GR9D Convergence Board on Magnavox 9p5534 c101 HELP!!!

41 posts / 0 new
Last post
herring_usna
GR9D Convergence Board on Magnavox 9p5534 c101 HELP!!!

Hi Fellas,

I have a Magnavox 9P5534 c101 that would not turn on, and only had a green blinking light. I replaced the opto isolator, and poof it comes to life. Now, I found the convergence to be out of wack... only the blue cross would move, not the red. Moving the blue cross would make the green expand and distort. I then replaced the STK 392-110s on the GR9D convergence board. Testing this, I found I could make now NONE of the crosses move, the crosses were less bent and distorted however. The picture bows slightly at top and bottom as well. I then pulled the convergence board out again, and found that I had a blown fuse.I don´t know if it was blown all a long or not. Replacing the fuse created no change. Did I already destroy the new STKs that I installed? This link has proven helpful, but no joy yet.

http://www.techlore.com/forum/thread/23663/phillips-9p5534-c101-converge...

Any Ideas team?

Alnp
You are on the right track

Stay out of the service menu until you get all the faulty parts replaced.

The PTV800 series (PTV835,PTV836,PTV840,PTV841,PTV842,PTV843,PTV853,PTV854,PTV855)
manual is now in the download section, (also applies to these other sets,
50YP43 50YP44 55P916 55P927 55YP43 55YP44 60P916 60P927 60YP43 64P916 64P927 9P5031 9P5034 9P5040 9P5044 9P5511 9P5514 9P5531 9P5534 9P5540 9P5544 9P6031 9P6034 9P6040 9P6044 9P6440 9P6444 PV5571 PV6071)
http://www.techlore.com/download/23667/Philips-7586-Service-PTV800-series/

Alnp
recheck your solder work and

recheck your solder work and continuity to and from the stk's and convergence resistors for solder bridges and bad circuit traces,check solder on all other board ic's and connectors, check the whole board. some advise to replace all 12 conv resistors, they are cheap enough, because they might fail under load.

herring_usna
Thanks for such a quick

Thanks for such a quick response :)

I will do everything that you suggested and check the board all over. I will also take out and check all of the resistors in question. It is curious that the service manual says that these resistors are 6.8 ohm resistors, but they are all 2.2 ohm resistors (red red gold gold a.k.a. 2.2)

I will indeed make no changes in the service menu, until I get this board sorted out. I did check diagnostic display in the service menu, it comes up as KLN

meaning

K TELH9-205A Tuner B 1901, Small Signal Panel
L GS301 Guide Plus ASIC 7005, Guide Plus Panel
N S87652 ESI Bus Micro 7002, Rear Switch Panel

Convergence board not listed as a problem.

I hope that these are not actually broken, and this is just happening because of the convergence board.

When I turn the TV with out the convergence board plugged in at all, the picture is much worse, and it bows on the sides as well. The board must be doing something when plugged in.

herring_usna
I have desoldered and checked

I have desoldered and checked all of the resistors. The fuses are replaced now as well. I am not sure what else to check.

Alnp
there is another 9p5534 c101

there is another 9p5534 c101 thread you probably have already seen.

page 62 of the manual has a convergence flow chart that mentions some diodes to check in addition to the fuses.

this thread might help:
http://www.riddledtv.com/forums/magnavox-ptv835-whoops-t257.html

be careful in the service menu until you get the crosses moving ok, then try adjusting in the user menu first

herring_usna
Success!!! Thanks so much

Success!!! Thanks so much Alnp. I love your member photo by the way.

After following the convergence flow chart in the service manual (page 62), I found that the convergence board was receiving power, but it was not getting the -32 volts it needed from the Large Signal Board. I checked the diode and fuse related to the creation of the -32 volts, and I found the fuse was blown. I popped in a new fuse and Boom!; All fixed.

All in all, this tv took a new optical isolator, two new STKs, and two new fuses. I think think the faulty opto isolator may have been what caused all of the damage.

The simple convergence screen in the menu works nicely, but it does not get the picture quite perfect. I am thinking about reading up in the service menu on how to give it the MAJOR Convergence Tune Up.

Thanks Again Friend!

Alnp
Good job.

Good job.

Please list the part numbers of the fuses and isolator you replaced if you remember them. Did you replace all the convergence resistors, if so what value?
This info may help others with post-stk replacement convergence problems.

Have you inspected the green and blue crt's for coolant contamination?

Have you done electrical and mechanical focus?

herring_usna
I replaced:

I replaced:

The opto isolator, not sure of part number, but the chip is labeled CNW136. It is a one of a kind in the TV.

