Magnavox 51MP392H/17 51" TV has double vision

252 posts / 0 new
Last post
dthompson
Doin12volt said:

Doin12volt said:
Triple reply guys- read below -
DSM23 -the main thing to stay away from in there is the Flyback transformer - It looks sort of like a cars distributor with small red wires that look like "spark plug" wires on a car.That transformer can stay charged by static electricity in the air, and can harbor enough voltage to injure or kill you - treat it with RESPECT!
Rob - "Marriage Committe" Thats funny as hell man- I have never heard it put that way before. Just remember, Sometimes it is easier to beg forgiveness than it is to ask permission, - Thats what I go by...LOL
Dthompson.. It is a common occurance on this set to have bacteria grow inside the CRT Coolant, making the colors go weird, and making the screen look hazy and foggy. I would not play with the adjustments on the back of the set, they control the voltage each CRT gets, and you can really mess up a tv like this by adjusting the HV without knowledge. Look straight into the crts with the tv on (you shouldnt do this, but i do...lol) Its really bright, youll have to squint, but see if the picture inside the lens is foggy or dis-colored- if it is, you need to service the CRT's ( clean them and change the CRT coolant)

Thanks for the help,I did clean the lenses and mirror and the fluid and lens looked pretty clear to me. I have had this problem with a previous tv and changed the fluid, huge difference. This tv's picture was near perfect before having the convergence problem and it is pretty good now just seems the colors are different than they were before, not hazy or foggy. I would like to recalibrate the colors to what they were before if there is a procedure for this ? If that does not work I will pull it back apart and change the fluid.

Maytag
Hi Doin12volt,

Hi Doin12volt,

The marriage committee approved the purchase of the board, so contact me at my email address - rv at comcast dot net - just replace the "at" with "@" and the dot with "." and I will arrange to make payment to you.

Regarding that flyback transformer, how close is that to the board? How much time do you think it takes to swap out this board for someone good with tools, but with minimal TV experience? I've never even opened up this set, so I will have to check out the book for the procedure. Probably pretty straight forward...

Oh, and by the way, I save the beg for forgiveness method for when I pick up cars without consulting the committee ;)

Thanks!
Rob

Zero-G
D THOMPSON:

D THOMPSON:

I bought an extra TV guts for parts and got an extra remote, its not in the best shape but is 100% fully functional, I use it from the lazy boy one for the chair one for the couch...

I dont really need is and would be willing to part with it for $15.00 +S/H its very light I expect it be max a few dollars depending on where you live.

the previous owner had a rabbit and chewed the tips off 3 buttons which still work fine.

anyway if your interested go to www.CFISTORE.com and send me an email throught my website contact, I've stopped putting my physical email out there due to spam mail bots... I'll send you some pictures so you know where the rabbit nibbled

also if anyone needs any parts I have the entire guts Magnavox 51 MP392H/17

DSM_23
Doin12volt said: well, the

Doin12volt said: well, the blues CAN go bad, But i havent personally ever had trouble with them...the green larger resistors, the fuses, and the IC's on this particular set are what seems to be common- the only other thing I can think of on this set is to recommend cleaning and changing the coolant in the blue crt if yours has a cloudy appearance - it seems blue gets contaminated alot in these Magnavox's

well I got my parts in today, and I noticed the resistors sent are the 12 little blue ones, I got what was told in the repair part list, do you think Im going to need some of the green ones too? Will the green ones appear blown when I check out the board out?

slinteriors
Maytag, There are two STK392

Maytag, There are two STK392-120 convergence ICs that will need to be replaced also check the 12 6.8 ohm 1watt resistors 3149- 3160 board ,ocations as that model will always blow at least two of those resistors often four depending on the severity of the IC failure.

Maytag
Thanks for the tip

Thanks for the tip slinteriors. With the board from Doin12volt, I should be good to go as it has new IC's and resistors. Hey, anything has to be better than what I currently got on my screen, right? I'll just have to greatly respect that flyback transformer - fortunately I will have emergency services onsite and immediately available should I make accidental contact!

