sony KP-51WS510-convergence ic-help

936 posts / 0 new
Last post
Redman
Larry Dillon said:

Larry Dillon said:
sure I guess anything in this short life of ours could be possible, even from a technical veiw, BUT if you do not have a pico fuse to replace it with then simply use some clip leads across the leads an automobile fastblow AGC type fuse to test it with, just make sure it is around very close to the original value. there is one great way to do this also. Take out the Main AC fuse, take a 100 to 150 watt light bulb with some pigtails or clipleads attach, the leads to the AC fuse location, unplug set first. opps this should be first.now jump across the bad fuse or replace bad components. plug in set, Turn on the set, if the bulb glows bright then dim, let the set play.see if anything is getting warm or hot like the Stk IC. if so, disconnect and do not use like this . time, to replace the fuse and or the convergenc IC's. if the light bulb glows bright, then you know there is still a short or trouble in the set. disconnect set locate, replace , defective components

Hey thanks Larry! Your a saint! I am slightly confuse about your reply though. You suggest attaching the pigtails to each end of the pico or each end of the a/c fuse? Thanks again!

rupert maxwell
Hello Larry, and all others.

Hello Larry, and all others. I have a Sony KP-51WS510 and need a close-up photo of the pin-side of the convergence IC's still mounted on the D board. this photo needs to be taken before any repair work is done. I had a problem with a solder joint and need to see if all is well with my repaired unit. if anyone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

God Bless

Redman
Larry Dillon said:

Larry Dillon said:
a regulat smll las typ fuse.

ok, yeah i know the one. Thats the one to jump with the bulb. In doing this am I using the automotive fuse on the pico at the same time? Sorry for so many questions, i just want to be sure to get it right. Thnx

Larry Dillon
yes! you need to jump the

yes! you need to jump the pico also with a fuse of the same value.

Redman
Larry Dillon said:

Larry Dillon said:
yes! you need to jump the pico also with a fuse of the same value.

Sounds good larry, thanks again! Ill keep ya posted.

luvonlypower
Hi, I have happend to get

Hi, I have happend to get this particular tv the sony KP51WS510 from a friend for free they complained about some color issue so I took it home. Once home the tv seemed to work fine for a couple of weeks. I began to wonder why they gave it away. Then one day there was this convergence problem like you've been talking about with a concave image on the screen. Is this the IC problem? I don't have experience with fixing tvs but I was going to throw it out anyway. I didn't pay for it after all. But if you could point me in the right direction maybe I could get it working. I would appreciate any help, thanks. If you want to email me its [email protected] thanks again.

Larry Dillon
there is a lot here on the

there is a lot here on the sony repair here on techlore, Im sure with a little reading you should figure it out.

arkie
How critical are the pico

How critical are the pico fuse values on the Sony. Some are 3.15 amp pico fuses orginally. Would it be OK to replace them with 3.00 pico fuses or maybe 3.5 pico fuses?

Charlie Chan
Well, not a happy camper.

Well, not a happy camper. Changed out the IC, Sanyo ones, and the only bad Pico I could find, still have a conver. problem. Shoot me.

Larry Dillon
measure the voltage points on

measure the voltage points on or around the IC, see what types of supply voltages to the IC'S. it is on the convergence circuit schematic, look for open coils, chokes, traps, traces,jumpers, cold-solder connections

Redman
ggalleone said:

ggalleone said:

Larry Dillon said: yes! you need to jump the pico also with a fuse of the same value.

Sounds good larry, thanks again! Ill keep ya posted.

ok, i have the pico jumped with an auto 5 amp fuse, and the glass fuse jumped with a light bulb and pigtails........wish me luck! If you dont hear from me again........well.....?????? I might be tosted....lol

Redman
ggalleone said:

ggalleone said:

Larry Dillon said: sure I guess anything in this short life of ours could be possible, even from a technical veiw, BUT if you do not have a pico fuse to replace it with then simply use some clip leads across the leads an automobile fastblow AGC type fuse to test it with, just make sure it is around very close to the original value. there is one great way to do this also. Take out the Main AC fuse, take a 100 to 150 watt light bulb with some pigtails or clipleads attach, the leads to the AC fuse location, unplug set first. opps this should be first.now jump across the bad fuse or replace bad components. plug in set, Turn on the set, if the bulb glows bright then dim, let the set play.see if anything is getting warm or hot like the Stk IC. if so, disconnect and do not use like this . time, to replace the fuse and or the convergenc IC's. if the light bulb glows bright, then you know there is still a short or trouble in the set. disconnect set locate, replace , defective components

Hey thanks Larry! Your a saint! I am slightly confuse about your reply though. You suggest attaching the pigtails to each end of the pico or each end of the a/c fuse? Thanks again!

Hey larry, what will the bulb do if the only problem is the fuse? And if that is the only problem I'm buying a lotto ticket!!!!

Redman
ggalleone said:

ggalleone said:

ggalleone said:

Larry Dillon said: sure I guess anything in this short life of ours could be possible, even from a technical veiw, BUT if you do not have a pico fuse to replace it with then simply use some clip leads across the leads an automobile fastblow AGC type fuse to test it with, just make sure it is around very close to the original value. there is one great way to do this also. Take out the Main AC fuse, take a 100 to 150 watt light bulb with some pigtails or clipleads attach, the leads to the AC fuse location, unplug set first. opps this should be first.now jump across the bad fuse or replace bad components. plug in set, Turn on the set, if the bulb glows bright then dim, let the set play.see if anything is getting warm or hot like the Stk IC. if so, disconnect and do not use like this . time, to replace the fuse and or the convergenc IC's. if the light bulb glows bright, then you know there is still a short or trouble in the set. disconnect set locate, replace , defective components

Hey larry, what will the bulb do if the only problem is the fuse? And if that is the only problem I'm buying a lotto ticket!!!!

