sony KP-51WS510-convergence ic-help

936 posts / 0 new
Last post
Alnp
JohnnySmoke, I can't take

JohnnySmoke, I can't take credit for the hex wrench idea, I just remembered it from someone else's previous post.

Chip, look here for sony convergence article by zapdbf amd Larry.
http://www.techlore.com/forum/thread/20957/Sony-KP-51WS510-Convergence-P...

Chip
I'm back. On my Sony KP

I'm back. On my Sony KP-65WS500. I replaced STKs and pico fuses on the G board. Everything looked like it was going well. Just needed to make some convergence adjustments. First did Red on green and it was fine. When I went to do the Blue on Green, I cannot move the blue at all. I can adjust red and green, but not blue. Any suggestions?

jliu66
Hi, there

Hi, there

Did anyone buys stk392-570 IC chips from this online dealer? Are they reliable and made from Sanyo originally? Also 5A pico fuses are also at good prices?

www.richtechparts.com/

Thanks for information.

John

jliu66
Hi, there,

Hi, there,

One more questions. How many 5A pico fuses do I need to purchase online? I have not check yet and I do not know how many burned.

Thanks.
John

Alnp
Chip said:

Chip said:
I'm back. On my Sony KP-65WS500. I replaced STKs and pico fuses on the G board. Everything looked like it was going well. Just needed to make some convergence adjustments. First did Red on green and it was fine. When I went to do the Blue on Green, I cannot move the blue at all. I can adjust red and green, but not blue. Any suggestions?

find in the manual which convergence resistors are related to the stk blue and check those

Larry Dillon
great advice and check them

great advice and check them with a metter! you most of the time cnnot see if they re bad.

Larry Dillon
If I am not mistaking, I

If I am not mistaking, I think the only 5 amp picos are on th G boaard best wat to tll i to look i up. to br ur.

GatorKev
Did anyone find out how many

Did anyone find out how many fuses there are to be replaced?

mathelm
I've done 3 of these repairs

I've done 3 of these repairs and haven't had to replace any fuses.

GatorKev
mathelm said: I've done 3 of

mathelm said: I've done 3 of these repairs and haven't had to replace any fuses.

Thanks for the reply.  I will be taking the parts to someone else to solder so should I just replace them anyways to be safe and save time (and possibly money)?  I don't really have the soldering experience so I don't want to mess it up...

mathelm
I don't guess it would hurt

I don't guess it would hurt to change them, but that seems like a lot of work when a simple ohm's meter ( $3 bucks at harbor freight ) test would tell you if you need to or not.

sldysart
Larry,

Larry,
This site has been invaluable in working through convergence issues. I have the bowtie effect on a Sony KP-46WT510. Have pulled both STK chips from the D board and found one pico fuse out on the G board and preparing for replacement.

a) Any benefit in stepping up to a STK392-570 or should I stay with STK392-560?
b) Is it typical for just one pico fuxe to need replacement?
c) Can you send a copy of the service manual to me for runing the final adjustments.

Thanks for all your help!
Scott

mathelm
Yes... you need to read more

Yes... you need to read more of the thread....

Larry Dillon
I like to stay originl s

I like to stay originl s there is no lab tet that I know of that proves anything differnant. Yes it is typical that only onr pico ewill l ou at a time. the serice manual is availbblr herer on the tchnivisnd corner or go to th home page nd inf d on ths left hsnd sie of th page a link for fre srvice mnual downloads.

rupert maxwell
To: Mathelm

To: Mathelm
Your early coments of the difficulty of installing the convergance IC's is overly stated and misleading. I have no soldering skills, only played around with a board once and did not buy any special tools or soldering iron other than the old $4.00 job I purchased from radio shack 20 years ago, and I was able to replace the SK392560 IC's with little difficulty. Why don't you save your sorry-assed, depressed advice and place it somewhere else. For others trying to do the IC replacement... listen to good advice from people like Larry Dillon and others on this site.

mathelm
I don't recall saying it was

I don't recall saying it was difficult. Can you quote me?

STUMPED25
I have the same model

I have the same model television and have been having problems with the television shutting back down after powered on followed by blinking standby light on the front. I had a best buy technician come out and diagnose the problem. He told me that the d-board part #A-1302-180-A needed to be replaced, so I called PTS and they told me I can extract the board and send it off for rebuilding. I have almost completely extracted the board but there is one red wire that is connected to what looks like a grey transformer of some type and I can't figure out how to disconnect it so I can completely extract it and send it off for repair. Can anyone please help me out with this. I don't want to cut and resolder the wire unless I won't hurt any parts.

mathelm
You really need to read more

You really need to read more of this thread, but you push and twist it to the left, and disconnect from the TV side.

