Sony Bravia KLV-40U100M Turns off and then back on while watching program

213 posts / 0 new
Last post
Cbp
I have been having the same

I have been having the same problem for two months. Turns off and back on again. Then this morning it would not power on. No warranty! What can I do? Will sony not fix this since all these people have the same problem?

replace the two diodes on the G board. two diodes D6116 and D6301???????????????????????? How do you get these and how do you put them on? Please help!!

JESUS MARTINEZ
I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM klv

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM klv 40u100m
whats the part name and where do i order from

j4bs
Hi the part is the A board. I

Hi the part is the A board. I had a hard time finding it so I ended up having to order it directly from Sony. It ended up being $230. or so after shipping. Mine had no power light at all no signs of life whatsoever. I'm assuming that's also your problem? The part # is either 715T1723-J or 1-789-465-21 same part 2 #'s on it. I just checked for you there's one on Ebay right now they claim it is a working board and they want $130 or best offer for it plus shipping. If you really like the tv it might be worth it to get a brand new one from Sony for $100 more because these models are infamous for this bad board, might not be worth having to do it all over again soon for $100.

Cbp
Sony want replace it? I mean

Sony want replace it? I mean it looks like it's a common problem with these..

j4bs
I fully agree that they

I fully agree that they should replace it I'm sure by now every one of these specific models have already died or had the board replaced, but they would not do anything because mine was a mid 2006 tv, way out of warranty. I was amazed they were willing to sell the consumer an internal part, most companies won't even think about it. You might be able to yell and scream enough that they agree to do it just to shut you up, it's worth a try. Otherwise they're not going to cover it. It is a fairly simple swap out if you did want to do it yourself. Once the back panel is off you have full access to the board without having to take any other boards out. The one problem I did have is that when I re-installed it I tried to go underneath the whole metal shield with the backlight inverter harness instead of just drooping it across the boards in the front. Big mistake I must of spliced one of the wires on the inverter harness by mistake and let me tell you early 4th of July in my living room. That thing literally shorted out so bad then arched off the metal so bad that it actually left black marks on the metal. I could not see any cuts in any of the wires but it must of been the problem because I wrapped the harness in more electrical tape than you'd imagine and it was fine after that. So just be careful and don't try to re-route the wires to make it look neat and you should be fine changing it out yourself. The good thing about Sony is that if that part does not solve your problem they will accept the return and credit you in full for the part.

joed
Same here, I'm done with SONY

Same here, I'm done with SONY products..
My KLV-40U100M lasted @ 14 months ....just past the warranty..It finally died and now I have to replace the PWBA board at a cost of @ 240..what a rip off.

Anyone know how to get this thing apart or any tips on replacing the maine board.
Regards
-joe

Flashlight Guy
Does anyone who if the defect

Does anyone who if the defect has been removed from the replacement boards, or should we expect the problem to repeat?
I had written about a month ago that my 32 Sony with the same problem had suddenly been working fine for three months straight. Then one day my three year old set would no longer come on at all. For $549 I decided to replace it with a 37" Vizio with 1080p. What a great TV! Good-by SONY.

j4bs
Joed...did you already buy

Joed...did you already buy the board for $240? Right after I bought mine for $240 I ended up finding a good one on Ebay for $75. It is easy to replace, just take off the back cover and it's only a few screws holding the board on. Just be careful with the wiring harnesses, especially the ones to the backlight inverter, I ended up breaking the corner of the clip and had to position it in a way where it was jammed in just to stay clipped in.Sony says it's a brand new board, but the first brand new board didn't last very long so it's probably a smart idea to do what the next guy...flashlight guy did, he bought a brand new Vizio. I do tv repair for a living and I also buy dead sets, fix them and sell them. The only brand worse than Sony is Polaroid. I have had more dead Polaroids than anything but Sony's are the #2 brand to die to you from my experience. The problem with Sony's is that the newer sets have a lot more internal components than any other brands I've worked on, which is just one extra board that can fail. Most tv's have a power supply, inverters, main board, and lcd controller. Sony has a few more than that inside the newer sets. They don't have a better picture than other name brands it's not worth spending the extra money to own a Sony. If I was going to buy a new tv, let's say I had $800 to spend, I'd buy a cheaper sale priced Samsung over a Sony anyday. Samsung's warranty support is excellent, they do stand by their products, plus when warranty is about to expire they notify you and give you the option to extended it for only about $40. a yr which is directly through Samsung not a 3rd party. The brands with the least amount of dead sets are Lg and Panasonic, they usually last a long time, more likely to find one with a broken screen than a dead board. I'm just posting that info for anyone that reads this forum because you're going to spend the $240 for that board, as soon as it works again you might want to put it on Craigslist because the original only lasted about a yr, I wouldn't imagine you have much more than that with your replacement board.

joed
Hello, Yes, I just ordered it

Hello, Yes, I just ordered it today...I'm hoping a new rev boad from sony will be of better quality..but I'm probably dreaming. I'll try it and hopefully It will last a few years.

