit for your model of TV set, click on here please: http://www.tvrepairkits.com/xcart/home.php?partner=larry

Larry Dillon
That pin on number three is

That pin on number three is not used so do not worry about the pin number three like I said it is not used
Larry D

Larry Dillon
you should NEVER TRY TO

you should NEVER TRY TO ADJUST THE SET BEFORE REPLACING THE IC"S AND THE PICO FUSES why don't you just order the convergence kit from here it has all the pictures and the parts you will need from here!!!????
http://www.tvrepairkits.com/xcart/home.php?partner=larry

avpatjac
I received the pico fuses in

I received the pico fuses in the mail today. Removed the blown fuses and soldered in the new pico fuses. What a difference that made. The picture is just a slight bit out of focus but overall it is near 100%. Thanks to everyone and those that sent the service manual.

ErinK
I had my convergence chip

I had my convergence chip replaced 3 weeks ago. This was the second time I called out the same repair guy in the last year- Now my Sony TV turns on, sometimes with sound, but no picture...and the red standby/timer light is blinking 5 times- I am wondering if the code for this issue has anything to do with the convergence issues we have had. And if the repairman who we have spent almost $600 in the last year maybe could have done something wrong when fixing this, or ignored what really was needing replaced in the first place. Do these issues have anything to do with one another- my husband called him again and he said he would "give us a deal" to fix it, but he says it has nothing to do with what he was just out here to fix last time, but I still feel like he is being shady- I would like to have some info on what the issue is before he comes back out here tomorrow, so I can let him know I am not oblivious to what is going on...any info will be helpful. Email me at: [email protected] THANK YOU!!

Larry Dillon
Probably not using the

Probably not using the original Sanyo IC's. Sanyo made the convergence IC's most peple use inexpensive convergence parts and this is the outcome, they do not last as long SO,The best advice I can tell you at this point is to go to http://www.tvrepairkits.com/xcart/home.php?partner=larry and order the complete convergence kit for your model of TV set, no need to search and order multiple parts from different sources and pay multiple shipping fees! The kit comes with original Sanyo STK IC'S , not those cheap aftermarket or china made IC'S full pictorial directions, the thermal paste, resistors, the correct Pico fuses, AND free live on-Line tech assistance in case you run into a problem with the repair. They ship out 2 to 3 day Priority mail, the next day in most cases GOOD LUCK!!!
Larry Dillon

avpatjac
I wound up going through the

I wound up going through the Convergence Process after the flash focusw two times. The picture is now perfect.

Larry Dillon
but you said the set shut

but you said the set shut down I understood I thought??

Timmy Nguyen
I just bought IC STK392-560

I just bought IC STK392-560 for my Sony model KP51WS510 and need your help how to replace them. Please send me the screen shot and where to look for them. My email address is [email protected]. Thank you so much.

Larry Dillon
you need more than just ic's

you need more than just ic's but you also need original ic, thermal paste, pico fuses The best advice I can tell you at this point is to go to tvrepairkits.com and order the complete convergence kit for your model of TV set, no need to search and order multiple parts from different sources and pay multiple shipping fees! Go to http://www.tvrepairkits.com/xcart/home.php?partner=larry
The kit comes with original Sanyo STK IC'S , not those cheap aftermarket or china made IC'S full pictorial directions, the thermal paste, resistors, the correct Pico fuses, AND free live on-Line tech assistance in case you run into a problem with the repair. They ship out 2 to 3 day Priority mail, the next day in most cases GOOD LUCK!!!
Larry Dillon.

Pages

Connect With Techlore