Panasonic TV PT-47WX49E

87 posts / 0 new
Last post
Larry Dillon
doble check that there are no

doble check that there are no misplaced or forgotten plugs and or connecters, and triple check to make sure that there are no shorts on the ic's or solder splashes you replaced and that they were the same numbers and also check all the fuses for continuity as there should be a label inside the set where and the fuse numbers are on one of the sides if this was a kit and you still have a problem please go to tvrepairkits.com/helpdesk and start a repair/trouble ticket please
Larry

tgault
I have similar problems with

I have similar problems with my TV. Its a 55" Panasonic rear projection model 9P5511 C101. When I turn the tv on the picture comes up, out of focus, for about an average of 20 seconds then the picture shuts off. The green power light is on still and there is a high pitched noise. Any help with a cheap fix would be great. My buddy knows how to soder if it needs to be. I can be contacted at [email protected]

Larry Dillon
is the green light flashing

is the green light flashing three times?? Larry Dillon(AKA)
techman

Larry Dillon
unplug the set and plug it

unplug the set and plug it back in does the light flash now?????
Larry D.

tgault
No Larry, the light is steady

No Larry, the light is steady green. Even if I unplug it and plug it in again its steady green when turned on.

Larry Dillon
Larry it sounds like you

Larry it sounds like you missed one of the fuses in the power supply chech them all for full continuity please let us know??are you sure you do not have any solder shorts on any of the many pins /connections you had to unsolder and resolder??there are two fuses in thevmain power supply that go bad maybe even small resistors inline with the fuses Look for small burn marks or scortching on the small resistors, you cannot look at the small glass fuses you will need to test the continuity with a meter the meter should have a tone type continuity tester on it if you do not see it please tell me what brand and model number of tester do you have??also lrt us know if it is a neddle type meter you have also or is it an electronic type of meter if you do not have one you will need to borrow one and ask its owner how to check continuity THANKS!!
Larry D.

DGINSD
Hi all, I have a PT-47WX51E

Hi all, I have a PT-47WX51E that I just replaced the convergence IC's on. Everything works great but the set could use a major tune up, and my service manual is hardly readable. I found the first simplified manual in the resources section but when I tried to download the "etc." download for the PT-47WX49E (same chassis) it wouldn't complete the download. If anyone could send me or provide a woking link to the extended service manual with all the convergence and set up details I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Lucas31
Hello Larry,

Hello Larry,

Sounds like you are quite the helpful guy.

My roommate has a Panasonic PT-47WX49E television that is experiencing the same problem you have e-mailed others about.

The TV turns on just fine for a few minutes, then shuts itself off. The LED does not blink at all after doing so, it just powers off.

If you can provide any help for us, that would be really helpful! Not too excited about the idea of buying a new tv....

my e-mail address is [email protected]

Thank you so much for any help you can provide!

DGINSD
I got my Panasonic PT47WX49E

I got my Panasonic PT47WX49E up running, tuned up and dialed in nicely with a few minor exceptions that have some questions about.

First is the color decoder options in the service menu R-Y_A which is listed as the yellow tint adjust when changed to 00 balances out the red in the yellow and eliminates the orange cast that that the factory setting has so that one was rather easy to figure out. Where I'm having trouble is with the B-Y_G decoder adjustment, which is listed as the magenta tint adjustment. It’s kind of unclear to me where to best set this to get accurate color decoding. If all but the blue CRTs are turned off with a color bar pattern and then the B-Y_G is  adjusted, it appears that it changes the level of blue in both magenta and blue, where as the R-Y_A adjusts the balance between red and yellow making it very easy to set properly with only the red CRT running. Can anyone tell me what the proper setting for B-Y_G is to get accurate color decoding? 

I've found instructions on how to set the beam astigmatism, 2 and 4 pole magnets, the problem is this TV seems to be somewhat of a oddity, making those instructions near impossible to follow. From the CRT drive board going up the CRT necks the first rings that are supposed to be the 2 pole magnets do absolutely nothing, the service manual calls these the "alignment magnets". The rings that are supposed to be the 4 poles seem to be right and adjust the beam roundness. This set also has a third set which should be 6 pole these seem to move the dot pattern all over, left right up down, the service manual calls these "6-pole magnet (Dummy ring)". From what the SM says it almost seems like during assembly they installed the SVM assembly up side down, on all 3 CRT's, or installed the tabbed magnet rings in the wrong order on the assembly. Is this possible? The service manual for this set is only a partial manual, the rest of the manual Panasonic has you refer to a manual from an older set, I guess because what wasn't included in the manual for this set is the same as the older set they have you refer to.