Thanks for the info..

BTW..should I lay the unit down screen side down to remove the back panel..? 

Regards

-joe

j4bs said:
Joed...did you already buy the board for $240? Right after I bought mine for $240 I ended up finding a good one on Ebay for $75. It is easy to replace, just take off the back cover and it's only a few screws holding the board on. Just be careful with the wiring harnesses, especially the ones to the backlight inverter, I ended up breaking the corner of the clip and had to position it in a way where it was jammed in just to stay clipped in.Sony says it's a brand new board, but the first brand new board didn't last very long so it's probably a smart idea to do what the next guy...flashlight guy did, he bought a brand new Vizio. I do tv repair for a living and I also buy dead sets, fix them and sell them. The only brand worse than Sony is Polaroid. I have had more dead Polaroids than anything but Sony's are the #2 brand to die to you from my experience. The problem with Sony's is that the newer sets have a lot more internal components than any other brands I've worked on, which is just one extra board that can fail. Most tv's have a power supply, inverters, main board, and lcd controller. Sony has a few more than that inside the newer sets. They don't have a better picture than other name brands it's not worth spending the extra money to own a Sony. If I was going to buy a new tv, let's say I had $800 to spend, I'd buy a cheaper sale priced Samsung over a Sony anyday. Samsung's warranty support is excellent, they do stand by their products, plus when warranty is about to expire they notify you and give you the option to extended it for only about $40. a yr which is directly through Samsung not a 3rd party. The brands with the least amount of dead sets are Lg and Panasonic, they usually last a long time, more likely to find one with a broken screen than a dead board. I'm just posting that info for anyone that reads this forum because you're going to spend the $240 for that board, as soon as it works again you might want to put it on Craigslist because the original only lasted about a yr, I wouldn't imagine you have much more than that with your replacement board.

j4bs
From what I remember you can

From what I remember you can actually remove the back cover while it's still on the stand which is much easier. If I'm wrong then yes you need to lay it face down, but make sure it's on a flat even surface so the weight rests on the bezel not the screen. Good Luck

RHJ
Hi,

Hi,

I'm in portugal and have tried and failed :( to replace the diodes. so my 32" sony still switches on for just 3 mins and then goes off and flash's 9 times.
there is no sony repair place here so i took it to a panasonic repair place and they have been unable to get the part or fix it, and they've had it almost 2 months so think i'll have to buy a new TV. Unless anyone else has any better ideas?

Rick B
Larry,

Larry,
My set has back lights, green power light, and thru a laptop sound.
No menu or display.
I thought from all I have read my problem would be the "A" board
715T1723-J.
Do you think the diodes could be bad on mine?
Klv-40u100M

Thanks..........

Rick B
Well I dont have those diodes

Well I dont have those diodes,but then I have the G2 board.
Tested all diodes test ok.All caps test ok with esr meter.
I think I need the A board.
Where is the best place to get one? and now much?
Anyone know what is going bad on the a boards???

j4bs
Rick B,

Rick B,
Is your set turning off or just not displaying a picture at all? I'm pretty sure the people with the problem A boards all have power on issues, not loss of picture. I have dealt with a lot of Bravia's and when there's no menu, no picture etc it's usually always the lcd controller. If that end up being what you need let me know, I have an extra good one here.

Rick B
j4bs

j4bs
No display,no menu etc. I do have a power light back lights and sound.
I thought the lcd controller was on the A board.

j4bs
Rick B

Rick B

No the A board is basically what every other company calls the main board. That tv is pretty simple for a Sony. There's a G board (power supply) A board (main board) lcd controller and then just the inverters, ir board etc. Usually no pic no display menu etc is almost always the lcd controller, which is on the top dead center of the back of the panel. There is one wiring harness that plugs into it. It's an easy one to replace, 4 screws around the metal cover and then there's 2 ribbons that connect into it directly attached to the screen. Just be super careful with the ribbons that clip into it, you rip or tear one of those it's bye-bye screen. It's pretty much the cheapest easiest part to replace. What do you have the 40" Klv-40U100M model? I know I have a controller here for that one, I'm not sure about the 32" though.

Rick B
Any known parts that go bad

Any known parts that go bad on the lcd controller board?
I have the klv-40u100m,how much would you want for the board?
Could you paypal?
thanks...........

Cbp
My Tv turned on and off and

My Tv turned on and off and then one morning never turned on. What board would that be? Part #? Any information would be greatly appreceated... Anyone have a good working board?Would it be hard for me to fix it? Thanks

j4bs
Rick B said:

Rick B said:
Any known parts that go bad on the lcd controller board?
I have the klv-40u100m,how much would you want for the board?
Could you paypal?
thanks...........

