Panasonic TV PT-47WX49E

87 posts / 0 new
Last post
jayme1
I have the exact issue with

I have the exact issue with my Panasonic switching off. Would you please send me the information too. My email is [email protected]. Thanks.

jayme1
I have the exact issue with

I have the exact issue with my Panasonic switching off. Would you please send me the information too. My email is [email protected]. Thanks.

BobbyZ
PT 47WX49E powered off - won

PT 47WX49E powered off - won't turn back on. started as switching off problem. If convergence board, please help with diy fix. I am without TV and can't afford service call let alone couple hundred to fix. I am a former Motorola Service Tech with soldering experience on circuit boards. Thank you to all the pros that assist with DIY'ers. oceanstereo(at)yahoo.com
Bobby

markb
I am in the same boat as

I am in the same boat as Bobby above. Our PT-47WX49E has worked flawlessly for the past 7 years. Last night we turned it off without any trouble around 10 p.m. This morning it won't turn on. I can hear the

gscott963
I commented on July 16, 09

I commented on July 16, 09 about my PT-47WX49E turning on, picture flashes then shuts off. Have to unplug then plug back in and it does same thing. You asked for my e-mail to send me a fix. I don't know if it went to junk or what happened but I did not get. Could you please resend? Thank you. My e-mail is [email protected]

Larry Dillon
must have??? ok resent some

must have??? ok resent some repair info for YOU!!!!!
LARRY
DILLON

gscott963
Your reply seems sarcastic,

Your reply seems sarcastic, and I still have not received anything. Sorry if I offended YOU!!!!!

Kevin mcdonald
Larry, i too am having that

Larry, i too am having that issue, i replaced the chips, and now its powers on for a few seconds and then shuts off, and to turn it back on i have to unplug it. can you send me some info: [email protected]

Kevin mcdonald
Larry Dillon said: sounds

Larry Dillon said: sounds like bad convergence board, leave an e-mail and I will send you information to save you several hundred bucks!!! to repair it yourself! Larry

[email protected], if you could send me that info, im in the same boat, i just replaced the chips and now its doing the power off thing discussed here

Larry Dillon
did you replace the

did you replace the convergence ic's what do all the solder connection look?? are thre any solder bridges across any of the pins??

Larry Dillon
make sure all of the

make sure all of the resistors are good also.

mashburn
I have replaced the IC's,

I have replaced the IC's, when I turn on the power I get the white noise sound but no picture. What is the likly problem

Anna12
Hi, I have an old Panasonic

Hi, I have an old Panasonic 1988 PTK-4578s
I picked it up for free, for the lenses in it to use on a solar project,, but thought before I tear it apart that I should check it out.
The woman I got it from said it was working just great and one day stopped.
The circuit board the power cord goes to, you can see two parts that look burnt along with the fuse is burnt.

Looks like the power goes directly to the fuse. Just above the fuse is what looks like a small transformer about 1” square. Then two capacitors and another transformer the same as the first, and two more capacitors just above that. So two sets of the same parts. Sorry I don’t have a picture.
But capacitor between the two transformers looks burnt and the top transformer looks like it might be burnt or smoke from the burnt capacitor.
The copper wire on the transformer looks good but the white insulating material the wire is wound around is what looks smoked. It will wipe off clean. So I am thinking it could be from the capacitor.

What are your thoughts?
Long ago I took a electronics class and have soldered so would be comfortable trying to change the parts.

Thanks Anna .

Larry Dillon
Anna the way you describe the

Anna the way you describe the set, it sounds like the set got a wicked power surge??? hard to tell except when you plug it in the front light blinks how many times?
Larry.

Anna12
Thanks Larry for your reply

Thanks Larry for your reply and help..

