RCA 52" projection tv model D52W20

108 posts / 0 new
Last post
Rcdego
RCA 52" projection tv model D52W20

I have had this RCA projection tv for 2 1/2 years with no problems.  Now the picture will go blank then come back on.  It will do this once or twice and then the TV will shut down.  When it is working, there seems to be no problem with the picture.  Does anyone know why this is happening?

Larry Dillon
Probably have an intermittant

Probably have an intermittant component, or a bad connection on the printed circuit board somewhere.  Sorry, where?  it is impossable to tell you this as there are thousands of connections inside this sety on the printed circuit boards.  The best advice I can give you would be for you to call an authorized RCA repair center. Good Luck and let us know how you made out with this repair.

Rcdego
I didn't get the TV checked

I didn't get the TV checked out yet, but there is a new developement.  The TV screen will go black and come back on 2 times, then it will go black and the TV will shut itself off.  After waiting 1 minute, I can turn the TV back on and it will be ok the rest of the day and work without a problem.   Does this new information help pinpoint the problem?  Also, I am well past my warranty on this TV, but I got an offer from RCA for a "picture tube" warranty for this model.  Since this is a CRT rear projection TV, does it have some kind of "picture tube", or would the warranty be good to get.

Thanks for any help!

Larry Dillon
Picture tube warrantys are a

Picture tube warrantys are a cash cow for companies.

MOtvGuy
Anytime I get one of those

Anytime I get one of those ITC222 chassis, the first thing I do is reseat the 2 ribbon cables between the Power supply/deflection and SSB boards.  Those things are notorious for weird intermittant problems.

Gina68
This problems sounds similar

This problems sounds similar to one that I am having. I have an RCA model# HD52W59, barely more than a year (but long enough to be past the warranty!)  I might also add that this tv was a replacement of yet another RCA 52" projection that would not power on, and sat for months in the shop.

In recent weeks, my replacement tv started turning itself on and off. Initially, it was occasional, but eventually progressed. We tried unplugging it to see if it needed some kind of a 'reset'. We plugged it back in after several hours. At that point, it turned itself on and off every couple seconds. We unplugged it yet again for a period of time. When it was plugged back in, it would not power on. *It was plugged into a surge protector, which I did check and it seemed fine.

Today I tried a different wall outlet and this time when I turned it on, the power button flashed a single time, then nine times. It did this several times before it eventually fully powered on. After that, I was able to manually turn the tv on and off at will. I got back on the phone with RCA for them to tell me what the 'single flash with 9 flashes' on the power button meant. RCA tells me this is a 'Power Circuitry' problem within the unit (either a loose wire or loose connection on a circuit board).

Hope this helps and I'd love to hear any other advice or tips that can be shared. I just cant afford to drop more $ on another new one!

Oran
I have an rca D52W20 chasis

I have an rca D52W20 chasis ITC222 a week ago it wouldnt come on when I pressed the power button. I unplugged it for a few minutes and it worked fine. Ever since then I have had to unplug it before it would power up. Now it is shutting offwhile im watching it sometimes after 30 minutes sometimes a few hours. When I go to unplug it it seems quite hot but always comes back on .Does anyone know what causes this and what average cost should be for repair?

Rcdego
Can a TV fix itself???  After

Can a TV fix itself???  After 2-3 weeks of problems with this TV, shutting off, not turning on, etc.  It seems to work fine now.  After the initial problems of the TV shutting off, for the last week, every time I turned it on, it made a sizzling sound and them would either come on or turn back off.  After a few days of that, it has now been turning on and staying on.  It has not turned itself off for over a week now.  I am sure this is the calm before the storm.

Gina68
Oran said: I have an rca

Oran said: I have an rca D52W20 chasis ITC222 a week ago it wouldnt come on when I pressed the power button. I unplugged it for a few minutes and it worked fine. Ever since then I have had to unplug it before it would power up. Now it is shutting offwhile im watching it sometimes after 30 minutes sometimes a few hours. When I go to unplug it it seems quite hot but always comes back on .Does anyone know what causes this and what average cost should be for repair?

