Sony KP-65WS510 No Picture Power ON, Blink 8 Times

106 posts / 0 new
Last post
Uncle Sam
Sony KP-65WS510 No Picture Power ON, Blink 8 Times

I watched Sony KP-65WS510, projection TV, 65 in. It powered off automatically. Even turned power on again, there was no picture / video; but the LED indicator was blinking for 8 times.

Checked online, Sony 8 time blinking means: Eight blinks - Problem with the audio (AUDIO), unit goes to standby and blinks the self-diagnosis code. Check IC406 audio amp, PS401, and 402.

Called a on-site repair check, says need a repair to HV power supply & regulator circuit, charging $400 for lab and part. It sounds not related to the 8 blinkings diagnosis. Please advise me what is correct, and how I can fix the problem myself.

Larry Dillon
That Sony you have is an RA-6

That Sony you have is an RA-6 chassis. I am in the middle of updating the Sony blinking light codes, as this blinking code you have on your model of Sony means that T8005 is defective most likely and that transformer is located on the D board.  You can get a rebuilt D board from ptscorp.com.  Good Luck, and if you have had no TV repair experience, play it safe and get a trained tech to repair this for you. 

Uncle Sam
Hello Larry, can you email a

Hello Larry, can you email a service a manual so I will allocate the D board. Please email it to [email protected]. Thanks!!!

Larry Dillon
I am sorry i do not have the

I am sorry i do not have the service manual for this model of Sony TV set. But the WS500 Is the same chassis, so i will send that to you. but it is always better to get the proper model number.  You can download the correct manual HERE

Uncle Sam
Hello Larry, I tried to

Hello Larry, I tried to download a service manual,  but charge a high fee ( I already pay $100 for check fee, plus out of job ).  Please email me the one you memtioned in your reply (WS500 with the same chassis). Thank you! Please email it to [email protected]. Thanks!!!

Larry Dillon
I sent you that manual, but I

I sent you that manual, but I still stress to you, the board may be slightly differant?  I am not really sure.

Uncle Sam
Larry Dillon said: I sent you

Larry Dillon said: I sent you that manual, but I still stress to you, the board may be slightly differant?  I am not really sure.

Larry, I am for sure I can take of it if I have that manual. I've still not got it. Please let me know where you sent it to. Thank you!

Larry Dillon
i sent the service manual to

i sent the service manual to the above address that you left. I sent it again.

SteveMurd
Larry,

Larry,

I have a ws500 with the same 8 blinking light problem.

Is it possible to send me a service manual download to [email protected].

Thank you

Larry Dillon
I reckon I could if you know

I reckon I could if you know how to use one?  Just be sure not to get too deep into this set as where you get in over your head and hurt yourself.  Good Luck, and be sure and let us know what you find wrong and if you get this set repaired.

stanley reid
i just purchased a klv

i just purchased a klv 40u100m lcd hdtv i cant get a picture or sound i must be doing something wrong

Larry Dillon
stanley reid, If this unit is

stanley reid, If this unit is brand new, take it back and exchange it, as this is not rocket science my friend, and is not hard to hook up.  If you looked at the users guide and followed the simple instalation,  there must be something wrong with this TV set.  Good Luck and let us know how you did with this problem.

Uncle Sam
Hi, Larry, Thank you very

Hi, Larry, Thank you very much for your instruction. I successfully took the HV Transformer (T8005) out from the D board.      Is there any way we can test the unit along by using a meter? There are 12 pins and two red cables: MV and HV. Please advise. Thank you!

Larry Dillon
No I'm afraid you will need

No I'm afraid you will need to replace it, and check the horizontal output transistor as well as the connections around the flyback and also around the horizontal driver transformer

RoniT
I am having the same issue

I am having the same issue with a kp65ws500.  Any help would be great.  Thank you and I am also looking for a service manual. 

Larry Dillon
You can get a free download

You can get a free download of the service manual from HERE. The problem with the set that has an 8 blinking code is something on the D board. The D board will need to be replaced or repaired. If you have no solid state repair experience, go to ptscorp.com, get the telephone number and call them to see how much they will charge to overhaul the D board. Good Luck.

