Panasonic TV PT-47WX49E

87 posts / 0 new
Last post
Barbara Johnson
Panasonic TV PT-47WX49E

My 7 year old panasonic hdtv rear projection tv started showing a double image  2 days ago. The red color is also a little too pronounced. I recently had high  def service added to my satalite service. The double images started all of a sudden. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Allegro
   "My 7 year old panasonic

"My 7 year old panasonic hdtv rear projection tv started showing a double image 2 days ago. The red color is also a little too pronounced. I recently had high def service added to my satalite service. The double images started all of a sudden. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks..."

Hello, 

I got the same proble today, the same TV, probably around 5 years old.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Is it serious and expensive thing to repair?

Any help will be apreciated!!

thanks in advance!!

Kris 

Larry Dillon
Typical convergence problem. 

Typical convergence problem.  Since you left no model number, all I can recommend is you open the set and find the two large black rectangle IC's, about 2" by 3",  mounted up against a large metal plate, and they start with the letters STK and have several numbers following them.  These are the convergence correction IC's and are soldered into the printed circuit boards.  If you have some experience soldering and unsoldering on printed circuit boards, you should have no problem changing these parts.  If you do not have any experience, I would have to guess, since I do not have a model number, this will run you between 300 to 400 bucks to have a pro repair it for you.  If you think you can handle this repair, feel free to ask any other questions about this repair.  And please include a model number.  Good Luck.

Allegro
Thank you very much Larry.

Thank you very much Larry.

The price you told me is in the case when I will call technician?

I think I would be able to replace these parts, the only think I dont know where to buy them? and how expensive htey are.

I have seen on eBay a lot of similar TV as mine, they arent worth more then $250...

I just want to find out if this repairing does make sense..

maybe it's better to spend around $400 and buy much newer TV..??

Could you tell me where to find the parts, please?

thank you 

Larry Dillon
Find the part numbers on the

Find the part numbers on the parts. Like I said they will start with STK on them, then most likely a 392, followed by three more numbers.  Then go to mcmelectronics.com, and enter then number on the IC.  These IC's are about 15 to 20 bucks for the original Sanyo IC.  I know you can go on-line and buy the IC's for about half of that, but the only problem is, their not original Sanyo IC's. they are whats called aftermarket IC's.  Yes they will work, but they do not have the same specs the originals do, and they can blow out very easy.

Allegro
Thank you very much Larry,

Thank you very much Larry,

I decided to try (nothing to lose - I found on eBay TVs like this costs no more then $250 so that would be stupid call technician and pay even more), I ordered online parts, I bought iron solder and in around 2 hours my tv worked properly again. Now is about 2 weeks after this and still works, so I hope it will be working for long time... ;)

thanks for advise

(I spent about $35 only) 

babygirl86
kris77pl said: Thank you very

kris77pl said: Thank you very much Larry,  I decided to try (nothing to lose - I found on eBay TVs like this costs no more then $250 so that would be stupid call technician and pay even more), I ordered online parts, I bought iron solder and in around 2 hours my tv worked properly again. Now is about 2 weeks after this and still works, so I hope it will be working for long time... ;)  thanks for advise (I spent about $35 only) 

Larry (or anyone in the know),

I have a similar problem with my 2004 Panasonic PT-53WX54J.  The only difference is that mine has blue sort of 1/8 circle like rising sun shape on the bottom part of my TV.  Is this also a circut convergence IC problem?  If so is this easily repairable if I am comfortable with a soldering iron?  What parts would I look for and need to order?  Thanks for your help.

Number47
I think I may have a similar

I think I may have a similar problem with my PT-47WX49E, the picture looks warped in the green and the red and blue are way out of aliment as well. I tried to power down completely (unplug) several times, but nothing changed. Mine also happened all of a sudden, one night it was fine and the next morning it was messed up. Is this fixable by the same method above?

Larry Dillon
yes replace the convergnce IC

yes replace the convergnce IC's and find the bad pico fuses in the power supply and you should be ok, BUT if you use cheap parts you will get cheap performance.you will also need solid soldeing skills.

