Magnavox 51MP392H/17 51" TV has double vision

252 posts / 0 new
Last post
Snake Eyes
ok well that is were i got

ok well that is were i got the kit so hopefully it will arrive soon

Larry Dillon
yes the cheap one from radio

yes the cheap one from radio shack works just fine .

TRIMMERBIRD
Snake Eyes said: cool man

Snake Eyes said: cool man thanks did u use the cheap desoldering iron from radio shack or a good one?

I was impressed with the way the cheap one from radio shack worked. I will recommend it, any day.

Larry Dillon
I have used the radio shack

I have used the radio shack one for years and years and for many applications.
Larry Dillon.

Snake Eyes
thanks one again guys ill be

thanks one again guys ill be sure to try it out

Larry Dillon
like i said mine has never

like i said mine has never broken or quit on me yet to this day!!!!! Larry

Snake Eyes
Well i got my kit today and

Well i got my kit today and it works lol i was worried when i used the wrong ic's and it didnt work but now im happy

Larry Dillon
so let me get this right you

so let me get this right you used the cheap ic's is that what you mean by using the wrong ic's? at first then ordered the kit and then you got the set working????
Larry Dillon.

Snake Eyes
nope i used 180's they were

nope i used 180's they were sanyo ics but like i said i was told on another forum that they would work obviously they didnt. But now i noticed i might still have a problem on my set i have AV/2 which is component or composite input and the standard yellow video works but i cant get the video to work on the blue green red side why would this happen im trying to kook my xbox 360 up to it. and when i hook it up to the AV 4 which is the high def composite input i get a snowing screen but with colors not sure what is going on therei have never used that one before so i dont even know what my tv is capable of, meaning is it 480i 480p 720p 1080i or 1080p im thinking maybe its might be 480i and it wont work due to the fact that the xbox's lowest setting is 480p not sure just an idea any info would be great.

Larry Dillon
oh another person following

oh another person following bogus info on other help-sites. never use anything else than what comes out of the set. I have heard and help fix so many sets because the owner read that they could improve the operation by using different parts??? NEVER USE ANY OTHER PARTS other than the number that come out of the set.I have seen boards completely burn up almost every solid state part on the board by not using the right parts DON'T believe everything you read!!!!!
Larry Dillon.

Snake Eyes
well i believed u lol turned

well i believed u lol turned out to be ok

Snake Eyes
hey larry , can u give me

hey larry , can u give me some pointers on replacing my crt fluid? now that the convergence is fixed id like to try and get my picture as new as possible. or maybe a link to direction on how to do it before i order the parts not sure if i want to get into that or not.

Larry Dillon
if You have bad cooling

if You have bad cooling fluid inside the picture tubes, and if if you are handy this kit can bring the same brightness your set used to have when you first bought it.tvrepairkits.com has a kit that was put together for the DIY person. the kit includes everything you will need including GREAT instructions! a great way to save about 200.00 to 300.00 hundred bucks these days! The kit also comes with Free online tech assistance in case you have a problem with the repair!Good Luck!!
technician AKA- Larry Dillon.

neb12pmgr
my husband made this repair

my husband made this repair today picture nearly perfect still having trouble with red convergance lining up. Will change out the resistors next and expect to resolve this problem without issue. However, now we have a new problem we have completely lost audio. Did we get something crossed up when we reconnected the board? Any body? Thanks!

Frankiepaul
Just finished the repair also

Just finished the repair also, I would strongly recommend removing the board and not try doing the repair in console, it is very easy to do, practicing with the tools as instructed helped greatly I would recommend NOT skipping this. the kit I recieved from tvrepairkits.com and the instructions were spot on, I didnt replace the twelve resistors mine shown no discoloration, it was interesting as a note that after the repair I did the convergence adjustment and saved the settings while the TV was set to watch cable shows and everthing was great, when I went to watch a BlueRay disk the convergance was all wierded out again, I adjusted it again here resaved it and all was well, so dont know why but just to note I had to adjust the convergance for both. good and easy repair.