RoniT
I have repaired many

I have repaired many electronic items before.  I just was wondering what you think and maybe you can tell me where on the board you would start testing.  Thank you

RoniT
Also Larry which manual is

Also Larry which manual is the one I need I do not see my model in the list.  KP65WS500.  Thank you Larry for all of your help your a great asset to this board.

Larry Dillon
I seem to have lost that

I seem to have lost that manual. I am trying to find it though. I will try and get a copy from someone I sent it to in the past.

Larry Dillon
RoniT, start in the flyback

RoniT, start in the flyback or horizontal deflection circuit.

RoniT
Larry I watched the crt's as

Larry I watched the crt's as the tv was getting ready to shut off on its on.  The crts flashed a few times and the red crt flashed just before the tv shut off.  Does this tell you anything.  Does the manual give test points and values for these points? 

bwilbert
I just repaired a TV with 8

I just repaired a TV with 8 blinks. It was a RA6 chassis. The high voltage neon was coming on at startup and going off. Measure the resistance of the high voltage distribution block. Mine read 11K ohms and was bad. The new one read infinity and when swapped TV worked fine. Cost was a 100 bucks.

RoniT
Is the high voltage

Is the high voltage distribution block the thing that is above the D board that the flyback transformer high voltage wire goes to?  What points did you test?

RoniT
How do you get the High

How do you get the High voltage wires out of the distribution block and flyback transformer?  I guessing that the distribution block is just that it splits the high voltage up so it can be sent to all three crts.  So when you say you measured 11K ohms what can cause resistance in this block?  Is there any way to measure high voltage without an expensive high voltage meter.  Also the error code states that when the High voltage goes above 33k volts.  How can the voltage go up if it meets resistance in the distribution block, Or does the error code come up it the voltage falls outside of a set parameter?  Please let me know what you think.

RoniT
Also the Neon lamp is not

Also the Neon lamp is not lite while the tv is running should it be?  I also watched as I turned the set on and I did not see any light either.  Just wondering what you think?

bwilbert
Yes that block above the d

Yes that block above the d board is the high voltage block. Push the wires in and twist, they will pop out and measure the resistance from the plug to gnd. The set detects the resistance and shuts down to give the 8 blink error code. There should not be any resistance to gnd, when good. I do not measure the high voltage, I look for the high voltage neon lamp to light, output of flyback.

bwilbert
The light will only light for

The light will only light for a flash, in the beginning startup cycle. Then the set sees the resistance and shuts down. If you never get a light, I would look on the flyback side of the high voltage. Check for your 135 and 210. Try to unplug the HV reg plug CN8016 from the D board, when I did this the fault changed to 5 blinks.

RoniT
When you say "check for your

When you say "check for your 135 and 210 are you talking about voltage?  Where?  Is there any way to check the flyback transformer?  Also this tv will run for about 10-15 mins then shut off.  If you start it right back up it will run for about 2-3 mins and shut off.  Also the red crt flashes when it gets ready to shut down.  Can you run this tv without the high voltage wire hooked up that goes to the red crt?  I was wondering if the crt is causing the problem.

bwilbert
First I would unplug the high

First I would unplug the high votage leads from the distro block and measure the resistance. plain and simple.

RoniT
I plugged the red high

I plugged the red high voltage lead into the capped port on the end of the distro block and the tv has been running for over an hour now.  I wonder if the old red port has resistance.  I am going to let the tv run for a while longer then check resistance of all distro ports.  Maybe there is a crack in that port.  No idea at this point.  Maybe I should just replace the distro block.  Thanks for all or your help I will keep you updated.

RoniT
I just tapped on the high

I just tapped on the high voltage distro block with a screw driver handle and the tv quit. I am going to replace the distro block. Anyone have any good places to get parts. Once again this is a great site and I would not have been able to fix the tv without you all.

Pages

Connect With Techlore