AKAI PTH5498 CONVERGENCE SAMSUNG 54" 1080i

162 posts / 0 new
Last post
boxer119
Yes I founf the 3.5's today..

Yes I founf the 3.5's today... Installed them and all is well... The picture is still a little off center but I think it's from when it first happened I was messing with the convergene settings.. I will go through the steps to get the picture clearer.. That you all for you help..

cecilia
Hey everyone-- I've been

Hey everyone-- I've been having a problem similar to Boxer's with a Samsung HC-p4241W set.  I located 4 green pico fuses on the board (not under the heat sinks) and they were all good.  I replaced the two convergence IC's with new ones and I still have a convergence problem.  Any suggestions where to look or what else to do?  I didnt see any other pico fuses under the heat sinks as mentioned above...

sixtyyearsyoung
shademaster, thank goodness i

shademaster, thank goodness i stumbled into this site and read your post about the board from partstore.  my problem same as yours and, like you, tried to replace the ic's. couldn't even get em off the heat-sink.  was advised on a different site and was about to order the wrong board when i saw your post, checked out board # you mentioned, and glory be to you, there was my exact board!

anyway, thanks.  have you had any problems since?

rhodeshouse
Like alot of others online I

Like alot of others online I have read ,I'm still having the AKAI PTH5498 convergence problems after replacing both convergence ICs,which I did. I think I see the tiny green pico fuses(3.5 amp?) under the heat sinks but how do I know if they are bad or not and yes they look very hard to replace(not sure I can get them out and put back in). I do have some kinda small voltage tester? I'm not sure if it will test the pico fuses properly or not and how you even test a pico fuse( I have very limited elec knowledge). They don't look black or burned. I also read some are replacing the whole board for $85.00 and the TV is still broken(which I'm not sure what exact board I'm supposed to get or pico fuses.There isn't any master setup I have to do to get the convergence ajustment to work again after replacing the convergence ICs is there? If anyone has any suggestions, I'm trying to give the TV one last chance before I throw it out.

rhodeshouse
Oops I forgot to mention in

Oops I forgot to mention in my previous post that my AKAI PTH5498 convergence problem happened instantly when I turned the TV on,not over a period of time. It was working fine then it wasn't. Does that mean anything dif then convergence IC problems say like a fuse blew?

sixtyyearsyoung
the board is aa9501846d. if

the board is aa9501846d. if you order on the internet from partstore.com.  they have a picture so you are sure it's the same.   it's about $85 + tax w/ free shipping.  if you call they will charge you more and charge for shipping.  i got it in 3 days. installed. it fixed the convergence problem but resulted in a 2" gap at top but that may be because i removed and replaced the rear panel with the mirror.  i have another post with the new problem and hope to get a tip.

anyway, check out previous post from shademasters on how to identify.  be prepared to spend an afternoon r&r the board but fairly straightforward and no soldering!

eieio
HELLO AGAIN GENTLEMEN. I'M

HELLO AGAIN GENTLEMEN. I'M GLAD TO HEAR YOU GUYS ARE WORKING OUT YOUR CONVERGENCE PROBLEMS. RHODESHOUSE, I WOULD PURCHASE THE NEW BOARD FROM PARTS STORE. YOUR CHANCES FOR SUCCESS ARE MUCH GREATER. REPLACING THE PICOS IS MUCH MORE DIFFICULT THAN REMOVING THEM. REPLACING THE ICS IS A VERY TEDIOUS JOB. YOU'LL NEED MAGNIFYING TOOLS, A SOLDER VACUUM AND A LOT OF LIGHT.

