AKAI PTH5498 CONVERGENCE SAMSUNG 54" 1080i

162 posts / 0 new
Last post
electrohobby
Larry Dillon said: I bet the

Larry Dillon said: I bet the ic's have an intermittent condition and yes they probably will go bad and when they do could take out several resistors Larry Dillon.

Yes. It's like the Fan is keeping the ICs on life support. They have been progessively degrading. When I installed the two STKs in october they ran good for 2 months with the TV closed.  After 2 months I have had to increase the progressively increase the cooling power to keep the covergence from failing.

1. Kept the back cover open.

2. Placed a big window fan behind the TV with back cover open to suck the hot air out.

3. Installed a fan right on the heatsink

I called Pacific Semi and they have agreed to investigate. I may be able to get replacements. Then if I keep the fan installed from day 1, I hope the TV will last.

I called pacificsemi on this and they will look into this.

electrohobby
SamsungHelpNeeded said: whats

SamsungHelpNeeded said: whats the secret to moving the pattern to the right???? 17. CONVERGENCE ADJUSTMENT PATTERN MOVE KEY Move the whole Convergence Adjustment Pattern to the left (MTS Button) or adjust the H-POS value in Convergence Factory Mode. (Before beginning Convergence Adjustment, precisely match the center of the TV screen with the center of the Convergence screen.)

In my TV it is the Sleep button on the remote.

electrohobby
electrohobby said:

electrohobby said:

SamsungHelpNeeded said: whats the secret to moving the pattern to the right???? 17. CONVERGENCE ADJUSTMENT PATTERN MOVE KEY Move the whole Convergence Adjustment Pattern to the left (MTS Button) or adjust the H-POS value in Convergence Factory Mode. (Before beginning Convergence Adjustment, precisely match the center of the TV screen with the center of the Convergence screen.)

In my TV it is the Sleep button on the remote.

Besides that you can try pressing 2 to return the convergence data to factory settings or 1 to Zero out the convergence data or the following

20. Move Convergence Pattern P54A Service Manual

After pressing the R.surf button, use the Channel Up/Down and Volume +/- buttons to move the

Convergence Pattern up/down/left/right.

SamsungHelpNeeded
HC-P4363W is the model number

HC-P4363W is the model number for my TV....

Its weird there is no sleep button on my remote, my TV is a 42 inch Samsung i have the manual and nowhere in the thing can i find how to move it right....

It moved left fine no problems so doesn't there have to be some way I can get The Convergence Pattern back to the center of the screen....

Larry Dillon
Sounds like a convergence

Sounds like a convergence issue with the set!!??
Larry D.

SamsungHelpNeeded
It doesnt state a button to

It doesnt state a button to move it right for my remote...i can move it up and down and left....so there has to be some way to center it again or move it to the right whats the trick for my TV???

electrohobby
Since you don't have a sleep

Since you don't have a sleep button have you tried "After pressing the R.surf button, use the Channel Up/Down and Volume +/- buttons to move the Convergence Pattern up/down/left/right"? Both methods work on my set.

SamsungHelpNeeded
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs131.snc3/17875_4197325804...

Heres the layout of my remote from the service manual

electrohobby
electrohobby said:

electrohobby said:

Larry Dillon said: I bet the ic's have an intermittent condition and yes they probably will go bad and when they do could take out several resistors Larry Dillon.

Yes. It's like the Fan is keeping the ICs on life support. They have been progessively degrading. When I installed the two STKs in october they ran good for 2 months with the TV closed.  After 2 months I have had to increase the progressively increase the cooling power to keep the covergence from failing.
1. Kept the back cover open.
2. Placed a big window fan behind the TV with back cover open to suck the hot air out.
3. Installed a fan right on the heatsink
 I called Pacific Semi and they have agreed to investigate. I may be able to get replacements. Then if I keep the fan installed from day 1, I hope the TV will last.
 I called pacificsemi on this and they will look into this.

Updating: Pacific Semi said they have checked that the parts were original and even the original parts can fail because of variety of reasons. It is very hard to tell why they failed. They won't replace the parts. Even if I get STKs from elsewhere they might fail because the root cause may be something else that is causing them to fail. The new convergence board is $150 which I I feel is just too expensive considering a new Plasma is $700 now. The best option now is to just run the TV for as long as it runs rather than sink more money into it.  