Les Garlin
I may have a convergence

I may have a convergence problem with my six year old PT-47WX49E. The picture images looks haloed in green and the scrolling green text on the screen's bottom are out of aliment as well. Sometimes the picture slowly goes back to normal, but migrates back to the original problem. Is this fixable by repairing the convergence IC's?

Les Garlin
My PT-47WX49E TV may have a

My PT-47WX49E TV may have a convergence problem. The picture's images looks haloed in green and scrolling green text at the screen's bottom are out of aliment as well. The problem on occasions goes away, but slowly returns.

Is this a convergence IC problem?

Larry Dillon
sure sounds like a

sure sounds like a convergence problem but a photo would tell me for sure.

jb60
Hello, my pt47wx49e has the

Hello, my pt47wx49e has the same problem, I went directly into the serviceman menu and completely messed with it (I should have surfed a little bit more boefore going there) now I'm planning to change the STK's and components around, but before I do that I guess I have to bring all values within paramenters, does anyone have the right parameters for the serviceman menu that can please share? Thanks.

Larry Dillon
PANASONIC:

PANASONIC:

Panasonic TV's after 1996 can be set to "Serviceman Mode" with the
following remote control sequence:

First, select the SET-UP icon and select CABLE mode.

Then, select the TIMER icon and set the SLEEP timer for 30 minutes.

Next, press the ACTION button twice to get out of the menus.

Now, change to channel 124.

Then, adjust the volume to minimum (0).

You're almost there - Hit the VOL down button on the TV itself (not on
the remote) and a red "CHK" should appear in the upper corner.

Now, if you press the ACTION and VOLUME DOWN buttons (again, on the
TV, not the remote) you will toggle between AGING and SERVICEMAN modes.

Select Serviceman mode. The POWER button on the remote control will
select one of the five Serviceman Adjustment modes.

The modes are:

B - Serviceman VCJ SUB Adjustments. These include sub-tint,
sub-color, sub-brightness, sub-contrast, colorkiller/ABL/gamma,
audio and video adjustment, and vertical size.

C - Serviceman VCJ Cut-off adjustments. These include Red, Green
and Blue cut-off, red and blue drive, automatic fine tuning
(AFT), RF AGC (RF gain control), horizontal center, beam limit,
etc.

S - Serviceman Options Adjustments. These involce the PIP and
clock.

M - Serviceman MTS (Stereo/SAP) adjustments.

CHK - the mode you first entered. Normal picture and sound, lets
you check things over and still have a hotkey into the
service menu.

There is one more adjustment that isn't in the five modes, it's
global. When in either the yellow or red CHK mode, you can press
RECALL on the remote control to enter the purity firld check mode.
This lets you select a pure white, red, green, or blue screen. A
good thing to walk away from if you just want to temporarily freak
out the floor manager, but it will be fixed as soon as the TV is
turned off. Oh well.

To get out of Serviceman mode, press ACTION and POWER on the remote
cimultaneously for at least 2 seconds. The TV will momentarily
shut off and then comes back on.

JSS
I have a rear projection

I have a rear projection Panasonic Model # pt-47WX49E 1080i television.
When I am watching espn or espn 2, I can only see the top half of the ticker on the bottom of the screen. Can anyone help me with this issue?

thanks
josh

oscar roe
i turn my panasonic model

i turn my panasonic model#47WX49E ON IN 5 SECOND POWER TURN BACK OFF,CAN NOT RESET,I HAVE TO UNPLUG THE ELECTRICAL CORD FROM THE POWER OULET, TO RESRT,CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT IS THE PROBLENT.THANK YOU

Les Garlin
Larry Dillon said:

Larry Dillon said:
sure sounds like a convergence problem but a photo would tell me for sure.