Thanks!
Maytag

DSM_23
Here is my board, I noticed

Here is my board, I noticed the 2 resistors on the right that look way different than the others, are these the bad ones?

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e216/DSM_23/DSC02017.jpg

Here is the resistors I bought that appear to be slightly bigger and have and extra line color than the ones on the board upon looking, is this normal?

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e216/DSM_23/DSC02021.jpg 

Closeup of the "bad looking" ones

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e216/DSM_23/DSC02016.jpg

Another shot

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e216/DSM_23/DSC02018.jpg

Left Side

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e216/DSM_23/DSC02019.jpg

Tell me what you think about thos odd colored resistors if you can.

slinteriors
Those resistors are just

Those resistors are just another brand of resistor. From looking at the pictures I recomend replacing the 12 6.8 ohm resistors with the new ones you received unless you have a ohms meter to check the 12 which are on your board, one side has to be lifted from circuit to test. 3149 - 3160 are the 12 6.8 ohms

cajunboy
I changed 2 of the 6.8 ohms

I changed 2 of the 6.8 ohms resistors and they blew again. The numbers were 3159 and 3160 in front of the red. Can anyone tell me what to check to see what is making these 2 resistors blow? I have also replaced the IC'c. Thanks....

slinteriors
Did you get the replacement

Did you get the replacement ICs from a reputable source? As there are many Chineese copies of the STK ICs that are sold that are junk and most wont work for even a minute. Rule of thumb if you paid less than 20.00 for an IC its not a real STK

cajunboy
sure did...only paid 6.99 a

sure did...only paid 6.99 a piece for both. Do you have a website to get the correct ones? Thanks.....

slinteriors
They have the Real Sanyo ICs

They have the Real Sanyo ICs at the following link. Very reliable.
http://www.acme-sales.net/index.shtml

Gina1963
looking for the adapter to

looking for the adapter to 17MD265V tv cord HELP

Maytag
Good morning folks,

Good morning folks,

Big thanks go out to Doin12volt - Got the complete board assembly, took out the screws, and the 17 wiring connections, and did the swap. Powered the TV back up, went into setup and manually did the convergence, and it lined up real nice. The picture is like *brand new* again! CNN with the crawl or the program guide looks excellent, and the HD channels come in great! It's been almost 2 and a half years since the problem happened, and I had forgotten how nice the screen used to look. Guess I can put off that 50" plasma for awhile longer :)

For others considering this swap, just don't touch that flyback transformer on the right side. I was able to stay clear of it & I'd recommend others do the same.

Thanks again for the help!
Maytag

Doin12volt
Good to hear!! Glad I could

Good to hear!! Glad I could help... Glad to hear you didnt need emergency services! LOL

2 1/2 years?!?! WOW you are a patient man... Hopefully the wife loves it as much as you do.

Maytag
Ha! No emergency services

Ha! No emergency services needed :)

Yeah the marriage committee was duly impressed with the screen after the repair. Fair to say I gained some political capital from the successful mission. I will certainly be able to use that political capital when performing future vehicle acquisitions ;)

Thanks!
Maytag

cajunboy
What is the process to do the

What is the process to do the convergence after reconnecting the board back?

Thanks,
Cajunboy

Maytag
You have to use the TV remote

You have to use the TV remote to get into setup. Chose picture and right arrow to manual convergence, or something along those lines. I think there were two multi-convergences to configure and you move around the screen to each point on the grid that is out of adjustment and then adjust each to overlap eachother. Save the convergence when you are done. It's straight forward enough, that a dunce like me was able to figure it out! You should be fine.

Good luck!
Maytag

cajunboy
I had the IC chips and the

I had the IC chips and the red resistors chaged. I've put the board in and now the TV turns off after about 10 seconds. Then the power switch light blinks 9 times and stops for about 3 seconds. It repeat the problem over and over. Does anyone know how to correct this????