I replaced the a fuse in the convergence board, Part number 1007, a 1A 250V fuse

I also replaced a fuse on the the large signal Panel, part 1405, a 5A 250V fuse.

All of the convergence resistors were still good.

I have not inspected the coolant for contamination. Please tell me how to do so.

And, please describe to me the electrical and mechanical focus. :)

herring_usna
Oh, I also replaced the two

Oh, I also replaced the two STK 329 110s, but I wonder now if they were ever broken

Alnp

Stay out of the service menu until you get all the faulty parts replaced.

The PTV800 series (PTV835,PTV836,PTV840,PTV841,PTV842,PTV843,PTV853,PTV854,PTV855)
manual is now in the download section, (also applies to these other sets,
50YP43 50YP44 55P916 55P927 55YP43 55YP44 60P916 60P927 60YP43 64P916 64P927 9P5031 9P5034 9P5040 9P5044 9P5511 9P5514 9P5531 9P5534 9P5540 9P5544 9P6031 9P6034 9P6040 9P6044 9P6440 9P6444 PV5571 PV6071)

Alnp
recheck your solder work and

recheck your solder work and continuity to and from the stk's and convergence resistors for solder bridges and bad circuit traces,check solder on all other board ic's and connectors, check the whole board. some advise to replace all 12 conv resistors, they are cheap enough, because they might fail under load.

herring_usna
Thanks for such a quick

Thanks for such a quick response :)

I will do everything that you suggested and check the board all over. I will also take out and check all of the resistors in question. It is curious that the service manual says that these resistors are 6.8 ohm resistors, but they are all 2.2 ohm resistors (red red gold gold a.k.a. 2.2)

I will indeed make no changes in the service menu, until I get this board sorted out. I did check diagnostic display in the service menu, it comes up as KLN

meaning

K TELH9-205A Tuner B 1901, Small Signal Panel
L GS301 Guide Plus ASIC 7005, Guide Plus Panel
N S87652 ESI Bus Micro 7002, Rear Switch Panel

Convergence board not listed as a problem.

I hope that these are not actually broken, and this is just happening because of the convergence board.

When I turn the TV with out the convergence board plugged in at all, the picture is much worse, and it bows on the sides as well. The board must be doing something when plugged in.

herring_usna
I have desoldered and checked

I have desoldered and checked all of the resistors. The fuses are replaced now as well. I am not sure what else to check.

Alnp
there is another 9p5534 c101

there is another 9p5534 c101 thread you probably have already seen.

page 62 of the manual has a convergence flow chart that mentions some diodes to check in addition to the fuses.

this thread might help:
http://www.riddledtv.com/forums/magnavox-ptv835-whoops-t257.html

be careful in the service menu until you get the crosses moving ok, then try adjusting in the user menu first

herring_usna
Success!!! Thanks so much

Success!!! Thanks so much Alnp. I love your member photo by the way.

After following the convergence flow chart in the service manual (page 62), I found that the convergence board was receiving power, but it was not getting the -32 volts it needed from the Large Signal Board. I checked the diode and fuse related to the creation of the -32 volts, and I found the fuse was blown. I popped in a new fuse and Boom!; All fixed.

All in all, this tv took a new optical isolator, two new STKs, and two new fuses. I think think the faulty opto isolator may have been what caused all of the damage.

The simple convergence screen in the menu works nicely, but it does not get the picture quite perfect. I am thinking about reading up in the service menu on how to give it the MAJOR Convergence Tune Up.

Thanks Again Friend!

Alnp
Good job.

Good job.

Please list the part numbers of the fuses and isolator you replaced if you remember them. Did you replace all the convergence resistors, if so what value?
This info may help others with post-stk replacement convergence problems.

Have you inspected the green and blue crt's for coolant contamination?

Have you done electrical and mechanical focus?

herring_usna
I replaced:

I replaced:

The opto isolator, not sure of part number, but the chip is labeled CNW136. It is a one of a kind in the TV.

I replaced the a fuse in the convergence board, Part number 1007, a 1A 250V fuse

I also replaced a fuse on the the large signal Panel, part 1405, a 5A 250V fuse.

All of the convergence resistors were still good.

I have not inspected the coolant for contamination. Please tell me how to do so.

And, please describe to me the electrical and mechanical focus. :)

herring_usna
Oh, I also replaced the two

Oh, I also replaced the two STK 329 110s, but I wonder now if they were ever broken

Lord Crystallion
alnp I have a question what

alnp I have a question what the typical resistors on a convergence board I have a JVC av-48wp30 convergence board ssb-5051a-m2

Alnp
serge said:

serge said:
alnp I have a question what the typical resistors on a convergence board I have a JVC av-48wp30 convergence board ssb-5051a-m2

this is the wrong thread for jvc

check this :

http://www.techlore.com/forum/thread/21454/JVC-AV-48WP30-Convergence-Pro...

