Mitsubishi WS65613 Light blinking

612 posts / 0 new
Last post
grabbyzz
From what a local repairman

From what a local repairman told me, it's not just these older 03 and 04 models of Mits tv's.  He's repairing newer DLP's too for this very same bad-caps issue.  It's not only Mits, but it's mostly Mits.   I'm hoping that the replacements I used weren't manufacturered by the same company that made the factory caps.  Time will tell (very little time heh).  It would be funny to make it where the caps were replaceable outside the back panel of the TV.  I wouldn't mind doing this repair every few years though.  I wonder if it's bad caps + bad circuitry... could some badly designed circuit cause a cap to fail like this? 

Larry Dillon
It takes a lot man. I have

It takes a lot man. I have not counted the hits alone for this problem. It is in the thousands I do know that. I will get together a list.

Larry Dillon
Oh, and BTW, if the

Oh, and BTW, if the Miysubishi DLP TV sets are using a DM board, they are having the same issue with the capacitors.  There are alot of these DLP TV sets that use a light engine as well as the DM board.

Larry Dillon
Hef, I am sending out the

Hef, I am sending out the repair docs to you.

grabbyzz
I just walked Ryan (member

I just walked Ryan (member "Angan" above) through the dissasembly of his WS-55613 on the phone.  He was easily able to identify bulging in 3 of the 4 capacitors.  He is taking the board to a computer serviceman for the soldering at this moment.  I'll post information for him on the success later today hopefully.

To our surprise, there is NO grounding strap on the top of the doubler shield in Ryan's WS-55613!  His main PC board tray also only had 1 screw instead of 3 like mine (non-issue, but shows QC problem with Mits).  Has anyone else discovered the absence of a grounding strap on the doubler shield?  I'm curious if Mits decided to leave it out for this particular model or perhaps it was forgotten.

Larry Dillon
There are several models that

There are several models that do not have the grounding strap on the doubler shield. Do not know why?

grabbyzz
The interesting thing is that

The interesting thing is that his WS-55613 has a label just like my WS-65813 inside that tells the serviceman to remove the ground strap before proceeding with the tray sliding.  It's odd that they put that notice label in his TV but then didn't put the strap to go along with it.

Guest (not verified)
Just pulled my set apart.

Just pulled my set apart. Caps are swollen. I ordered new one yesterday. Hopefully they will be here soon. Stinks having to watch football without HD. Thanks all.

steve16
Yup fixed mine several weeks

Yup fixed mine several weeks ago. Watching the Dolphins game now. Sound goes out every once in a while. Still need to fix a cap or two on the power supply. Still beats throwing away a $4,000.00 tv!! :-)

grabbyzz
I wouldn't use the TV for the

I wouldn't use the TV for the audio system but if you do plan on using a higher quality setup (like 5.1), use the audio directly from your cable box and go that route.  You'll then hate the quality of the Mits' speakers ;)  That would fix the audio cutting out issue nicely :)

steve16
Yes but see the issue really

Yes but see the issue really is that when the sound goes it is barely audable and then you can not use the remote control or the panel on the tv itself to turn the volume up or down it is not responsive. Nor can you turn the channel on the tv itself. You can use the cable remote to turn the channel and the real issue with that is that I can not change the device options so that I can turn it to use my dvd player to see a movie....  Thats where it really hurts. That was my first reaction... now I have a real good reason to give to my wife why I need a surround sound system now.. :-)

Wink

Grendal_69
Larry -

Larry -

Yet another one with constant blinking light. WS65813 Manufactured-Nov 2003

I followed some of the info here and removed the DM and saw the caps that appear swollen. You must be keeping crazy business sending out the docs that everyone is asking for. Would you mind sending me info also. [email protected]

Thanks

Larry Dillon
I sent the repair

I sent the repair instructions to you. Good Luck

blondie42550
To Jon -

To Jon -

Everybody, I did the cap swap on my WS-55613 and it couldn't have been any easier.  A simple swap and it cleared my problem up and I was enjoying CRYSTAL clear HD football all Sunday with my fiance and some Oktoberfests. 

It was SO simple and I can NOT believe that TV repair people charge up to $700+ dollars for this repair.  The hardest part about it is the simple fear that you think it is harder than you think.

Go buy 16V OR 25V 1000uf 105C caps at any store that sells capacitors.  DO NOT get the 85C, they MUST MUST MUST be high temp.  the 25V just work harder and better.  Like installing a supercharger in your engine. 

