Projection TV problem

108 posts / 0 new
Last post
Larry Dillon
It sounds as though this is a

It sounds as though this is a convergence problem. if im not mistakeing, this set is made by Samsung. A fact I just found out. There are two IC's that will have to be replaced and most likly some alighnment to do also. if you have a soldering iron and know how to solder and unsodler, you should have no problem getting new IC's and replacing them your self. if you do not have any solid state repair experience, play it safe and find a local service depot to service this set for you.  Good Luck and let us know if you need any more info and how you made out with this set.

KoniChagwa
Mr. Dillon, thank you for the

Mr. Dillon, thank you for the reply.  I looked around on the web for STK392-040 and found a few places I could get it.  The average price was around $15.00 (U.S.).  Does this sound about right for that part.  Thank you once again.

KoniChagwa
I meant to add one more thing

I meant to add one more thing.  one of the places was selling this part for aroung $40.00.  how can you tell if its a good part or a fake?

dans_repair_service
If the supplier is a

If the supplier is a distributer for Samsung, Sony, etc.  the part is most likely to be the ones usually used by those manufacturers.  The caution is for the "generic" parts also available that are usually cheaper.  In most cases the generic parts will work as they should have the same characteristics, but in some cases there are enough differences to cause a shortened lifetime.  Stick with the manufaturers part.

KoniChagwa
Thanks everyone for all of

Thanks everyone for all of the help.  I opened the back of the tv, saw the parts to be replaced and decided to call a repair man.  He said (over the phone) more than likely around $300-$350.  I'm kind of reluctant to let go of money but I dont want to have to buy a whole new tv by trying to do it myself and messing up.  I'll post about the repair when its finished.  Once again thanks for al of the help.

XkevinX
I have sony 53 inch model kp

I have sony 53 inch model kp-53hs10 and the picture goes out but the sound is fine. If i hit the menu button to change the picture from movie, games, vivid etc. the pic MIGHT come on for a second. sometimes the t.v. will stay on for an hour maybe longer then other the pic will only stay on for a couple of minutes. i noticed right before the pic goes out the screen seems toget a shade or two darker then goes out. If i turn the t.v. off and then back on the picture will come back on for a second. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Larry Dillon
You could have a problem with

You could have a problem with the vertical circuit, the video circuit, snf or a Q-box problem. I looked up this model, and it has several issues with this RA4B chassis. I myself have found the vertical output IC had bad connections on the pins on the printed circuit board. If you get the manual, and have a soldering iron, you can resolder carefully, the vertical IC to see if that helps. If it does not, you will need to look at the blanking circuit to see if that is being activated, and what is triggering it. If you do not have any TV repair experience or no experience working on solid state printed circuit boards, play it safe and call in a trained tech to assist you in this repair. Good Luck, and let us know how you made out.

HVAC Ace
I have a Sony kp-51ws510 HDTV

I have a Sony kp-51ws510 HDTV and I have lost the owners manual.  This is my first problem, I don't know where to get another one.  The second problem I have is that I have a blue ghost image that appears on the screen when I watch TV but goes away when I watch DVDs.  When I try to go to the " Convergent " program the set goes black.  I have to shut it off and it resets and works again but I still have the ghost image.  Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Larry Dillon
HVAC Ace, you can go HERE and

HVAC Ace, you can go HERE and download one for free!  On your other problem, you may have bad solder connections on the "G" power board or on the convergence IC's.  Good Luck, and let us know how you made out with this set.

Sky
I have a Hitachi 51" rear
I have a Hitachi 51" rear projection TV.  Model number is 51SWX20B and is approx 5 years old.  Recently, when you push the power button it will come on (no picture) for two seconds and turns right off.  Please help.
rinsunza
my magnavox 51mp392h/17 will

my magnavox 51mp392h/17 will not turn on. checked power supply and have power. dishequipment come on and other tv works. ?????

any solutions?

Larry Dillon
rinsunza, what in the power

rinsunza, what in the power supply did you check?  Do you have a schematic of the set?  Your going to also need to know how to read a schematic.  if you do, great send me a copy and we will go from there.  If you do not, then I would highly suggest that you call in the local repair shop to assist you in this repair.  Good Luck and get back to us with the progress of this repair.

LG
kywildcat said: I have a 46"

kywildcat said: I have a 46" Zenith projection tv. Bought in 1995 Just recently it has been pulling in from the sides in an hourglass fashion. Top amd bottome are fine. It is very erractic in doing this. Sometimes staying for 5 minutes, other times staying for as long as 3 day. any suggestions?

