Connecting laptop to TV

154 posts / 0 new
Last post
Matt Whitlock
Hi Busybee,

Hi Busybee,

You have a few options for connecting your PC to your TV, so I'll go through the options. The RGB input is the most PC friendly option you have. It's set up to handle a variety of PC friendly formats, so it should be just as easy as setting up a computer monitor if you use this input. For the best image, you'll want to set your graphics card output to 1366x768 VESA at 60hz. Good luck finding that option in your display settings (even the advanced settings), but if you can configure your card for it that will look very, very good.

You could use the HDMI input if you pick up a DVI to HDMI adapter, but the Vizio isn't very PC friendly on that input. The only standard accepted PC res there is 640x480 at 60hz, but you may be able to use something like 1280x720 at 60hz since it's a standard HD resolution. If I had to make a recommendation, I'd say go with RGB... it'll just be easier to deal with.

Do you have the PCMCIA SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS card? If so, you'll need a TosLink optical cable and a 1/8" to TosLink adapter. It will let you go digitally into your receiver. Of course, a 1/8" to analog cable will also sound just fine, but go optical if you want "the best connection possible".

Glad you're loving the TechLore Community. Tell your friends, share your experiences, review a product, answer a question, or just chat about gear. It's all welcome here. 

harryiyer
Hi

Hi

I have a sony laptop which i am trying to connect to the TV. I only have this VGA o/p. My TV has only RCA inputs.  Can I use just a standard VGA to RCA cable or I need a converter?

Hari

To add to this qn:

Can i route my laptop through a DVD player ?

Matt Whitlock
Hi harriyer,

Hi harriyer,

This is pretty well covered in the article here on how to connect a PC to your TV. Look in the section for S-video (page 2), but you'll need to take it one more step to knock it down to composite. Yes, you need a converter if an S-video input isn't provided.

You can route the signal through external devices, but DVD players don't normally have inputs. DVD recorders do though, so if that's what you meant, then you're good to go.

Yog-Sothoth
FYI for readers of this

FYI for readers of this thread, RadioShack has a VGA-component adapter on clearance (original price was $100). Keep in mind that this unit only supports 480i, so no progressive scan with this unit.

john f mt
Hi,

Hi,

I want to connect my Dell inspiron 6000 to my 46" RCA LCD TV model no. L46WD22.  I bought a S-video cable and connected it, however the tv just said it was an "unusable signal".  I went back to Best Buy and bought a Male-to-Male VGA cable and hooked it up, it still said "unusable signal".  I am not sure if this is a tv problem, a connection problem, or a computer settings problem. Any response would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bob Sotta
Yes, I've read all of the

Yes, I've read all of the comments here and on the web and still no success.

I'm trying to connect my Compaq Laptop V5201US to my Onkyo HT-R500 Home entertainment center receiver to watch videos on my Panasonic CT27D21(orCT2772S) television.  The Compaq has a 7-pin S-video-out port; the Onkyo has a 4-pin.  I've purchased a 4 pin S-video cable and a headphone jack to 3RCA cable. I believe that the yellow plug is useless and have it unplugged.  A headphone to 2 RCA cable works the same. I can hear a movie but not see it on the attached television.  I've pushed FN+F4 which appears to be the switch to show the video on the television.  Any ideas?

jonmcq007
hello all. i have a hp

hello all. i have a hp pavilion pc with windwos xp media center. i have intel grachics video card with s video out adapter. i am trying to connect my laptop to my tv. i have gone through this forum. i use a 7 pin s video cable with rca video adaptor that goes into my tv. the cable worked with my desktop so i don't know what to do. i go into my display properties and select display. i see i have the option of 2 monitors. so i click attach on the 2nd montor. then whenever i click apply nothing happens. when i hit apply nothing happens. the settings go back to normal. i try hitting function f5 and that doesnt work. i have run out of ideas. any help would be greatly appreciated! jon

Brandon Courty
Hi. I am new here, and well I

Hi. I am new here, and well I want to hook up my Acer Aspire 3620 to my tv. What I have is a VGA to RCA, well my cables are RED GREEN & BLUE. My tv only has an S-Video and two sets of YELLOW RED & WHITE inputs. Could you PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME with this, it would be greatly appreciated. I know that i can hook my laptop to another monitor but it wont work to tv.

mbabu73
Hi, i have dell inspiron 6000

Hi, i have dell inspiron 6000. I recently purchased S-Video adapter. In the display tab, TV icon is disabled. Iam not able to connect my computer to my TV. Any help would be great

Thanks

Babu

Bigfish
i had the same problem as

i had the same problem as most people. i just figured something out for Windows XP. I think it will help most people. when using the svideo cable and the 2nd monitor attached, then on the main screen of your computer, right click anywhere, then click graphic options, then output to, then click television. that solved my problem.