Simple swap, you should practice first by taking off a cap off an old remote control or old electronic that is lying around, you will get the soldering iron down quick.  If not, GO TO A NEARBY FLEA MARKET, there are trades men EVERY where that will do it for next to nothing.  I did mine myself with the help of my brother. 

I installed them, swapped the tv on, and within 1 minute the blinking green light stopped blinking...and viola...crystal HD viewing.  Jon, you saved my bank account.

People, total cost:  $8.74 for all 4 caps and roughly 4 - 5 hours of time, with driving, breaks in between and actual soldering time. 

GOOD LUCK and yes, get Larry's diagram, it does help. 

grabbyzz
Woohoo!  That's a good story!

Woohoo!  That's a good story!  I'm glad you were able to do the soldering job yourself Ryan!  I was about to call ya and see how it turned out so it was good you posted the ending here.

vlkwidowl
iwoke sunday morning to the

iwoke sunday morning to the blinking green monster,  being unpluged or pressing the reset does nothing. modle#ws-55813 any info or insrtuctions would be greatly appreceated.cant afford tech

Larry Dillon
Tom, where do you want me to

Tom, where do you want me to send the documents?

vlkwidowl
Larry Dillon said: Tom, where

Larry Dillon said: Tom, where do you want me to send the documents?

[email protected]

Larry Dillon
Ok Thomas, I have sent out

Ok Thomas, I have sent out the repair documents. Good Luck.

nipolian dinomite
Larry,  I got to join this

Larry,  I got to join this exclusive "blinking light" club this week and would also like the repair documents.  Thanks you are providing a great service.

[email protected]

Treaty
I have a model 65813. Like

I have a model 65813. Like everyone else, my TV has the dreaded blinking light problem. It happened when the set hit 4 years old. Saw the great .pdf file from chrisandnat. Larry, if you have any additional information or instructions for replacing the 4 caps I would appreciate it. My email is [email protected]. Thanks for the great info in this forum.

grabbyzz
Hey BobD, you came to the

Hey BobD, you came to the right place.  Like you, I also have the 65813 and followed Larry's instructions with success!  I have a feeling this thread will be the longest thread ever.

Larry Dillon
I have sent out to all who

I have sent out to all who left an e-mail address. Good Luck and please ask if you have any troubles.

Treaty
Larry,

Larry,

Replaced the 4 caps on the DM board of my 65813 and my TV is working again. Thanks for all the help. I still have one additional problem that I hoped that the cap replacement would solve, but I just noticed it happen again. Periodically, the video and audio cut out on the TV. The green light on the front panel is on solid, and if you look carefully at the screen, you can see a some faint video noise. The on screen programming works just fine when it gets in this mode however. If I turn the TV off and back on again, it works fine. The failure happens at random intervals: sometimes several times a day, and then no problems for weeks. Any ideas? Thanks again for your help with the power on problem. Again my email is [email protected].

grabbyzz
I sometimes get a wavy video

I sometimes get a wavy video noise and it can either go away on its own or improve after resetting the TV.  I do suspect that there's an issue elsewhere in this TV, however, my serious wavy video noise pretty much went away completely after changing the caps.  I don't use my 65813 for audio since I use a component system, so I don't know if my audio cuts out.  I haven't had any video problems after this modification except for TimeWarner's programming flaws.  Would be neat if someone could somehow post a video with the problem for further analysis.

Larry Dillon
Intermittant problems are

Intermittant problems are very hard indeed to find sometimes. I have heard that bad solder connection on the plugs or the stand up boards can cause this problem. Double check all of the boards around the DM and make sure they are all pluged in firmly.

DanM
Larry -

Larry -

I also suffer from blinking light syndrome on my WS-65613. Can you please forward the docs to [email protected]. Thanks for providing a great service.

sable
Another one bites the dust! 

Another one bites the dust!  Add my '03 WS-65613 to the insane list of those facing the blinking green light.  Larry, if there is room at the bottom of your request list, please add [email protected].  Thanks in advance for any help! 

Larry Dillon
I will add you to my list of

I will add you to my list of many and send them out early today. Good Luck

club
What is going on with these

What is going on with these models... my 55613 went out last night and the light just keeps on blinking... reset and disconnect do not work.... I would greatly appreciate it if you would be kind enough to send me any advice or instructions on how to fix it, as the TV is in Baja and if possible I will have to do the repairs myself. I am 20 minutes from San Diego, so I could get across the border and get parts there. My address is [email protected] Muchas Gracias!!

Pages

Connect With Techlore