Mitsubishi WS-55613

896 posts / 0 new
Last post
Bill Swindell
Mitsubishi WS-55613

This TV is a rear projection which is only 2 years 1 month old. When I went to turn on the TV the green power light just started to blink and the TV never turned on. There was no sound heard. I tried unpluging for a few hours but nothing changed. The repair shop came our and took the tv. They called back and said it would be about $1100 parts and labor to repair. They were pretty sure it was circuit board but could not be more specific unless they started to work on it in depth. They thought it was not worth the money to fix but as stated before it is fairly new. I have no extended warranty but doing some investigation I see that I am not the only one with this problem. Will Mitsubishi do anything to back up their products? Is it worth fixing?

Larry Dillon
Wow thats an expensive repair

Wow thats an expensive repair!

1. CHECK FOR 12 VOLTS DC (AC-OFF DETECT) AT PIN 3 OF PC9A21 IF MISSING REPLACE PC9A21 PART # 268P058020 ON THE POWER PCB. 2. SHORT DETECT SHUTDOWN (PIN 13 OF IC700) CHECK FOR OPEN L902 PART # 351P155010 OFF Q904 C (15 V SUPPLY) ON THE MAIN PCB. 
  2. SHORT DETECT SHUTDOWN (PIN 13 OF IC700) CHECK FOR SHORTED D913 PART # 264P722010 AND OPEN Z901 PART # 283P039020 (Z905 AND Z900 M.
  3. CHECK FOR BAD CAPACITORS IN DM MODULE.
  4. CHECK FOR 10 VDC AT PIN 5 OF IC502 OF LOW, CHECK IC503 PART # 270P704010 ON THE MAIN PCB.
  5. SUSPECT SHORTED WINDINGS OF T5A31 PART # 349P216010 ON THE MAIN PCB. 
  6. SHUTDOWN AT POWER WITH SELF DIAGNOSIS ERROR 2 2. CHECK FOR LEAKY C9A60 470 PF 1000 V PART # 154P400030, PARALLEL TO D9A57 ON THE POWER PCB 2. SHUTDOWN AT POWER WITH SELF DIAGNOSIS ERROR 2 2. CHECK FOR OPEN FUSES F9A04 AND F9A05 ON THE +24 AND -24 VOLT LINES. IF THE FUSES ARE OPEN THE CONVERGENCE OUTPUT CIRCUIT WOULD BE SUSPECT.
  7. SHORTED HORIZONTAL OUTPUT TRANSISTOR.
  8. COOLENT HAS LEAKED ON THE MAIN BOARD FROM THE CRT'S AND HAS DAMAGED THE MAIN BOARD BEHOUND REPAIR.
These are a few of my notes on this Set from me and a few of my buds in the buisness. Good Luck and let us know how you made out with this set.
chuckleberry
I have the same problem with

I have the same problem with my Mits ws-55613, did you ever get it fixed?  What was the problem? The green light on my set is just blinking non-stop. I have left it unplugged now for 12 hrs, now I have it plugged in and I have tried another outlet, hit the reset button numerous times etc. No Luck. Please advise on any repairs that I may do before going to a tech. I am checking to see if we have the warranty but I am doubtful. Help Please!!!

Larry Dillon
Look and see if any coolent

Look and see if any coolent is on any of the board inside the TV set.  If there is, you must have this board cleaned before it eats up and corrodes the board. The coolent comes from the picture tubes.  If this is the case, you will need to find out what piture tube leaked and have it repaired unless you want to try yourself.  If there is no liquid on any of the boards that lay down flat, look at the above answer to this thread and check out some of those parts if your able.  If in any doubt, please stay safe and call in a pro to assist you in this repair.  Good Luck and let us know how you made out with this repair. 

chuckleberry
Thanks so much for the quick

Thanks so much for the quick reply. I 'm on it and i will keep you posted.

Larry Dillon
No problem at all.  Read this

No problem at all.  Read this and see if it helps.

chuckleberry
Larry, I troubleshot this as

Larry, I troubleshot this as much as I could. I didn't find any leakage and my knowledge of the other items is limited at best. I called out a repair guy and within 5 minutes he told me that the problem was the DM Board, I guess that stands for Digital Modulator. He said that Mitsubishi doesn't make those anymore or that they have to be sent in to rebuild?? The cost for a new board according to him is $950 + repair. Total cost is about $1200. WOW. i bought the TV brand new for $2400. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, i can pull out the chassis and possibly change the DM myself but it seemed to easy of a fix?? Thanks for any advice in advance.

