Sony KP-46WT500 Convergence Repair

457 posts / 0 new
Last post
Larry Dillon
Sounds like ou need to adjust

Sounds like ou need to adjust the RGB drive adjustment or the RGB SCREENS alighnment. check the manual for the screen and the focus adjustment.

pjkhicks
Larry Dillon said: use a

Larry Dillon said: use a small 25 to 45 watt pencil iron NOT a gun

hi larry.  I'm back with another question hopefully with a simple answer.  I did order my 30w soldering iron and sucker with some .030 rosin core wire.  Is this wire ok for this? Now my real question is that i have my D board out and I am checking these resistor and the fuses and i was wandering, each of these ohmed out ok except for ic link ps8005  and all the rest were fine.  Does this mean that it is burned out or no good? Stupid question but i would say that it is no good.  lol.  Its the only one that i can tell on this board. It is also under the green segment and that is where i am having problems with this tv is the green. I am going to go ahead and order the stks and i guess this ic link also. now do you think there is more fuses on another board bad? Thanks for the help.

Larry Dillon
nope but you probably do have

nope but you probably do have a couple of cp's on the G board that are baD

BuddyL
Last chance...

Last chance...
I have a Sony KP 46WT500 sitting in my basement that needs a convergence repair. I will give it a couple of days here and then it is going out in the trash. I do not have the time or experience to try nor do I want to pay $500.00 to fix it. If anyone lives in Connecticut and is interested in it, e-mail me at [email protected] and I can give you directions. I have the original manual, remote, and the MATCHING STAND.

pjkhicks
Larry Dillon said: nope but

Larry Dillon said: nope but you probably do have a couple of cp's on the G board that are baD

Hey larry.  I was tryin to order the ic link and the part number is 1-533-595-31 and a couple of places i checked with have a substitution which is 1-533-595-42.  Is this correct or should i keep lookin for the exact part or can i get any 3.15a 90v link. Wandering also about cp that you mentioned.  What is that exactly?  I've been looking at the manual tryin to figure that out.  Thanks

pjkhicks
Larry Dillon said: nope but

Larry Dillon said: nope but you probably do have a couple of cp's on the G board that are baD

Hey Larry,

I have great news.  After waiting forever for my stk chips and fuses for my kp46wt500 i finally received them and installed them this afternoon and put the tv back together and turned it on, hit flash focus it works perfect.  All the desoldering and resoldering went very well without a problem (knock on wood LOL). I am going to take a little bit and get used to watching this since i've been watching a 60" philips magnavox projection. A big difference in clarity. This sony looks like a brand new tv. I really appreciate the help you have given me and all that are here. I know where to come if i have anymore problems.  That is the biggest issue in trying to solve a problem is troubleshooting and knowing where to start. I am really glad i came along this site and was able to read all the forums and posts knowing what to do and that i could ask a question and get an answer. I also took some pics of a couple things i can try to post on here if you think that would help out for future lookers.  Well gotta go. I will still be reading around and having fun collecting knowledge.  Thanks again, i really appreciate it. Talk to you soon.  THanks.   PeteCool

P.S Do you also work on car stereos or just tv equipment?

pjkhicks
Larry Dillon said: hope you

Larry Dillon said: hope you used new heat sink compound!

I did. lol. What causes these chips to go bad? Is it the heat? I have a couple fans from some computers for the processors, i wonder if i can find a dc power source to hook them into. Or  do you think this is bad idea?

Larry Dillon
That is what I do all the

That is what I do all the time, but I use a 6 volt DC adapter so it runs all the time

pjkhicks
Larry Dillon said: That is

Larry Dillon said: That is what I do all the time, but I use a 6 volt DC adapter so it runs all the time

Yea thats a good idea. I was just going thru my power supplys yesterday trying to find one for the kids game. i have a box of them so thats what i will do. Not sure if i have a 6v dc. I have to look at one of the fans to see what the input is on it.  i know i have a 3.9, 9 and 12v DC adapter. I'll have to check.  Thanks

Larry Dillon
you can try a 9 or 12 volt

you can try a 9 or 12 volt adaptor but I found out they make way too much noise , a 6 volt runs at half speed with very litttle noise

bbbccp
Hi- I have a KP-51WS510- I

Hi- I have a KP-51WS510- I had the convergence go bad- when the repair man came to fix it- he said we now had a problem with the focus block- is this a common problem?

Larry Dillon
I Have had this problem

I Have had this problem before, so YES anything is possible.

bbbccp
Is that part easy to replace?

Is that part easy to replace? Also now our tv power light is flashing 5 times. Do you know any good tv repai guy in Northwest Indiana?

Whistletooth
Sony KP-46WT500 - I replaced

Sony KP-46WT500 - I replaced the AD board which was bad, and now replaced the 2 STK392-560 convergence IC's with the STK392-570's. Still the green is not adjustable in the vertical direction at all. Only the blue and red are functioning in both H and V. I've dropped a chunk of money into this and don't want to give up! From all the info I gathered, these are the 2 big problem areas with this TV.

What else can affect the V adjustment in this TV?

