Magnavox 51MP392H/17 51" TV has double vision

252 posts / 0 new
Last post
Maytag
Magnavox 51MP392H/17 51" TV has double vision

Good evening folks,

I have a Magnavox 51" TV, model 51MP392H/17.  I have had it three years and it has been excellent until I went away for a week.  We had a house sitter whose grandson hooked up his PS2 to the TV and played games for a bit.  Then the TV got double vision.  On the top and bottom of the screen, there is warpage.  The bottom left of screen has some green areas, as does thw top on both left and right.  The picture looks viewable, but the problem is most noticable with text which appears like double vision in red and green.  When I put on CNN and watch the crawl, its real noticable as the picture shows below:

http://maytag87.dyndns.org:8081/rob/magHD51.JPG 

That pic shows some funny colors on the top too...  I am an IT guy, never fixed a TV though.  Is thing something I can fix?  Replace a board?  Voltage risks?  Parts availability?  Just buy a new TV?  All suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance!
Maytag

Larry Dillon
Well to answer your question

Well to answer your question about repairing the set first.  There is alot of High voltage inside these sets.  You are also going to need a service manual. Then you will have to look up the part numbers for the two convergence IC's.  They will need to be unsoldered and removed. Then new heat sink compound will need to be installed on the backs of the new IC's and reinstalled into the set, resoldered, then you will need to go into the service mode and realighn the main convergence of the set, as the customer convergence adjustments just won't do the alighnment.  If you have the soldering skills and can read a schematic and follow directions, you should be able to do this and save a bunch of cash in the meantime.  If you do not have the soldering skills, or ability to replace these parts,  please seek out a pro to assist you in this repair.  Oh by the way the little tyke who was playing video games on the set, had nothing to do, what so ever to cause this problem.  It happens to almost every, if not every, tube type projection set ever manufactured.  Good luck, and let us know how you made out with this repair.

Maytag
Thanks Larry for the

Thanks Larry for the recommendation.  I will see if the manufacturer can provide a service manual - if Magnavox provided an online one, boy would that be nice.

I am handy with a soldering iron, sounds like the convergence parts are just two chips soldered on a board.   Too bad they could not have designed these commonly failing parts as convergence board or boards, that just plugged into a slot.  Guess the few extra nickels in parts costs across millions of sets would have broken the bank.

Thanks!

Maytag

Larry Dillon
The service manual is HERE as

The service manual is HERE as a PDF but a bit pricey Just enter the number without the slash

Maytag
Thanks for the link Larry!  I

Thanks for the link Larry!  I called Magnavox, confirmed they did not sell the service manual or the parts.  I also left a message for a local TV repair shop to get an idea of the cost of the convergence IC replacement. 

If I can get the parts, I would think I should be capable of handling the repair.  Avoid touching capacitors!  When I was 7, my Dad (EE) had me following schematics, counting picofarreds, and installing diodes, resistors and wiring boards with a wire pen tool.  We built a computer in the mid 70s that, using a keypad, and utilizing the marvelous features of an 8080 processor, we could program rows of LEDs to light up in a pattern of your chosing.  I wrote a "roller coaster" program in assembly and keyed it in the non-volatile memory...  Our favorite hangout was in the electronics stores where they had boxes of keypads, rows of chips, blank boards, and all the fixins.  Things are easier today...

Thanks!

Maytag

Larry Dillon
I remember those days very

I remember those days very well my friend.  I to remember building the computer from the electronics illistrated magazine.  Then my first investment in a computer was the commadore, then the Texas insterment, then the Apple AE2, then the IBM clone that used the 8088 and the 8077 microprocessors.  They had 20 meg hard drives!  51/4 inch floppy disc. and ran at 4 megs of speed!  Fast for those days.

KASR
Maytag: did you have any luck

Maytag: did you have any luck finding where you can get the parts needed to switch the chips out? Looks like I've having the same problems.  

HOTRODD
my tv is doing the same thing

my tv is doing the same thing for the same reason (told the kids not to use the video games on it) haven't checked on a schematic yet but have in the past prchased parts from MCM electronics . One of the many jobs I had when I was younger was a service tech.

Guest (not verified)
Could you please give the

Could you please give the part number for the convergence ICs?  Without the manual, I can't search MCM electronics for the part.

