Magnavox 51MP392H/17 51" TV has double vision

252 posts / 0 new
Last post
Larry Dillon
thje clothe should be

thje clothe should be available at radio shack or mcm electronics, to repair the convergence and to make it an easy faith, go to tvrepairkits.com and get a convergence kit, it will include everything you need and all in one shot including thermal paste, resistors, pico fuses, and original replacement IC's Makes the repair easy to do!!!
Larry

Larry Dillon
the speaker cloth can be

the speaker cloth can be acquired from Radio Shack or MCM electronics, the convergence issue can be taken care of by going to tvrepairkits.com and getting a complete convergence kit in one shot It includes everything you need for this repair.

kv1979
I had the same problem but I

I had the same problem but I made bad! I started moving the tube controls in the back and now it will not come on I put new IC"S in it and agin nothing but the power light will flash for awhile. On the back oc the board beside the ic"s on of the very tiny things has burnt but the mna at the tv repair store said it did not matter ,,I NEED HELP MY KIDS ARE GOING NUTS WITH OUT SPOONGE BOB!!

Larry Dillon
you mean square pants sponge

you mean square pants sponge bob?start over and please explain what the problem is now with the set, and what it was before you touched it, what you did?

kv1979
Ok ,

Ok ,

The set started acting just like the pic on the first page of this thread at the bottom it was blury and wavey color was off as well. But before using my brain and come out here to my pc and find this site I took the back cover of and started turning the tube controls turned the blue to high 3 times and finlly it stoped coming back on , Now I replaced the IC"S and it now powers up
but the tubes do not come on and then it turns off and the power button flashs.
But on the board in between the heat sink and ic on the back of the board thier is little resistors one of them is burnt.

kv1979
The light flashs 9 times if

The light flashs 9 times if the means anything

Maytag
Hi kv1979,

Hi kv1979,

One thing I can suggest: On the main board, there is a daughter board that fits on like a memory dimm. Please refer to the picture I posted earlier in this thread a couple of months ago.

The daughter board I am talking about in the picture appears as the lowest horizontal board and it has the aluminum shielding around it. This daughter board also has the narrow paper cable that slides into the mainboard socket. I would suggest re-seating this board. If its not in properly, there will be video problems when you power it up and the power light will blink. This daughter board goes into place on an angle and then you tilt the card upright to snap into the retainers, just like a PC memory dimm. Make sure this board is properly in place and the cable is slid into the main board socket as well.

Good luck!
Maytag

Maytag
Too bad... I had very

Too bad... I had very similar symptoms when my daughter board needed a reseat - no video, and the power switch light blinks - I did not count the blinks. Could it be that some other item is not seated or connected properly?

Good luck!
Maytag

Larry Dillon
never heard of this board on

never heard of this board on this model of set to cause this problem. the only thing I know that causes double vision is the convergence drive issue??
Larry

Maytag
True. My speculation is that

True. My speculation is that if the power light just blinks with no video, something is not installed properly. Does the 9 blinks show anything in the service manual?

Good luck!
Maytag

Larry Dillon
no it does not MAYTAG! it is

no it does not MAYTAG! it is an indication the set shut down before the complete power supply and the sweep supply which means most likely a short

Maytag
A short between those

A short between those components does not sound like something that could normally have happened during a typical convergence IC swap, does it? That main board is on the left, and the power supply stuff is on the right, or so I though... What about the two little round fuses on that left main board? hmmm

Good luck!
Maytag

kv1979
yea I checked them and they

yea I checked them and they are ok but no one has anserwed me about the liitle chip looking deals on the back of he board under the ic"s and heatsink??

Larry Dillon
What chip looking deals under

What chip looking deals under the IC's and the heat sink???? A LITTLE BETTER DESCRIPTION OR EVEN A PIC> WOULDS HELP> MAYBE AN e-mail address in my PM

randy w/pos tv
i have a magnavox tv that

i have a magnavox tv that everyone is having problems with. i replaced the ic's as described along with the other 6 pieces as instructed to change. now my tv is showing blue red and green along the outside of the picture and the picture is no longer centered in the tv. im about to smash the tv. i lined the manual converg. plus signs up and the center of the screens colors are fine, just having a problem with everything else. please help.

randy w/pos tv
ok i got the colors to where

ok i got the colors to where they look good in the very center of the screen but everything around it has double to triple vision also the picture looks bowed/pulled in towards the center. im pretty sure i hooked all the wires up correctly. im afraid i might have bought cheap ic's. i bought two of the
stk392-150's from suburban electric. are the ic's what is causing my problem and does suburban sell the cheap ones and where is a good place to buy the good ones? thanks.

Maytag
As far as where to get the

As far as where to get the parts, Larry, who is the expert, says to go to tvrepairkits.com and get a convergence kit, which includes everything you need and all in one shot. It includes thermal paste, resistors, pico fuses, and original replacement IC's. If I did not find the ready to install board I got in the above posts, that's where I would go!