Larry Dillon
Was your set shutting down

Was your set shutting down once in a while out of the blue?  If so, Yes it could be the DM module.  if not it is iffy.  It is really hard to say without really replaceing the module as there are no real test to see if this module is bad. Good possibility he may have guessed this problem as Mitsubishi diea have an issue with the DNM board, but that is for intermittant shutdowns of the set.  I will ask around and get back to you on this matter.

chuckleberry
Hey Guys, I found this string

Hey Guys, I found this string on HDTVVoice.com and started researching this Dm Module thing. There were quite a few people that had this same problem, one guys even said it was the "blinking green light of death". Anyhow, I read all about this issue and one of the people said that you could fix it. The common problem between all of them was intermittent shutdown or complete shutdown with a steady blinking light. This is what they said to do... if you pulled the DM out and then took the board out of it you will find that 4-1000ui 16 v capacitors are puffed at the top suggesting that there has been too much heat, I took the Dm out and did as they said and WOW..sure enough the 4 caps were puffed and bad, I went to Radio Shack and bought 4 new 1000ui 35 v caps, I desoldered the puffed ones and re-installed the new caps. Then I put the DM back onto the board, I didn't want to completely put the chassis back in case it didn't work, but I fired it up and IT WORKS. Those guys who were brave enough to try it actually saved me the cost of a new Tv or the $1000+ it was supposed to have cost to repair. I am in the process of contacting Mitsubishi to make them aware of this and to see if they can possibly get a recall on this. According to the guys who came out and looked at my set, the DM modules are on permanent backorder, so it must be a wide spread problem. Hope this helps a lot of people.

Larry Dillon
VERY GOOD, chuckleberry.  If

VERY GOOD, chuckleberry.  If I am not mistaking, I thought I also suggested checking for this problem in my reply to you.  Thanks for getting back to us with this matter.

chuckleberry
Indeed you did, but I am a

Indeed you did, but I am a rookie when it comes to all this stuff, so I had to do more research to familiaize myself with how to do this. I knew what the DM Module was because the repairman pointed to it, other than that I had no idea how to pull it out and get it apart to fix. But after all of the research and help from Pro's like yourself and some DIY's I was able to fix it. I finally got to bed at 2 a.m on Sunday.

Thanks again.

Larry Dillon
Good for you! Another success

Good for you! Another success story here at techlore.com!

NexusX
Does this repair also apply

Does this repair also apply to the WS-65613? My tv shut down out of the blue several times in the last 6 months. This morning I tried to turn on the set and the green light was blinking. I unplugged it a few times and it still blinks continuously.

Thanks

chuckleberry
From my research on this site

From my research on this site and others like it it seems that this is the most common problem I have found for all mitsubushi TV's like ours. I looked at HDTVvoice and found a DIY who was able to walk me through the removal of the DM Module and the taking out and replacing of the bad capacitors. I called out a repairman to make sure and sure enough it was the DM Module. They call it the blinking green light of death...ha. My bro-in law is having the same problem and I believe that he has the 65" model that is about 2 years old, his set is still covered under an extended warranty(smart guy) but as I find out what was wrong with his set I will share.

NexusX
I have signed up at HDTVvoice

I have signed up at HDTVvoice but can't find the DIY. Would you post the link to the repair info? I am interested in what your brother-inlaw finds out about his Mitsubishi.

Thanks

NexusX
Chucklberry, I just finished

Chucklberry, I just finished the repair and the tv is working great. It is really dusty inside and want to vacuum what I can before I close it up. I am now looking for info to clean the dusty lens. I am not going to mess with the mirror. 

chuckleberry
That is great to hear that it

That is great to hear that it worked for you. I believe that the only thing you should use to clean the lens is a moist cloth, moistened with clean water only and not enough to run or drip. Then make sure you dry it off completely after you are done. Hope that helps.

jmh_62
I have also had the blinking

I have also had the blinking green light issue, for quite a while on my 55613. I believe it started shortly after purchishing this paper weight in '04. Anyway, it finally would not reset, plug in and out, wait a week, etc. I did find a procedure that helped me pull the DM out in one piece: http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:I...

My thanks to auhor that wrote it. Good detail with pictures.

I will buy the Radio Shack 1000uF 35V caps, as recommended by "chuckleberry", for $1.59 each (x 4 = $6.36 + tax).

I will let you know if I am successful.

I'd rather be pulling apart a radar system than working on a TV.

John 

Larry Dillon
Yes please do let us know how

Yes please do let us know how this repair turns out for you.  Good Luck!    Cool

jmh_62
My 55 inch paper weight is a

My 55 inch paper weight is a TV once again!