I have looked online for information on a Panasonic PTK-4578s
And havenÂ’t come up with anything except possible manuals that can be bought and remotes..
I have the remote!! It has been years since I fooled around with electronics other then computers., and I have forgotten a great deal, Ill I knew before was some of the basic components and how to make some simple circuit

But the Main power fuse is blown. So when you plug it in, nothing happens, no lights, nothing.
I am assuming this board can be called the main power board. I see nothing that looks like any kind of tuning components. This board is in the bottom section sat to the right side, on its side, loosen 2 screws and it slides out. There appears to be about 6 sets of wiring harnesses plugged into it. All the wires look like 16 to 18 gauge and smaller. Thy all run around to the front and presumably connect to a board I can barely see under the box that holds the CRTÂ’s and lenses. I didnÂ’t want to take any of this loose because if by chance the power board could easily be fixed, I wont have everything out of alignment..
-
So back to the power board. Visual inspection shows a the power fuse blown. Just above that is what I think is a transformer but doesnÂ’t look like one I have seen before, in a way maybe an inductor?
It loks like a white spool sat in a black plastic square frame about 1” square. The spool has 5 dividers on it and 2 sets two loosely wound sets of copper wire on each end. The divider in th middle separates each set.
-
Just above that part is defiantly 2 capacitors. A maybe ½ flat round one and a larger rectangle one just above it. The small wound one is defiantly the burnt part. It is black and almost split on the top edge. It would be imposable to get a number off of it.
-
Just above that is another set of the same parts. The only difference is that the flat round capacitor appears to be slightly larger in diameter.

I cleaned all the parts and the only visually burnt parts are the fuse and the 1 capacitor. The board itself looks great on both sides with no signs of any heat damage.

The only thing I know about the tv is that it was working one day and not the next. When I picked it up, I dealt with the womanÂ’s daughter. She did not go into detail but said they had some damage in the house but that the tv was not affected by it. They were changing carpet, so perhaps a flood, I donÂ’t know.
I have all the tools needed to soldier and am confidant changing basic parts.

So you think there is a chance it could just be the capacitor and fuse?
I thought of maybe pulling out the board and trying to find a repair shop and ask them about it,, but there are none around here that work on old equipment.. I wouldnÂ’t mind spending a very very few dollars on it if there is a chance it might work and my son would learn a little
Thanks Anna

Larry Dillon
could you please see what

could you please see what part designation number is listed on the board right under the burnt part that is split??
Larry

Anna12
Ok on the circuit board just

Ok on the circuit board just to the right is C1978
No number right under it. It is black itself (not just burnt but made black) though and the numbers are still on it but I cant read them without taking it out. It does look like a 10k on it maybe..
-
The fuse is F1901

Larry Dillon
OK best way to trouble shoot

OK best way to trouble shoot this set is to replace the fuse then Do NOT PLUG IN THE SET YET!! take an multimeter and measure the resistance across the two blades on the ac plug , If it measures a direct short than this part is a varistor. a built in surge protector. this is installed in these sets to protect it from major electrical surges you could simply take out this cap looking part then measure the two prongs again at the end of the ac cord . if it does not measure a direct short plug it in but do not use the set for too long without replacing it.that part is there for a safety device to help protect the set from major power surges.
Larry.

Anna12
Thank you very much Larry.. I

Thank you very much Larry.. I followed your instructions and the set comes on now. The power light came on when I turned the set on and it did not blink. I have to move it to a different location before I can tell much more about it because I can only get about 4Â’ back from the screen.

O have had it on only about 15 minutes so far. My son hooked up his play station and the video input worked. The blue was way off and cast a shadow on lettering. I used the convergence controls and think that is ok now. The convergence test switch brought up a crosshair on the screen. I adjusted the colors till them all came together and formed a white cross and then tried the game again. So far it seems to be doing well.
-
Are there other things I need to do at this point besides replace the varistor?
The picture is not overly bright at this point but perhaps that is because I can not back up from it well, but if I remember older ones I have seen, they were not real bright to start with.
-
I have read that cleaning the lenses, mirror and screen can help with that??
What is best to clean the front screen with?
There is very little dust inside the unit itself and you cannot see dust on the lenses or mirror. What is in there is very fine particles, but overall it looks pretty clean.
-
Again thank you very much for your expert advice, time, and help.
-
-
One more question, Is it way past itÂ’s average life span? I have to decide what to do with it now and find another fresnel lense!!!

jpmac88
I have a Panasonic PT47WX49E.

I have a Panasonic PT47WX49E. Color convergence problems, so I replaced both convergence correction parts (STK392-110). Like many others in this forum, the tv now comes on briefly (no picture) then clicks off. Must unplug to try again. Larry has indicated he would email a fix to those with this problem. Larry, if you are still tuned in, please help me out! [email protected]

If any other visitors to this forum received that fix via email from Larry, would you please share it with me? Thanks!