SamsungHelpNeeded
See so I'm not crazy and it

See so I'm not crazy and it isn't showing me any way to move it right....unless there is a tech secret to doing so............

electrohobby
Have you tried moving 1 line

Have you tried moving 1 line at a time for each of the colors by pressing 4 and using the arrow keys?

SamsungHelpNeeded
yeah I tried that but the red

yeah I tried that but the red wont go so i guess i should just leave the tv the way it is since it works half descent but i would like to get it perfect.

electrohobby
Since red doesn't move you

Since red doesn't move you should change a convergence IC to fix it and perhaps install a fan like I did.

Larry Dillon
you really should replace

you really should replace both convergence ic's at once and only with original Sanyo ic's.
Larry

electrohobby
Larry Dillon said: I bet the

Larry, You were right!

The ICs did go out while I was switching on the set from cold. The red power light normally goes off didn't go off. I had to unplug the set and retry a couple of times before the screen turned on with the convergence all messed up.  I took out the board and found that the Fuses were not blown. I removed the ICs from the board and ohmed out all the power resistors around the ICs and they are closed almost Zero ohms.  I put the board back in with the STK ICs removed and the set powers on fine everytime.

Now I am wondering whether to change the whole board, change the ICs or just dump the TV.  It's too bad since after I replaced the blue CRT fluid the picture was awesome.  Is there anyway to confirm that ICs are original?

Larry Dillon
dependes on how much you want

dependes on how much you want to spend a complete board will be about double the cost then to replace just the ic.kit. The best advice I can tell you at this point is to go to tvrepairkits.com and order the complete convergence kit for your model of TV set, no need to search and order multiple parts from different sources and pay multiple shipping fees! The kit comes with original Sanyo STK ICÂ’S , not those cheap aftermarket or china made ICÂ’S full pictorial directions, the thermal paste, resistors, the correct Pico fuses, AND free live on-Line tech assistance in case you run into a problem with the repair. They ship out 2 to 3 day Priority mail, the next day in most cases,

nunoit
? i have a pt5598hdx tv and

? i have a pt5598hdx tv and heres my problem. if i unplug the power to covernge board thats the(sub with stk chips) and connector from top of proscan module i get horizontal line and no sound. also red led blinks remote seems to work as well. now if i connect proscan connector to sub i get no sound no lines remote works and red led blinks. from reading forums i under stand even if coverenge was un powerd i should get pix. im wondering if the vertical defection circuit could be at fault. all diodes and fueses are good cheaked them. stk chips seem good as well although foung 2 3.9 ohm bad for red gun. any help would be great. thanks

nunoit
sorry about the dubble post.

sorry about the dubble post. also i have compleet schematics akai is samsung sams setup chepper parts.

Larry Dillon
have you replaced the STK ic

have you replaced the STK ic's yet? you cannot tell if they are good unless you replace them first. The best advice I can tell you at this point is to go to TV repair kits.com and order the complete convergence kit for your model of TV set, click on here please: http://www.tvrepairkits.com/xcart/home.php?partner=larry
no need to search and order multiple parts from different sources and pay multiple shipping fees! The kit comes with original Sanyo STK ICÂ’S , not those cheap aftermarket or china made ICÂ’S full pictorial directions, the thermal paste, resistors, the correct Pico fuses, AND free live on-Line tech assistance in case you run into a problem with the repair. They ship out 2 to 3 day Priority mail, the next day in most cases,

nunoit
larry i found that if i pull

larry i found that if i pull both cg board and amp board out of circuit tv turns. i get red and blue on screen menu works but i have dobble image. just wondering if stk chips will fix or do ineed to replace the cg-mdl as well. i now there 2 differnt parts one is the amp board with stk392-040 chips and other is board with sdc12 and atmega chip. by the way my chips only have on face top rt side b3jo7 center stk392-040 are thies after market or genunine. thank you for your quick responce joe

