KV-35XRB88 Will Not Turn On

38 posts / 0 new
Last post
IDOXLR8
KV-35XRB88 Will Not Turn On

I have a SONY Trinitron Color TV KV-35XBR88 that will not power up.  What step by step should I do to figure out the problem?  The unit was playing fine then for no reason just shut off and will not turn on,  any ideas,  resets?  Thanks!!   AL.

Larry Dillon
Sorry man, I will have to do

Sorry man, I will have to do some research on this one. I do not even have the service manual. I will ask a friend if they have it. Give me till after the holidays and get back to me just to remind me please. Merry Christmas.

IDOXLR8
Larry,  super!  Thanks for

Larry,  super!  Thanks for your follow up and have a great Christmas!  AL

IDOXLR8
I got a response froma

I got a response froma another forum......  there a few things that can go faulty one is the vert ic 501,Q601,Q602,also check caps on B+ and B- lines,and,flyback, and resolder all aroud the high voltage circuit.

Since I have pulled the power supply board and have not seen anything that stands out,  AL.

IDOXLR8
On a Sony KV-35XBR88 if I do

On a Sony KV-35XBR88 if I do not hear a relay click on turn on wouldn't this tell me the problem is in the power supply board?  AL.

Larry Dillon
you should get a click, but

you should get a click, but that is not for the power relay, that would be for the deguassing relay. If your not getting that, I would first check the standby power supply. I found a serviuce manual.  Tell me where to send it and I will be happy to share it with you. You problem probably lies on the G board. That is Low Voltage standby power supply.

IDOXLR8
You solved one other problem

You solved one other problem on our big screen with a blinking green light and should still have our address (wifes user name LEDAY) and will forward it to you PM mail.  I see the is a "G" on the power supply board so here may be the problem?  I'll get some drtails a little later on the check out on the "G" board,  Thanks for your excellent follow up!  AL.

leday
Hi Larry

Hi Larry

I note my husband didn't give the email address to send the info to above.  Please send it to [email protected].  Again, thanks for all your help and have a good holiday!

Larry Dillon
I forwarded it to his but I

I forwarded it to his but I will also send you a copy. Good Luck

IDOXLR8
I guess I will need a few

I guess I will need a few pointers on checking a power supply board.  Is this something that is check out out of the set?  AL.

IDOXLR8
CN 643 on the board has a

CN 643 on the board has a interconnect wire from the G board but I see no connection in the curcuit board itself to support this wire going to another board,  AL. 

IDOXLR8
I didn't see any red flags

I didn't see any red flags like any burning smell,  blown fuses,  water damage,  just some wires not pluged in at all.  Put everything where it belonged and it's still doesn't work.  The only thing I see is a small arc when pluged in at the plug showing me the caps are taking in some voltage,  AL.

IDOXLR8
Larry, would I burn the G

Larry, would I burn the G board up if powered up not wired to the TV to make voltage checks? AL.

IDOXLR8
I think I've been enough of a

I think I've been enough of a PITA and will get rid of this set and take a big loss,  AL.

Larry Dillon
Al, nope your not a PIA at

Al, nope your not a PIA at all. How will you take a big loss? I thought you found this set? And you did save big time on the Mitsubishi.

IDOXLR8
 Larry,  thanks for the words

Larry,  thanks for the words of encouragement!  Saving money on the big screen?   Big Time!  And couldn't have pulled it off with out your help.  As far a the Sony,  I paid $99.00 for it but drove over 600 miles (round trip) and down 13 steps stairs to get it.  I know you say why!!  I really like the design of this set.  Okay I'll go out in the morning and read voltages,  and report back.  It concerned me that the company you referred me wanted all the boards before they would repair mine.  I'm out of my comfort zone working around high power caps and would need more information on discharge procedures.  Being in auto/heavy fleet repair line (30 years) I know knowledge is power and working safe to me is #1.  

You said using a strap around the screen,  didn't see that,  will look again.  Would the neg side at the power plug still be a suitable ground?  I'm not going to put the cart in front of the horse but if I find a problem with the voltages I will still have a bad power board and nowhere to get a replacement unless you have some ideas on this,  thanks for your super follow up!  AL.   
Larry Dillon
Not a problem at all man.

