Cila said:

Cila said:
Hi Matt,
I am wondering if you can help me with this issue that I have:
I have a new Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop, which comes with an Intel
Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) card. I just installed the latest
drivers for it. On the other hand I just got a Toshiba 32HL86 32" LCD
TV, which has VGA input to it.
My resolution on the laptop is currently 1680x1050 with 32 bit colors.
I purchased a VGA cable connecting my laptop to the LCD TV, and
everything works great except one point. The maximum resolution I got
on the TV is 1024x768, but since I have higher res. on the laptop and
the TV supports up to 1080i, I dont see why I cannot higher res. on the
TV. The picture is great with the 1024x768, but I think higher res is
better on this TV. I tried as extended desktop, then as Dual Display
clone, both worked, but not the the desired resolution. I would be
happy with the 1280x1024 resolution on the TV. Could it be the cable I
am using? Anything else?
Thanks in advance.

Though I couldn't find the exact manual for the model TV you've listed, I did find a similar set that has a PC input. According to the manual, the compatible PC resolutions are 640x480, 800x600, and 1024x768. The manual doesn't specifically state if the PC input is capable of other common ATSC formats, like 720p or 1080i, but you can always give them a try. I'd try the 720p format by seeing if your laptop offers the option of changing the output resolution on the secondary display to 1280x720. I'd avoid trying interlaced options like 1080i for a PC. If you can't get 720p working, then it's just the limitation of the PC input on the television. You could attain higher resolutions by picking up a VGA to component video transcoder and running compatible ATSC resolutions like 720p, but I doubt the cost would be worth it. 

Good luck, and let us know how you do. 

vvr
Matt Whitlock said:

Matt Whitlock said:

If you're seeing the Windows XP screen upon startup, you're basically there, there's just a few configuration steps you need to make.

1. From your desktop, right click anywhere and go to properties. Under the settings tab, you should see monitors listed out as 1 and 2.

2. It's possible that monitor 2 is currently grayed out. If so, Click monitor 2, then right click and select "attached".
  3. With Monitor 2 selected, adjust the screen resolution to one of the following compatible scan rates for your LCD TV listed on page 44 of your owner's manual. If you need a starting point, try 800x600.
  4. Set color quality anywhere from 16 bit to 32 bit.
  5. If you want the second monitor to be an extension of your Windows desktop, select the appropriate box. If you want the display's mirrored, leave the box empty.
  6. Click apply, and you should have a picture on your screen.

Matt, I did all 6 steps for connection of my Dell 5150 with NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 to TV with S-video cable (cable is with 4 pins, computer connector has a 7-pin socket). I can use TV as a second monitor and can drag applications to TV. However, when I run slide show or DVD they can be seen on PC only. I can't check the box for monitor 2 (TV) to use it as the primary monitor. When I uncheck box "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor" I get black screen on my TV. When I press Fn+F8 I also get black screen. Any suggestions?

Bezalel
Hello everybody,

Hello everybody,

I have a Toshiba 37WL55 LCD TV with a d-sub connection,

at the other hand I have an HP pavillion dv8391ea laptop with a vga out. 

I tried to connect my laptop to the tv with a working vga cable I have,

choosed the PC source in the TV, went to the Nvidia display drivers,

switched to 1024*768, 32 bit, 60Hz, and switched to the analog display

(ie the VGA out) the TV flickerd for a while while my laptop went black,

and then... NOTHING, the laptop screen get turned on again.

With my desktop it worked with out a problem.

in the TV manual it says that some computers won't work with that TV?!?!?

I could not find in Google a list of supported computers and I refuse to belive that this can not be solved.

Please, do somebody know if there is a wrokaround?

Thanks,

Bez. 

shantanu.u
Here's the problem I'm facing

Here's the problem I'm facing with s-video connection

* I've connected my dell 700m (intel display driver) to TVs previously with no problem at all.
* the driver showed me the tv selection radio button...rest worked flawlessly...
* last couple of months, I've been trying to connect laptop to my widescreen tv but the tv selection radio button on th driver just don't show up !!!