This sounds like what mine is doing. Except, now it takes a longer period of time for the tv to sit unplugged before it will power up. I have a tech scheduled to come on 07/09/07. I will be sure to post the outcome of that visit. I hope others will do the same if they get the fix!

Gina 

frank
I seem to be having a little

I seem to be having a little of each of these symptoms with my  RCA D52W20. The first issue startes two weeks ago, when it was giving me a hard time turning on. Then three days ago it got worse. When I pressed the pwr button, it would blink three times, each with a "clicking sound" in the rear left as if it were trying to come on. If I press and hold the pwr button for several seconds, I get one flash, followed by nine flashes. I read on another page that cleaning the circut board with compressed air and making sure all connections are secure shoud do the trick, but I've tried this and it hasn't worked yet.

Another thing, I've removed all the back paneling used compressed air to blow out all dust, and inspected the circut board top and bottom... and everything looks fine. No burns, no popped diodes, nothing looks out of the ordinary. What could it be?

Rodney Stewart
I have a RCA HD52W59 and I

I have a RCA HD52W59 and I was watching the tv when i got of work and it just shut off and wouldnt turn back on when i pushed the power bottuon it would blink and then make a wierd clicking noise in the back like 3 times and then it would turn off and if i try to turn it on again it wouldnt make that noise again until i unplug it anyone know what the problem is? I dont realy feel like buying a new tv only had this one for 1 year.

Josh

Gina68
Gina68 said: Oran said: I

Gina68 said:

Oran said: I have an rca D52W20 chasis ITC222 a week ago it wouldnt come on when I pressed the power button. I unplugged it for a few minutes and it worked fine. Ever since then I have had to unplug it before it would power up. Now it is shutting offwhile im watching it sometimes after 30 minutes sometimes a few hours. When I go to unplug it it seems quite hot but always comes back on .Does anyone know what causes this and what average cost should be for repair?

This sounds like what mine is doing. Except, now it takes a longer period of time for the tv to sit unplugged before it will power up. I have a tech scheduled to come on 07/09/07. I will be sure to post the outcome of that visit. I hope others will do the same if they get the fix! Gina 

UPDATE!!: I had repair out here. The tech tested and disconnected the control panel in the front. For now, the tv can only be accessed by the remote control, as the panel in front was disconnected. (Its the panel that has the power, channel, etc buttons). Ever since the panel was disconnected, we have had NO incidents of the tv turning on and off by itself. Unfortunately, until the part comes in..I have no idea what the repair will cost. I do hope this helps someone and saves them some $$. When I get the final bill, I will post the figures. Good luck to all.

Chris Cloer
Big Rob said: I seem to be

Big Rob said: I seem to be having a little of each of these symptoms with my  RCA D52W20. The first issue startes two weeks ago, when it was giving me a hard time turning on. Then three days ago it got worse. When I pressed the pwr button, it would blink three times, each with a "clicking sound" in the rear left as if it were trying to come on. If I press and hold the pwr button for several seconds, I get one flash, followed by nine flashes. I read on another page that cleaning the circut board with compressed air and making sure all connections are secure shoud do the trick, but I've tried this and it hasn't worked yet. Another thing, I've removed all the back paneling used compressed air to blow out all dust, and inspected the circut board top and bottom... and everything looks fine. No burns, no popped diodes, nothing looks out of the ordinary. What could it be?

Did you ever resolve your problem? We seem to be having the same problems with our D52W20. Did everything you listed with the compressed air and all and it still doesnt work. Any advice?

