Philips 42" #42FD9932

78 posts / 0 new
Last post
Vanko
Hey guy, Im Ivan and I have

Hey guy, Im Ivan and I have two Phillips 42fd9932 Plasmas that have the same problem. I actualy had mine break, and I bought another one with the same problem because I read what you guys said. Can you guys tell me exactly which parts I need to change. I have some knowlege on electronic repair. But not enough to know which parts are which. I know what the caps are but I dont know which models I need and whith what kinds of specs they need to be. Can you please tell me part numbers and mabey send me a pic with which part is which. I know that I am asking for alot but please help me. I will try to post a pic of the inside. Thanks Ivan

Larry Dillon
You will need to purchase a

You will need to purchase a service manual for this set or you will be shotgunning the repair and could end up costing you a small fortune trying to fix a TV set like that.  I went ahead and found you a down loadable service manual fora fair price HERE Good Luck , and let us know if you get this set to work.

Vanko
Would the manual tell me

Would the manual tell me which parts I need to change and which parts are which? Thanks Ivan

Larry Dillon
No, experience would tell you

No, experience would tell you that, the service manual will assist you in diagnosing the set so you can make an educated guess on what to replace first. I wish is was as cut and dry as this.  Your looking to fix a set on what someone tells you. Sure I can tell you to replace the power supply board, as this does go bad a lot, but what if that is not the total problem?  Nobody or nothing is going to point you into the right direction and tell you what to replace and whats bad. It just is not that easy.

Vanko
I know but I am hoping to get

The whole back sideI know but I am hoping to get some information and see what people have done to save their tvs. Anyway my tv powers on for about 1/2 a second and turns back off(It shows the movie and the green dot turns orange), I think that is the power supply. But do you think it is the same problem as what Valerio had? Because his tv powered off when it got hot, mine shuts off right as the fans kick in. I am willing to spend up to $300 to fix it , but I dont want to spend that money and not fix my tv. Here is a pic of all the bords. I know what part the power supply is but what part is the secondary one? Thanks Ivan

Vanko
  ,can ayone tell me how to

PIC ,can ayone tell me how to upload a picture? Thanks I tried with the tree icon but it doesent work.

Larry Dillon
That sounds like the bulb or

That sounds like the bulb or the ballast for the bulb, if you have a bulb in the set. I do not have the service manual so I cannot tell. It would be wise to invest in a service manual.

Vanko
What is the average priec of

What is the average priec of a bulb or ballast?

Larry Dillon
For this TV set? MM I would

For this TV set? MM I would say the bulb. This set does not have a bulb. Sorry i looked up the wrong TV set. You should now for sure invest in a service manual if your trying to fix this TV set. Without one, your shootin in the dark!

Vanko
I did get a service manual. I

I did get a service manual. I am testing the tv with my multimeter. Hey I stored the tv's sideways, that shouldent be a problem right?

Pesaminded
Vanko said: I did get a

Vanko said: I did get a service manual. I am testing the tv with my multimeter. Hey I stored the tv's sideways, that shouldent be a problem right?

Hello All,

I have a Philips 42FD9932 with all the same issues with the blinking red light. I downloaded the Service Manual (which I have no problem sharing, let me know) and found the trouble codes. There are several. (1) code 13. (2) code 12 (3) code 11. (4) code 8. (5) code 2. (6) code 1. (7) code 7. (8) code 14. (9) code 3. I am not concerned with the first 3 codes. But any help with the remaining codes will appreciated. The service manual is a little confusing.

Thanks

Vanko
Can you email it to me and I

Can you email it to me and I will email you mine. My manual has 3 parts. My email is [email protected]

I started trouble shooting mine and I saw that my preconditioner(the board that the power cord gets pluged in) is not sending 380v to the other boards. Mine does not blink at all, it just has a steady red light. Funny thing, when I got it it used to flash the picture for about 1/2 a sec but now the fans dont even start up as they used to.

Vanko
I emailed valerio and he sent

I emailed valerio and he sent me pictures of which parts to change, but my tv is totaly different. Can you post a picture of the your tv so I can see if it is the same. My model is 42FD9932/17G

Give me your email so I can send you my manual. I have all the  problem codes on manual #2 page 9 of 15. Thanks Ivan

Pesaminded
Vanko said: I emailed valerio

Vanko said: I emailed valerio and he sent me pictures of which parts to change, but my tv is totaly different. Can you post a picture of the your tv so I can see if it is the same. My model is 42FD9932/17G  Give me your email so I can send you my manual. I have all the  problem codes on manual #2 page 9 of 15. Thanks Ivan

Ivan,

I just recently downloaded the manual and found the codes. I have found my problem with NFR3668 and now I am searching for parts (the IC7650) I can email you pics when I get back from Vacation (Monday 8/27). Sorry for the delay... Good Luck with yours and Yes My Model is the exact same as yours. (42FD9932/17G). Did you try the 062596 "Menu" to get your codes before you turn on your set? Or do you not even get any lights when you plug it in?

