Convergence Sony

37 posts / 0 new
Last post
jayemmess
Convergence Sony

I have a KP-53XBR300 and yesterday it made a little clicking/popping sound and then the convergence for red was off. Green and blue are still perfect but red is shifted to the right. I tried the flash focus w/o success and then followed Larry's great description how to work in the service mode. However, I may have missed how to switch the colors - I can converge the green (it looks like it's smack center) but I can't get to red or blue. Any suggestions? Thanks: Joerg :)

zapdbf
It sounds like your

It sounds like your convergence ic's are failing. If your flash focus will not correct it. you are most likely looking at this repair

joeP.
Thanks - is there one IC for

Thanks - is there one IC for each color? If so are they all on one board? Only the red is off. I think that maybe what I will need to do down the line. But I wanted to first try the factory setting for the convergence. But I don't have a service manual or the convergence manual that I would need. I followed the instructions by Larry but I can only do green at the moment and I need to know how to switch to red.

zapdbf
I think what you are going to

I think what you are going to find out is that the red won't move. When doing this repair you should change both ic's there are two of them. I  you lock the cursor then hit the 9 key or 6 i can never seem to remember which one,  this changes the colors you are adjusting, the cursor will change color.

joeP.
Great - thanks - it must be

Great - thanks - it must be the 6 because the 9 just changes it to white (fine adjustment off I think). I will try that and then look to replace the ICs - any suggestion where to get those and where to find out how to replace them?

joeP.
I am no longer so sure I have

I am no longer so sure I have a convergence problem. I got to the red convergence fine adjustment square and it is basically dead center (it's slightly to the right of the others but not so you could move it with the joystick into the correct position. The weird thing is when you turn the grid on the blue and green grid has perfect squares. The red grid has squares in the middle of the screen where the red convergence square is located but when you go to the right the squares get wider and wider and no longer are squares but instead are rectangles. Any idea what that means?

zapdbf
That is a convergence problem

That is a convergence problem, can you move the squares off to the side and line it up with the blue and green squares, if not, the convergence ic's have failed

joeP.
After I hit the 9 I can use

After I hit the 9 I can use the 1 and 4 buttons to move the red square, but it only moves in relatively big steps clockwise inward or counterclockwise outwards. Do you have access to a convergence manual? I think maybe I am missing a step in the convergence procedure because when you hit 9 I think that is the fine adjustment and maybe I need to do the "rough" adjustment first, but I haven't found that button yet.

zapdbf
There is no fine or coarse

There is no fine or coarse adjustment mode on Sony convergence. I have worked literally on 100’s of these.  If the convergence was good one day, and a portion of any color was all of the sudden way off the next. You have had a failure somewhere in the convergence circuit.  This means that the; DCU, or the Power Supply, or the Convergence ic’s, Have failed.  If your problem was just slightly off over several weeks or months, then yes it is component wear and adjustment will bring it back into play. But to have one so badly off this does not happen in a good set. I wish I could give you the manual but our contract with Sony will not allow this. I work for a Sony factory authorized service center. Now, in the history of this problem with the exception of maybe two cases, it has been the convergence ic’s that has failed.  I have had a couple where the DCU has failed. In many cases when the Convergence ic’s fail it may take out some fuses on the “G” board.  I have never seen the power supply on the “G” board directly fail to cause this problem, but there is always a first. “If you see a zebra walking down the road, you going to  call it a horse” but replacing the ic’s  is the first thing I would do in an attempt to repair this set.  If the adjustment won’t align it, there is a failure somewhere. This is not like a computer where changing or adjusting the software will normally fix a problem.  The television bios is not made by Microsoft, and it has only one purpose. It does not have a huge operating system with millions of configurations to interfere with it’s operation.  The software was specifically designed for that model of television. Other than the ram being corrupted and unplugging the set to cause it to re-load the software. If this doesn’t fix your tv it is in need of physical repair. (in some cases I have had to make software updates, but never for this problem)

zapdbf
Also after hearing clicking

Also after hearing clicking or popping sounds,  that sounds like to me some component has failed. Adjustment is not an option if a part has failed. it will not temporarily fix your problem.