I've tried several things already :
- reinstall of driver
- switching off tv, notebook, then switch on
- lowering the resolution

It's so frustrating...I just can' get the laptop to pass signal to the tv, well, I don't even see the selection on my driver interface. 

I've tried lowering the resolution, then restarting the lapto[ and tv. Still, I don't see the televisio selection ( I just see the notebook radio button).

What's going on ?

CLARE
I have a Dell Inspiron e14105

I have a Dell Inspiron e14105 with an Intel chipset, forget the specifcs of it. All I know is that it has a S-Video port available on the side of it. I'm trying to use an S-Video cable to plug into a TV, but the TV turns staticy as soon as I boot up my computer with the cord plugged on both ends. I want to produce the same image on my 'top on the TV, but I am at ends meet trying to find out how to multi-monitor with the TV. Is it the TV or my chipset or anything at all?

coderunner
Hi Matt

Hi Matt

Im currently using an Acer Ferrari 3400 laptop and I want to connect it to my my tv which is a Sony Wega model no.:KV- SW34M80 series.

The laptop has a ATI mobility radeon 9700 series graphic card and has a video out.

I bought a 7 pin to 3 RCA cable (http://www.svideo.com/7pin3rca.html) and have made the connections.

Now i select the A/V option on the TV and when i use the Fn+F5 key to switch to the external monitor all i can see is a flash and then a blank screen on the TV.

I also went into the displays option in the ATI properties window in the laptop and  under the TV it says "not connected" even though the connections have been made.

I had bought this laptop in the UK and using it in India now and the TV is purchased in India and is PAL.

How do I go about this? Is there anyway i can detect if the signal passed from my laptop to the TV is PAL or NTSC.

Thanks in advance.  

Imtiaz Reza
In my computer, I have

In my computer, I have checked Under the "Settings" tab of the display properties menu by clicking "Advanced" button then clicking the tab labeled "Displays". But, under this tab, I did not find anything to select "TV" option as my primary monitor. Actually being clicking Advance tab, there is a new pop up window appear with tabs such as General, Adapter, Moniotor, Troubleshoot and Color Management. I already tried each of these tabs, but I could not find any TV option i.e. two monitor option stuff. I have windows XP pro. and Dell Latitude laptop. Please help me to get this option to connect my computer to tv set using svideo cable.

Thanks,

Imtiaz 

johnt
 i know this seems like same

i know this seems like same query over again good people! but i have acer aspire 5610 connected to a samsung lcd with compatible vga lead and again i am getting windows xp on screen at start up and then the laptop background picture will stay on tv. i can open window and drag on too tv screen like u suggested matt but i cant do anything else like using windows media player on tv or internet etc what do i need to get or am i just doin something wrong. please help im a novice at this game!

Matt Whitlock
johnt,

johnt,

When using two monitors, under the "Settings" tab of the display properties menu, you should see two boxes labeled 1 and 2.  Right click the number 2 monitor, and select "Primary". Then, hit apply. If all works as it should, you should now be able to view video content on the second screen rather then on the Acer screen.

johnt
Matt Whitlock said: johnt,

Matt Whitlock said: johnt, When using two monitors, under the "Settings" tab of the display properties menu, you should see two boxes labeled 1 and 2.  Right click the number 2 monitor, and select "Primary". Then, hit apply. If all works as it should, you should now be able to view video content on the second screen rather then on the Acer screen.

tried that as well matt. the tv screen just turns black when i do that! any other suggestionsCry

Matt Whitlock
johnt said: Matt Whitlock

johnt said:

Matt Whitlock said: johnt, When using two monitors, under the "Settings" tab of the display properties menu, you should see two boxes labeled 1 and 2. Right click the number 2 monitor, and select "Primary". Then, hit apply. If all works as it should, you should now be able to view video content on the second screen rather then on the Acer screen.

tried that as well matt. the tv screen just turns black when i do that! any other suggestionsCry

Hmmm..... When you assigned the second monitor as the primary, did the resolution setting change? Did you make sure that each was still "attached"?

If that fails, have you tried disabling the laptop screen? 

johnt
Matt Whitlock said: johnt

Matt Whitlock said:

johnt said:
Matt Whitlock said: johnt, When using two monitors, under the "Settings" tab of the display properties menu, you should see two boxes labeled 1 and 2. Right click the number 2 monitor, and select "Primary". Then, hit apply. If all works as it should, you should now be able to view video content on the second screen rather then on the Acer screen.