Larry Dillon
not really sure but the

not really sure but the convergence kit is or would be less than the amp board. if that does notfix it you can get the other board. i have only seen that amp cause most problems with this model,The best advice I can tell you at this point is to go to TV repair kits.com and order the complete convergence kit for your model of TV set, click on here please: http://www.tvrepairkits.com/xcart/home.php?partner=larry
no need to search and order multiple parts from different sources and pay multiple shipping fees! The kit comes with original Sanyo STK ICÂ’S , not those cheap aftermarket or china made ICÂ’S full pictorial directions, the thermal paste, resistors, the correct Pico fuses, AND free live on-Line tech assistance in case you run into a problem with the repair. They ship out 2 to 3 day Priority mail, the next day in most cases,

nunoit
going to order chips ill let

going to order chips ill let you know what happens thanks for advice. joe

electrohobby
I replaced both the STKs

I replaced both the STKs again but the convergence still didn't work. I found that a 6.3Amp glass fuse on the -30 V power supply is blown on the power supply board. That's a slow blow fuse so it is interesting that the 3.5A fast blow pico fuses which are in series with the 6.3Amp fuse didn't blow. I'll get the 6.3Amp fuse from radioshack and install it. Hopefully it will do the trick.

Larry Dillon
where did you purchase the IC

where did you purchase the IC"S from?
Larry

eieio
Trust me. This job requires

Trust me. This job requires intricate, skilled soldering to successfully complete this task. Having gone through this procedure before. I would suggest purchasing the whole board. The part you need to resolve this situation is:Samsung AA95-01846D Sub Deflection Board. It is available at www.partstore.com among other sites. You will receive a genuine Samsung OEM board. The whole board is available for around $140. Buying a replacement kit is around $80 and the job may end up unsuccessful. I think the extra $60 far out weighs the hassle of tackeling this job. It's basically a plug-n-play operation. You may need to do a Vertical Shift adjustment, which is very simple. Even though I was able to successfully replace my ICs & blown picos and repair my board. It only lasted about 3 months. I see many posts from people attempting this repair without success. Many of which are more technical than myself. By replacing the whole board you could be enjoying your TV again in less than 1/2 hours time. My TV has been running fine since my last post after I replaced the board.

I would be interested to hear how some of you installed cooling fans. I suggested this earlier in the thread, but I wasn't sure how to go about it.

Thanks. Good luck to all!!!

Larry Dillon
if you know how to solder and

if you know how to solder and you follow the directions a kit with the original IC.S is not hard to do as well yes it may be less of a hassle but to save a few bucks these days is what a lot of folks are looking for.
Larry Dillon

Larry Dillon
I understand what you are

I understand what you are saying YES it is a lot easier to replace the board BUT about 50% less expensive and yes I do know as I have been in TV repair for More than 30 years I have Never replace a complete board as my shop never hired board JOCKEYS! only real technicians who know how to repair to the component level!!Believe me some sets I wish I did have the complete board but we still repaired it!
Larry Dillon

eieio
Here we go again. You live

Here we go again. You live for the debate Larry! You can make your point without being so condescending. With all due respect to your experience and expertise, you can't ignor that a majority of the people in this forum are not technicians, let alone 'board jockeys'. Of course everybody needs to save money, but how does it help the 'average joe' with some technical ability to spend $80+ on a kit and 3 hours or more on a repair only to end up with the same problem or even worse? Trace this lengthy thread and you'll find that there were many failed attempts or something that was missed by many people - all of which require time and wasted effort. Time is money too. My opinion is that replacing the board is a more cost effective option for less experienced readers. I'm just making a suggestion that may help some of the readers, not looking to get into a beef about 'who's the man'!

electrohobby
I only paid $20 including

I only paid $20 including shipping for the ICs on Ebay and the person I bought it from has 100% feedback rating. First time I paid $30 for them and they worked for a couple of months.

If it doesn't work this time after replacing the power supply fuse, I will just replace the whole board for $140.

The fact is that even original ICs can overheat and go bad in a couple of months if the root cause of the problem is somewhere else. Replacing the whole board with a new one is not only quicker but also may take care of other issues besides the ICs.

Larry Dillon
Sorry but for that price I

Sorry but for that price I highly doubt it if they are original ic's probably counterfits or china made or seconds/rejects.The best advice I can tell you at this point is to go to TV repair kits.com and order the complete convergence kit for your model of TV set, click on here please: http://www.tvrepairkits.com/xcart/home.php?partner=larry
Larry Dillon

Pages

Connect With Techlore