Another issue I have is the convergence has a small amount of drift, not a lot just enough to need adjustment for perfect convergence. I've noticed that if I turn off the digital convergence to adjust the H-DEF and V-DEF settings it looks as if the TV was never set up properly i.e. corner, pincushion, trapezoid correction was never done, rather whoever did the initial set up went straight to digital convergence. Here’s my question is this causing undue stress on the newly replaced IC's, should I do a complete set up from scratch? This could be quit time consuming and a big project so if it’s not going to hurt the IC's, and it won't correct the convergence drift, I'd prefer to not get into it.

I've read on another site that this TV set has a designer menu; however the site doesn't tell you how to access it. There is suppose to be some edge enhancement settings that work in conjunction with scan velocity modulator that should be turned off when the SVM coil is disconnected. How can you access this menu and a list of parameters would be fantastic, hopefully you can unlock all the 480p & 1080i service menu controls.

Does this set have any controls that can correct gamma? This set seems to come out of black very slow, if I make video black output no light you can't see the pluge bars above video black in that test pattern. Maybe something in the designer menu that’s not in the regular service menu?

Lastly the screen variable resistors, the service manual states to adjust them by viewing the tubes directly with an all black pattern and adjust for minimum noise level in the green raster and match the others to it. This is the strangest method I've ever seen  in a manual to adjust the screen VR's especially since the service menu contains no green cuts and drives so the balance between all the CRT's has a huge effect on the grey scale. Mitsubishi has you measure the cathode voltage at a test point, which seems like the most accurate way to me. Does anyone have a more accurate way to adjust these?

rwlinder44
I have a PT-56WXF95A that has

I have a PT-56WXF95A that has symptoms that many others have posted. I turn it on and after 2-3 seconds it shuts off with a "click" sound in the back. No flash or color on the screen at all. Am I looking at a convergence repair kit?

BobbyZ
My magic 8 ball says - very

My magic 8 ball says - very likely - rwlinder44. Follow the instructions carefully and properly desolder the chips and be very careful soldering the new ones in. Also, keep in mind the high voltage in these machines and be safe.

rwlinder44
I just ordered my convergence

I just ordered my convergence repair kit....I will update the forum once I install it and test.

easyab
Angelzplay said: I just

Angelzplay said: I just replaced the convergence IC's with STK392-180's. The picture is perfect now but the TV powers off after a few minutes and it won't come back on unless unplugged. Then it does the same again. Can someone help? My guess is that I need to replace a fuse or resistor but I have no idea how to find which ones.

If the TV worked normally before the visible convergence failure and replacing with STK392-180 ICs produces a normal picture for a short period of time, then shuts-down, don't use 180 substitute ICs.  It is not the same as replacing a 60 watt light bulb with a 100W light bulb.

The TV shuts down because the 180 ICs produce higher "idle" current.  The power supply safety protection circuit detects the excessive current and shuts down the TV.  Unplug reset is required after safety circuit is triggered. Many times the 180 or 150 substitute ICs will cause the low ohm resistors to burn up. If you still have a "normal" picture while it runs, all resistors and fuses are ok.

Proof is to remove the 2 X 180 ICs from the circuit and run the TV.  All will be fine except for a wildly distorted image with misconvergence.  TV will run without shutting down and on-off will work normally.

Panasonic engineers are very clever, they have designed and built 10's of million TVs. Panasonic does not tell you to substitute 110 ICs with 150 or 180 ICs, only an Internet IC salesman who has never fixed Panasonic TVs will tell you this. If the salesman has fixed Panasonic TVs, he will know that this does not work.

Replace the STK392-110 ICs with 110 or 120 ICs only. (120 specs are very close to 110).  Hitachi factory service will recommend a substitute for STK392-110 IC, but only if all low ohm resistors are changed to different values.  The circuit must be re-designed to handle the extra current. Occasionally the 180 or 150 ICs will work and produce pre-mature failure of the low-ohm resistors or intermittant power supply safety circuit shut-down

The fad a few years ago was to install extra fans for cooling to compensate for poor quality or incomplete repairs and poor quality replacement ICs causing multiple failures. Now the fad is to substitute the wrong ICs for STK392-110s.

Wrong spec spark plugs may physically fit and appear to work in a car engine but valves can be damaged and performance will suffer. Wrong Convergence ICs may appear to work in your TV but problems (pre-mature failures) occur in many instances because the convergence circuit is designed for specs of the original part.

Our service department does many successful convergence repairs across Canada on different makes of TV on a daily basis. We always try to use the original parts that the circuit was designed for and do not heed the advice of the Internet salesmen regarding substitution of STK ICs. 560 ICs are no longer available so 570 are used in Sony, 110 ICs are not widely available and 120 will work because specs are very similar.  Substituting 150 or 180 ICs for 110 ICs causes problems unless the circuit is re-designed and different value low ohm resistors are used (as specified by Hitachi).

Many ICs sold on the Internet are defective and will not work or have a very short life-span. The ones that have bright, clear, printing and flimsy leads should only be used for target practice.