My email is pesaminded at MSN.com

philips9932

Looking for set for parts. PM or Email me with an offer.    eb1mail  at  sbcglobal.net

I have just received a Philips 43fd9932/17G Plasma. Will mention what I have verified at thsi time:

Askign if anyone has a set of this model they want to sell for parts or may understand problem

if experienced before. I have a lot of knowledge of electronics and fixing plasma tv's. But this one

has me spoofed.

It will power on  and will get a flash of the on-screen display before it shuts down. Can see the OSD show liek VGA or CVS1 on top of the screen for just a second. The error codes

I get are:

17  Comm error                Suspecting are caused by 13,14 or 15.

15   I/O Expander error    - A PDP Panel Circuit Board  

14  upD9387                    - On LImesco IC Board part of video/panel circuitry.

13 MC141585                   - OSD Generator Error 

8  Power OKE   

7 Vrr

1 +5V

What I have found before set shutsdown.

380V on preconditioon is solid at 382 volts.

+5.1 volts is solid at 5 different boards I measured it at.

Vs = 175 Volt and is solid

Va = 65 volts and is solid

Vrr appears to be shutting down the set. I disabled Power OK and then Vrr was the shut down

point.

I am seeign the errors 13,14 and 15  as the Panel IC I2C comm errors, which appear to be

on the PDP panel electronics. I am suspecting it must be in that area, this set looks very scary

to remove the metal box from the glass panel to get at the boards.  Anyone seen this error code collection and found a fix or board that made it work. Again, lookign for a parts set if available.

I have studied the schematics and service manual. In some ways a well designed tv in terms of protection  and such, definitely a little over engineered from other sets I have worked on,not saying that is bad, but a different experience.

Dan 

Larry Dillon
You need a digital board or

You need a digital board or the plasma panel is bad.

nyep
Brand: Philips Model:

Brand: Philips Model: 42PF7320/98 Type: 42" Plasma HDTV Symptoms: After using the set for more than 30-40 mins, the display shuts off (status light from yellow to red) then when tv is turned on (status light goes from red to yellow as normal) no more display and sound. After letting it cool down, and doing power cycling (unpluging from the voltage regulator and plugging it back in) the tv would work again for another 10-15 mins. The longer it has been allowed to cool down the longer it stays on (Max of 1 hour) I had the local Philips service center check the set out, they told me that the "PSU Board" needs to be replaced as its causing the problem. Im being charged an outrageous amount for the service that I cannot afford. Im not totally convinced that they are doing their job extensively and they just got lazy and decided to charge me for the whole power board rather than isolating the problem to certain busted caps. Im no electrician nor an expert when it comes to soldering things and am not willing to deal with all this on my own. I will be seeking professional help, but I dont wanted to be fooled like what Philips has done to me. Should I get a local LCD tech get the caps replaced, how much should that cost me? How much are these parts that need replacement? Or am I totally out of luck. Any help will be appreciated guys.

Larry Dillon
The problem is, is that the

The problem is, is that the parts or the schematics for this set will be harder to get then to simply replace the boards. These sets are designed to have the boards replaced. You could have bad capacitors on your board, but the only real way to tell would be to use an ESR capacitor checker and shotgun the capacitors one by one.  But just to let you know, these board do have other problems besides bad capacitors.  You could contact ptscorp.com, get their telephone number and call them to see if they will rebuild the board for you. Good Luck

nyep
How much will that board cost

How much will that board cost if I got it from ptscorp? Can you provide me the name of the board? Thanks for your reply! :D

Larry Dillon
You will have to contact PTS.

You will have to contact PTS. You said it is the power supply board. There should be a number on it.

nyep
Thanks again for the reply I

Thanks again for the reply I will be on it.