Just plugged and played. There is a ticking noise that ticks in a pattern, the bulb keeps going bright to dim at pace with the clicking. Any ideas what that means? I didnt leave it on long enough to check for heat issues because this activity didnt match any of the above behaviors. thnx again.

Redman
ggalleone said:

ggalleone said:

ggalleone said:

ggalleone said:

Just plugged and played. There is a ticking noise that ticks in a pattern, the bulb keeps going bright to dim at pace with the clicking. Any ideas what that means? I didnt leave it on long enough to check for heat issues because this activity didnt match any of the above behaviors. thnx again.

My uncle pointed out to me that I grabbed a 3 way bulb. Im an idiot..lol. I put the glass fuse back in and ran the tv breifly with the auto fuse. The fuse didnt blow and the pic wasnt bad for about a min but is slowly started get bad and I could slightly smell that something was getting warm. I then powered off the set and unplugged. Next I felt the ic's with my hand but they where not at all warm. There is however two small grey blocks closest to me on the "d" board. One looks perfect, the other looks like it is concaved or melting and there is a dripp next to it on the actuall d board itself. Im going to take a pic and post it.

Redman
At this point I have had the

At this point I have had the set on with the pico jumped and the fuse hasnt blown. I still cannot adjust the convergence though. Also while the set is running I have been feeling the ics and they are not getting hot.

Redman
My uncle downloaded the

My uncle downloaded the schematics from this site and has had me testing different things. He said theres reason to believe that power is being pulled from somewhere and therefore not getting accurate readings from "G" board to "D" board. He said its either power supply bad or something on the "G" board. Any suggestions Larry? Also... Larry, if you ever come to chicago hit me up and I'll buy ya a beer! Or ten! What ever.....thnx again

Larry Dillon
Check the voltage on the two

Check the voltage on the two pico fuses, located on the G board they start with PS5001 and PS 5002,as marked on the G board they should check like a fuse, and have plus and minus 24 volts or so on each end of the pico's

Larry Dillon
If the IC'S are not getting

If the IC'S are not getting warm or hot on the heat sink, there is probably not getting he both plus and minus voltage going to the IC's 24 v0lts (+/-)4-5 volts DC

Charlie Chan
I lifted the board and tacked

I lifted the board and tacked soldered two wires to one of the +22lines and -22line, both getting voltage. Also measured the output on the picos and they check in with the very low voltages called out in the manual. also checked and re-checked all feedback resistors and cap networks, all ok. still can't get rid of the bowed lines. Maybe I messed things up too much before this point. Don't know and not sure where to look now.

Charlie Chan
got the voltage to the D

got the voltage to the D board. and output picos on D board working.

Charlie Chan
I also shared the thought

I also shared the thought that sometime was pulling the 22 but it is there on the two IC's. they just don't get warm at all, could put my tongue on them after 30min of OP's.

gokulkavin
Hi

Hi
MR Larry dillon I think you only can help me.I have a sony KP-51WS510 with convergence problem.Tv has double pictures like ghost problem.I just bought 2 STK392-560 convergence ic and changed it ,I check those pico fuses too.everything is fine.But after I installed those IC's the picture still same.Please help me on this any help will be appreciated. Do I need to do anything else.
thanks
gokulkavin (new member)

Redman
I had to take a break from

I had to take a break from dealing with this tv issue. Several of us seem to have the same problem> Ic's dont get hot and picos are good. My uncle seems to think that theres a voltage problem somewhere. he said it seems something is pulling the voltage from somewhere it shouldnt be. If theres anything I am able to figure out i'll let you all know, and plz do same for me. thnx

cool_breeze
I'm experincing the same

I'm experincing the same convergence problems on my SONY KP-51WS510: Picture curved and displayed in three ghostly seperate colors. Could someone email me the service manual? my email is [email protected]

Thank You!

kwalvatne
i have the sony kp-57ws500

i have the sony kp-57ws500 and my question is whats the best way to get to the stk362-560

Redman
The service manual is in the

The service manual is in the techs corner in this site. As for getting to the Ic's I think you have to remove the D board. Larry is the guy to tell you exactly how though.

Larry Dillon
http://www.techlore.com
Kenni
Can someone please email me

Can someone please email me the service manual for sony KP-51WS510? I'm trying to replace my convergence ic chips since I'm seeing red and green shadows on my screen. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

email: [email protected]

Calvin W
Hello to all..

Hello to all..
I have a Sony KP 51ws510 which is displaying a green bow-tie shawdow, when in letter box mode the corners of the picture are strecthed outward when i
adjust the convergence i can see the red and blue alignment cross movement so
i believe my convergence IC's are working.
Question: Is there anything else which could cause such an effect.

Redman
hey larry, nevermind the post

hey larry, nevermind the post i put in the mitsubishi section. Ido however have a question about the sony. Figuring I got nothing else to lose with this thing I tried to go into the factory convergence menu using your directions above. Not only could i not get into the menu but now it turns on breifly then shuts down and the little red light flashes four times in a row. What does this mean? Did i kill the tv even more or is this a further indication of the existing problem? Any help is always greatly appriciated!

Pages

Connect With Techlore