Loki1200
Hi guys, I have been reading

Hi guys, I have been reading your thread with great interest. I have recently obtained a 9P6444C (chassis PTV 840) with, yep a convergence issue. neither the red or the blue cross will move, I do not know how to enter the sevice menu and, from what I have read that is probably a good thing. I have however, adjusted the 6 colored knobs on the back of the set and managed to completely alter everything, I adjusted the horizontal size of the screen too using the petentiometer on the main board, the blue and green tubes both look like a micro-organism under a scope and when disassembled the blue (not done the green yet as i don't want to pull more than one tube at a time) tube has what could only be described as a sugar-like yellowish-brown crystaline substance and the oil is yellow too. I am buying some new oil and cleaniing both the blue and green tubesm, and replacing the oil. I have pulled the convergence board and am in the process of ebaying some new STK's (thanks to Dwray's extremely informative pictures of the sanyo and the fake) my questions are thus: Should I get 120's instead of 110's? how can I return the 6 knobs (2 red, 2 blue and 2 green) inside the back of the set mounted just under the lamp rack, back to original position ? and apart from the opto chip is there anything else you would check? When the board was in the colors were way off, blue was dull and the edges were bowed in (concaved). Thank you in advance for all of your contributions to this site, without whom, people like me would be lost.

Lord Crystallion
hey you should'nt move those

hey you should'nt move those knobs in the first place, just replace the stk chips I had 110 on my tv but replace them with 150 chips anyways, have alot of patience when replacing the new stk chips "take your time" I messed my last project by doing it fast im also a amateur also glad I found this website. You will find a better tech then myself in here good luck man....

Loki1200
Thanks Serge, I appreicate

Thanks Serge, I appreicate the input of an informed amatuer as much as a seasoned tech. I did not have a clue what I was doing when I played with em but i can only try to adjust em again after the new STK's are in and the tubes are cleaned and with new coolant.

Alnp
You should not have to do

You should not have to do anything in the service menu.
The 6 knobs are on the focus block. One row will be labeled focus, the other screen. Try to put them back where they were. If their positions weren't marked, set the focus row mid range initially. Turn the screen row counter-clockwise (left,down) to start. You will have to read the manual about adjusting screen voltages, and bring them up slowly watching the crt retrace lines, then later fine tune with them for grey scale balance.
Please read the first few pages of the service manual about safety precautions, and buy an isolation transformer.

Loki1200
I have also noted that two of

I have also noted that two of the three fuses (already replaced once) were non-continuous (1008 & 1007, yet 1004, which was original has continuity), I tested all the Convergence Yoke resistors and all came up good. What is an isolation Transformer for?

Loki1200
ok, well I replaced the STK's

ok, well I replaced the STK's (unfortunately they ARE fakes because the pictuire on-line looked right but it was a stock photo) I also replaced the fuses and put new clean PTV coolant in. The picture is 95% better and the convergence crosshairs will move and line up but in the second and third part of the convergence menu the very outer edges are skewed and will not line up.when watching the picture, the edges (both sides ,top and bottom) appear bowed and out of convergence. What else could I check? Also the If something on the screen should be black it appears a very very dark green. Any help would be Greatly appreciated, Thanks.

Loki1200
forgot to mention that only

forgot to mention that only the outer 2 inches seem out of convergence and the bowing lessens as the image on screen is closer to the center.

Lord Crystallion
you have to adjust the green

you have to adjust the green blue red knobs to adjust that problem good job man where did you purchase these stk chips also focus does colors

Loki1200
Thanks Serge, I got the chips

Thanks Serge, I got the chips off ebay. I have balanced out the colors already and got a fairly good picture but the bowing is annoying. you mean focus mechanically or electronically?

fixit31
Hi i have a 9p5031 ptv835.

Hi i have a 9p5031 ptv835. gr9d convergence board. My problem at first was all 3 colors was out of whack bad 3d looking center screen was fine but all outers was a mess. when trying to adjust red it would only move horizontal. blue only vertical. checked fuses resisters all good so i replaced the stk chips 110 and now cant move any crosses so i checked 1405 fuse again it had blowed so i replaced it turn tv on still same checked new 1405 it has blowed again. went over my solder work looks good no bridging put another 1405 fuse in left convergence board unplugged turn on tv checked 1405 all good turn off hooked convergence board back up blowed fuse again any suggestions

Pages

Connect With Techlore