HELP!! Erratic Samsung HL-R5067W DLP TV

134 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sean O
HELP!! Erratic Samsung HL-R5067W DLP TV

I have a Samsung HL-R5067W DLP TV for over 2 years. The first year the TV worked great. But ever since we moved, the TV started to be erratic. Sometimes (more oftern now than before) the TV will not turn on with a low humming sound and flashing "LAMP" light. During this time the TV won't turn off with either remote or panel button. Eventually in a minute or 2 it will shut down itself. However when the TV did start, the picture quality was great and normal.

I changed the lamp and the ballast, but things remained the same. From other threads, it doesn't seem like a color wheel problem. I even openned the TV up to check the color wheel and didn't find it deformed or scratched.

Help!!!! 

CharlieBrown
A little explanation first- 

A little explanation first-  this model (as do most Samsung DLP sets) will try 3 times to get the lamp lit before the microprocessor will give up and then the 3 lites on the front will blink indicating a LAMP failure.  This process takes about 1 to 2 minutes.  In order of probabilty, the failures are:

1) A faulty lamp and/or ballast.  REPLACE LAMP AND/OR BALLAST

However, a faulty lamp and/or ballast are not the only things that will give this blink code- 

2) If the color wheel has a bad bearing and turns too slow or not at all, the microprocessor WILL NOT let the lamp light, and then give a LAMP blink code.  A bad color wheel will normally have some sort of abnormal sound- a low growl or high pitched whine is common.   REPLACE COLOR WHEEL

3) ALSO, if the microprocessor (on the DMD board) in its color wheel rotation detection or processing fails, once again the lamp is prevented from coming on and you get a LAMP blink code. REPLACE DMD BOARD

IF THE SET EVER COMES ON WITH A PICTURE for even a fraction of a second or though it takes many tries, the lamp and ballast are good.  The problem must be either the color wheel or DMD board.

Larry Dillon
Wecome CharlieBrown, seems

Wecome CharlieBrown, seems your the man for Samsung TV sets.

Sean O
Thanks a lot for replying my

Thanks a lot for replying my questions, CharlieBrown. I'm going to follow your instructions and will post again how things work afterwards.

Sean O
Finally I got the color wheel

Finally I got the color wheel after it was backordered for a month. However the set is still not running. From the manual I bought it can only means the DMD board is broken, which is close to 500 bucks. I think I'm done with this TV. It's heading to the recycle station soon.

danielsau
Sean O - would you mind

Sean O - would you mind providing any details on where you located the repair manual? My set is doing exactly the same thing, hoping to be able to fix it with a new color wheel - any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Larry Dillon
You can get a repair or

You can get a repair or service manual from here. http://www.servicemanuals.net/results.aspx?type=SM&brand=0&model=HL-R5067W
Good luck

Doc Holliday
CharlieBrown said: A little

CharlieBrown said: A little explanation first-  this model (as do most Samsung DLP sets) will try 3 times to get the lamp lit before the microprocessor will give up and then the 3 lites on the front will blink indicating a LAMP failure.  This process takes about 1 to 2 minutes.  In order of probabilty, the failures are: 1) A faulty lamp and/or ballast.  REPLACE LAMP AND/OR BALLAST However, a faulty lamp and/or ballast are not the only things that will give this blink code-  2) If the color wheel has a bad bearing and turns too slow or not at all, the microprocessor WILL NOT let the lamp light, and then give a LAMP blink code.  A bad color wheel will normally have some sort of abnormal sound- a low growl or high pitched whine is common.   REPLACE COLOR WHEEL 3) ALSO, if the microprocessor (on the DMD board) in its color wheel rotation detection or processing fails, once again the lamp is prevented from coming on and you get a LAMP blink code. REPLACE DMD BOARD IF THE SET EVER COMES ON WITH A PICTURE for even a fraction of a second or though it takes many tries, the lamp and ballast are good.  The problem must be either the color wheel or DMD board.

Please help my green light and red standby lights blink, no picture, this just started

after I moved TV? Same model

Doc Holliday
Larry Dillon said: Wecome

Larry Dillon said: Wecome CharlieBrown, seems your the man for Samsung TV sets.