Beware.

easyab

brand
Larry Dillon said: Typical

Larry Dillon said: Typical convergence problem.  Since you left no model number, all I can recommend is you open the set and find the two large black rectangle IC's, about 2" by 3",  mounted up against a large metal plate, and they start with the letters STK and have several numbers following them.  These are the convergence correction IC's and are soldered into the printed circuit boards.  If you have some experience soldering and unsoldering on printed circuit boards, you should have no problem changing these parts.  If you do not have any experience, I would have to guess, since I do not have a model number, this will run you between 300 to 400 bucks to have a pro repair it for you.  If you think you can handle this repair, feel free to ask any other questions about this repair.  And please include a model number.  Good Luck.

i changed my ic's on my panasonic pt-47wx49e, because i had the same problem. i am new to soldering and fixing electronics, but i wasnt about to spend 300 on getting my tv fixed for something that seemed easy enough to do on my own. so i changed the chips and now my tv only turns on till the picture comes up then shuts right back down, i have to unplug and replug the tv in for it even to try to turn on again. any ideas of what i might have messed up?

MARY21
HELLO LARRY I HAVE AN

HELLO LARRY I HAVE AN PANASONIC MODEL. PT-53WX54J
WHEN I TURN ON MY TV THERE IS NO PICTURE AND THE LIGHT BLINKS 3 TIMES THEN SHUTS OFF! WHATS WRONG AND IS IT EASY FOR ME TO FIX THANK YOU.

Matt Stevens
I am stuck in the Service

I am stuck in the Service Menu on my Panasonic 47WX49. Supposedly you hit power and action on the remote at the same time for 2-3 seconds and presto, you are out. But this doesn't work .I can hold it down for twenty seconds and nothing happens. Unplugging for hours doesn't work. i am stuck, it seems.

Can anyone help?

easyab
47WX49 - Stuck in Service

47WX49 - Stuck in Service Mode

Hi Matt,

Press Volume - and OK on the TV (not the remote) will exit service mode.

easyab

Matt Stevens
Ah! It worked. Thanks. :-)

Ah! It worked. Thanks. :-) My set is really on its last legs. it's just shot. End of an era.

Varick
I have the pan pt47wx49e it

I have the pan pt47wx49e it is a nice tv but now the night shots or so dark you can hardly see anything.What could be my problem?

easyab
Hi,

Hi,

If picture is too dark, try adjusting customer brightness and contrast while in Standard mode. Turn contrast or picture to around 60% and brightness to 80%.  If picture is normal, but too dark, screen adjust may fix your problem.

This involves removing the front grille of the TV and opening an Access door".  Controls are behind the door.  One screen control for each color. R, G, B. Also one control for focusing each color.  Usually labeled with raised letters on black plastic (focus or screen).

Screen controls can be adjusted and balanced to produce normal brightness and contrast for a B/W picture. Adjust with color turned off, color temp in normal, for B/W picture. Increase green a small amount, then red and blue. 

If colors can not be balanced with brightness increased, there is a fault present, ranging from defective CRTs to drive or video or color processing faults.  Beyond the scope of DIY.

easyab

George S
I've followed the

I've followed the instructions to correct convergence problems. Having solved that, I'm now confused by the final instruction, to exit SERVICEMODE. Holding down the power on remote and the action key (for at least 2 seconds, up to maybe 10 seconds) doesn't do it, just switches between modes, or the TV's Setup Menu. Turning off power doesn't do it.

Please help, because at the present time, my Panasonic Cinemavision 47WX49E has a "permanent" "CHK12EC7 48444844 09" in red and green letters (perfectly converged) at the top left of my screen.

Oh, yes ... I DO NOT have an "OK" button on my TV panel, and trying the "ACTION" button and volume-down doesn't work either.

Thanks in advance!

evil
Press volume down and OK on

Press volume down and OK on the panel of the tv as easyab stated.

George S
evil said: Press volume down

evil said: Press volume down and OK on the panel of the tv as easyab stated.

I just updated my post... I do not have an "OK" button...  Any other ideas?

Tnanks.

George S
evil said: What model and

evil said: What model and chassis # do you have?

I'm sorry -- I forgot that info.  The model is PT-47WX49E, Chassis # DP820.

Thanks again!

evil
The manual didnt have

The manual didnt have anything useful in it,from everything ive read about the chassis pushing and holding the action and power button on the TV panel for 2 seconds should clear it.

George S
Once I got the part about the

Once I got the part about the panel right, it all worked out.  Funny I thought I  tried that, but maybe I flubbed the part about simultaneous... 

Anyway, It's all good now so thanks again!

evil said: The manual didnt have anything useful in it,from everything ive read about the chassis pushing and holding the action and power button on the TV panel for 2 seconds should clear it.

Pages

Connect With Techlore