Larry,

I've attached TV Screen Image a photo per your request. I hope it helps you identify my problem and offer a possible fix. (Please see image below the blank frame)

Thanks,

Les Garlin

TV Screen image 

DJG
Larry,

Larry,

The colors on my Panasonic PT-47WX49E projection TV began to separate. In particular, there was a blue halo and a yellow halo around all images. Using the convergence procedures on my TV I was unable to correct the problem. Searching the internet for help, I came across your website. Following the information on your site, I purchased 2 IC's from mcmelectronics.com for about $15 each plus shipping. I carefully removed the circuit board from my TV (the one housing the 2 IC's.). A friend of mine unsoldered the bad IC's and soldered in the new IC's. I re-installed the circuit board and carefully went through the convergence procedures on my TV.
The picture is perfect. Thanks for all of the precise information on how to correct the problem.

Larry Dillon
if you replaced the IC's for

if you replaced the IC's for the convergence, then there is an open resistor or pico fuse on the power supply somwhere. both IC's should feel hot to the touch.

Yet Another DIYer
First: Great site. The help

First: Great site. The help is much appreciated. I, like many others, was having a problem with a 47 inch panasonic (PT-47WX49E). The convergence just wouldn't move enough.

I replaced the ICs and now the picture looks fantastic for DVDs and standard definition TV.

However, it is all screwy for HD signals (only) - same issue. when I am inputting a signal from the HD cable box, the convergence shifts and bows out to the side so far that I cannot adjust it enough. Is this a software fix that can be done in the service modes (if so, how?) or is it a hardware issue?

Thank you!

Yet Another DIYer
First: Great site. The help

First: Great site. The help is much appreciated. I, like many others, was having a problem with a 47 inch panasonic (PT-47WX49E). The convergence just wouldn't move enough.

I replaced the ICs and now the picture looks fantastic for DVDs and standard definition TV.

However, it is all screwy for HD signals (only) - same issue. when I am inputting a signal from the HD cable box, the convergence shifts and bows out to the side so far that I cannot adjust it enough. Is this a software fix that can be done in the service modes (if so, how?) or is it a hardware issue?

Thank you!

Angelzplay
I just replaced the

I just replaced the convergence IC's with STK392-180's. The picture is perfect now but the TV powers off after a few minutes and it won't come back on unless unplugged. Then it does the same again. Can someone help? My guess is that I need to replace a fuse or resistor but I have no idea how to find which ones.

helpmeplease
My 1996 Panasonic projection

My 1996 Panasonic projection tv pt-56wxf95a will turn on for a couple of seconds and then it shuts off before the screen even comes on. What is wrong with it so I can save up money to fix it?

Larry Dillon
one question is the front

one question is the front light blinking after it shuts off? if so leave your e-mail address please!

helpmeplease
no it does not it just shuts

no it does not it just shuts off. [email protected]

bentmack
My hdtv rear projection tv pt

My hdtv rear projection tv pt-53wx54j does that too but blinks three times after shut off.
[email protected]

gscott963
My PT-47WX49E COMES ON FOR A

My PT-47WX49E COMES ON FOR A FEW SECONDS,PCITURE FLASHES THEN SOMETHING IN THE BACK CLICKS AND IT SHUTS OFF. NO BLINKS. HAVE TO UNPLUG THEN PLUG BACK IN AND IT DOES THE SAME THING. My e-mail is [email protected]
Thanks

Larry Dillon
sounds like bad convergence

sounds like bad convergence board, leave an e-mail and I will send you information to save you several hundred bucks!!! to repair it yourself!
Larry

earl9876
I also have the shutdown and

I also have the shutdown and blinking (3x) red light after powering up. Could you please send the info to me? [email protected]

jb60
Hello Larry, is there a way

Hello Larry, is there a way to reset the settings on the ServiceMan Mode to a factory default? I messed with the parameters quite awfully before changing the ICs, and even though I put the ones with values available in the manual things don't look as before. Hope you can help.

jamesue
Have the same issue with it

Have the same issue with it shutting down shortly after powering up.
Would appreciate a do it yourself fix, thanks
[email protected]

Pages

Connect With Techlore