Snake Eyes
thats great i replaced all 12

thats great i replaced all 12 resistors even the good ones i only had a few bad ones and i started the set up and didnt even have to adjust the convergence was perfect from the start

Larry Dillon
if it is only one color that

if it is only one color that does not adjust try making sure all of the right pico fuses as well as the resistors check good and if they look brown or scorchedthey have to be replaced. to test the picos please remove one side tocheck them for continuity properly!!
Larry D.

Larry Dillon
snake Eyes, please follow the

snake Eyes, please follow the repair instructions to the letter

codyhart
i am having the same problem

i am having the same problem what part do i need to fix the double picture and tteh green tint ?

codyhart
what can i do to fix the

what can i do to fix the double picture and the green tint?

juggalofr33k
Thanks to everyone in this

Thanks to everyone in this whole thread! I had this EXACT same problem. When I first got the TV from a friend, i looked up the model number and problems with it and the first picture that popped up had the same problem too! And thanks to all the information I collected from this post helped me fix the problem. It was just the two IC chips that I ordered from eBay for 20 bucks and a tube of Artic Silver from Radio Shack. All the resistors were just fine, so it was a very easy fix, and only took about 3 hours. But I took my time with it and it works like brand new! Thank you again, Guys! You all rock!

Larry Dillon
not to be a party popper but

not to be a party popper but from e-bay for that price I would bet that they are not original ic's!!
yes they work for now but give them a month or so and you will most likely be in the same boat!!
Larry

DOGD
Nside said: After much

Nside said: After much digging, I finally found the service manual. It's here. Mediafire download, about 10mb ... over 1800 pages... the Parts list for 51mp392h starts around page 490 The Part numbers on the schematic are 7044 and 7045 on the SSM Panel SBA top view drawing... the actual IC you want to buy is the STK392-120 The Service Manual is still worth the download, it tells you the best way to access the boards... this repair seems like it's possible without disconnecting any wire connections on my TV... I just had to unscrew the board frame and undo a few wire ties..

tv working fine   look s,good color  no 3d CoolWink!i have a magnavox model 51mp392h/17 and thanks to all, we fixed  it Cool,installed the stk302-120  &2#resistors  1 w 6.8 onm 5%  thanks for all the help, couldn"t have done it aloneTongue outCoolMoney mouthWinkLaughing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Larry Dillon
your very welcome!!!!!!!!:;>)

your very welcome!!!!!!!!:;>):>) lmaorotf Y_W YW

slr_65
Snake Eyes said: hey larry ,

Snake Eyes said: hey larry , can u give me some pointers on replacing my crt fluid? now that the convergence is fixed id like to try and get my picture as new as possible. or maybe a link to direction on how to do it before i order the parts not sure if i want to get into that or not.

Hi Snake Eyes,

My son and I are working on one of these right now, it's a convergence issue so hopefully an stk replacement will fix it.

I read where these units seem to have some crt fluid issues so I was also wondering if we shouldn't replace it if we get the thing up and running.  Did you ever replace yours?  If so, how bad of a job was it?  I'm with you, I'd like to see an article with pictures and arrows BEFORE I start just to make sure it's something I want to tackle before I plunk my money down.

I've seen where some recommend completely disassembling the lens assembly, cleaning, resealing, and then replacing the fluid.  They claim if you don't do that, if you just replace the fluid, then the problem will soon return.  I would like a compromise - maybe remove the fluid, leave it sealed up, flush it with some sort of sterilizing agent, then maybe flush it with coolant, then fill it up with clean coolant?

Anyone who's done this care to share any thoughts?

Thanks!

Steve

Alnp
Fix the convergence first.

Fix the convergence first.

It seems to be a toss-up between removing the crt's, or doing them in place, both methods will work. In place you run a risk of coolant spills, pulling them out you risk more realignment work.

The flush might work, people have used denatured alcohol or rubbing alcohol or white vinegar or bleach solutions.

I did my blue and green, one at a time, disassembled and used rubbing alcohol then liquid detergent then water rinse. I also mixed 1 teaspoon bleach in each tube to try to keep the new coolant clean.