And please hurry -- my wife is trying to get me to spend 2K to buy a new LED LCD -- which is very tempting, but I need to fix this tv regardless!

Larry Dillon
make sure you replace the ic

make sure you replace the ic's with only original Sanyo or Sony replacements IC'sand you really should get the kit as you get only the original ic's fuses, grease for the backs of the new ic's as well as many of the original flameproof resistors as well as the clear-easy to follow directions , The best advice I can tell you at this point is to go to TV repair kits.com and order the complete convergence kit for your model of TV set, click on here please: http://www.tvrepairkits.com/xcart/home.php?partner=larry
no need to search and order multiple parts from different sources and pay multiple shipping fees! The kit comes with original Sanyo STK ICÂ’S , not those cheap aftermarket or china made ICÂ’S full pictorial directions, the thermal paste, resistors, the correct Pico fuses, AND free live on-Line tech assistance in case you run into a problem with the repair. They ship out 2 to 3 day Priority mail, the next day in most cases,

jpmac88
Thank you very much, Larry

Thank you very much, Larry for the quick reply. I'll try it!

John

jpmac88
Bada boom, bada bing! It

Bada boom, bada bing! It worked! I bought the kit with original parts. I didn't need the resistors, but did install the new STK392-110 parts. I think I had bridged a couple pins with solder in my first fix, not sure. Had to reset convergence. Then I turned it off to hook up components and close up the back. When I turned it on again, I had to reset convergence again! But no problem after I turned it off/on the next time. I hope it remains fixed!

I just saved about $400 for the repair, but more importantly, I saved $2400 by not buying the new Samsung LED LCD 55" 240 Hz beautiful tv! Yeah, we have been studying and shopping as I waited to get the parts. If the fix did not work, then I'd be working overtime to pay for a bigger fix!

Thanks for your help Larry. Your "partner" site was very helpful with the photos and instructions tailored to my model. Good job.

jpmac out

Larry Dillon
great if you follow the

great if you follow the instructions to the letter the kit will work 80 to 90% of the time!!!!! the biggest problem is solder shorts on the ic's or solder splashes on the board!
Larry Dillon

Larry Dillon
If you have any suggestions

If you have any suggestions to make the fix easier or better please share!!
Larry D.

BobbyZ
BobbyZ said:

BobbyZ said:

PT 47WX49E powered off - won't turn back on. started as switching off problem. If convergence board, please help with diy fix. I am without TV and can't afford service call let alone couple hundred to fix. I am a former Motorola Service Tech with soldering experience on circuit boards. Thank you to all the pros that assist with DIY'ers. oceanstereo(at)yahoo.com
Bobby

Thanks to Larry and another forum member, this repair has finally been completed. I ordered the kit from Larry's recommended site and replaced the 2 convergence chips and 1 resistor and the set came on fine - barely any convergence adjustment needed.

Courtesy - if you post a question, post the fix.

Larry Dillon
Auto diagnosis feature

Auto diagnosis feature
This receiver incorporates a new auto-diagnosis
feature. With this new feature will be easier for the
technicial to detect the failures. There is a LED located
by the keyboard on the front panel, this LED will start
flashing when a failure is detected by the circuits
located in specific areas, depending on how many
times the LED is flashing, this will tell you what circuit
should be checked.
Make a count of flashing and see Table 3.
Please use this feature effectively especially for
intermittent problems.
Table 3: SOS of front LED
After the count:
Proceed to check that area, verify what board is the
problem located, this way the area to check will be
reduced until the failure is found.
NUMBER OF
FLASHES
POSSIBLE CIRCUIT
1 +140
2 LOW DC
3 CONVEREGENCE
4 HHS
5 IC4011
6 IC4018

Larry Dillon
look at the post above please

look at the post above please!!
Larry D.

Larry54
Hey could you help me with a

Hey could you help me with a problem. I replace the convergence chips on my panasonic pt 47 43G Rear projection tv. Before I worked on it picture with convergence problem after i fixed it No picture sound or anything except the blinking red light. What did I do wrong?

Larry

Larry54
Ok here is my problem I

Ok here is my problem I ordered and replace convergence chips on my PT 47 43G panasonic rear tv after reassembly i have no picture or sound. What did I do wrong?

Larry

Pages

Connect With Techlore