I've tried to join and never get an e-mail validation. My samsung just stopped working, green light and red standby light flash all the time, no picture? It started right after I had to unplug.

hl-5067w

And help appreciated scott ([email protected])

Larry L
Is the lamp ballast included

Is the lamp ballast included in the lamp assy that is comonly replaced (black box)?

danielsau
I've had a problem with our

I've had a problem with our HL-R5067W model, where it turns on, shows picture correctly for 5-10 seconds, then freezes and restarts. It will do this, over and over, until I finally pull the plug on it.

The lamp does light up, no problem. The colors were correct before, but I just replaced the color wheel successfully, so that wasn't the issue (I assume at least, but there was no damage to the old or new color wheel).

Anyone else ever had this behavior? Anyone have a suggestion? I'm thinking that I need to replace either the DMD board or ballast, but didn't want to just guess randomly...

THANKS!

BretNic
Danielsau, I have the same

Danielsau, I have the same exact problem. And once it starts doing it I can not even get the TV to turn off without unplugging it. This just started tonight and I have no idea what is causing it. If you find out what is wrong please post it.

danielsau
BretNic, interesting that you

BretNic, interesting that you are having the same issue - it has been frustrating for me. What model do you have?

I have actually now replaced the lamp, color wheel, ballast and DMD board, with no affect whatsoever...the last piece that I can think of is the power board, and beyond that, it is probably off to that great tv heaven in the sky...sorry to say.

I should have the power board in my hands in the next day or two, and will post the results.

I will say that I am fairly confident that my case is a power-related issue, since we were having other power concerns before - for example, the set would power on, but once we powered it on once and turned it off, we would need to pull the plug to get it to turn on again...

Larry L
This is a good example of why

This is a good example of why, after researching this problem, I decided to donated my DLP TV to Goodwill. At some point I had to admit I made a mistake buying this Samsung DLP TV and it is not going to be reliable enough to sink any more $$ into.-- If you read the forums it becomes pretty obvious. If I had it to do all over again (because I did get 4yrs good service) I would have immediately bought a couple of box fans and installed them inside the chassis to exhaust more of the heat caused by that lamp as heat really kills electronic components over time. I put the $700 or so it would have cost to fix my old set and purchased a new Samsung HL-T5687SX LED DLP. It has an eye popping picture and much longer life with the 3 color LED lamps rather than the single bulb + it has no color wheel to worry about and it is true 1080 resolution.

Larry L
danielsau said:

danielsau said:
BretNic, interesting that you are having the same issue - it has been frustrating for me. What model do you have?
I have actually now replaced the lamp, color wheel, ballast and DMD board, with no affect whatsoever...the last piece that I can think of is the power board, and beyond that, it is probably off to that great tv heaven in the sky...sorry to say.
I should have the power board in my hands in the next day or two, and will post the results.
I will say that I am fairly confident that my case is a power-related issue, since we were having other power concerns before - for example, the set would power on, but once we powered it on once and turned it off, we would need to pull the plug to get it to turn on again...

I forgot on my post---mine was a 51" HL-P5063WX/XAA

Good luck with yours!

danielsau
So - I replaced the PCB board

So - I replaced the PCB board (primary power supply) and, no change, the exact same symptoms -

So far, I've replaced -
- Lamp
- Color Wheel
- Ballast
- DMD Board
- PCB Power Supply

An so far, nothing has caused any change on the set...but I guess the good thing is that I haven't made it any worse.

I'd love to hear if anyone has any other thoughts - I might consider trying the Digital Board or Optical Engine, depending on the cost, or just cut my losses and move on...

THANKS!

BretNic
Sorry Dans, I have a HL

Sorry Dans, I have a HL-R5067W. I have a Tech coming out tomorrow to look at the set. I will keep you posted on what he says. If he wants to replace the Light Engine, I am going to have to say Bye Bye to the set. It is ashame too, when working correctly, the picture is beautiful.

BretNic
The Tech Guy just left and he

The Tech Guy just left and he says that the DMD needs to be replaced. According to him, that is part of the Light Engine and is only $100 cheaper than replacing the Light Engine ($1190). So, looks like my TV is going away. Already lookin for my new set.

danielsau
BretNic,

BretNic,

Just a heads-up - I replaced the DMD board on mine, and it didn't solve the issue...so if your symptoms are the same as mine (and it sounds like they are) you may want to wait a couple of days before buying that new set...I have a tech coming out next week, I'm interested to see what he has to say.

And if you're interested - a new DMD board can be bought for about $425 from partstore.com, and I have the service manual on how to install it.

