KARL G
FIRST I HAD THE RED CURVE

FIRST I HAD THE RED CURVE LINE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE SCREEN
NOW I HAVE NO PICTURE AT ALL. I THINK I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEMS
SOME OF YOU HAVE DESCRIBE. PLEASE POST ANY SUGGESTION OR RESPOND TO
MY EMAIL.

Zero-G
Again I wish you could really

Again I wish you could really edit your own posts here. I could clean up my mistakes and explain what I learned as I went along much better.

Latest IC replacement info condensed:

51MP392H/17

Actually I have this TV and you need 2 Convergence IC's STK392-120's (120's and 150's will work) of course order 2 of the same type I'm using replacement 150's they allow for a little higher heat and were cheaper ALSO you need to replace the 12 resistors with 6.8 ohm metal film resistors, make sure they are metal film! donÂ’t skimp out here I did and then they blew and fried my IC's and I had to replace everything again!

Great reference link that I posted pictures on, check out page 3
http://www.techlore.com/forum/thread/16736/Magnavox-51MP392H-17-51-quot-...

Where I got all my parts that worked:
Suburban Electronics http://www.suburban-elect.com/
Manual Library you should find all you need here:
http://www.techlore.com/group/2/list_downloads

What you need:
(2) STK392-120 OR STK392-150 IC chips
(12) 6.8 Ohm Metal Film resistors
set of star screw drivers
15 watt pencil solder pencil, DO NOT use a high watt iron you will fry the surface mounted item.
good leaded solder, and flux

BTW if you donÂ’t plan on trying this and are going to throw out the TV, I still need a IC convergence board for a 51MP392H/17 TV I'm fixing, I'm willing to pay S/H and buy your IC board thatÂ’s not been tampered with. [email protected]

cougar1234
No one has spoken of dangers

No one has spoken of dangers in these processes. I have the magnavox 3d picture problem and im gonna try and do this myself. But 1 time i took my daughters tv cover off cause the antenna cable connection was lose and it shocked the living heck out of me. So in all my ramblings is what do i stay away from or if i leave the tv disconnected for a period of time will the power disepate?

Larry Dillon
herer is the location fo the

herer is the location fo the maggy service msnual so you can find th stk convergence part numbers and how the set comes apart. Tis should help you a lot!!http://www.techlore.com/downloads/file/25738/SERVICE_MANUAL_DPTV305_DPTV...

Doin12volt
I have a full convergence

I have a full convergence board for a 51mp392h here. I am parting this set out, as it has a bad FBT, and I have looked for one for 3 months now with no progress. I also have the 3 crt's, and the power supply board.

The lenticular screen has a small crack in it, the fresnel screen is fine, the screen bezel is fine too, as is the switch panel and mirror - if you need any of these parts, just email me at [email protected] - I thought i posted this before... Did it get deleted? Am i doing something wrong? Just trying to help others out...

Zero-G
THANKS, however I finally

THANKS, however I finally found the exact same tv with the same problem bought it, gutted it, and repaired and preplaced the convergence board! it works like NEW again...

however for those of you looking for parts I now have the entire guts of a 51MP392H/17 minus the convergence board. I'm sell parts from it. everything works, I even have 2 remotes now one for each chair I'm so lazy!

only part I'd be conserned with sell is the blue light/gun has a little burn in that is sometimes noticable.

Want to thank everyone on this site for helping me along this LONG road to repairing my TV, but it looks great NOW! thanks...

ecollier2012
FYI - You can get a parts kit

FYI - You can get a parts kit from http://www.TvRepairKits.com to repair the convergence on the Magnavox Projection sets. The kit includes original Sanyo chips, 6.8 OHM convergence metal film flameproof resistors, and a step by step photo insruction guide. The kit has everthing you would need to do the repair.