Hey Ky, I had this same problem with our last two sets and so I asked the same question here. The tech was critical of what I did to fix it or better stated, extend the useful life of the set. This may work for you and best of all it won't cost you a cent. So check this out...keep in mind I'm no TV tech OK? I offer this to you because if fixing these things is as costly as a new set, what do you have to lose. I do this even now on our 42" mitsubishi. So here you go...try kicking or banging on the side of the set! It will take some trial and error, but it straightens out the picture. Pretty disgusting but I swear, it has been working for over a year! I don't think it is recommended by the manufacture, but if I would have purchased a new set back when it started doing this I would have paid considerably more for the same set today. Good luck I hope you get some more life out of the set.

Larry Dillon
LG your lucky, as alot of

LG your lucky, as alot of folks who do stupid things like that end up causeing more damage then good.  If you have to hit a set, and I never condone this, there is a simple bad connection inside the TV set somewhere on the printed circuit boards.

no-techno
I have an RCA (Thomson) 52"

I have an RCA (Thomson) 52" HDTV model number D52W19BYX2 that is less than two years old.  In the last month, it has been making a "click" sound from the back and a light black fog goes across the TV.  This all takes place in less than a second.  It does not block the picture, it just darkens it.  I have contacted Thomson and they just told me to unplug it for an hour because they didn't have a clue.   This didn't help at all.  Sometimes it does is once a day, sometimes 3 times in a row.   The picture is still good, just a tick sound and the black fog.  To be honest, the only thing I can think of to describe it is like it's getting a static shock.  Any thoughts??  Thanks in advance.

Larry Dillon
I think this could be your

I think this could be your problem, as these set have a little problem in the tuner power supply, two or three capacitors.  I think they are 4700uf at 10volts.  RCA's new part Number for these capacitors is 248988. I think the these orginal caps simply could not take the heat and fail, causing your problem , the new caps have been upgraded a bit.  If this is not the problem, possible you may have a small high voltage leak from one of the CRT's, the second anode lead, the high voltage divider block, or the high voltage transformer. Good Luck, and let us know how it turns out.  

BruceNH
ageckle said: I have a

ageckle said: I have a Magnavox 51" wide screen HDTV monitor.  The TV is 2-3 years old and recently developed a blue/yellow shadow at the bottom of the screen.  White objects on the bottom 2-3" of the screen get a blue or yellow shadow.  The shadow generally runs slightly diagonally with a wider shadow on the left part of the screne.  It's most pronounced when a news bar or the ESPN2 bottom line is running.  Is this problem the composite board one discussed above or is it something else.  Thanks.

Hey Ageckle,

I have the same TV with the same problem.  My blue gun is off and will not converge up-and down.  It will converge left to right.  Any luck with your problem?

no-techno
Thanks, Larry.  I've found

Thanks, Larry.  I've found the capacitors online for under a dollar.  Is this something that I need to have a professional look at or can a "normal" person attempt it?  Any idea of the cost--whether I should fix it or bring up the old 27 inch from the basement??

Thanks for everything!!  Even Thomson didn't have a clue!!

Larry Dillon
If you have the ability to

If you have the ability to solder small parts and know how to take apart a tuner.  A repair like this should be about 200 bucks or so if not less

mikelboi
i have a 1998 GE 52GW945 and

i have a 1998 GE 52GW945 and it will not turn on amymore. when it is plugged in it makes a ticking sound. it will continue to tick untill it is unpluged. does anyone have any idea what might be going on?

Larry Dillon
This model and chassis of TV

This model and chassis of TV is very common for the horizontal output transistor( Q14401) to short.  Sometimes the transistor will short because the high voltage transformer will go bad also and take out the transistor. Also any time the horizontal output is replaced I would recomend that C14410, C14800, CR14800, CR14401, and  Q14802 also be replaced. I have also  found a 10 ohm short across CR14102. This was caused by a shorted C14147 1.5 mfd @ 100vdc. Part number 214049.  Also one more thing, this set is common for the coolent to leak onto the printed circuit boards below the picture tubes.  Last time I had a coolent leak, I found the convergence board to be fried, and found a spot in all three tubes because of this falure.  These are not repairs a novice or a handi-person should ever attempt. If you have no solid state repair knowledge, please find a local service depot in your area.  Good Luck, and let us know how this turns out.

