TV problems

75 posts / 0 new
Last post
Larry Dillon
I thought I answered that one

I thought I answered that one?  MMM Ok Mary, your set has a vertical problem it sounds like.  it should still be a good TV set as a vertical repair should not run you over 300 bucks.  Good Luck and please let us know how you made out.

markm
My Mom has an older Zenith

My Mom has an older Zenith System 3 color TV SR273BRK it also has PIP
but is not used; it is hooked up for cable input w/o a box.  Color
has been going out a bit and people are starting to look like
martians:)  I was wondering if there is anything  we can do
to remedy this situation.  I tried adjustion the color tint 
thru the menu but it only helped for a while. The reds don't look red
anymore.  Any help would be great. thanks.

Swiftjd
Larry, the shadow I mentioned

Larry, the shadow I mentioned is a black area that blocks out the picture. its not always there however it is there most of the time.  If you look at the screen, at about 1/2 way down on the left to the bottom it is black and it radiats out from there across to the right getting narrower as it goes.  I'm looking at it right now and the whole bottom is black, then the picture changes and the whole picture is visable.  It changes again and just the left corner is black,  That is baxically what it does all the time.  Got a clue what is causing is.  Any help would be wonderful.  Thanks, swiftjd

455 rocket
This question is about my

This question is about my Zenith 60" TV again-model RZ56Z83.  Thanks for

the prior information Larry Dillon.   It seems some resistors are burnt on the

convergence board, five or so.  I don't know what it will cost to repair, but

you had mentioned an exchange for a rebuilt one, who does this and for

the cheapest, as I don't to spend a lot of money repairing this thing.

Question two:  Once I reinstall this baord, how do I go about recalibrating

the colors?  Any manuals available?  Can I use the remote?  A service

guy told me it could take four hours or five minutes.  He said you may need

to take off the front panel off the TV and adjust it there, Is this true?

I was able to get the screen up on the TV prior to coordinate the lines to

the white convergence line (the colored lines didn't move or should I say I

couldn't adjust them).  Could I do this from the remote?  Also, what other

things do I have to worry about.  Is there any other boards afffected by not

converging things correctly and can that burn out the board I just replaced?

I hear conflicting things.   Any help will be grreatly appreciated.  Thanks

Larry Dillon
Swift, by the description, it

Swift, by the description, it sounds like you have leaky capacitors in the sweep power supply that supplys the screen and drive voltages to the Picture tube.  If you have the experience troubleshooting solid state  circuits using an ESR type capacitor meter, you should be able to find what cap. is bad.  But if you do not, I recommend you seek out a trained tech on these sets to assist you with this repair.  im sorry to say this is not a quicky fix , or an easy one.  Good Luck.

Larry Dillon
455 rocket, you will need a

455 rocket, you will need a cross hatch generator or a DVD with a cross hatch on the disc on puse to adjust the convergence. Yes it could take 5 minutes and it could take hours. Been there done that. go to PTScorp.com. Find the tele number there on the site as i know there is one. call them, and tell them thew number of the convergence board thatis in that TV set, and how much to rebuild.

455 rocket
Thanks Larry D. and Swift jd

Thanks Larry D. and Swift jd for the quik response and info.  I paid 100.00

dollars for the TV and two nice Sony VHS players, of course I use DVD.  So,

what do you think about repair?  Cost wise what would the damage be.

I had to lug this 400 pound mama up 20 stairs from the guys house.  Any

ball park figure? 250-400?  I have some basic electricity, but mostly in

automobiles, I'm not a TV guy.  Boy, you could really dig yourself in a

hole.  So, if you find the leaky 3mile island capacitor from the sweep power

supply and replace it, what is the process of getting this set up and

running.

The things we do for our kids.  Could the leaky capsitor do the same thing

again to the new replace board?  What could I do to get by with the

basics?  Any directions how to get schematics for this TV?  I don't even

know where the sweep power supply is.  Thanks again for all your help.

bearzilla333
hi,i am having random

hi,i am having random/periodic blackouts from watching or playing HD programs,from both my HD-tivo and ps3.