I paid $750 dollars for this tv almost 3 years ago.  I can get a better, new tv today for the same price.  But the repairman wants 350 bucks to replace the ICs.  He said he would have to touch up the solder points too.  BFD.  I'm sure that sounds scarey to most people, but not to me.  How can the ICs be worth half the cost of the tv when it was new, and why the heck would I pay that much to fix a 3-year-old tv?

He could sell me the ICs at a profit, but he won't do it.   He wants to charge me $100/hour to solder something.  He can forget it.

Larry Dillon
Joe-H, what is the model

Joe-H, what is the model number of the set?

vibe
ok, I have the same 51MP392H

ok, I have the same 51MP392H as Mr Maytag.. just yesterday my TV started with the same thing his is doing. Seems like only the red cannon is out of alignment. It curves on the top and bottom of the screen. I pulled the back off the set (knowing full well the voltage dangers) and blocked the red canon. The picture was perfectly focused and 'converged', though without red,  I guess this correction is not simply tweaking that canon.  Could you explain to me how the IC circuit board works and what it controls? Also, visually what should I be looking for (i.e. printed ckt board, metal casing, etc...)?

Maytag
Good luck Vibe, I never got

Good luck Vibe, I never got the part numbers for the ICs for those who asked.  I made some effort to locate that info, but was not successful.  I called a few repair shops and told them the problem as Larry most excellently diagnosed it.   Nobody would touch it once I told them the problem.  Price was never discussed.  My impression is that once I told them what the problem was, I removed their ability to diagnose, and subsequently charge whatever they wanted for the repair.  Better to service a customer who didn't have much of a clue of the scope of work that was needed to perform the repair, I guess. 

At any rate, I am still watching the TV and the screen is mostly good.  Going to the cable program guide is lousy due to the misalignment, and it sucks when you are watching a movie or cool program and the top left of the screen is showing the image in double, with colors not synched.  But right now, I dont feel like spending $$$$ on a replacement TV.  So I guess I will live it for now and maybe in a couple of years, when the 100 inch screens are what everyone wants, and the 50-60 inch screens are entry level and inexpensive, I'll get another 51" or so HD widescreen TV.  In the mean time, NO more video games!!  ;)

Maytag

lsound
Good Day to all

Good Day to all

My set has developed the same convergence problem I have ordered the chip off line from bluestar int. for around 9.00$ us the part # is stk392-120 I hope this helps you all.

If someone has a copy of the print for this set and is willing to share it , or is willing to help with a couple resistor values please let me know

thanks Lsound

Sonic7173
Okay, I have the same problem

Okay, I have the same problem.  Is this part number for the red?  And does anyone have the schematic?  Thanks so much for all of the help

Larry Dillon
Isound, let us know how you

Isound, let us know how you made out with the repair of this TV set.  Are the IC's you got the original Sanyo type IC's?  You can tell if they are not because Sanyo will not be written on them.  The IC's you got are most likely the aftermarket IC's and are not the same chips.  Go HERE to see what the original Sanyo IC's cost and the reason you should use the proper IC's is that the aftermarket IC's do not have the same specs that the original IC's do. Sure they will work, but they will not hold up and you may need to do a lot of alignment after you replace them. Let us know how you make out with this repair.  Sonic, no I do not have this service manual. 

dbirddog
Is it possible to replace the

Is it possible to replace the entire convergence card?  I have seen some thoughts on this.  It sounds like on a bunch of different threads that this is normal for this tv.  I am sick that my 3 year old tv has to be replaced.  The only difference with my tv is that after it warms up, the picture comes clear.  I am sure this will not last for long.

zapdbf
Philips never suppored board

Philips never suppored board replacement very well, but you might beable to find it from a company called PTS

Nside
After much digging, I finally

After much digging, I finally found the service manual.

It's here.

Mediafire download, about 10mb ... over 1800 pages... the Parts list for 51mp392h starts around page 490

The Part numbers on the schematic are 7044 and 7045 on the SSM Panel SBA top view drawing...

the actual IC you want to buy is the STK392-120

The Service Manual is still worth the download, it tells you the best way to access the boards... this repair seems like it's possible without disconnecting any wire connections on my TV... I just had to unscrew the board frame and undo a few wire ties...

Maytag
Wow very cool!  I downloaded

Wow very cool!  I downloaded the manual.  So only one convergence IC is needed in this set?  Facinating!  I thougth it may require two for some reason...  It sounds like you actually performed the repair.  Did it resolve your problem?