joeP.
Thanks so much for the

Thanks so much for the detailed answer - where do I get the part number of this component and where is a good place to get one?

zapdbf
you need 2 stk392-020 try mcm

you need 2 stk392-020 try mcm electronics. Before you purchace them check the yellow fuses around these two ic's on the "D" board, and check the yellow fuses on "G" board.

joeP.
Thanks - they have them.

Thanks - they have them. Would it be easier to buy the whole board? Also, this may be a real stupid question but any hint on how I identify which one is the D and the G board?

cyndi
lol, i went through that one

lol, i went through that one yesterday.... the one that is a G board has a big G on it, same goes for the D Smile

joeP.
OK, I found the ICs and the

OK, I found the ICs and the fuse on the G board - but for the life of me I can't find the trwo fuses on the D board. Are they just standard little fuses? 

zapdbf
there is more than two on "D"

there is more than two on "D" board normaly, but they very by model, the fuses, including the one on the "G" board are yellow and look like resistors, they are not glass at all you have to use a meter to see if they are blown.

joeP.
I may have been looking for

I may have been looking for the wrong thing for those fuses. Do you know the part numbers for all 3 fuses - I'll just order them with the ICs and then have them

joeP.
OK, I feel pretty dumb -

OK, I feel pretty dumb - found the uses, one was blown - thanks!!!

zapdbf
Cool! that is proof positive

Cool! that is proof positive that the convergence ic's are bad.

joeP.
Yes, thanks - you are super!!

Yes, thanks - you are super!!! I will get everything and put it in, but may still need help with getting things re-adjusted. I will be back then. Thanks again!!!

joeP.
OK, I am back - I have looked

OK, I am back - I have looked on the net for the 3.15 A fuses that are on this board (they are labeled 3150) - the closest I can find is 3A or 3.5A - will either of these do? If not, where can I get the 3.15 A fuses?

zapdbf
3.5 is fine i use 4 Amp never

3.5 is fine i use 4 Amp never use a fuse that is lower than the rated value, and close as you can get to the correct value.

joeP.
 cool - I bought some 3.5Amps

Wink cool - I bought some 3.5Amps - I'll let you know how the saga unfolds

joeP.
I got the parts and put them

I got the parts and put them in and oddly enough it works just perfect - no converging seems to be needed it was right on when I turned it on. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zapdbf
Good! somtimes you get lucky

Good! somtimes you get lucky and don't need to converge it.

tim
Can someone also send me a

Can someone also send me a service manual? Email: silvrfocus at gmail . com

Also, I am having a simliar problem and I have tried replacing both the ICs.  This didn't help.  I need to check the fuses still.  Does anyone know where I can buy replacement fuses?  

Thanks! 

zapdbf
www.partstore.com or mcm

www.partstore.com or mcm electronics

rishi23
I have kp61v75 projection tv.

I have kp61v75 projection tv. Couple of weeks ago, convergence is out of line. But, it comes back to normal on its own for couple of days and again out of line for couple of days. Seems as if there is something loose. I opened the tv from the back there are two big circuit boards in the back side by side. Can you please advise, how to fix the problem.

zapdbf
Sounds like you have bad

Sounds like you have bad solder joints on the stk ic's on d board, solder them.

rishi23
There is no board with D

There is no board with D written on it. But I can see the two stk392-150 ICs on a large board. I will try to flip over the board and solder them. I will let you know what happens.

Thanks.

rishi23
My sony tv has A and G board

My sony tv has A and G board and the stk ic are on G board. I checked all the solders are good. Then I went into service mode as per instructions and reset the colors and my tv is back to normal.

Thanks

Pages

Connect With Techlore