I got an older hitachi model 53sdx89b.it has only 1 cmponent input on back for hi-def.every since i been getting hi-def programs to watch i get a random/periodic blackouts, from both my hd-tivo and ps3.

Is my tv dying or is just wanting to get repaired,or could it be since my tv only has component input,and HD doesnt like component? 

please help

thanx

shane

Larry Dillon
Uh?

Uh?
bearzilla, what are you tryin to say?

bearzilla333
my tv only seems to be

my tv only seems to be blacking out only HD signals, other non-HD programs i watch never blacks out.I wanna know why this  happens, I am beginning to think that since my tv only has component input it cant handle the hd-signal its getting, these black outs are very annoying.

soto345
Hello all.  Hopefully someone

Hello all.  Hopefully someone can help me with my problem.  I have a 36" Panasonic HDTV Tau Flatscreen.  The other day the TV would not power back on.  When the power button is pressed, I can hear the click, the monitor begins to turn on, then another click and about 5 beeps with the power light flashing.  Does this seem like a serious problem?  Or can it be repaired.  If it can be repaired is it something a novice can do?  Or will I have to call in a repair person?

Thank you so much for your help. 

Larry Dillon
soto345,  is this a picture

soto345,  is this a picture tube set, or a LCD or Plasma?

Larry Dillon
Ok, this sounds like there is

Ok, this sounds like there is a short in the set as the set does try to switch on and detects the short and shuts down.  That noise is the straining loaded down power supply trying to keep up the voltage but cannot.  This could be a shorted horizontal output transistor almost any part in the sweep supply.  My advice would be that if you have no TV repair experience, seek out a local servicer, as there are no user replaceable aprts inside this set, and it certainly does not sound like a fix that a novice can or attempt to do.  Good Luck, and let us know how you made out.

Swiftjd
Larry, Thany You very much. 

Larry, Thany You very much.  I will pass on the information and hope my guys can fix it for me.  I really appreciate your help.  Thanks again.

455 rocket
My Zenith z56z83:  It appears

My Zenith z56z83:  It appears several resisters are bad and affected the IC's.  The service recommends having the whole board rebiult from LG, 181.00.  Now, what is the probability that I will have other problems?  Can the IC's burn up agian as soon as I put the board in.  Is there anything else that may be wrong prior to this, that will require more service?  Any idea what the convergence sequence is?  Any schematics available?  Am I taking a big gamble with this?  What is the probability I put the board in and converge it and don't have any other problems?  Thanks for any help.

soto345
Larry,

Larry,

Thank you for your help. Had the repair guy come in today. He said it was repairable but will most likely short out again within a month or two so it wasn't worth fixing.  Sadly, I will be going TV hunting this weekend.

soto 

Winsley Williams
My TV is a Toshiba it has

My TV is a Toshiba it has sound but no picture what wrong can you tell me

Sherri H

I have a Sony Tritron multichannel color tv

Model #KV-2795R At sonys web site they were not able to find this model

I looked on back of TV 1987 Japan.The TV has no remote need to get

codes for universal remote to get into setup,TV stuck on channel 35 all

other channels errased. Sherri H

Roy Ventura
The TV is an AKAI Plasma,

The TV is an AKAI Plasma, Model # PDP4225M the picture is great when you first turn on of about 20 minutes then the color fades away it seems like it's trying to lock in the right frequency because the picture look grainy then it shift to a clean pix but no color and stays in B/W is there any tech tip that you can give me?

notechmom
Hey Larry, just wanted to let

Hey Larry, just wanted to let you know what we decided on our tv that had the convergance problem, we had it repaired and now the yv looks really great, like new, really!  obviously needed to be cleaned inside and had another problem iwht the power board inside.  anyway, even at the 500.00 cost of repair we really are glad to have had it fixed and thank you sooo much for all of your help!

cableguy158
I am having a problem with an

I am having a problem with an older model of JVC it has a yellowish tint to it. I dont think it has anything to do with the tint or the color on it maybe something wrong inside? Please advise thank you.

cableguy158
I am also working with

I am also working with another with a bad coax input on the back of the tv. Thank you for your help.

cableguy158
Its almost like you can see

Its almost like you can see the colors but with a layer of yellow across the whole screen. I am not sure what you mean by greyscale.