Fixit
jchucks said: i had the same

jchucks said: i had the same problem as most people. i just figured something out for Windows XP. I think it will help most people. when using the svideo cable and the 2nd monitor attached, then on the main screen of your computer, right click anywhere, then click graphic options, then output to, then click television. that solved my problem.

Where is this graphics options? Couldnt find it !!

Fixit
jonmcq007 said: hello all. i

jonmcq007 said: hello all. i have a hp pavilion pc with windwos xp media center. i have intel grachics video card with s video out adapter. i am trying to connect my laptop to my tv. i have gone through this forum. i use a 7 pin s video cable with rca video adaptor that goes into my tv. the cable worked with my desktop so i don't know what to do. i go into my display properties and select display. i see i have the option of 2 monitors. so i click attach on the 2nd montor. then whenever i click apply nothing happens. when i hit apply nothing happens. the settings go back to normal. i try hitting function f5 and that doesnt work. i have run out of ideas. any help would be greatly appreciated! jon

I have the same problem with my pavilion zx5000. The graphics card is ATI Mobility Radeon 9600. The cable is 7-pin s-video to RCA. In the advanced settings the TV is disabled and down there it says the cable is not connected, I can hear the stereo audio but can't see the video. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Torrero
Hi Matt

Hi Matt

I Samsung SyncMaster 2032 MW and I want to connect it with me laptop via DVI-D. Me laptop has an ATI Mobility Radeon X1400. Everything seems to be connected OK but I have no output in my TV. The laptop finds the TV, can change the settings etc. In the TV I dont even have the option to choose the "DVI" as an input source but I know tha is working since my laptop recognizes it. What shall I do?

cobra04972tx1
Interesting site. I hope I

Interesting site. I hope I can get an answer to my question. I have an older Sony, WEGA XBR 34" CRT HD TV, that I want to hook my new ASUS M70Vm-C1 to watch Netflix downloads on. Trouble is when I bought this notebook, I thought it had an s-video output, the description on ASUS' site and everywhere else said it did, but it doesn't. It only has an HDMI and VGA output. I know the HDMI is the way to go, but I only have a DVI input on the Sony, and yes, I know they make HDMI to DVI, but my DVI is occupied by my Direct TV HD box. I have an open input on the front of the TV which has an s-video and component video and audio, and that was what I was wanting to use for its accessibility, but I fear I may not be able to. What will be my best option to watch movies on a TV with only component access and one with a DVI HD input. When money permits, I'm getting a new Vizio 1080p Plasma,and them I'll hook up with HDMI, but when I go to my in-laws, very technically handicapped, and watch movies there, I will have to use component hook ups. Thanks for the help.

Matt Whitlock
cobra04972tx1 said:

cobra04972tx1 said:
Interesting site. I hope I can get an answer to my question. I have an older Sony, WEGA XBR 34" CRT HD TV, that I want to hook my new ASUS M70Vm-C1 to watch Netflix downloads on. Trouble is when I bought this notebook, I thought it had an s-video output, the description on ASUS' site and everywhere else said it did, but it doesn't. It only has an HDMI and VGA output. I know the HDMI is the way to go, but I only have a DVI input on the Sony, and yes, I know they make HDMI to DVI, but my DVI is occupied by my Direct TV HD box. I have an open input on the front of the TV which has an s-video and component video and audio, and that was what I was wanting to use for its accessibility, but I fear I may not be able to. What will be my best option to watch movies on a TV with only component access and one with a DVI HD input. When money permits, I'm getting a new Vizio 1080p Plasma,and them I'll hook up with HDMI, but when I go to my in-laws, very technically handicapped, and watch movies there, I will have to use component hook ups. Thanks for the help.

Hi Cobra,

You'll find some good information on what you need to do here: http://www.techlore.com/article/10061/How-To-Connect-a-Computer-To-Your-...

It talks about setting up a PC to work with component video. You need 'something' to make the RGB signal compatible with component video, and that often means either a) an accessory from your laptop/video graphics chip maker or b) a VGA to component video transcoder. 

Unless there's a cheap accessory to make that connection (not sure about your laptop), then I'd recommend waiting for a device called the 'SlingCatcher.' (check out the SlingCommunity for more)It's due out in the near future, and is supposed to make what you're trying to do extremely simple. 

barna
i am trying to connect a IBM

i am trying to connect a IBM thinkpad T43 with ( samsung old TV) using a S video cable after changing the display settings i am only getting the desktop picture on TV .how to get the video on laptop to TV ? can you help?