Hmmm..... When you assigned the second monitor as the primary, did the resolution setting change? Did you make sure that each was still "attached"? If that fails, have you tried disabling the laptop screen? 

yep the resolution did change matt and both were still attached  my friend. how do u disable laptop screen?Laughing

Matt Whitlock
johnt said: Matt

johnt said:

Matt Whitlock said:
johnt said:

Hmmm..... When you assigned the second monitor as the primary, did the resolution setting change? Did you make sure that each was still "attached"? If that fails, have you tried disabling the laptop screen?

yep the resolution did change matt and both were still attached my friend. how do u disable laptop screen?Laughing

If the resolution changed when you set number 2 as primary, then you'll need to correctly set it for your display. Did you get it working? If you get confused which monitor is which (since the second monitor becomes the first when you flip which is primary), hit the identify button. This will flash a number 1 or 2 on the screen to help you figure out which you need to adjust.

Once you have a picture on the second TV, you 'should' be able to disable the laptop screen by unchecking "Attached" on the right click menu. Just make sure you know which you're detaching.

johnt
Matt Whitlock said: johnt

Matt Whitlock said:

johnt said:
Matt Whitlock said:
johnt said:

yep the resolution did change matt and both were still attached my friend. how do u disable laptop screen?Laughing

If the resolution changed when you set number 2 as primary, then you'll need to correctly set it for your display. Did you get it working? If you get confused which monitor is which (since the second monitor becomes the first when you flip which is primary), hit the identify button. This will flash a number 1 or 2 on the screen to help you figure out which you need to adjust. Once you have a picture on the second TV, you 'should' be able to disable the laptop screen by unchecking "Attached" on the right click menu. Just make sure you know which you're detaching.

when i am in display properties and have both monitors attached res on laptop (1) is 1280 x 800 but nearest i can get on (2) is 1280 x 768 is that ok .should i disable laptop screen to see if graphics transfer on to tv if i cant get them on matt. sorry for hassle matt!

Matt Whitlock
johnt,

johnt,

Try setting the resolution for the TV (or both for right now) at 1024x768 or 800x600 (or 640x480 if worse comes to worse). Many consumer LCD televisions won't handle 1280x768, 1280x800, or 1280x1024. You may be able to try something like 1280x720 (a common HD standard), but use a lower resolution first and then increase from there.

johnt
Matt Whitlock said: johnt,

Matt Whitlock said: johnt, Try setting the resolution for the TV (or both for right now) at 1024x768 or 800x600 (or 640x480 if worse comes to worse). Many consumer LCD televisions won't handle 1280x768, 1280x800, or 1280x1024. You may be able to try something like 1280x720 (a common HD standard), but use a lower resolution first and then increase from there.

tried all that matt no joy tv still keeps goin blank every time.even when i tried to switch laptop screen off the tv went black and laptop stayed on .i had them identified correctly.i am at a loss! cheers for the help mate

karess
I am looking into purchasing

I am looking into purchasing a Dell laptop and one of the features I am looking for is being able to play streaming video (i.e. sporting events) on the TV from the laptop.  Any suggestions on the type of processor, memory and video card I should look for to ensure good picture quality? 

Processors available:

Intel® Core™ Duo T2250 (1.73GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 533MHz FSB); Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5600 (1.83GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 667MHz FSB); Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5600 (1.83GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 667MHz FSB); Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7200 (2.00GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 667MHz FSB); Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7200 (2.00GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 667MHz FSB); Intel® Pentium® dual-core T2060(1MB Cache/1.6GHz/533MHz FSB); Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5200 (1.6GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 533MHz FSB)

Video Cards:

Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950

256MB ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® X1400 HyperMemory™

256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 7300 TurboCache*

Thanks in advance for any help.  Sorry if the post is a little long with the details.  Any other suggestions are welcome.

jpguelfi
first off...great site. but

first off...great site. but here's something i haven't read about yet. i connected my laptop to my tv, and it displays the desktop picture, but no icons. the mouse is there but that doesn't really help. any ideas?