Before you ship your board out, you should at least skim over this thread. The answer I just gave you, along with a few horror stories about shipping these boards.

btw.. If you can take it out, then you can fix it. Unlike what my big fan above "said I said"... It's not hard, probably not as hard as taking the board out.

jliu66
Larry,

Larry,

I get a question to ask about Sony KP-51WS510. I found that there are two 5A pico fuse on G board and six 3.15A pico fuse under heat sink on D board. Is that correct for that model? If 3.15A pico fuse is bad, can I use 5A pico fuse to replace 3.15A pico fuse or I need to use the exact model of pico fuse as a replacement? I use the analog multimeter to test those eight pico fuses(5A and 3.15A). The OHM shows all zero. It looks like they are good? Right? Thanks so advice.

Kindly, John

jliu66
Hi,Larry,

Hi,Larry,

I get a question to ask about Sony KP-51WS510. I found that there are two 5A pico fuse on G board and six 3.15A pico fuse under heat sink on D board. Is that correct for that model? If 3.15A pico fuse is bad, can I use 5A pico fuse to replace 3.15A pico fuse or I need to use the exact model of pico fuse as a replacement? I use the analog multimeter to test those eight pico fuses(5A and 3.15A). The OHM shows all zero. It looks like they are good? Right? Thanks so advice.

Kindly, John

STUMPED25
Manthelm I did as you said

Manthelm I did as you said and tried pushing in and turning counterclockwise but no dice. Can you send me those manuals you spoke of earlier in the thread so that I can get a better picture of what exactly I am doing so I don't mess anything up? I would greatly appreciate it my email is [email protected]
Thanks again

mathelm
http://www.techlore.com

http://www.techlore.com/download/23110/Sony-KP-51-57-65-WS500/

Sometimes they can be a pain, but slide the boot back and out of the way, push in ( maybe shake a bit) twist left and pull.

good luck

wolfgang01
STUMPED25 said: Manthelm I

STUMPED25 said: Manthelm I did as you said and tried pushing in and turning counterclockwise but no dice. Can you send me those manuals you spoke of earlier in the thread so that I can get a better picture of what exactly I am doing so I don't mess anything up? I would greatly appreciate it my email is [email protected] Thanks again

your problem may be simmilar to mine.  when you push in the boot, make sure you push in the cable also at the same time.  try moving the cable in a circular motion a few times before you attempt to take it out.  sometimes heat causes them to stick a bit.

STUMPED25
Thanks man I got the manuals

Thanks man I got the manuals and got the wire loose I just wasn't pulling hard enough because I was afraid I would mess something up. So thats it huh? Now I just send it off with the transistor and two red wires still connected and wait for repair, and just re-install am I correct? Thanks so much man you've been a great help

Mike Teevee
Could someone send me the

Could someone send me the service manual for the KP-46WT500? This is a very helpful website. I almost lost hope for fixing my tv. email:[email protected]

Thanks

mathelm
Good Job, But I can't stress

Good Job, But I can't stress enough the chance you're taking sending that board out to be fixed. I sent my first one out, via UPS, packed as tight as I could get it. The company never called, and when I called them, they said it arrived cracked ( therefore ruined. UPS denied the claim and I never saw that "cracked" D board again, even though they "shipped it back to me".

Bottom line is, if you must ship it ( try to find someone local) read through this thread about packing. I think I wrote something about it, if I didn't let me know and I'll give you some tips.

tip 1: No Peanuts....

mathelm
Mike, could you read 3 post

Mike, could you read 3 post up from your's.

Mike Teevee
Saw that but wasn't sure if

Saw that but wasn't sure if it would be the same for the 47. I'll give it a shot.
Thanks

mathelm
As far as I know, that's the

As far as I know, that's the only one we have. But their all close enough. It'll get you into the service mode on Sony, and the "D boards" and IC's are pretty much the same on the projection type TV's I've seen.

STUMPED25
I did see your post on the

I did see your post on the packing going to double box and bubblewrap will let you know the outcome in couple weeks thanks

Pages

Connect With Techlore