Troy182
Hi, years ago i purchased an

Hi, years ago i purchased an Apex 43"  GB43HD09 . Dumb to go with apex i know now, (i was 17).  just wanted a big screen, cheap. never used the "HD" as far as a converter or anything, recently i have had some trouble, im getting double vision with this unit. the colors just seem to seperate and there are 2 images overlapping about 1" on each other. at first i was just thinking it was when he heated up, but it is pretty random, sometimes the tv will be on for hours and not do it, sometimes it will only be on 10 minutes and do it. sometimes it corrects itself, sometimes it doesnt, i have absolutley no clue how to go about fixing this, ive heard that calling apex is useless. dont know what im doing, or whats what, more than willing to purchase parts, pay for professionals to fix this, any suggestions? thanks- troy

Larry Dillon
Troy, first off if you have

Troy, first off if you have no solid state repair experience, please do not attempt to repair this yourself.  Your problem sounds like a convergence fault.  You could simply have bad connections on the convergence board or the board may need rebuilding.  This would consist of replacing two or three ICs that are soldered onto this board.  They are called the convergence power IC's.  This repair should run you anywhere from $250.00 all the way up to $400.00 bucks depending on what has to be done.  Hope this helps.  Good Luck and let us know the outcome of this repair.

shiz
my projection tv will not

my projection tv will not turn back on after  we lost power this week ...it is an older model ,lxi from sears. it happened before but it turned back on the next day...this time it isnt turning back on and its been a week...i checked the fuse and the outlet ...anyone have any input????????? 

mikelboi
Hey this is what you said was

Hey this is what you said was wrong... "This model and chassis of TV is very common for the horizontal output transistor( Q14401) to short.  Sometimes the transistor will short because the high voltage transformer will go bad also and take out the transistor. Also any time the horizontal output is replaced I would recomend that C14410, C14800, CR14800, CR14401, and  Q14802 also be replaced. I have also  found a 10 ohm short across CR14102. This was caused by a shorted C14147 1.5 mfd @ 100vdc. Part number 214049.  Also one more thing, this set is common for the coolent to leak onto the printed circuit boards below the picture tubes.  Last time I had a coolent leak, I found the convergence board to be fried, and found a spot in all three tubes because of this falure.  These are not repairs a novice or a handi-person should ever attempt. If you have no solid state repair knowledge, please find a local service depot in your area.  Good Luck, and let us know how this turns out." You are so right you nailed it! but... it's going to cost $400.00 to fix. because i have no experience with this and im not sure where to get the parts to fix it anyway. THANKS for the help. :)

Larry Dillon
Well I am glad I was correct,

Well I am glad I was correct, only had many of these sets to repair.  Thank you for your kind words but sorry about the cost.

Kenzo
i have philips 51pp9910/17

i have philips 51pp9910/17 only three years old ,one day i turn on the tv the red light is on front panel but no video or sound i heard some chirping noise on the back panel. i open the back to see, the blue,red crt is sparkling. anybody have idea what is causing this....???????

tazkinguk
can someone help me - my

can someone help me - my Samsung SP43W6HL rear screen projection television I cannot get the picture clear & sharp have tried all the settings within the menu but still cannot get it as clear as it should be. It looks like the colours are interfering with one another if you can help please email at [email protected] I have searched the internet to find the techical manual but no joy - Thanks Steve 

Larry Dillon
tazkinguk, it sounds like you

tazkinguk, it sounds like you may have the typical convergence problem that happens on almost every tube type of projection TV set.  There are Two STK type IC's that need to be replaced, or on most Samsung TV sets. it is better and sometimes less expensive to replace the entire convergence board.  You being in the UK, I am really not sure where to get the parts you need, but I am sure if you find a samsung servicer, they can direct you in the right direction. If you have No TV repair experience, play it safe and get a trained tech to assist you with this repair, Good Luck and let us know how you make out with this repair.

no-techno
no-techno said: I have an RCA

no-techno said: I have an RCA (Thomson) 52" HDTV model number D52W19BYX2 that is less than two years old.  In the last month, it has been making a "click" sound from the back and a light black fog goes across the TV.  This all takes place in less than a second.  It does not block the picture, it just darkens it.  I have contacted Thomson and they just told me to unplug it for an hour because they didn't have a clue.   This didn't help at all.  Sometimes it does is once a day, sometimes 3 times in a row.   The picture is still good, just a tick sound and the black fog.  To be honest, the only thing I can think of to describe it is like it's getting a static shock.  Any thoughts??  Thanks in advance.

My TV stopped making the clicking and static sound right after I posted this.  I thought whatever is was had ended.  Well, this morning it started with the terrible sounds agian--only louder.  That's when it shut off.  My husband got down and looked and could see a blue arc inside the TV.  It was on the back right side (as you are looking at the screen) on the bottom.  Is that where the capacitors are? 

I've already emailed RCA, but they've given me nothing from the get go.  All they ever said--over and over--is unplug it.  That never helped, but they had never heard of my problem.  Now my warranty is out!  To put it lightly--I'm frustrated and will NEVER EVER buy another RCA product.  Not only are their products a problem, their customer service is horrible!!

Larry, I should've listened to you in the first place and had it fixed!!!

Pages

Connect With Techlore