Thanks!
Maytag

Nside
I haven't fixed it yet, I

I haven't fixed it yet, I ordered the IC(s) (PLURAL) and I'm going to test the Resistors tomorrow after I find my multimeter...

I spent my day off today digging up article after article about this problem, and it seems pretty common with this TV, and many other CRT Rear Projectors... After I hooked up my NEW TV (bought another TV before I started the repair on this one, just incase i couldn't fix it) I went on a hunt to figure out what the problem was... In most of the articles i found, either the ICs went bad, or some of the resistors around the ICs went bad...

I Jumped the gun a little bit by ordering the parts before testing the resistors, but i figure I'll have the parts even if it's a resistor that's bad, the TV is 3 years old, so they might go out any day...

One thing that i found interesting, It seemed to me that the people who could not move their multipoint convergence (but they could before their TV got all messed up) had blown resistors, people who could still move the points (but not enough to get them lined up) had bad ICs... I don't know that there's any truth to my observation, but we shall see... I can still move my points, so with my theory, my ICs should be bad... I'll let you know...

don't go ANYWHERE near the Capacitors on that board. Those things can easily kill a man, or at least knock him across the room 

stone0420
i have the same problem and i

i have the same problem and i just replaced both ic's and the problem didn't get any better it just changed the location of the problem on the screen. instead of the colors being more seperated on the left side of the screen now it is right in the middle of the screen. and for some reason i cant figure out how to make manual convergence in service mode. i have the downloaded manual and it says to enter that mode to press 0-6-2-5-9-6-index on the remote but my remote does not have an index button.  please help.

zapdbf
press index or the status

press index or the status/exit key it is the same.

stone0420
thanks a bunch that totally

thanks a bunch that totally worked now i have a perfet picture.

johntpt25
I have some similar woes..

I have some similar woes...marnavox 51MP392H/17 looks normal in the middle of the screen, then left side has yellow halo and right side has a blue halo. happening suddenly, not over time.
So, I'm assuming convergence prob - tried manual convergance fix but to no avail.
So, I want to try to see the error codes if any - and I can't enter service mode.

I tried the 062596 combo, but changes channels after I enter the first 2 digits...

any suggestions?

I hate to write this thing off yet.

Thanks,
John

SICKSTICKER
I have replaced the ic`s in

I have replaced the ic`s in my set by reading this thread, thanks for all your comments and suggestions......unfortunatly i am still having a problem getting the red to line up.I have remote and the manual,I also am able to get into sam mode with no problem but what to do from there? Am i doing something wrong or does anyone know if i still have a problem...... my red will only move up and down ,will not move left to right...please help

SICKSTICKER
SORRY if i offended anyone by

SORRY if i offended anyone by my caps being on.

If i knew what to look for i would have fixed this silly simple repair but is this not how people learn, by asking for help? Im a metal fabricator and a graphic designer  not a tv expert.

I have a manual and i will look for the cp`s or fuses and hopefully fix this stupid thing.If not to the trash it goes,besides its not mine ,im just trying to help an older lady whom is disabled and cant afford to buy a new set. So THANKS for your help...................................................

keiphur
check 3153 and 3154 resistors

check 3153 and 3154 resistors. I am having a RED converge issue and both of those are blown. I am also going to replace the convergance chips once the parts come in. I'll update on how it goes. FYI the 3153 & 3154 resistors are right beside the red output connector and they are 6.8ohm 1w 5% resistors. The labels on both burnt off when they blew. It also seemed to turn them white with grey centers where the good resistors are blue tinted. Strange and irritating. It made them hard to spot visually as faulty.

Dwray
The Magnavox part # is

The Magnavox part # is 932212344682 and are STK392-120 Philips/Magnavox big Screen TV Use STK392-110 or Stk392-120 If you set has the STK392-110 Upgrade them with the STK392-120

SICKSTICKER
I replace the ic`s and

I replace the ic`s and resistors and it made it worse. Now it wont turn on half the time and makes a whistleing noise. So i guess im going to give up ..

Larry Dillon
Check for shorts across the

Check for shorts across the pins of the IC. make sure no solder slashed on any other part of the board.

Larry Dillon
Where did you get the IC's

Where did you get the IC's from? Are there any burnt resistors around the IC's? Is there plus and minus power supply voltage going to the IC's?

Pages

Connect With Techlore