There's usually an IC on the board, if you flip the board over you can usually see a mark on the bottom under the IC where the board ended up heating up over time, usually it causes the green board to have a dark spot on it, almost like a brownish burnt spot. I know I have the board for it, I'll give it to you for $25 and include shipping with it. If you want it let me know, my email address is [email protected] I know the board is good, but if it doesn't solve your problem send it back and I will refund your $$ for you, since I'm the one telling you to replace that board. Or if you want to send me a SASE I'll sell it for $20. Let me know, you might want to try taking out the board first and see if you see the little dark spot I'm talking about. Just check carefully, it's not gonna be a scortch mark, just a slight dark spot on the back side of the board.

j4bs
Cbp said:

Cbp said:
My Tv turned on and off and then one morning never turned on. What board would that be? Part #? Any information would be greatly appreceated... Anyone have a good working board?Would it be hard for me to fix it? Thanks

Most likely your A board. You might be lucky enough to find it on Ebay, but if you want the tv to last more than a year or so you might want to buy it directly from Sony for $240

joed
j4bs said:

j4bs said:

Cbp said: My Tv turned on and off and then one morning never turned on. What board would that be? Part #? Any information would be greatly appreceated... Anyone have a good working board?Would it be hard for me to fix it? Thanks

Most likely your A board. You might be lucky enough to find it on Ebay, but if you want the tv to last more than a year or so you might want to buy it directly from Sony for $240

Hello,

I had the same problem...system shutdown intermittantly for a while, then just stopped coming on.

No power LED...nothing..

I replaced the A board...I paid the $240 direct from Sony, and installed it myself...It was not difficult at all..

The TV seems to be working fine.

-j

RHJ
Hi i'm still trying to fix

Hi i'm still trying to fix the 9 blind fault on my 32v2500 and have, tried the diodes but no success:( now i have been told that the intergarted circuit i need is part no. LC6301PFC. sony have sent the wrong part twice (they keep sending part for kdl32s2000 not kdlv2500 so watch out). I'll post again if this works.

RAR
Larry Dillon said: yes

Larry Dillon said: yes replace those Diodes it is very cheap repair!!!!

Larry -

I have the service manual for my KLV-40U100M and can't locate D6116 or D6301 on the G2 Board (power board).  Am I looking in the wrong place or was that suggestion for another model?

Andrew

rers0613
Hey guys. Thanks for the

Hey guys. Thanks for the info on this forum. My Bravia also has the problem of turning off, except mine will not come back on. Because it will not come back on, I have no way of telling how many times it will be blinking. Therefore I don't know if it is the diode problem or not. Can anyone guide me in the right direction? I would like to keep this TV, but it is currently useless and will not turn on at all. How do I troubleshoot this? All of the service centers in the area want to charge a fee to diagnose then who knows how much they will charge to fix the "problem". If any of you know what I can do it would be great. I am pretty tech savvy and if the repair isn't too drastic I can most likely do it.
Thanks for the help...Ryan

Rick B
rers0613 said: Hey guys.

rers0613 said: Hey guys. Thanks for the info on this forum. My Bravia also has the problem of turning off, except mine will not come back on. Because it will not come back on, I have no way of telling how many times it will be blinking. Therefore I don't know if it is the diode problem or not. Can anyone guide me in the right direction? I would like to keep this TV, but it is currently useless and will not turn on at all. How do I troubleshoot this? All of the service centers in the area want to charge a fee to diagnose then who knows how much they will charge to fix the "problem". If any of you know what I can do it would be great. I am pretty tech savvy and if the repair isn't too drastic I can most likely do it. Thanks for the help...Ryan

Your problem sounds like the "a" board.

If you have the klv40u-100m  the diode problem does not apply to this set.

RAR
I ordered the A Board a few

I ordered the A Board a few days ago, for those interested in cost:

Part Number: 178946521
Quantity: 1
Description:
Subtotal: 0
Tax: 17.23
Shipping Charges: 6.95
Order Total: 239.66

You can order it directly off Sony's site by entering the part number.

If your in need of the service manual, it is here: http://tinyurl.com/yexse2l

Andrew

rers0613
RAR, did you install the "A

RAR, did you install the "A Board" yourself? Has it worked so far? Has anyone ordered this part with lasting results or is the tv going to crap out again?

RAR
I have not gotten it yet. I

I have not gotten it yet. I have taken the back off to take a look, however. Its an easy install, just lots of screws and a few plugs.

Interior looks like this: http://eiknet.com/images/smallP9290064.jpg

The top of the TV is toward the bottom of the picture, the A board (logic) is on the left, the G2 board (power) is on the Right. You have to remove the back plastic cover and an interior metal cover to get to this point.

Andrew

rers0613
Andrew will you notify us of

Andrew will you notify us of how it works out and if it crashes on you again? I am sure that there is no warranty on this part correct, so if it does not permanantly fix the problem are we SOL?

RAR
Sure, I'll report back..

Sure, I'll report back..

Just keep in mind it'll take a little while for me to really know since mine is not totally dead yet and only does the cut off and not want to cut back on every few weeks.

Andrew

Pages

Connect With Techlore