Cajunboy

Maytag
Hi Cajunboy,

Hi Cajunboy,

One thing I can suggest: On the main board, there is a daughter board that fits on like a memory dimm. Referring to the below picture:

The board I am talking about is appears as the lowest horizontal board and it has the aluminum shielding around it. This daughter board also has the narrow paper cable that slides into the mainboard socket. I would suggest reseating this board. If its not in properly, there will be video problems when you power it up. This daughter board goes into place on an angle and then you tilt the card upright to snap into the retainers, just like a PC memory dimm. Make sure the cable is slid into the main board socket as well.

Another question: There are some green resistors, my understanding is the big green ones are the main ones to worry about. Also there are 2 black circles near the green resistors that are the fuses that you need to check. Do you know if the green resistors were replaced, or the fuses were checked?

Good luck!
Maytag

cajunboy
Maytag,

Maytag,
You are exactly right about the issue " aluminum shielding"...Thanks...I reconnected the cord and adjusted the red on green...wow... now i have an awesome picture. Thank you all for the help......

Cajunboy...

Maytag
Nice work Cajunboy, glad I

Nice work Cajunboy, glad I could help out!

Maytag

drake666
hi guys im about to buy one

hi guys im about to buy one of these tvs reall cheap i was wondering if you could let me know if it does 720p and if my ps3 will burn the images or warp them ?? thanks

Maytag
Hi drake666,

Hi drake666,

Check out the user manual at:
http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/5/51mp392h_17b/51mp392h_17b_pss_aen.pdf

I don't think this TV can do 720p. AV4 can do 1080i:
Resolution Refresh rate
Video formats
1080i 60Hz
480p 60Hz
480i 60Hz

Searching the manual for "720" came up with no results.

Good luck!
Maytag

greenskycity
Hey All,

Hey All,
My Girlfriend has this same tv and same Issue. I'd just like to give a big thanks to everyone here for the knowledge to fix the problem. I ordered the two stk-120's and a bunch of resistors and got everything apart and put back together and it works like a champ! I only did the stks at first and when I put it back together it was the same as it was before, so I took it apart again and found that the resistors 3153 and 3154 were my problematic resistors. I replaced those and everything worked like a champ. I didn't need to do a convergence or anything. Heres what I used:
30 watt soldering iron
60/40 rosin core solder
T10 Torx bit
1/4

greenskycity
Hey All,

Hey All,
My Girlfriend has this same tv and same Issue. I'd just like to give a big thanks to everyone here for the knowledge to fix the problem. I ordered the two stk-120's and a bunch of resistors and got everything apart and put back together and it works like a champ! I only did the stks at first and when I put it back together it was the same as it was before, so I took it apart again and found that the resistors 3153 and 3154 were my problematic resistors. I replaced those and everything worked like a champ. I didn't need to do a convergence or anything. Heres what I used:
30 watt soldering iron
60/40 rosin core solder
T10 Torx bit
1/4" socket
Arctic Silver 5
Sanyo STK392-120 IC's(2)
1 watt resistors 6.8 ohms.
solder braid to help remove the IC's
Once again, I thank you! 400 dollars to repair this issue is nuts, I'd never pay that. BTW my services to fix your tv are available........lets say, 400 dollars.

Rain99
I have the same problem. The

I have the same problem. The bottom curves upward when cold. So far it fixes itself when it warms up and I turn on and off a few times. Is there any way i may have a loose connection since it does fix itself when warm or am I being overly optimistic? Thanks.

cjc
I just purchased one of these

I just purchased one of these units, I was wondering if any body could tell me the original retail price.

As for the picture it is fine. there is a little curve in the upper and lower left corners.

I had to do the manual converge on the AV4 channel, all other channels were fine.

Thank you for all your help

Rain99
From 800 to 1000. I bought

From 800 to 1000. I bought mine 4 yrs ago for 799 on sale. Its now been replaced by a 65" hd. I may try to fix it as described on this site when I have time. Repairmen around here est about 400 to fix it. That"s not going to happen.

cjc
Does any one know where I can

Does any one know where I can get a new speaker grill or just the cloth for it?

Pages

Connect With Techlore