Rcdego
I believe I started this

I believe I started this discussion back in June, and this is the outcome with my RCA D52W20.  I had a repair tech come out and look at the TV for $80.  He took off the speaker cover in front and inspected the 3 "crt's" only to find out that the center one had a crack in it hense the sizzling sound with startup and the cracking sound while it was on, and the auto shutoff to protect the other components.  He said the part to fix it was approx. $250 - $280.  RCA sells an extended warranty for the "picture tubes" which they call it on the warranty for about $80.  The best part of the story was that the repair tech said it was a time consuming repair to replace the tube and would cost about $300 in labor.  Bottom line was that without the warranty, I was looking at $580 to repair a TV that I paid $900 for and only had for 1 1/2 years.  I put the TV to the curb and bought a JVC.  My suggestion to all would be to simply remove the speaker cover in front and inspect the 3 small "crt tubes" for cracks.  If one or more are cracked or loose, then that is probably the same problem I had.  Of course, I am not a TV Tech, but the loose, cracked "tube" was very evident when the Tech removed the speaker cover and said "there's the problem".  I wish someone had told me to do that myself so I could have saved the $80.

CubanX
I've worked on these units. 

I've worked on these units.  They are prone to CRT coolant leakage.  This usually shorts the driver board and/or mainboard.  It should be obvious if it leaked coolant.  If you lucked out and only shorted the driver board those can be had for $50 new.  Replacing the coolant is a simple fix as well.  A cracked CRT seems odd.  Those things are pretty tough.  It usually leaks at the rubber seal, as if it wasn't tightened down enough during manufacturing.

The leaking coolant and resulting shorts causes the unit's electronic protective functions to kick-in and shuts down the unit.

Crash27
Agrhhh!  I Have the same TV

Agrhhh!  I Have the same TV to, I have had it for about 3 years and it has worked great till today, We went to turn it on this morning and it came on fine but shut off after 5 minutes, and when we pushed the power button it did nothing, after about 20 seconds the power light comes on but no picture and it only stays lit for about 15 seconds then fades out, If we unplug it for a few minutes the same thing again it will turn on with perfect picture and sound but just turns off after 5 minutes or so, and then back to the just the power button lighting up for about 15 seconds then goes out, and again every 20 to 30 seconds the power button will light up when pushed for a short time. I have no idea what this can be but I cannot see it being to extreme for the picture and sound seem fine but it just does not want to stay on. I have read a lot of issues it could be but I just don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on this. If anyone has had the same issue and could let me know what could be causing this it would be appreciated.

Thanks 

Robert P
my TV recently started acting

my TV recently started acting up.  We would be watching it and would hear a loud pop after a few minutes.  I ended up finding out the the CRT on the right side has been leaking fluid on the circuit board below.  I think modfixer hit i on the head when he said that the seal is properly leaking.  How do I go about checking the seal and how to refill it.  I'm currently stuck without a TV and am going through some serious withdrawls.  

Where can I get more info on fixing my TV some kind soul have pitty on meYell

spidy3
I have the RCA hd52w59. Sound

I have the RCA hd52w59. Sound works fine but no picture. when I bring up the menu it looks like its in 3d without the 3d glasses on. any info?

Dwray
Gina68 all you need to do is

Gina68 all you need to do is replace the Tact switchs www.mcminone.com Part # 28-10740 $0.16  each

Dwray
IF TV want power up or turns

IF TV want power up or turns off Replace CP-150 2200uf/16V CP120 220uf/35V CP114 220/35V

PVP4U
Dwary,

Dwary,

Why do you say to replace those caps? Are they located on each of the 3 boards in the front? I am having the issue where it powers up - you hear the TV but mailny goes green then cycles on / off then finally off. 1 single power button flash followed by 9 more.

thanks in advnace

Dwray
WHY Replace the caps because

WHY Replace the caps because they go BAD !

