Magnavox 51MP392H/17 51" TV has double vision

252 posts / 0 new
Last post
slr_65
Yep, that what it does when

Yep, that what it does when the fluid gets contaminated and the blue is usually the first to start showing it. Green probably needs done too. Red hardly ever does.

It can be done and it's cheap so if you like working on them then have at it, else just look for another one of a different brand on CraigsList - Sonys, JVCs, Mitsubishis, etc. rarely suffer from fluid contamination but do suffer from convergence and are about as much work as the Magnavox so I rarely even consider a Philips/Maganavox these days.

evil
http://www.techlore.com
slr_65
That's a fine article Evil,

That's a fine article Evil, but I don't think it's going to help him. I've only worked on ONE Philips Magnavox that didn't have fluid contamination so I'm betting dimes to donuts that that's his problem - especially when it's the blue manifesting the problem, it's always the blue that shows up first. He'll clean it and then notice the green . . .

It's not really that hard of a job, probably no worse than convergence, but it's a job I just loath for some reason! I avoid changing crt fluid like the plague!

I have all the big screens I want at my house so any I work on are just for friends and family so I can be choosey and don't have to take on those projects. If it were a tv I already owned and liked though I'd give it a shot, you have nothing to lose. If you're looking at CraigsList bargain to repair though keep looking for another brand without this problem.

evil
In my experience when the

In my experience when the tubes are contaminated the screen looks tie dyed http://www.tvrepairkits.com/xcart/popup_image.php?type=D&id=23875&title=... or dark/dim not one color more than the other the best way to tell would be to take the screen off the front and look directly into the crt's with it on and running and see if he can see the light coming from the crt clearly or if it is obstructed. http://www.tvrepairkits.com/xcart/product.php?productid=23875&cat=3540&p...

slr_65
The tie dye is when it gets

The tie dye is when it gets really bad, in my experience it usually shows up first with a blue halo around bright lettering like is showing up in this image:

http://www.tvrepairkits.com/xcart/popup_image.php?type=D&id=23875&title=...

I wouldn't suggest looking directly into a running crt! Those things are BRIGHT! A flashlight will normally suffice - just look into them when they're not running with a good AA maglight is all it takes. The red is rarely affected so look at the red and then compare to the blue and green.

Bottom line is that 99.9% of the Philips/Magnavox develop this issue and they're all getting old enough now that almost all of them are now exhibiting this problem. If it's a Philips/Magnavox and it's showing blue halos around the bright text on the screen then you'll be changing fluid . . . (or scopeing CraigsList for a better set! <- that's my option! Did I mention I HATE changing crt fluid? LOL!)

evil
A halo could also be caused

A halo could also be caused by incorrect focus or one crt brighter than the other,adjusting focus and brightness doesnt cost a thing,which is why I suggest that first.The crt's aren't as bright as laser lights,like those at a football game or rave or bowling alley and the laser doesnt pose a major threat,or else they wouldn't be allowed at such public locations,to someone unless they look directly at it for long peiods of time,which it doesnt take that long to figure out if the light is coming out of the crt clearly or not.Using a flashlight usually tends to reflect off the focus lens causing poor results,and there is usually always some trash in the focus lens obstructing your view as well as the flashlight reflecting back at you makes for a hard determination when using that method.

evil
Changing the fluid doesn't

Changing the fluid doesn't bother me that much its the removing the crt from the set and disconnecting the hundreds{exaggeration}of wires going to it.I use a shop vac 2 litre bottle and hoses from a brake bleeding kit, :) I let the shop vac do the work for me.

weaponepsilon
I did some adjustments to the

I did some adjustments to the focus and brightness and it doesnt seem to change much although the previous owner had everything cranked. The bleeding colors stay. As much as I would absolutely love to grab that 60" mitsubishi tv off CL, that means a lot of taking the old one down a flight of stairs and putting the new set up one. It wasn't easy the first time and my friend who helped told me that it wasnt happening again.

I am a bit of an optimist, so if it changing the CRT fluid is the answer, I'd be interested. You guys seem to be much more on the ball this go around and I really appreciate it. Please indulge me again and point me in the direction of a CRT Fluid changing tutorial.

slr_65
This is a good tutorial:

This is a good tutorial:

http://www.riddledtv.com/journal/CRTCoolant/index.html

*) You need to clean the entire assembly, some say to just leave eveything in place and suck the fluid out and put new in but if you do that the problem WILL return. Take the crt out, clean it well, and refill / reinstall is the only permanent solution.

*) The crt pcb - sometimes has silicone or a screw holding it on so see if there is any, if not then it's usually kinda tight - just pull straight down and wiggle a little and it should come off.

*) To remove the fluid I use the turkey baster method. I found a turkey baster at Walmart that has an opening in it's end that's a friction fit for the aquarium air line tubing they have over in the pet department. I cut a short length off, stick it up into the baster, then just tightly wrapped black electrical tape around it (the stretchy kind, not the cheap stuff). This jury-rigged setup works fine, though it's ssslllooowww. The fluid is pretty thick so it's slow to draw up, and the baster only holds 1/2- 3/4 ounce I think it is so you gotta do several extractions with it. I set the crt with the rear propped up so if some fluid leaked out it would flow forward and not backward.

*) The fluid will be nasty brown - you will be amazed!

*) Buy another baster to put clean fluid in with to avoid cross contamination.

*) You can re-use the gasket by putting a thin layer of silicone gasket sealer on both sides of it and letting it setup over night before refilling the crt.

*) When you take them apart the c-lens usually stays with the gasket on the body, not in the lens housing. It doesn't go together easily that way though, when reassembling the move is to lightly silicone up the gasket and then center it on the body, then install the C-lens into the lens housing, put a couple screws in diagonal across from each other in the lens housing, then use the screws to locate the screw holes on the main housing to center up the lens assembly and then screw it all down.

*) Put some cardboard and paper towels under the CRT tubes when you first fire it up just in case it starts to leak once everything warms up. check it frequently after you fire it up.

Good luck, post back how it goes.

Steve

evil
It can be done in the cabinet

It can be done in the cabinet but i prefer to remove them,it just makes things so much simpler,the first would be to remove the crt drive board by wiggling it side to side while pushishing down on it,be aware of where your fingers are so as not to touch any of the circuits on it or under it,then you will have to remove all the wires to the deflection yoke and dag grounds,on some models the crt's are attached to one another with a permanent wire in that case you have to remove all the crt's and the case they set in,take lots of picture and mark all of the wires if you do choose to remove the crt's,turn it up so that the fill tube is facing up and remove the plug then remove all of the fluid in the crt stand it upright and then remove the focus lens and follow this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZJ0o2g8BLE but use denatured alcohol to kill the bacteria and clean it with then use distilled water to remove any and all traces of the alcohol,installation is reverse of removal.

evil
If you need anymore help you

If you need anymore help you will have start a new thread,the original posters question has been answered and this thread is severely derailing and will be closed.

Pages

Connect With Techlore