SIXTYYEARSYOUNG, YOU'LL HAVE TO PRY THEM OFF THE HEAT SINK AFTER UNSCREWING. AGAIN, TOTAL BOARD REPLACEMENT IS WAY EASIER AND MORE COST-EFFECTIVE. THE ICS ALONE WILL COST YOU AROUND $25 PLUS ALL THE HASSLE. ALSO I HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS SINCE AFTER READING DDANIELS' POST ON ENTERING THE SERVICE MENU. I WAS ABLE TO ADJUST THE SCREEN BACK TO NORMAL. PLEASE REVIEW FOR DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS FOR ENTERING THE SERVICE MENU AND ADJUSTING THE SCREEN AFTER REPLACING THE BOARD. 

THANKS DDANIELS!!! TOGETHER WE CAN DO IT!!!!

rhodeshouse
Ok I replaced the

Ok I replaced the convergence board with a new one from partstore.com in this Akia AKAI PTH549 and it converged at first when I went to converge settings . All but one converge looked ok. For some reason the bottom left corner would not converge right and the bottom left corner was still bowed. I never could get the blue to converge at all and funny it looked more green not blue.Then after about an hour the whole convergence reset itself and went out again. When I tried to reset it again it didn't look too good. Anyone have any idea why the bottom corner wouldnt converge and the whole converge when out again?? By the way I looked and all 3 colors were lit in the tv. I hear the old trash dump calling this tv any day when I can figure out how to get rid of it. Anyone have any ideas before it goes?

sixtyyearsyoung
rhodeshouse said: Ok I

rhodeshouse said: Ok I replaced the convergence board with a new one from partstore.com in this Akia AKAI PTH549 and it converged at first when I went to converge settings . All but one converge looked ok. For some reason the bottom left corner would not converge right and the bottom left corner was still bowed. I never could get the blue to converge at all and funny it looked more green not blue.Then after about an hour the whole convergence reset itself and went out again. When I tried to reset it again it didn't look too good. Anyone have any idea why the bottom corner wouldnt converge and the whole converge when out again?? By the way I looked and all 3 colors were lit in the tv. I hear the old trash dump calling this tv any day when I can figure out how to get rid of it. Anyone have any ideas before it goes?

not a techie here so i'm not sure what your problem is.  so far, my new board works fine.  it corrected the red gun problem but then had to completely redo the convergence to eliminate that 2" gap at top.  sure somebody here can help you out.  dont give up

eieio
I believe the convergence

I believe the convergence reset that you are seeing could possibly be that the new board is blown? Of course, I am not sure of this. Did you tamper with or make any adjustments to anything since you started this. Were you able to connect the new white lead to the proper terminal on the right hand gun? Because that is a tricky task. You would have needed hemostats or some tiny hands to reach it. Also, were your reconnections correct? I had one connection reversed the first time I tried this, and I believe I ruined my original board. 

There is a way to do a full blown convergence by entering a different menu. If you read back to posts left by ddaniels he gives detailed instructions. I believe that the sequence is (mute 0 8 3) with the tv powered on to enter convergence. If you cant adjust either red or blue then you have problems with the convergence board.  Before aligning the convergence the set needs to warm up for at least 30 minutes according to the tech manual. moving those guns puts a lot of heat and stress on those convergence ics. This tv has a very poor design. Those three big guns are adjusted soley by those stk ics. They are the weak point of that TV. When adjusting convergence after warm up. I would suggest adjusting each cross hair a little at a time instead of moving one that's way out and heating up the ics too much. There also must be a way of placing a fan or cooling device to prevent these from getting too hot.

eieio
Sorry, correction. That

Sorry, correction. That convergence code is (mute 1 8 3).  

eieio
After trying what I suggested

After trying what I suggested. You can easily test your new board to see if it's blown. Put an ohm meter across each of the pico fuses under each ic. It's easier to look on the bottom side of the board for the (fuse) symbol. It looks like an (S). Test it from the bottom side because it will be easier to reach. It's also possible that you just blew one of those fuses and they are very cheap ($2 each). Try replacing them with 3.5 amp slo blow pico. These fuses are the first thing to go and the may have saved the ICs.