Enjoy

tsstein
I am sorry to hear so many

I am sorry to hear so many people are having the same problem as I am. Our tv worked for about a year to the day when our lamp and ballast went bad. Samsung replaced it then two months later tv shut off with same error, we thought the lamp was bad again and we just had another tech come out to check our HLR5067W and now he is saying it is the color wheel $500.00 to repair. We have to wait 2 weeks for the part, so we will see. I will post once we get the tech back out.

klee
After replacing the lamp, the

After replacing the lamp, the TV turned on and worked great for about 1-2minutes. Then, a whoozing sound was followed by a shutdown sound, then all three lights started to blink; then the TV shut off. Is this an indication that the color wheel is bad or that the lamp was not replaced correctly (i.e. the lamp and lamp engine are not securely connected, etc.)?

WitsEnd
I wonder if anybody can help.

I wonder if anybody can help.

My neighbor bought a new tv and gave me her old Samsung HLN437W for free. It worked great for her, never a problem. I drove it 1/4 mile back to my house, and I have the issue where it won't always turn on and I end up with the three blinking lights. Unplugging it for a bit will eventually work... for a while. I've replaced the lamp, ballast and color wheel. Anybody have any other ideas? I hate to take it to a shop... this free TV has cost me $300 already :) and I'm ready to drop-kick it.

Thanks for any advice!

281SC
I have sort of the same

I have sort of the same situation as above- I have a HLP4663 that never gave me one bit of problem- matter of fact I would guess TV has less than 100 hours on it.

I built a new home, so DLP and other stuff was put in storage..I moved the TV myself so I know nothing was dropped, etc.

Plug it in..standy light is on, but pushing the pwr button on the remote or front panel will not power TV up. No fan comes on, no color wheel movement, no light...nothing. Looking into TV, I checked fuse on pwr baord, and there is a small green light is illuminated.

I am guessing its the pwr board? How can I check it to see if thats the problem?

WitsEnd
The power board occurred to

The power board occurred to me as well, but no idea how to test it. A new one is over $200, so I'm not gonna get one just to try it :) I've seen sites selling the *service* manual, but that is way beyond my abilities!

281SC
WitsEnd said: The power board

WitsEnd said: The power board occurred to me as well, but no idea how to test it. A new one is over $200, so I'm not gonna get one just to try it :) I've seen sites selling the *service* manual, but that is way beyond my abilities!

My power board is only 85 bucks, so I'm thinking that would be the price of a service call anyways.

Looks very easy to install with 4 connectors.

WitsEnd
Well, I sure hope it works

Well, I sure hope it works for you. Good luck! Let me know if that fixes your problem.

I've figured out that if the color wheel will start up then the tv will turn on. Since the color wheel is new, it seems logical that the next up-stream element is the power supply and it must be flaky.

Therion
My SAM HLR5067w Is acutualy

My SAM HLR5067w Is acutualy working really well... at the moment....
My problem is that after a couple hours of being on the picture will go black. I still have sound and can hear the fans running but no picture at all! Some times I can turn it off and the right back on and it works fine again, other times I takes a few mins be for I get picture again. It never seems to happen repeatedly in a day or even a week its every few months or so and then goes away. My Extended warranty expires in January 09 any idea?
Thanks in advance for your help!

mxxmikexx
Well I guess I will join this

Well I guess I will join this Broken Samsung DLP

mxxmikexx
dont know why it didnt post

dont know why it didnt post my question but anyway... I have almost the same exact problem as SEAN O only my problem started after a thunderstorm and the power going out. Now every once in awhile when i try to turn on my TV the lamp will lite, but picture will not come on and the lamp indicator on the front of the set will flash for about 45 seconds and then shut off. the set will eventually turn on after MANY attempts of turning it on (im talking like 50 trys) once the set turns on it works fine from anywhere to a few days to a few weeks until it will act up again. Does this sound like a power supply problem?

arielokinawa
I too have an HL-R5067W, that

I too have an HL-R5067W, that is almost 2 years old. I just replaced the lamp in July, and now the TV won't turn on all the time; it shuts itself off periodically, and sometimes it take 20-30 minutes of letting it 'warm up' before it comes on. I chatted with a Samsung rep on their site, and they told me that the lamp fan needs to be replaced. I am pricing this repair with local TV repair shops...will update once I have had some one look at the set, and let me know what they suggest.

mxxmikexx
where did you find online

where did you find online tech support on their site? i just found email tech support?

Pages

Connect With Techlore