Hope this helps

Cessna Pilot
I know this an old posting

I know this an old posting but I wanted to pipe in here too. Thanks to all that have contributed to this posting. With all of your help I was able to pin down my trouble, order the parts and install TWO Sanyo STK392-120 IC's. Hooked it all back up and did some needed adjustments using the service manual and turned it on. Then .....................HECK YEA !!!!! MY BIG SCREEN IS BACK! looks great too.

Thanks again gang.

MD HDTV Guy
One note to this thread I

One note to this thread I decided to have a tech do the repair being unsure of my soldering skills.
When He got under the hood he told me that by keeping the set on and in use while the chip was bad the resistors were to the point of catching on fire!!So.. If you have this problem dont use the TV in this broken state.!

cajunboy
I have the same issues with

I have the same issues with my TV as everyone else. I've changed the resistors to the red and both IC's. I can't get the red line to line up with the green line. The red line on top look like a smiling face and the bottom as a sad face. The middle lines are straight. I've tried to line up the red to green line and can not move the red line up or down, but can move them side to side. Any suggestion what i am maybe doing wrong?

Doin12volt
It sounds like you have a bad

It sounds like you have a bad resistor or two still. Remember, in oredr to check them you should pull one leg out of the pcb and then measure it with a meter so you can cross check that with the value it is supposed to be. the only other thing I can think that would explain the red not moving is a bad pico fuse in the convergence board somewhere.

when you said you changed the resistors to the red, you werent talking about the yoke board were you?

cajunboy
Doin12volt said: It sounds

Doin12volt said: It sounds like you have a bad resistor or two still. Remember, in oredr to check them you should pull one leg out of the pcb and then measure it with a meter so you can cross check that with the value it is supposed to be. the only other thing I can think that would explain the red not moving is a bad pico fuse in the convergence board somewhere. when you said you changed the resistors to the red, you werent talking about the yoke board were you?

I didn't mess with the yoke board at all. I replace the resistor for the red or the resistors that are in from of the plug in on the board for the red. The numbers of the resistors that I replaced were 3159 and 3160. Thanks for a quick response.... 

Doin12volt
I would still say to pull one

I would still say to pull one leg of each resistor in the convergence output section and meter them to make sure they are within spec.. I had a JVC that was twisted like this due to 1 bad resistor I missed - as far as the red not moving, I still think you may have a blown fuse on the board - the two round black parts below the red plug are labeled 1700, and 1701. - those are fuses, make sure they meter good. The resistors you should be most worried about are 3162, 3165, but also check 3161, 3164, 3163, 3166 - they are all LARGE green ones.

cajunboy
Thanks a bunch Doin12volt..I

Thanks a bunch Doin12volt..I'll give that a try and see what happens....

DSM_23
My tv has just had the same

My tv has just had the same problem for a while and Im about ready to tackle the problem, if anyone could please verify that Im about to be purchasing the correct materials/amounts, that would be extremely helpful, from my reading so far I think I need:
2 of these IC's:
http://www.tristatemodule.com/catalog.aspx?storename=rivervalleyelectron...

and 12 of these resistors? Correct?
http://www.suburban-elect.com/display/6.8-%40-1WF/6.8-%40-1WF

Im not going to be putting the chips and resistors in myself so I was just making sure I had the correct parts to take to the guy doing it. Thank you for all this great info guys!

DSM_23
My tv has just had the same

My tv has just had the same problem for a while and Im about ready to tackle the problem, if anyone could please verify that Im about to be purchasing the correct materials/amounts, that would be extremely helpful, from my reading so far I think I need:
2 of these IC's:
http://www.tristatemodule.com/catalog.aspx?storename=rivervalleyelectron...

and 12 of these resistors? Correct?
http://www.suburban-elect.com/display/6.8-%40-1WF/6.8-%40-1WF

Im not going to be putting the chips and resistors in myself so I was just making sure I had the correct parts to take to the guy doing it. Thank you for all this great info guys!

Doin12volt
Parts all look correct DSM_23

Parts all look correct DSM_23! i believe you may only need 6 of the resistors - but get 12 just to play it safe..