Larry Dillon
No shademaster, If the pico

No shademaster, If the pico is blown, that does not save the convergence IC! That saves the rest of the power supply from burning or blowing out. PLEASE DO NOT post wrong info to our members! The pico fuses do not blow out for no reason. They are there to prevent a fire or other damage in the set. Where did you get that silly information you left on your last post? They ARE not the first thing to go. The IC goes, draws too much current and blows out the pico fuse instead of the power supply. Just like if you had a short in one of your electrical outlets in your home. The short happens in the receptacle, the circuit breaker blows. If that did not happen. Your house would burn down.

rhodeshouse
I have tried to go to full

I have tried to go to full blown converg on my Akia AKAI PTH549 from the directions above and it doesn't do anything but mute the tv on and off when I push mute (hold mute?) and then 183. What am I doing wrong??? Next, red converg will adjust the red but when I go to blue convege it doesnt do anything to move the blue. Is it supposed to move the blue like it does the red? Some of the corner crosshairs are still bowed with themselves even though they do move when i converg. One crosshair will be slanted with the other crosshair behind it. I still have bad bow on the screen on the top and bottom middle even after putting in a new converg board from partstore.com. The center of the screen conveg looks pretty normal on the screen but I still have problems with corners and the center bow on screen. Does anyone have any ideas cause I'm really getting POed with this tv which I have already replaced with a new one.

rhodeshouse
I'm back------ again LOL.

I'm back------ again LOL. Right after I posted I got the full blown converg to work but the problem seems to be that I can't converg the blue on the grid only the red (and the blue grid is bowed top and bottom center and I can't adjust it). My question to all on your Akia TV does the blue convege/move/adjust the same way the red does?? If so I think something in the new board is blown or came broken cause I never could converge the blue in the reg conveg mode or the full blown mode. Thanks!

Larry Dillon
I bet there is a blown

I bet there is a blown circuit protector.

eieio
where would we find this

where would we find this circuit protector that you speak of?

eieio
sorry, but we're not techs

sorry, but we're not techs here. we don't even know what a circuit protector is or what to look for. is it a fuse? what type of component would it be ?

sixtyyearsyoung
again, i'm not a techie here,

again, i'm not a techie here, so i will just tell you my experience.  i also replaced the same board and it fixed the red gun problem.  however, i did have to do a complete redo of the convergence, just like we were advised.  in my case, i had to shift the entire picture up over 2", gun by gun. it was tedious but worked.  now, everything looks great!

sixtyyearsyoung
larry, correct me if i am

larry, correct me if i am wrong but once you are in the convergence mode, and you have gotten to the point where just the blue is on, you still need to hit "9" to move the blue gun.  yes?

Larry Dillon
If you do not know what it is

If you do not know what it is, you should not touch the set.  If you attempt a repair without  a service manual, you cannot blame anyone but yourself if you get stuck in the middle of a repair. I do not mean to sound crude or harsh, but my friend, it took many years of practical repair experience to do electronic repairs so how can it be so easy as a lot do think it is to explain to those who do not even have a clue on how to read a simple schematic diagram as that is electronic repair 101! How many times do I have to say, if you do not have the experience to do any follow-up repair after a board is replaced to play it safe and call a pro to assist you in the repair. Believe me, It is not because I wish to further the profit for some repair shop. It is because when you replace a board, YES you might get LUCKY! But if there are other problems, you cannot blame the messenger. I have had other problems with sets after replacing parts that I did not even have a clue were wrong with the set as we as techs, cannot be fortune tellers. it is simply not that easy of a job to say for sure what a problem with a device is without really getting our hands into it. Yes, we can, on common problems give advice, but we cannot teach a non tech things that took us some 25 years to learn.

