HELP!! Erratic Samsung HL-R5067W DLP TV

134 posts / 0 new
Last post
happyscooter
well today is january 4. I am

well today is january 4. I am trying the ball of foil smashed against the dni chip. so far it has been a success. I will see how long it last and post any problems whether new or old ones. but so far it turns on and no distorted picture or green lines of any type.

Khaba
Blueskew's description on Dec

Blueskew's description on Dec 30, 2009 is dead-on. I'm having the same exact problems with my Samsung DLP. Reading other posts, I've found that unplugging the set and plugging it back in alieviates the problem for a while...inluding the green noise screens that come up for peripherals like my HDR and video game input. My DVD player is connected via HDMI and there's no noise or picture problem, but the screen freezes still (with sound continuing on as Blueskew mentioned).

Reading other posts has also made me (and many others I'm sure), realize that it's probably a digital board problem. Is there any inexpensive remedy for this? The "ball of foil against the DNI chip" method? If not, the next question is... should I get LCD or LED/LCD??

Larry Dillon
the digital board is bad and

the digital board is bad and is not cheap you might be able to find a working used one from a working set but be carefull before you buy it!!!!! you also might can try PTS corp.com but you will need the number labeled on the board itself Good Luck!!!!!
Larry Dillon.

Khaba
What's the best way to get

What's the best way to get rid of a Samsung DLP 56" TV with this problem? Since I paid around $2500 for it originally, and a tech wizard could probably put some money and elbow grease into making it as good as new, I'd love to sell it for something. Has anyone else sold theirs? Donated it? Fixed it?

Let me know!

PO'd Samsung Owner
OK? I have a Samsung HL

OK? I have a Samsung HL-s5086w. When you turn the TV on it stays on for up to 5 minutes then shuts off and all 3 lights flash at the same time. The TV cannot be turned back up and needs to be unplugged before it will power on again. I've replaced the bulb and the ballast. I'm not sure what to do now.. The picture is perfect when on. As of lately the picture turns off but there is still sound for approximatly 30 secs then the whole thing shuts off and the 3 lights begin to flash. HELP.. i purchased this TV 4yrs ago w/a 5yr warranty but lucky me the warranty company is now MIA... I'm already $200 down what's next...

Larry Dillon
sounds like the power board

sounds like the power board is intermittant.

Larry Dillon
that would be the latter of

that would be the latter of the two. but I cannot guarantee that will fix the problem, so it is your risk.

Larry D.

previd
suspect the color wheel. the

suspect the color wheel. the easiest way to check it is to turn the set on, wait for the lamp to turn on, then pull the plug and listen closely at the back of the set, wait for it, it may take 10-15 seconds for it to stop spinning, but if you hear it "grinding" to a stop, it's bad. this is a very common problem in these sets after 4-5 years.

Gary9906
Hi I have a 61 Samsung DLP. I

Hi I have a 61 Samsung DLP. I have had the lamp replaced numerous times. Its under warranty still. I dont believe its the lamp. I would love to have a broken lamp to prove my point to the service tech.

Email me at [email protected]

YaYa
I have a DLP TV Samsung model

I have a DLP TV Samsung model HL-R5067W. All the HD channels work. The channels
that aren't HD don't. I get green and black vertical lines over the whole
picture. So I turn off the set unplug it hold the power button on the front of
the TV, then plug it back in and it works for awhile. We have to do this everytime we turn the TV on. Samsung customer Service just said to call a repair
service company. I'm not employed and husband is in construction (very shaky job right now)He has already taken a 15% paycut. I don't want to spend any money
if it's going to be alot! Should I just get another TV. Geez what ever happened to the good old days when you bought a TV and it lasted for 20 to 25 years??
If someone out there has had this same problem I sure would like to know the
out come?

previd
bad digital module. very

bad digital module. very common in this set. module costs around $200.00. probably around $200.00 to install it. 2 different model #'s of this set. look on the side panel for the model tag. probably hlr5067wax/xaa. be sure to order for correct #. do not buy a used one! ps, if you get 5 years out of one of these things you're lucky. sorry.

YaYa
Thank you previd. I bought

Thank you previd. I bought this set in 2005. I don't think I want to fix it.
The module replacement might just be the start of other problems to come?

YaYa
Also I forgot to mention I

Also I forgot to mention I had the cable company out to check the cable. Thinking maybe that was the problem. The guy mentioned, "Tuner??"

YaYa
Yes that is the correct #

Yes that is the correct # HLR5067WAX/XAA.
Is it easy to install module my husband might be able to do it. Or is this just
the beginning of more problems. (you know nichel and dime us to death)

previd
as a factory authorized

as a factory authorized sevicer for these tv's, I will tell you that you can probably expect the color wheel to fail soon. you already know about the lamp cost. dlp was a neat technology but samsung and most others have quit making them in leiu of other technologies. my advice is to use it on the hdmi input until it quits. better off replacing it. if you want to replace it, the digital module is the big circuit board on the bottom of the tuner/ input block. you have to pull the light engine and electronics block out of the set. take your time and be careful not to acratch the lens or damage any cables or connectors.

