Philips Plasma 42PF5520d/10 no sound or picture?

41 posts / 0 new
Last post
thehogguk
Philips Plasma 42PF5520d/10 no sound or picture?

Philips Plasma 42PF5520d/10. The sound has gone off also picture, checked internal fuses 1 had blown dont know what the board is for(it is on the right hand side looking from rear) the board has the largest heat sink & 2 fuses the fuse that had blown was the 1 at the side of the board. I replaced it but still no sound or picture? it did not blow again when I turned power on. it is not stuck in standby green power light comes on ok & stays on & can switch it back to standby ok.can anyone please help or any links to software etc.Is there anywhere I can get diagrams & can you get diagnostic software to connect to laptop? as a friend said he could check it if he had the above.

MOtvGuy
Diagrams are worthless,

Diagrams are worthless, Plasma TV's are board level replacement.  The board you're talking about is the X sustain board. At the very least it's blown and will need to be replaced. 

BTW, there is nothing for you or anyone else to see hooking a laptop up to a plasma set. Your friend is very misinformed. 

thehogguk
Thanks for reply,I made a

Thanks for reply,I made a mistake sound is working. If the board you say has blown (x sustain) how has the fuse not blown when it was replaced? What is this board for & why can it not be repaired? where do you look for replacement boards? do any other model philips 42" plasma sets have same board or boards? many thanks.

Larry Dillon
It is not that the boards

It is not that the boards cannot be repaired, try to get replacement parts.

MOtvGuy
The X sustain board is used

The X sustain board is used in the discharge phase of the Plasma panel.  Circuitry can fail to function without a fuse having to blow.  As stated, at the very least you have a bad X sustain board, it's quite possible you have another problem as well, quite possibly including the panel itself. 

Philips doesn't supply individual parts for the boards nor is the service info useful for troubleshooting. In fact, IIRC, there isn't a schematic for either of the sustain board circuits. Plasma TV's are nothing for anyone to be messing with as far as troubleshooting to component level. They were designed from the git go as board level replacement.

BTW, most of the manufacturers are extremely secretive of their firmware and chip architecture in both Plasma's and LCD sets.  You'll be unable to hook any laptop up to that set because philips would never allow the software to access their sets into anyones hands other than their own.

One particular Plasma TV manufacturer has their set booby trapped.  If you attempt to fire the set up with the back off and not have the hidden safety switch set you'll completely zero out the EEPROM effectively killing the set.  Completely.  Dead, nothing until you take it to that manufacturers authorized service center to repair your mistake which will wind up costing you a very expensive main board.  

Kimestry
I have the Philips 42PF5321D

I have the Philips 42PF5321D-37, I recently upgraded the firmware because I was having a problem with the red light blinking 4 times.  That problem seems to be fixed but now when I turn the tv on the green light comes on for about 15-20 seconds but then goes out, there is no sound or picture.  I have unplugged it several times, let it sit overnight and still it wont work.  When I initially plug in the power cord it clicks, turns green and goes off, that is normal but then when I hit the power button (on the remote and on the side) it wont click like it normally does when it's powering on just the green light pops on without the click.  I hipe I explained it clearly and someone can offer some suggestions.

Thanks

MOtvGuy
I'm afraid I'm not

I'm afraid I'm not understanding your problem here.  Was the set working when you were having this 4 blink red light problem?  If it wasn't, how were you able to perform a firmware upgrade?  If the set was working,  did this new problem start immediately after you performed the upgrade?  If so, are you absolutely positive you downloaded the proper, upgrade for your set?

computerkevin
Same thing happening to me

Same thing happening to me after I upgraded the firmware as well with the green light on then it goes off.

patio
Sounds like something went

Sounds like something went wrong with the upgrade. Did you unzip the file first? You might have corrupted the memory, in that case you need to replace the SSB (small signal board) I have seen this happen before when a customer decides to upgrade their software themselves.

computerkevin
It was done as per

It was done as per instructions on the Philips site, Yes it was unzipped first and it ran automatically. Where is this small board located.

computerkevin
Well no it is turning on but

Well no it is turning on but I dont know for how long its going to work, the menu and screen are sometimes flashing when it first start's, Video card or Power board?

CubanX
i have a42pf9630a/37. the

i have a42pf9630a/37. the problem im having is that the tv is not responding to the remote and i can't get it out of the menu screen. i tryed upgrading the software but i cant get to the validating bar . is there a way to reboot the software,or anything i can do.

computerkevin
Make sure you unzip the file

Make sure you unzip the file and put only it on a USB drive should work

Revivalution
Finally I seem to have found

Finally I seem to have found some people who are familiar with the frustrations and problems I am having with my Philips 42pf5321d/37. Since falling out of warranty my television has cut off at will for no apparent reason. Today it cut off and will not come back on. It is now displaying the error code of 5 slow red lights followed by 3 fast red lights.

I'm not new to electronic repair and feel that I could fix the problem with a little guidance. Some have said that this might be a firmware problem. I've not had any luck with finding the firmware so any guidance with that would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Ptown
I have a Philip 37" LCD TV.

I have a Philip 37" LCD TV. I am experiencing problems with the Menu screen. I can hear the TV, but the menu screen stays on. I have try to remove the menu screen with the remote control, but no luck. Please advise.