Not a problem at all man. There should be a wire with a strap/ spring or a metal sheild around the bell of the picture tube. the bell is the large portion of the tube. Also the tuner sheild is also a good ground to use. If the set has not be on for a while, i really would nor worry too much about the voltage being on the capacitors.

IDOXLR8
I did a votage check and got

I did a votage check and got nothing.  Know I had a good ground showing 115volts comming in.  Now what?  AL.

Larry Dillon
Al. I did a little more

Al. I did a little more research on this model and this G board is a very common problem with this set. One more check will tell you if this board is bad or not. Check pin 8 on the plug CN641. If you have no 5 volts there when the set is plugged in, that power supply is bad. I spoke with someone at Tristate module and they told me they can repair and do the modifications on this board for $69.95 as long as the board does not have any missing parts. I am told a new board would cost about 300 bucks and is no longer available.  Hopefully that is the only fault with the TV. There really is no way to tell without fixing this G board first I'm afraid. Tristates phone number is 1-800-203-7484.

IDOXLR8
I just got off the phone with

I just got off the phone with them and they did say they talked to you and said they can fix it,  AL.

Larry Dillon
Yep, That was me they spoke

Yep, That was me they spoke to. It depends on if you want to take the chance that is the only problem. It is a good bet it is, but like I said before, it is hard to tell without doing it first.

IDOXLR8
The lady said you were one

The lady said you were one number off Laughing,  this is a A-1316-324-A .  So you found this is a common problem on this model?  Is there anything esle to look for?  AL.

Larry Dillon
Not according to the service

Not according to the service manual. That's where I took the number from but they all are about the same. They do have a few different changes on the board. You really need to make sure that board is bad by looking for the 5 volts I told you about first.

IDOXLR8
You said 5 volts,  where

You said 5 volts,  where would I look for this?  The wire harness that comes off another board to the G board?  There is a one check point on the G board that has 5v on it is this where to check it?

Larry Dillon
I sent it in the e-mail Al,

I sent it in the e-mail Al, on connector CN641 pin number 8 should have the 5 volts on it, pin 7 should have the 20 volts on it when you hit the power switch, the pins 5 and 6 should have 9 volts when you hit the power button.

IDOXLR8
So in short I'm looking for

So in short I'm looking for 5volts at pin 8 on connector CN641?  That pin is marked "STBY".  If I don't have 5 volts there the power board is bad?

IDOXLR8
I'm going to recheck pin 8

I'm going to recheck pin 8 for 5 volts.  That is strange on the part numbers on the board,  AL.

Larry Dillon
The G board is not working

The G board is not working then. Board is bad. You need that 5 volts there to power the microprocessor IC so the buttons will turn on the set. The standby means that is the standby power supply voltage that I mentioned a few threads ago

IDOXLR8
I have the power suppy board

I have the power suppy board boxed up and ready to go to Tri-state Module Inc.  I'll keep your posted,  Thanks!  AL.

IDOXLR8
Does anyone know the
Does anyone know the difference between a A-1316-324-A and a A-1316-323-A ?
The manual shows a  KV-35XBR88 TV using the A-1316-323-A and the set had a
A-1316-324-A G board in it.  I looked at the board close and it looks like
someone had marked a 3 over the 4 on the board with a marker.  I was going
to sent this board out for repair and now worried about if they repair the
board thinking its a 324 and should be a 323 board.  Can anyone chime in on
this?   AL.
IDOXLR8
Larry,  when you get a chance

Larry,  when you get a chance please read my last post.  I see you are correct on the Board part number and having a different number consurns me.  You and others have told me not to worry about the black ground wire (if that is what it is) that comes from a another board,  well this makes no sense as Sony had this ground wire (if that is what it is) connecting the boards for a reason and the G board I took out has been out at one point and looks to have been repaired.  As I posted earlier I took a close look at the G board I took out and shows no connecting curuits to this grounding pin (if that is what it is)(CN643),  AL.

Pages

Connect With Techlore