Larry Dillon
well said,previd Look in the

well said,previd Look in the tech coner on this site, under the resorces tab off the home page

kenny Georgius
my picture seems to have

my picture seems to have sifted up on the screen cutting off the top of the picture, with a black line at the bottom of the screen. any suggestions on how to fix it.

Samsung HLRd
Thanks you all saved me a lot

Thanks you all saved me a lot of money I'm just going to but a new LG and call it a day

gavoc
ha ha ha lets see what

ha ha ha lets see what happens when your LED stop working! theres not much to do when they mess up!

aybills
I have a couple Samsung DLPs,

I have a couple Samsung DLPs, though different models. One had a bad "digital board" and one had a bad color wheel. I replaced both myself. Both work great now. You can find YouTube posts which guide you through it. Sounds to me like you have a bad digital board, but it's up to you if you're willing to fork over $200 on a hunch. It was a huge leap of faith for me. The color wheel was more obvious since it was screeching, which was a telltale sign. I don't know if I'd contact a service guy though. I've heard that it's not uncommon for a service technician to take a shotgun approach and replace a bunch of stuff even though it may be just one part that has failed. It's more efficient for them (and unfortunately, there's an economic incentive as well) to replace a bunch of stuff than to diagnose precisely what's failed.

Good luck!

RUBYRED
My SAMSUNG HL-R5067W just

My SAMSUNG HL-R5067W just started to turn off whenever it feels like it!! It really just started after I signed up with the local dish service. It is ashame that Samsung cant troubleshoot this!! I spent alot of $ on this TV and was told that it was one of the best from several "Well-Known" stores.
Does anyone know what the remedy is??

RUBYRED
My SAMSUNG HL-R5067W just

My SAMSUNG HL-R5067W just started to turn off whenever it feels like it!! It really just started after I signed up with the local dish service. It is ashame that Samsung cant troubleshoot this!! I spent alot of $ on this TV and was told that it was one of the best from several "Well-Known" stores.
Does anyone know what the remedy is??

Larry Dillon
RUBYRED, does the set still

RUBYRED, does the set still act the same if you use a different input such as a dvd player or a regular channel?? what input are you using on/from the sat box Larry D.

Larry Dillon
aybills, havent heard that

aybills, havent heard that word in a long time "shotgun"unfortainatly a lot of half-assed tech work like that all the time!!unfortainately authorized shops are made to purchase a board kit in a lot of cases from many manufacturer that means they need to get rid of those uncommon boards that are not used up. glad the digital board was bad and it fixed your problem. on this set I have had bad digital boards mostly the symtoms where poor pictures in different modes HDTV, mostly distorted or intermittant distorted picture while watching
HDTV AS well as poor audio in every picture mode!
Larry D.

hhnj
HLR5067W - Purchased 11/2005.

HLR5067W - Purchased 11/2005..bought a 5 year in home warranty for 475.00. Already had lamp bulp replaced for free last year. Now TV is shutting down and turning on, and this morning I unplugged it for 20 minutes. Now it won't turn on..(lamp light blinks, but no beep beep) jsut goes back to standby mode.

Placed a service call, they told me the technicians will probably take it back to their lab to fix and test, but I think the techs will suggest a replacement.

Based upon what I'm reading here, the components sound expensive, but I'm glad I bought the extended warrany. I'll post a follow up after the techs come.

Update: They replaced the bulb, vacuumed the components, then took the TV to the repair shop. They replaced the main circuit board. Everything was covered under the warranty. TV works fine now..so hopefully I get another 3-4 years out of it.

Debus04
HLS6167 - Purchased about 4

HLS6167 - Purchased about 4 years ago. It comes on for about 30 seconds. The color is good, gets to full brightness and then shuts off. Then display the flash 3 indicators (Standby/temp, Timer, and Lamp), which per the manual is the sign for a bad bulb. I have replaced the bulb, tried a second replacement bulb (incase the first was bad), then replaced the color wheel. It still exhibits the same behavior.

Sould I try the Ballast next?

PO'd Samsung Owner
Mine had the exact same issue

Mine had the exact same issue and i chnaged thebulb, then power supply to no avail. Finally i changed the color wheel and it works perfect. Good luck.

rebels man
I have a Samsung model HL

I have a Samsung model HL-R5067W for less than 4 years and suddenly, the picture has multiple green verticle lines running through the picture. I have had the cable company out and it is NOT the cable system as it works fine with a different tv. Any ideas?

previd
Bad digital board. Try it on

Bad digital board. Try it on the hdmi input

gotorbbad
i got one of these tv out of

i got one of these tv out of the trash changed the color wheel worked great ever since my sister just gave me one it shuts down after 15 min i get the three blinking lights all i have to do is push the button and it comes back on with out unplugging it my friend at work had his bulb changed and then it still was shutting down and the tech came out and ran a jumper wire from the switch on the light door to some where but he said that switch goes bad

Pages

Connect With Techlore