Good luck!
Maytag

randy w/pos tv
will i have any burn marks on

will i have any burn marks on the mother board if i have any blown resistors? if so, i dont have any marks at all and all of them look really good (i replaced them anyway) where do i get the big green resistors (would like to replace those while im in there)? i have everything else i need other than the good ic's anyone have a place to buy them other than in a kit? and thanks for the responce maytag.

randy w/pos tv
ok.... i bought and installed

ok.... i bought and installed the new ic's..... the picture is better but not what it should be. the colors look fine but has double vision, it has like a yellow hase around everything on the tv, seems kind of blurry. i just looked at the blue multi point and the blue is really hazey, you can hardly see the plus sign to line the points up. screen looks like it is still bowed in. i dont know what else to do.... im getting frustrated, someone please help.

jf829
This is slightly off topic

This is slightly off topic but... my problem is no picture, I have sound but no light at any of the guns. Powers on with both remote and set front button, I do heaer a high pitched chip at approximately 1 second intervals coming from the right hand side board?? looks like the power supply board to me. I checked the two obvious fuses (the normal shaped bullet type fuses) both are good. Any suggestions? thanks

Larry Dillon
shorted convergence IC's it

shorted convergence IC's it sounds like, take them out just to make sure and turn on the set.

Alnp
randy w/pos tv said:

randy w/pos tv said:
ok.... i bought and installed the new ic's..... the picture is better but not what it should be. the colors look fine but has double vision, it has like a yellow hase around everything on the tv, seems kind of blurry. i just looked at the blue multi point and the blue is really hazey, you can hardly see the plus sign to line the points up. screen looks like it is still bowed in. i dont know what else to do.... im getting frustrated, someone please help.

randy w/pos tv said:

If the red or blue multipoints won't adjust, go back in and recheck their resistors. If resistors were burned, check for lifted or burned wiring traces by checking continuity from the resistors to the stk's and to the crt board connectors. After you adjust the multipoints, save the adjustments before exiting.

Pull the upper rear cover or the front screen. Clean the lens tops.  With a flashlight look down into the crt's for coolant contamination. You should be able to see straight thru the coolant to the crt screen texture. Compare Blue and Green to the Red tube, which dosen't cloud up. 

You possibly bumped the crt purity tabs, you will hqve to read the manual.

Alnp
kv1979 said:

kv1979 said:
Ok ,
The set started acting just like the pic on the first page of this thread at the bottom it was blury and wavey color was off as well. But before using my brain and come out here to my pc and find this site I took the back cover of and started turning the tube controls turned the blue to high 3 times and finlly it stoped coming back on , Now I replaced the IC"S and it now powers up
but the tubes do not come on and then it turns off and the power button flashs.
But on the board in between the heat sink and ic on the back of the board thier is little resistors one of them is burnt.

If you messed with the blue screen voltage knob only, turn it all the way down, counterclockwise. Try powering  up,  if the other tubes now light, turn up the blue to approximate their brightness level.

Fire up a black and white dvd, freeze frame. Cover  R and B lens, observe G, cover G and B lens, observe R, cover R and G and adjust B screen voltage to look the same.

Larry has a more detailed explanation of the procedure you can find by searching this forum for adjusting gray scale.

Larry Dillon
if you need help adjusting or

if you need help adjusting or repairing the convergence please leave an e-mail address and we will see what we can do for you.
Larry D

Larry Dillon
The cloudiness is a very

The cloudiness is a very common problem with theses sets, as you probably need a fluid kit for your set. Go to tvrepairkits.com for the complete fluid kit for your model. Good Luck
Larry Dillon

kv1979
Ok now that I have left it

Ok now that I have left it alone for weeks I pluged my satlite back in to the set and now it comes on and off butt no sound or picture but I do not know it the channel is right for the satlite as in ch 3 or ch 4 can't tell with no picture! ANYBODY????

Larry Dillon
replace the convergence ic's

replace the convergence ic's to solve your old problem first
Good Luck!!
Larry Dillon

Larry Dillon
Talk to Ed at tvrepairkits

Talk to Ed at tvrepairkits.com and go to the contact us button, he is a magnavox expert i just looked at the picture you posted on the first post and it looks like you need a fluid change kit!!
Larry Dillon

kv1979
The TV is powering on and

The TV is powering on and after about30sec powers off keeps doing this no pic or sound All ready replaced the ic"s what could this be?????

Larry Dillon
did you get the complete kit?

did you get the complete kit? if so then you need to follow all of the installation directions if not you need to replace resistors or pico fuses or perhaps the soldering on the chips is no good and maybe a few or so pins are shorted together .
Larry D

Pages

Connect With Techlore