Matt Whitlock
jpguelfi said: first off..

jpguelfi said: first off...great site. but here's something i haven't read about yet. i connected my laptop to my tv, and it displays the desktop picture, but no icons. the mouse is there but that doesn't really help. any ideas?

This is common when you've checked the "extend my Windows desktop" box checked in display properties. It uses both monitors like 1 big monitor. You should be able to launch a program from the side that has icons (your primary display), and drag the window from one monitor to the other.

Matt Whitlock
phillyguy8338 said: I am

phillyguy8338 said: I am looking into purchasing a Dell laptop and one of the features I am looking for is being able to play streaming video (i.e. sporting events) on the TV from the laptop. Any suggestions on the type of processor, memory and video card I should look for to ensure good picture quality? Processors available: Intel® Core™ Duo T2250 (1.73GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 533MHz FSB); Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5600 (1.83GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 667MHz FSB); Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5600 (1.83GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 667MHz FSB); Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7200 (2.00GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 667MHz FSB); Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7200 (2.00GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 667MHz FSB); Intel® Pentium® dual-core T2060(1MB Cache/1.6GHz/533MHz FSB); Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5200 (1.6GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 533MHz FSB) Video Cards: Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950 256MB ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® X1400 HyperMemory™ 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 7300 TurboCache* Thanks in advance for any help. Sorry if the post is a little long with the details. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Any of the main processor options presented to you will be fine for streaming video (of course, I'd recommend one of the Core 2 Duo processors for better multitasking support), but I'd certainly consider upping the graphics card option to either the ATI or Nvidia solution for better driver support and more flexible options for connecting to televisions. If I had to choose, I think ATI has a more intuitive configuration menu for those types of tasks.

Matt Whitlock
johnt said: Matt Whitlock

johnt said:

Matt Whitlock said: johnt, Try setting the resolution for the TV (or both for right now) at 1024x768 or 800x600 (or 640x480 if worse comes to worse). Many consumer LCD televisions won't handle 1280x768, 1280x800, or 1280x1024. You may be able to try something like 1280x720 (a common HD standard), but use a lower resolution first and then increase from there.

tried all that matt no joy tv still keeps goin blank every time.even when i tried to switch laptop screen off the tv went black and laptop stayed on .i had them identified correctly.i am at a loss! cheers for the help mate

Don't give up yet. Some rigs won't let you disable the laptop screen, so don't worry if you can't turn it off.

When you were identifying monitors, did the number 1 appear on the TV? 

johnt
yes matt number 1 was on tv.

yes matt number 1 was on tv. iwas able to get video content now by minimising and dragging it over onto tv then max it again it works great at full res still cant get at on both screens at same time though is that possible or should i just stick with what i have got mate

Matt Whitlock
johnt said: yes matt number

johnt said: yes matt number 1 was on tv. iwas able to get video content now by minimising and dragging it over onto tv then max it again it works great at full res still cant get at on both screens at same time though is that possible or should i just stick with what i have got mate

Cool, glad you got it working!

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there will be no way to play certain video files on both screens simultaneously. There's licensing issues with having two video streams accessible and other reasons why. I'm just glad you got it working!

Keep an eye on the TechLore forums, I'm sure there will be someone else in your shoes down the road looking for a hero, and would love to have your help. 

akakka
Hi I have got a Toshiba 115

Hi I have got a Toshiba 115 S3094 model.It has a 4 pin s video out put.I recently purchased the s video cable to connect to my tv.But the screen on my TV is blank though it shows shaky lines (which means that it's reading the laptop) but no picture what so ever.The TV is an LG model  in India around 4 yrs old. I have tried all kind of display options but still no picture on my TV? Please help.

How do i find out if my TV Samsung (4 year old TV) is laptop compatable?

akakka
hi Matt, can u help me

hi Matt, can u help me resolve the question above.?

Matt Whitlock
akakka said: Hi I have got a

akakka said: Hi I have got a Toshiba 115 S3094 model.It has a 4 pin s video out put.I recently purchased the s video cable to connect to my tv.But the screen on my TV is blank though it shows shaky lines (which means that it's reading the laptop) but no picture what so ever.The TV is an LG model  in India around 4 yrs old. I have tried all kind of display options but still no picture on my TV? Please help. How do i find out if my TV Samsung (4 year old TV) is laptop compatable?    