K1SFD
At some point or another,

At some point or another, while reading this thread, I remember that someone had asked what it meant when the LED on the front flashed a certain number of times. The number of flashes equals the error code that can be found in the Service Manual. I believe the Gentleman was asking about either a 6 or 9, so here are the error codes:
0 = No Error,
1 = FBX 3V3 protection,
2 = No Horizontal Flyback protection (GDE reported critical error),
3 = GDE critical error – Vertical
Output Failure,
4 = +5V protection active (detected via MSP34xx & tuner),
5 = HOP POR not successful (GDE reported critical error – HOP Initialization Failure),
6 = General I2C error main I2C bus,
7 = GDE critical error – DAC Initialization failure,
8 = 3D Comb filter I2C communication error,
9 = Bocma IC TDA888xx 8V failure (SUP bit) (GDE did not communicate with Initialization),
10 = NVM IC STM24xxx I2C,
11 = New NVM IC error (NVM_IDENTIFICATION_ERROR),
12 = Main uP (Painter) Internal RAM test failure,
13 = Main tuner I2C failure UV13xx,
14 = Sound IC MSP34xx I2C failure,
15 = SRAM IC uPD431000A-B test failure,
16 = PIP/DW Tuner (ETA50) I2C failure,
17 = PIP IC M65669SP I2C failure or Double window IC SAB9081 I2C failure,
18 = I/O expander IC M62320P I2C failure (DW & PIP),
19 = Guide+ I2C failure,
20 = V-chip for PIP, IC ZILOG 86130 I2C failure (TBC),
21 = NV clock IC MK41T56 I2C failure,
22 = Flash protection (detected via Bocma),
23 = Bocma IC TDA888xx (on DW panel)I2C communication,
27 = Virtual Dolby error, 30 = HIP l/O-video processing error,
31 = Picnic,
32 = HOP video control/geometry,
33 = 8v6,
34 = Hikup protection,
35 = HD interface I/O expander M62320 I2C failure

If you are in need of the manual, you will find it much easier by searching for the DPTV302 Service Manual (http://www.eserviceinfo.com/download.php?fileid=31483) Download these 5 files (0,1,2,3,4) Download and install Winrar (or another RAR program - Like Zip but different ;-) ), highlight all 5 files, and select 'extract here' (Whereever you saved them to). This will reassemble the 1900 page manual for you. As you can tell, this manual is for quite a few of Magnavoxs' Projection HDTVs. Be VERY CAREFUL when looking as some of the Schematics say NOT FOR 51MP392H/17, and others might say ONLY FOR 51MP392H/17. Otherwise they have it listed as 'All Models'. At the begining of the manual is all of the codes to get the TV entered into the different Service Modes where you can look up these codes on the screen instead of reading a flashing LED ;-)

I hope this helps without it being too long winded for anyone (too late right!?!?!).

K1SFD

weaponepsilon
Hi I just replaced the ICs

Hi I just replaced the ICs and the 3159, 3160 resistors on my 51 in projection screen. I check all the other resistors in the area to make sure they were good. I tested the tv and the colors seem off, but mainly because the screen looks bowed down from the top and up from the bottom? Suggestions?

Project Success
Check out this step by step

Check out this step by step TV repair DIY website I used to fix the same problem you guys are having..It was gibberish to me at first but as I began to follow direction it became easier to understand and I fixed my old TV.....Experimental project DIY

http://www.tvrepairkits.com/xcart/home.php?cat=3539

slr_65
Hi Weaponepsilon,

Hi Weaponepsilon,

Are you still getting the 3d effect? i.e have you tried to converge the unit? We had to do the convergence after we fixed my son's set. There's even an advanced convergence in the service menu.

Also, where did you buy your chips from? It's important to use chips from a quality provider who does their best to avoid the knock offs.

Also, I tend to just replace all the resistors. To check them properly you have to unsolder one leg and lift it up and if I'm going to half remove the thing I'll just fully remove it and replace it with a new one.

/Steve

Pages

Connect With Techlore