PVP4U
well I understand that -

well I understand that - asking more along the lines that is this what is causing the problem with the tv powering on / off that most are posting about... 1 single power button flash followed by 9 more.

mack2007
I have an Rca p46732BA

I have an Rca p46732BA PROJECTION TV. First the power button doesnt work and now wont turn on with the remote. Remote and outlet works fine. I thoght next to checi would be fuses. Is it safe to open the back ? where are the fuses located inside and how many ?

any help is appreciated.

thankyou

DonV
OK, so I have the D52W20 as

OK, so I have the D52W20 as well. The TV did exactly what most of you are experiencing. The TV picture would flicker at first then it started flickering and turning off. I would need to unplug it for a few minutes and it would work again. This got more and more frequent and now finally it wont power up. I turn it on, the sound comes one and the TV makes a sizzling sound and turns off.

What have you folks been seeing as the cause and what was the cost to fix it?

Gina68
Hi Don,

Hi Don,
In my case, the latest problem (similar symptoms) was a small break in one of the boards (I forget which one)..but the repairman soldered the board I believe I paid a good $200. If you are handy however, you'd save a few bucks. It took him no time at all-I think he was here a half hour in all.

In the previous visit, it ended up being the control panel on the front-it had a short. He disconnected it for a while, which meant the only way to turn on and off was with the remote--so nobody really missed the front panel. We had no incident of it powering off during that time. Then the decision was made that the control panel would be replaced. Honestly, if you try disconnecting the panel and it stops the turning off problem --I am guessing you could just skip replacing it unless it really bothers you.
Hope this helps
Good luck!
Gina

roadrunner0415
i also have a d52w20 my red

i also have a d52w20 my red tube is leaking does anyone know if rca sells a kit to repair there crts?

Carmentn
I have the D52w20 as well--

I have the D52w20 as well-- our problem -- when pressing the power button--it will come on for about 10-15 seconds then go off it does this 3 times in a row but will not power up-- Has anyone had this problem -- if so what do i do to fix this...help!!! :)

Carmentn
Hi I have a D52W20 -- the tv

Hi I have a D52W20 -- the tv does not power off then shut off-- my problem is: When you press the power button the light will come on for 10-15 seconds then go off it does this 3 x in a row but will not power up...Please Help:):) thanks!!

DonV
Hi all, its been a while.

Hi all, its been a while.

I pulled the access panel off the back of the TV and found a bad spot on a circuit board. It is right under what looks like a capacitor. The board is pretty well burnt. It might be able to be fixed easily. I may take it a shop this week.

Jesus_Juice
DonV and everybody that has

DonV and everybody that has had the same issue.

I have a D52W15B

over the past 4-5 moinths I have had the same issue as DonV explained. My tv would flicker, the image would disapear sometimes it would come back and then sometimes it would turn off on it's own. Until about a week ago it went off after being on for about a half an hour. I meant to mess with it this past weekend and just didn't get to it. I had some time off today and a lot of you with the same issue.

This is what I found:

I have plenty of experience with electronics so please, if you plan on digging in be careful.

1.) Whenever I turned the tv on I would hear a"sizzle" kind of like a crackle and smelled a light smoke. I took off the bottom back cover (the cover that protects the electronics for the component interconnects). I turned it on, didn't touch anything inside, and saw an electrical arc and found where my problem was. I then disconnected the TV.

2.) It was located underneath this component(http://www.geocities.com/krazassjms/RandomPics/Component_copy.jpg (It is the white component with the copper wire windings on it)) on the board. It is the board to the left of the RCA/component plugs.

3.) I removed the boards by disconnecting a couple of the wiring harnesses and ribbon cables to check the bottom of the board as the components are through-hole components. I found that one of the solder joints had come loose(http://www.geocities.com/krazassjms/RandomPics/Solder_copy.jpg ). I cleaned off what I thought was a bad burn with some electronic contact cleaner. I simply soldered it back in place and put everything back and now have a fully functioning TV once more.

If your warranty is up, are handy with a soldering iron and have the same exact problem I had give it a shot. If you are not familiar with simple precautions when dealing with high voltages please don't try it as you might seriously injure yourself.

I just wanted to post as reading what you fine folks described gave me a bit of hope. I really don't have another two grand to drop on a new tv. Thank you all!

Pages

Connect With Techlore