Martyhelp
Ive read most of the above,

Ive read most of the above, but doesnt actually help my situation, so if someone can help will be much appreciated..

I have a COMPAQ Presario Laptop and a 40" sony Bravia TV both connected via VGA cable, picture quality is amazing but can only use as additional monitor (Multtple Monitor)

I just want the TV to show whats on Laptop screen, when in control panel i cannot change primary monitor to TV as its grey out.
HELP lol
Martin

Matt Whitlock
Martyhelp said:

Martyhelp said:
Ive read most of the above, but doesnt actually help my situation, so if someone can help will be much appreciated..
I have a COMPAQ Presario Laptop and a 40" sony Bravia TV both connected via VGA cable, picture quality is amazing but can only use as additional monitor (Multtple Monitor)
I just want the TV to show whats on Laptop screen, when in control panel i cannot change primary monitor to TV as its grey out.
HELP lol
Martin

Close your laptop lid. That should disable the laptop monitor and use the TV as the primary.

If your laptop shuts down, goes into stand by, or hibernates, then adjust your power settings so it doesn't do that when you close the lid.

Martyhelp
Hi Matt thanks for the very

Hi Matt thanks for the very fast response and idea id not though of however that still did not work TV still says no signal ive also tried doing it WITH "extend desktop to monitor" no joy.

I dont know if its worth mentioning but when i turn my laptop on my tv displays up the windows with the loading bar and laptop screen is blank. Then once its loaded TV says no signal and laptop comes on :-/

anymore??

Martin

Martyhelp
Hi Matt ive sussed it but

Hi Matt ive sussed it but thankyou very much for your help, the hibernation thing for my screen really helps.

Dont know why but FN + F4 never worked before, restarted my comp 3 times pressed those keys again and for some reason has decided to work PROBLEM SOLVED.

Thanks again will highly recommend this site!

Matt Whitlock
On certain Dell laptops,

On certain Dell laptops, there's a keyboard shortcut for switching monitor modes (mine is Fn+F8 for example). This cycles through mirrored mode, extend mode, and disabled. Perhaps your laptop has something similar.

Also, depending on the video device in your laptop, there may be a separate utility in the graphics card menu for handling multi-monitor setups. I'd try the advanced section of the Display panel and poke around in there.

Matt Whitlock
Ha! There you have it. We

Ha! There you have it. We both had the same idea at the same time!

Martyhelp
Haha Great minds think alike!

Haha Great minds think alike!

Thanks again mate.

Martin.

ajay
hi everyone am trying to

hi everyone am trying to connect my laptop to five (5) flat screen television but am not sure what connection to look for if anyone knows would they please help me
thanks

Matt Whitlock
ajay said:

ajay said:
hi everyone am trying to connect my laptop to five (5) flat screen television but am not sure what connection to look for if anyone knows would they please help me
thanks

To clarify, you're looking to connect 1 PC to 5 TVs simultaneously?

Do you need them all to be showing the same thing, or different things?

ajay
all showing the same thing

all showing the same thing from the laptop (what ever is in hte laptop should also be showing on all 5 tv set

Matt Whitlock
Matt Whitlock said:

Matt Whitlock said:

ajay said: hi everyone am trying to connect my laptop to five (5) flat screen television but am not sure what connection to look for if anyone knows would they please help me thanks

To clarify, you're looking to connect 1 PC to 5 TVs simultaneously?
Do you need them all to be showing the same thing, or different things?

This is going into the realm of pro grade products, which isn't exactly what TechLore is all about. However, I'll do my best to guide you the right way.

1. You'll need to know what kind of outputs your laptop has.

2. What kind of input your TVs have. Note: they all need to be the SAME. Ideally, all these are PC compatible televisions, meaning they support PC resolutions.

3. Some kind of video splitter or multiplier distribution system for your type of output. For example, if it were VGA, something like these: http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10104 

Those are only examples. You may be able to find a single source 8 way splitter, but the 2x8 matrix multiplier would work depending on your desired resolution.

Is that enough to get you on the right track?

ajay
yes thank you you been a

yes thank you you been a great help.
i will find out and let you know the outcome

prior
hi i hav a hp compaq laptop

hi i hav a hp compaq laptop and a 42inc lcd tv i connected the laptop to the tv and it worked fine no porbs and then something came up about mirrors exp.. do i want to seen it on both screen i canged it on this option thinking that it would just come up on the tv when the wire is connescted but i didnt and for some reason now when i plug the wire in both the screen go blank and i cant see a thing can some1 please help me out

Hemanth
Hi Matt,

Hi Matt,
I have a IBM T60P laptop and want to connect my laptop to the TV. I currently have a Insignia 29

Pages

Connect With Techlore