Vanko
philips9932 said:        I

philips9932 said:        I have just received a Philips 43fd9932/17G Plasma. Will mention what I have verified at thsi time:    Askign if anyone has a set of this model they want to sell for parts or may understand problem    if experienced before. I have a lot of knowledge of electronics and fixing plasma tv's. But this one    has me spoofed.    It will power on  and will get a flash of the on-screen display before it shuts down. Can see the OSD show liek VGA or CVS1 on top of the screen for just a second. The error codes   I get are:     17  Comm error                Suspecting are caused by 13,14 or 15.    15   I/O Expander error    - A PDP Panel Circuit Board      14  upD9387                    - On LImesco IC Board part of video/panel circuitry.    13 MC141585                   - OSD Generator Error      8  Power OKE        7 Vrr     1 +5V    What I have found before set shutsdown.    380V on preconditioon is solid at 382 volts.    +5.1 volts is solid at 5 different boards I measured it at.    Vs = 175 Volt and is solid     Va = 65 volts and is solid     Vrr appears to be shutting down the set. I disabled Power OK and then Vrr was the shut down      point.    I am seeign the errors 13,14 and 15  as the Panel IC I2C comm errors, which appear to be    on the PDP panel electronics. I am suspecting it must be in that area, this set looks very scary    to remove the metal box from the glass panel to get at the boards.  Anyone seen this error code collection and found a fix or board that made it work. Again, lookign for a parts set if available. I have studied the schematics and service manual. In some ways a well designed tv in terms of protection  and such, definitely a little over engineered from other sets I have worked on,not saying that is bad, but a different experience. Dan    

I have the exact same problem with my tv. If you see what the fix is please share it with us. Thanks Ivan     (MODERATOR,= NO selling or buying allowed)

TestUser1
My philips TV is completly

My philips TV is completly dead. It doesnt power up. (no relay sound, no lights, nothing). What could be a problem ? I checked power unit and it works....

Guest (not verified)
Dear Valerio and Others: No

Dear Valerio and Others: No luck yet.....I replaced the two PWM Oscillator IC (MC34067P).....I replaced all of the electrolytic capacitors around the MC34067P (2.2u, 4.7u, 100u, a couple of 1000u)......same problem, set goes on for a minute or two, then goes off and will not go on again until next day..........QUESTION #1 so, shall I now go and do the Valerio steps backwards and replace the MOSFET STY34NB50 ????..........QUESTION #2 Then if that does not work, replace the more of the electrolytic caps and mylar caps in the Preconditioner stage and VsVa Power supply stage (where ever those are)????..........QUSTION #3 Should I be taking measurements like sure that the Preconditioner stage is running ok, with an output of 380 to 395 volts DC. (There are two fuses on the board (in my 32FD9954), one is for the mains AC located near the mains connector coming from RF filter (two wire connector- large wires), the other fuse is in the middle of the board. You measure the DC voltage on this fuse on the middle of the board and it should be about 380volts or above.)........QUESTION # 4 Am I wasting my time and should just dump it?

Guest (not verified)
Where is the MOSFET STY34NB50

Where is the MOSFET STY34NB50 located?....There are quite a few boards and chips.

Sir Slick
Hi Guys. Long time no post.

Hi Guys. Long time no post.

I posted way back in March of 2006 about my Philips 42FD993499 shutting down.

Well, it's winter here again so I got the plasma set out for another look. This time I discovered that my plasma panel (the actual panel) is bad. I wanted to post here in case others had the same issue.

To see if your panel is bad, you'll need to take your set completly apart. Start by taking the back plastic off. Then remove metal cover with all the power boards on it and set it aside. With that out of the way you'll be down to the actual panel. Around the edge of the panel there are many orange flexible ribbon cables with black IC's that look like 'blobs' on them. Check all the way around the panel and see if any of those IC's have small holes in them. If they do, welcome to the bad panel club! if not, your panel is most likely fine and you have a board problem.

I've taken pictures of mine and can send them to you if you're interested.

I'm not spending any more money on this set so it's off to plasma heaven. If anyone is interested in my boards or parts let me know.

Time to get a new TV.

Sir Slick (sirslick1 at comcast dot net) 

Guest (not verified)
I give up and am toss this TV

I give up and am toss this TV.  I changed all the stated capacitors and chips mentioned and go nothing for all the effort. 

My wife will attest I gave it very valient attempt, twice.

I caution you on any hope.

ohh
StoutLager said: I give up

StoutLager said: I give up and am toss this TV.  I changed all the stated capacitors and chips mentioned and go nothing for all the effort.  My wife will attest I gave it very valient attempt, twice. I caution you on any hope.

Hello StoutLager and Sir Slick, I need spare parts for my 42fd9932 plasma. Please let me know if you guys are getting rid of yours and what you would like for them, thank you.

philips9932
  I have parts for this set. 

I have parts for this set.  [email protected] 

Edited by moderator Larry Dillon

Larry Dillon
No Selling of ANY KIND

No Selling of ANY KIND without the permission of the editors. You wish to sell, please do it through e-mails or private correspondents.

Pages

Connect With Techlore