Following the procedure, mentioned in my previous post, repair was a success. Repaired last night - Wednesday, 3/28.

I would have had it fixed on Tuesday, but my local Radio Shack only had two 1000uF caps in the drawer.

I found another RS yesterday that was stocked and purchased four 1000uF 35V caps. Remeber to look for radial leads, not axial.

The RS caps are a little bigger. They will not fit flush on the circuit card, but that is not critical. No problems when putting the shield back on.

I wish I bought the de-soldering iron. Wicking and a 25W iron did not work well. Used an old trick - drop new solder on the leads, the slowly heat and wiggle the component out. Not the prefered method, but it worked. 

When soldering the new caps, use the thinnest solder you can find. The solder I used was .050 and made for bigger blob. The old saying "the bigger the blob, the better the job" does not work on this circuit board.

I recommend using a low wattage iron, to prevent burning the board.

I did not bother with a fan. 

Hopefully I can get another couple of years out this. 

Have with all the wires and screws!

John 

chuckleberry
Congrats on the fix John.

Congrats on the fix John. Looks like you will indeed get some more mileage out of the old Mits.

Good Job. 

Tokai
jmh_62 said: I have also had

jmh_62 said: I have also had the blinking green light issue, for quite a while on my 55613. I believe it started shortly after purchishing this paper weight in '04. Anyway, it finally would not reset, plug in and out, wait a week, etc. I did find a procedure that helped me pull the DM out in one piece: http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:I... My thanks to auhor that wrote it. Good detail with pictures. I will buy the Radio Shack 1000uF 35V caps, as recommended by "chuckleberry", for $1.59 each (x 4 = $6.36 + tax). I will let you know if I am successful. I'd rather be pulling apart a radar system than working on a TV.   John 

I have a similar issue with my paperweight could you please give me the address of the site that helped you with pulling out the DM. The link does not work for me. Thanks for the help. Rich

rafael
I too have the green blinkin

I too have the green blinkin light of death.  I am truly upset about this since my 3 year warrantee Just expired about 13 days ago!!!! As you can imagine i am verry bitttttter right now, but thanks to all of you guys I might take this tube apart and fix it myself.  My main question is, does the 65in have the same 1000ui 35 v caps or is there different ones on the DM Module?  Thanks for the response in advance.  Its much appreciated.

Larry Dillon
Yes it does. If you want the

Yes it does. If you want the detailed version with pictures and things, leave your e-mail and I would be more then happy to send it to you. Good Luck with this repair and let us know how you make out with this TV set.

Kevin D.
Hey,

Hey,

I'm in need of the full guide with pictures if someone could forward it to '[email protected]'

Thanks,

Kevin D.

Larry Dillon
Kevin, I tryed to mail the

Kevin, I tryed to mail the repair to you but it said your E-Mail was wrong, it looks like you added something to the beginning and end. Please post the corrected e-mail addy if you still need this procedture instructions.

Kevin D.
Sorry, I put quote's around

Sorry, I put quote's around the email and didn't realize the forum would auto-link it.

[email protected] 

or if gmail gives you problems with attachments

[email protected]

Thanks!

Kevin D.

Tapas
Hi Larry,

Hi Larry,

Could you please email me the detailed instructions with pictures on how to remove the DM Module? I have a Mitsubishi WS-55813 TV with the constant blinking green LED problem.

My email address is

[email protected]

I have removed the back cover of the TV and have the Service Manual. I am not sure how to slide back the light box so that I could access the DM shield. Your instructions with pictures will be of great help to me.

Best regards,

Tapas

fubardyn
I have a WS-55908 that I was

I have a WS-55908 that I was just watching and it just shut down. When I try to turn it back on the green light comes on for a few seconds then goes back off. It does not blink. Could this be the same problem that is being discussed here? Is the 908 the same as the 613? My extended warrenty just expired 3 months ago. The TV was bought at the end of 2001. Any help and/or ideas would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, Chris

Also please send me the proceedure that has been discribed. Thanks 

Email: [email protected]

Larry Dillon
Tapas, consider it done, but

Tapas, consider it done, but please make sure you know how to solder and replace parts on a printed circuit board, and if you have any doubts abouit ANYTHING, please do not attempt this repair.  Good luck and don't forget to get back with us to let us know how you made out with this repair.

Larry Dillon
Fubardyn,  This could very

Fubardyn,  This could very well the same problem BUt it could also be something completely differant as you I am sure have seen in the previous post, so  Please check all possibilities first.  I will send you the DM Board fix .  Good Luck and let us know how this turns out and what you did to repair your set or if you had a repair shop do it for you.

Pages

Connect With Techlore