Well, you've said that the TV is both an LG and a Samsung. Which is it?

If the TV is located in India, then its looking for PAL signals. By default the laptop may be sending out US compatible NTSC signals. Double check your display driver settings for an option to use PAL instead of NTSC. 

Try that and post back. Good luck! 

ajeet
Markymark337 said: its a

Markymark337 said: its a nVIDIA card. Yesterday i got a program that mirrored my laptop moniter to the TV so now i have it on both screens now. HOWEVER...my whole point of this was to be able to play games on my TV instead of the laptop. The only problem is, is that the resolution is really shi**y and i can hardly read the text on the TV...is there anyway to change that?

Hi Mark,

Which program did you use to mirror your laptop on TV?

thanks

Ajeet

engeneer_gunner
hello i just figured out how

hello i just figured out how to hook my laptop to my 42 in HDTV but when it displays my laptop screen, it is about 32 in so i dont know how to make it the full 42 in, i went to display in controll panel and then to advance settings and chose the display tab it game me four options

Laptop/panel         -------         Monitor      -------       TV    -------    and i forgot the other one

well the laptop one and the monitor one is selected but i think i need the TV one that way i can view the full 42 in instead of about 30 or so    but it wont let me choose the TV display it has an X over the button that i need to select. i have an ATI radion 300 so im not shure on what i got to do iv tryied all the settings maybe it is the video card i dont know since it has the option you would think you could use it  does it make a differince in the cable im using AVI cable i think ( it is blue, it connects to the back of my laptop and has two screws you tighten you know the cable you use to connect to a monitor i also have a white one just like it  so i dont know can someone please help!!!!!!

Matt Whitlock
engeneer_gunner said: hello

engeneer_gunner said: hello i just figured out how to hook my laptop to my 42 in HDTV but when it displays my laptop screen, it is about 32 in so i dont know how to make it the full 42 in, i went to display in controll panel and then to advance settings and chose the display tab it game me four options Laptop/panel         -------         Monitor      -------       TV    -------    and i forgot the other one well the laptop one and the monitor one is selected but i think i need the TV one that way i can view the full 42 in instead of about 30 or so    but it wont let me choose the TV display it has an X over the button that i need to select. i have an ATI radion 300 so im not shure on what i got to do iv tryied all the settings maybe it is the video card i dont know since it has the option you would think you could use it  does it make a differince in the cable im using AVI cable i think ( it is blue, it connects to the back of my laptop and has two screws you tighten you know the cable you use to connect to a monitor i also have a white one just like it  so i dont know can someone please help!!!!!!

Sounds like you have it connected with a DVI cable. One of the problems you're likely to face is that TV products aren't as flexible with PC resolutions as regular PC monitors are. You may not be able to feed a widescreen resolution into the TV set, few TVs support it.

Download the latest compatible ATI catalyst software if compatible with your laptop (go to YOUR LAPTOP MANUFACTURERS website to download display drivers for your laptop). The catalyst software should have some advanced features for connecting to HDTVs, so your best bet is to start there.

Busybee
Hello Matt,

Hello Matt,

I am wanting to connect my dell laptop to my LCD TV and could use some help.

My Laptop is using a ATI x1400 video card with dvi/vga/svideo connection. 

My TV is a LCD 37" Vizio with 2 HDMI connections, 1 vga connection, 2 components connections, and 1 svideo connection.

I also use a Pioneer Audio Reciever(900watts) for my surround sound for the TV. its a fairly new reciever that supports digital/optical and regular audio inputs etc. but I dont want to damage my laptop soundcard, it is a Soundblaster Audigy card.

I would like the clearest picture possible and good audio, any ideas on what I might need, cables etc. for the video/audio ?

I am also planning on putting  a Nvidia 7900 GS card in this laptop since it does support that model card later down the road this year, but  im sure the cables will be the same for either card since the connections are the same...

Thanks alot and btw this site rocks!!! alot of good information can be found here.

Pages

Connect With Techlore