DSM_23
Yea I figured why not just

Yea I figured why not just replace all the ones just in case, Thanks for the quick reply! Where exactly are the resistors at in relation to the IC's? I havent had a chance to see the board yet, do you have a picture by chance?

Doin12volt
sure, give me a moment, I

sure, give me a moment, I will take a pic and do a bit of work in paint... lol

Doin12volt
Ok... These are your

Ok... These are your convergence IC's:

Here is the board in its entirety:

Here are the resistors, the big green ones are the main ones to worry about (the 2 black circles on the bottom right are the fuses you need to check):

Heres a shot of the resistors in relation to the IC's:

DSM_23
Ok thank you soooo much for

Ok thank you soooo much for the help esp with the pics! So Im assuming I dont need to worry about the smaller resistors (light blue ones) at all? just the green ones only?

Doin12volt
By the way... if someone

By the way... if someone needs a convergence board, the one in the above pictures is for sale, New IC's and resistors already in!!!

Doin12volt
well, the blues CAN go bad,

well, the blues CAN go bad, But i havent personally ever had trouble with them...the green larger resistors, the fuses, and the IC's on this particular set are what seems to be common- the only other thing I can think of on this set is to recommend cleaning and changing the coolant in the blue crt if yours has a cloudy appearance - it seems blue gets contaminated alot in these Magnavox's

Maytag
Hi Doin12volt, how much for

Hi Doin12volt, how much for the convergence board? I was the original poster on this issue, and I have yet to fix it! Maybe I am afraid of being electricuted but if I can just replace the board, it may minimize my risk ;)

Thanks!
Rob

Doin12volt
does 120 + shipping sound

does 120 + shipping sound fair to you? I have 60+ in parts already.

DSM_23
Oh yea one more thing

Oh yea one more thing speaking of getting electrocuted haha, whats the area of the TV to stay away from while under there? Haha

Maytag
Hi Doin12volt, I will bring

Hi Doin12volt, I will bring it to the attention of the marriage committe tonight and let you know the results tomorrow. Thanks again!

Rob

dbthompson
I recently changed the

I recently changed the convergence ic's and the 12 resisors, convergence was near perfect afterwards. I had a green tint which I was able to adjust by turning the adj screws in the back but I cannot get the colors to look right to me, either to red or green or blue. I do not have the original remote and cannot access the setup menu. I have seen mention of the adjustment being in the service manual but I do not see it in there. Can someone paste it here or explain it to me please ?
thanks

dthompson
recently changed the

recently changed the convergence ic's and the 12 resisors, convergence was near perfect afterwards. I had a green tint which I was able to adjust by turning the adj screws in the back but I cannot get the colors to look right to me, either to red or green or blue. I do not have the original remote and cannot access the setup menu. I have seen mention of the adjustment being in the service manual but I do not see it in there. Can someone paste it here or explain it to me please ?
thanks

Doin12volt
Triple reply guys- read below

Triple reply guys- read below -

DSM23 -the main thing to stay away from in there is the Flyback transformer - It looks sort of like a cars distributor with small red wires that look like "spark plug" wires on a car.That transformer can stay charged by static electricity in the air, and can harbor enough voltage to injure or kill you - treat it with RESPECT!

Rob - "Marriage Committe" Thats funny as hell man- I have never heard it put that way before. Just remember, Sometimes it is easier to beg forgiveness than it is to ask permission, - Thats what I go by...LOL

Dthompson.. It is a common occurance on this set to have bacteria grow inside the CRT Coolant, making the colors go weird, and making the screen look hazy and foggy. I would not play with the adjustments on the back of the set, they control the voltage each CRT gets, and you can really mess up a tv like this by adjusting the HV without knowledge. Look straight into the crts with the tv on (you shouldnt do this, but i do...lol) Its really bright, youll have to squint, but see if the picture inside the lens is foggy or dis-colored- if it is, you need to service the CRT's ( clean them and change the CRT coolant)

Pages

Connect With Techlore