AKAI PTH5498 CONVERGENCE SAMSUNG 54" 1080i

162 posts / 0 new
Last post
nunoit
Larry the way i read it

Larry the way i read it sounded that way sorry. do you have that manual complete. my manual has every thing accept the micom diagrams.i don't think anybody has that one. pages are double wide so i would have to scan twice for each. also has all components list. and since i don't browse this site i don't know where to post it when done. apology accepted o and my manual is for the 5598. o and my apology to you.

nunoit
say electrohobby i was

say electrohobby i was looking at the proscan module has a direct contribution to video signal and quality. helps to control v-sync and others. check it out if you down load a copy of schematics you'll see that pins 48 to 60 are connected to a/v inputs.

Larry Dillon
apology accepted, I will

apology accepted, I will certanly look for you out of the many many RCA/THOPMSON manuals but I need the full model number please AND chassis numbers
Larry(AKA), Techman

nunoit
no no Larry i have the manual

no no Larry i have the manual i don't need one. thanks. but as i was trying to tell electro the pro-scan module could be where his latest problem could be. his s video went out of sync when he switched to it form tv mode.

electrohobby
Thanks guys. I really

Thanks guys. I really appreciate your help.

I have the copy of the Samsung_PCL_HCL_ST_models.pdf that I downloaded from this site.

I pulled out a couple of boards from their tin cans. One of them has CONV written on it. It has SDC11 IC and 9 Electrolytic caps. All those caps look normal from just looking at them. I don't have a Capacitive tester yet to test whether they are leaky.

The other board is MICOM. All the caps look fine too.

I am sorry, I don't understand which board is the pro-scan module?

nunoit
if you have the 5598 model tv

if you have the 5598 model tv there should be 3 boards the middle one is pro-scan if you plan in testing caps a word of warning electrolytics must be removed to test. smt caps are a bit of a pain to remove and resolder properly. the only other way is to buy really expensive in circuit tester. my 6 digit tester is old but good. i am in no rush to repair and parts house is basiclly down the street. small caps only cost me 5 or 10 cents ea. i get them at all electronics. i hope its ok to post web site. they do not carry smt type. since caps only last so long i just get a bunch and replace old with new. just my habit. by the way micom board is the heart of tv don't jack that one. ok all controls go through that. i don't know if there is someone in your neck of the woods that can test or replace the boards for you. i have a 60 in in my bedroom now and don't really care much if this one works right. have fun Joe

Larry Dillon
yes i readvthat you had the

yes i readvthat you had the manual but you mentioned that yours was missing a part of the schematic. just download another copy and have a look at the new one-see if it has what you need!!
Larry D.

BillyD
This is a pretty old thread,

This is a pretty old thread, but it has been very helpful. I have the PT5498 and now after reading I learned that I have a convergence problem. Prior to or during that fix I have a larger problem...

the screen has a large black box in the middle of it. I would estimate that maybe 2 inches of actual picture shows all the way around the box. (~50" black box centered on screen) I get audio and the channels changes. If I change the source the entire picture shows for about one second and the black box reappears. This occurs on composite, component and cable(coax) inputs. With a dvd player, sateliite box and a vcr.

I hope this is not too far off the convergence topic. I figured someone would have seen this problem before and this thread gets lots of activity.

I appreciate any help.

chris99
Hi I alredy change the stk on

Hi I alredy change the stk on my samsung still looks doble and the red color is not in place i tried goin on the converg menu a put it on the correct position but i cant .Can you help me Thank you

electrohobby
One of the STKs is not

One of the STKs is not working then. Check the connections. My advice is to buy a new TV. I tried a lot of fixes like changing stks 3 times, changing the whole board and installing a fan over 1 year. They all worked for a few months and it would break again. Then I bought a new LED TV and much happier now.

walker1980
i have a samsung 47 inch

i have a samsung 47 inch projection set that apparently needs new convergence ics. first off its quite simple to just solder the new ics in if youve got the skills. just be certain that all convergence resistors are in value and if not replace them with CONVERGENCE QUALITY resistors(theres apparently a difference.)

DO NOT under any circumstances do the mute 1,8,2 unless youve already replaced the ics but it should auto adjust. atleast in my model: HC-P4752W it has the options to zero convergence or reset to defaults and auto focus.

i will say this: i attempted to manual converge my set with the defective ics. everything was going smoothly i just aligned the red with the already present green lines but when it came to the BLUE the problems started. the blue i had to align until it looked almost like an oscilloscope line(s) and the tv got reallllly hot. upon pulling the back cover, unplugged naturally i noticed that the ic that is in back was hot to the touch. tv set is fine and i zeroed and reset back to factory but i thought id toss that on the table as a fair warning. i lucked out. nothing burned, no board marks but even the carpet got warm so DO NOT adjust until the convergence ics are replaced and use the genuine sanyo. the chinese make alot of decent stuff and sure arctic silver with a chinese clone ic would most likely outlast the tv but for 10 bucks a pop on amazon(30 for 2 after shipping is factored in) for GENUINE samsung stk's its well worth the difference. and by all means DO NOT be afraid to use the heatsink compound. its dirt cheap and youll regret not using it liberally. my advice is to get arctic silver or the oz freeze stuff that the gamers use on thier cpus. im now looking into a tap on the 12 volt rail of the psu with enough leedway to install a computer fan thatll blow over the ics once they are replaced as they are stupidly crammed right in there HORRIBLE design samsung.

Pages

Connect With Techlore