Larry Dillon
try and unplug the TV for

try and unplug the TV for several minutes and see what happens.

pengelly
our trip went twice, when the

our trip went twice, when the tv came back on we only had sound no picture. tried to go through insurance, they had a look first they said it was pcb panel then they said it was a soft panel on the on/off switch. said it was general wear & tear, won't pay out. when i asked how much to repair it they said they would have to have another look, which if they had looked properly they should of just needed to find out how much the part cost. got the tv back now, but don't know what to do with it, want it repaired really. do you have any idea's. philips plasma 42pf5520d/10

absgti
hi,i also have a Philips

hi,i also have a Philips 42PF5520D/10 and i am having a similar issue with it.I have no picture and no sound,tv powers up and stays on green and i can switch it off via the remote as well.initially when tv powers up from the mains two green lights come on inside the back of the tv and then switch off,im sure these should stay on or am i wrong?Any ideas what the issue could be?

Thanks in advance

computerkevin
YEs I believe they should

YEs I believe they should stay on. I am going to be replacing the Caps on the power board and see if that fixes it, I've read that it fixed other's. Do the Tv sometimes power on and work.

Larry Dillon
could be the capaiors in the

could be the capaiors in the powr supply, but probably better if you contact ptscorp.com nd se what they would charge you for the rework of that power board.

Mike4321
I have 3 PHILIPS 42PF5520D

I have 3 PHILIPS 42PF5520D plasma teles with all same fault, wondering if anyone can help because im pulling my hair out, tv will switch on, green led steady, PDP strikes, lights and stays lit, with a flash of a full colour picture for less than a second, screen goes blank. But PDP is still being driven as can see its lit, all power supply voltages present, as are X and Y voltages all present, think its logic display board but need confirmation, anyone any experiance of this fault.
THANKS FOR LOOKING,

Mike

tao
same prob as Mike4321! any

same prob as Mike4321! any solutions in sight?

MarineSGT
The only soultion is an

The only soultion is an authorized Phillips repair shop. BOHICA! I have a 52" phillips plasma ambilight. I have had nothing but trouble with it, to include the no picture blinking red light problem. I had to upgrade the firmware to get it working the first time and it went out again. Now it is in the shop for this X-board. (parts and labour $350 plus $75 to diagnose) From reading all the problems, it seems that this x-board is a manufacturing issue. Mine seemed to go out as soon as the warranty was done too. I am doing this repair once and if it breaks again i am bever buying phillips or a plasma again. (I have purchase an LCD Sharp Aquos since and like it better than i ever liked that phillips plasma) I am tempted to tell the repair shop to keep the piece of crap after reading all the info on this thread.

root_source
I'm trying to repair a

I'm trying to repair a 42PF5520D/10 for a friend and it has the same symptoms as above namely, powers up from remote control, sound comes on, full picture for about one second then blank screen.

Part of the PSU must be ok for the sound to stay on and the remote control to continue working. Also, the electronics of the screen must be ok for the picture to be there for a second. I'd like to get a service manual for this thing to give me a fighting chance.

This seems to be a 'common fault' on this model so some engineer somewhere must know the answer.

IHatePhillips
I am having the same issue

I am having the same issue with the red light blinking 4 times and I trying to find a place to download the firmware for this 42PF5321D/37 Phillips but I can't find it anywhere. Anyone knows where I can find this firmware for download so i can try and fix this POS?

Thanks,
David

plasmaissues
Hello,

Hello,

I have a Cineplus 42" PDP TV (yes, Cineplus, I've never heard of them either). I was watching television today, and suddenly the picture and sound were gone. I can only assume that there is still power going to the television because the red light that indicates it is off turns green when I switch it on. There is absolutely no display on screen. I cannot even switch the input. Does anyone have an idea what is wrong? Is it a pricey fix? I'm contemplating whether I should even get it diagnosed, since they no longer make this type of television anymore, and since there is no means of contacting this company either.

Please assist me if you can...thanks

mirajello
I have a Philips 50PFP5332D

I have a Philips 50PFP5332D more than one year old, TV was ok the night before, when turned on the next day the power went on, but the screen is blank and I can hear a clicking sound (like a clock). It won't turn off unless I unplug it. What's wrong with it???

paul hurst
my sound crackles when on av

my sound crackles when on av ext 1 or 2 but its ok on normal tele. it crackles loud but if i open the window where my tv is it stops and works fine

Appleseed
I was on another post dealing

I was on another post dealing with the same thing about the same tv. It seems that Phillips didn't make a good product and we the consumer was over charged for a inferior product, warranty and service. We can all try to fix this piece of shyt but the bottom line is that we all need to stand up against companies like this that have us pay over $1500 for only a couple of years worth of work.One gentlemen suggested contacting the BBB and at least reporting the problem that we and anyone who buys a Phillips plasma tv will have.

raouul
I have a Philips 42PF5321D/37

I have a Philips 42PF5321D/37 with no picture but everything else works......the volume bar and chanels show up on the screen, so does the menu. The sound works as well. Can someone tell me if it is worth fixing or it will be cheaper to just buy a new unit?

Thanks.

simey
I have a Phillips 42PF5321D

I have a Phillips 42PF5321D/37, recent menu mode stuck on the screen, can't select any other menu, it stays on settings screen, can't exit as well. no sound. I haven't done software upgrade. Any way to fix it without taking to repair shop.

Thanks

Pages

Connect With Techlore