Larry Dillon
Did you make sure that BOTH

Did you make sure that BOTH circuit Protectors(CP's) are good on the G board? you have to check them for continuity with a meter. Sound like one is open or perhaps a bad resistor or maybe a bad IC !

Whistletooth
WOW! So many things that can

WOW! So many things that can go wrong with this beast. I guess I have lots to go through. It pretty much sounds like I need to check every piece on the G board, and maybe even the D board, to figure out what else could be wrong. Since I'm a novice at this, I will first need to figure out what the circuit protectors even look like. I have the manual and schematics, but I will be super, incredibly cautious with the G board since it has some pretty big capacitors on there. I'd hate to get zapped! Now, I'll see if I can figure this out. Thanks for your help.

markemark
I don't know how but I think

I don't know how but I think a wii caused all these convergence problems. let me know if it is common with all involved.

markemark
how many of you just ooked a

how many of you just ooked a wii to your set?

Larry Dillon
the newer video games will

the newer video games will not hurt your set as long as you do not leave a non moving picture on the screen for a long period of time. Or you could get whats called a screen burn in.

Larry Dillon
the WII does NOT cause

the WII does NOT cause convergence problems, every rear projection set manufactured will one day have a convergence problem because of the high heat that is disipated beause this circuit draws a lot of current.

Whistletooth
I just received the

I just received the replacement pico fuses for my KP-46wt500. I ordered 3.5A, because it seems that 3.15A are not available, or hard to find. I figured the .35A would not make a huge difference. But what I received are 5A picos. Can I still use these or is that too much of an increase? Actually, is 3.5A too much? I was just assuming it would be OK to use that size. Thanks for any feedback.

Larry Dillon
NO!! NO!! do not use a 35 amp

NO!! NO!! do not use a 35 amp in place or a .35 that is only 35 hundreths of an amp!!! look up the part number in the service manual and then go here
http://www.partstore.com/GetModel.aspx?MfgName=Sony&BrandName=Sony&Model...

Whistletooth
Larry Dillon said:

Larry Dillon said:
NO!! NO!! do not use a 35 amp in place or a .35 that is only 35 hundreths of an amp!!! look up the part number in the service manual and then go here
http://www.partstore.com/GetModel.aspx?MfgName=Sony&BrandName=Sony&ModelNumbe...

Larry, maybe you misunderstood what I was saying. I'm not using a 35A or.35A fuse. I'm saying that it calls for a 3.15A pico and all I could find are 3A or 3.5A picos. The .35A that I mentioned is the difference between what is called for and what I ordered. So, instead of using a 3.15A pico, I'm going to substitute it with a 3.5A. What I was asking is if the .35A difference in rating would be too big of an increase?

Larry Dillon
no not at all I replace all

no not at all I replace all the ones I do with 3.5 amp.

Whistletooth
Well, I finally had success!

Well, I finally had success! I replaced the 3.15A pico and got the set completely converged. Thank you so much for all the feedback and info. Now, the only problem is that when the TV first broke I changed a bunch of settings all over place. It probably has some incorrect settings somewhere. It keeps giving me an error when trying to flash focus in the last step (2-14.Auto Convergence Offsets). First, I got a sensor error for the top sensor, but got that corrected by some miracle. It is now giving me an error for the left sensor (1) that it has low output (Error code 11).

I've adjusted the 69 HLE like it suggests in the manual to no success.I've also reconverged the colors manually again to see if I made it too wide or off center. Not 100% sure, but I think it's correct.

Is this a "convenience" feature on this TV that I should just forget about and move on or will it actually affect the TV in a negative way if I don't get this corrected? The picture looks great and I can converge it manually if it needs adjustment. Just seems like a lot of extra stress. But then again, it may be a simple fix. Any ideas?

Recordman
I appreciate everyones input

I appreciate everyones input and right now i have the same problem, but i need manual as well. Can someone please send me a copy to my email [email protected] thank you,

Larry Dillon
you should be able to get

you should be able to get that manual as a free download from techlores technicians corner go to the home page then click on the resources tab then onto the technicians corner banner then click on the very small view all downloads and scroll through and find the model you need.

Jasani
As a new member, I would like

As a new member, I would like to say thanks to all for their expert advice on repairing Sony convergence problems. I was finally able to repair my Sony KP51WS510 after stumbling on this site. Two STKs and a 5 amp pico fuse and my TV works perfect. After going through trouble code clearing proceedure twice, I am still getting blinking trouble codes. When turning on tv after having sat for at least an 1/2 hour, I get 6 flashes then the tv sound and picture come on. If I shut the tv off and turn it back on immediately or within a couple of minutes, I get 4 flashes followed by sound and picture. When I bring up the diagnostic page using the remote, it shows no errors logged in (all 0s). Is This normal circuit start up or do I still have an underling issue I need to address? Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

Larry Dillon
those flashing codes are

those flashing codes are normal nothing to worry about.

pk101
Larry,

Larry,

Can I also request the sevice manual my email address is prakash_trivedi at yahoo.com

Thank you,
pk.

Pages

Connect With Techlore