Larry Dillon
sixtyears, Yes to adjust

sixtyears, Yes to adjust different colors you have to go to each one. Please tell me you have a service manual. I will need to see if I can find out the cross over between the Akai and the Samsung. But we here at techlore do have a technicians corner. If at the top you click on resources, you will see that we have several Samsung service manual available for a free download. This is a new service that techlore has started and I have uploaded several for those who need them. Go and download each one and see if you can find the one you need by comparing the boards or the inside of the sets you all have and let me know as I will post the appropriate Akai models with the Samsung models for all to share.

sixtyyearsyoung
Larry Dillon said: sixtyears,

Larry Dillon said: sixtyears, Yes to adjust different colors you have to go to each one. Please tell me you have a service manual. I will need to see if I can find out the cross over between the Akai and the Samsung. But we here at techlore do have a technicians corner. If at the top you click on resources, you will see that we have several Samsung service manual available for a free download. This is a new service that techlore has started and I have uploaded several for those who need them. Go and download each one and see if you can find the one you need by comparing the boards or the inside of the sets you all have and let me know as I will post the appropriate Akai models with the Samsung models for all to share.

no service manual.  what i do have is a nine page download from a "robert" thru epinions.com back in '02.  it details five areas: service menu - mute,1,8,2; picture settings; 56 point convergence - mute,1,8,3; vml/svm termination - basically he recommends setting "vml" to "0"; manual 16:9 squeeze trick - far too advanced for me to attempt.  stumbled onto the epinions site while researching what tv to buy.

i'll checkout the manuals.  thanks

Larry Dillon
Oh OK so you are not trying

Oh OK so you are not trying to adjust on the fly. I was hoping you were not as you see how complicated it can be. Yes please do go and compare what looks like or simular to what you have.

mdw
While installing a new

While installing a new convergence board on PTH5498, everything was going fine and then I had a problem. On the old unit there was a white wire that has a small terminal connection towards the front of the the tv. The problem I have is the a black wire lead came off the board, and now I am not sure where to plug in the the new lead and the black lead? Can anyone help me with this?

The part that the terminal connections go to is the "Module focus pack". It has 1 black lead, 1 white lead (on new part it is red), and 4 red leads.  Below is the configuration of the terminals;

O Black or white? (E)

O - Red (DF)

O  Red  (red CRT)  O  Red  (green CRT)   O Red (blue CRT)

O Black or white ? (IN)

Do not want to hook up or I might fry the new board? Went on techlore to the samsung service manual, but haven't found the wiring diagram on it as of yet? Any help would be appreciated!

james1981
No help here i'm having the

No help here i'm having the same problem... Do you have any pictures of the fuses that you speak of? My green and blue colors are off can i buy the board off of ebay that you are speaking and fix this issue?

Larry Dillon
The best advice I can tell

The best advice I can tell you at this point is to go to tvrepairkits.com and order the complete convergence kit for your model of TV set, no need to search and order multiple parts from different sources and pay multiple shipping fees! The kit comes with original Sanyo STK ICÂ’S , not those cheap aftermarket or china made ICÂ’S full pictorial directions, the thermal paste, resistors, the correct Pico fuses, AND free live on-Line tech assistance in case you run into a problem with the repair. They ship out 2 to 3 day Priority mail, the next day in most cases,
we need the complete/full model number

electrohobby
The convergence on my PTH5492

The convergence on my PTH5492 went bad. When I enter 56 point convergence, red lines can't be moved, blue lines are only visible on the center 1/3 of the screen and fade out outside of this towards the edges, Only the vertical green lines can be moved. After reading this thread I opened up the set and checked the picofuses under the heatsinks. One is blown. I have ordered 2 STK392-040 from www.pacificsemi.com which have arrived. The parts don't have sanyo written on them though the website says they carry only original sanyo parts. Should I replace just the one on which the picofuse is blown or both? Is there anything that needs to be replaced? I am wondering why the blue lines are not spanning the complete screen.

Larry Dillon
they do not have to have

they do not have to have sanyo written on them to be original

bess
Hi, I am looking for the

Hi, I am looking for the resistor values of R366 and R468 of Akai projection tv model number PTH5498.
If you can supply those values to me it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Pages

Connect With Techlore