Larry Dillon
It is the B&W picture, no

It is the B&W picture, no color.  If you do not have a good grey scale, the picture will look lousy.  You are going to need to most likely have the set adjusted for proper grey scale, if you do not know what it is.  A TV set IS NOT a place to be experimenting around inside of.  If the greyscale cannot be adjusted properly, most likely the picture tube is bad or one of the RGB drives is weak or needs repair.  This is not a job for the handiman or a novice. Good Luck

Starvinmarvin

I have a RCA console TV Model #G26359HP.I can tap the tuner and I get a picture,it will play for a while then it goes,off,like no signal from cable.Tap again back working.Could this be a loose connection at the tuner to the board?.I think I have a part number,#196040,If so would this be something I could do.Thanks a lot Marvin

Larry Dillon
Starvinmarvin, the problem is

Starvinmarvin, the problem is a bad connection on the printed circuit board or a bad connection inside the tuner assmbly.  This tuner is a tricky thing to repair if that is where your problem lies.  If you have any experience solderinig on solidstate printed circuit boards, you should be able to fand a bad connection or change out the tuner.  One is available at http://www.partstore.com for about 65 bucks plus shipping.  A repair shop will probibly charge you a couple of hundred bucks to replace the tuner.  if you have no solid state repair experience, I would highly advise you to seek out a pro to assist you in the repair of this TV set. There is just too much high voltage inside these tV's, even when they are unplugged, for someone to be experimenting around inside this TV.  Good Luck, and let us know how this repair turns out.

MIKE26
I have one hdmi port on my

I have one hdmi port on my philips plasma. When I used the hdmi input i would often have to turn the tv off and on a couple times to make it work correctly. I investigated and had a bent prong. Of course I tried to straighten it only succeeding in breaking it off. can this be repaired easily or at all.

Larry Dillon
Did the pin break off of the

Did the pin break off of the TV port or the HDMI cable? if it broke off the TV port, the entire connector will have to be unsoldered and a new connector will need to be installed. if it is the cable, replace the cable as it is not worth the time or effort replacing a cable connector. If you do not have any solid state repair, or printed circuit, or soldering ability, please play it safe and call in a trained tech to assist you with this repair.

Andy McFarlane
Hope you can help as this is

Hope you can help as this is becoming a real pain.

I bought a SAMSUNG PS42Q7HD plasma about 2 months ago. The TV is great in normal 'live' mode ... BUT....

When I use any recorded media via an EXT connection i.e. both scart connections in the rear of the TV, the screen intermittently flashes black and white throughout the program. It can work fine for a few minutes and then it starts flashing for a few seconds or more and is almost impossible to watch during that time.

I am talking about my VCR, DVD and also my SKY+ plus box (UK satellite)where I record and replay most of the programs I want to watch.

I have done the obvious and checked physical connections, swapped connections, and even checked all these external devices by attaching to another TV where I dont get the problem - so by process of trial and elimination this indicates 100% it is specific to this TV and not the attached devices.

I have also checked the TV user manual etc. but nothing to assist me resolve this.

Please can you advise if this is a known 'fault', if it can be resolved or if it seems likely that either the TV or the rear connections sound 'mechanically' faulty and the TV needs replaced.

Larry Dillon
If the set is only a couple

If the set is only a couple of months old, it should still be under the factory warranty.  What you need to do is disconnect everything and ONLY connect up one device via the scart leads like a DVD player and make sure it is the TV set.  It could be a possible problem with one of the other devices depening on how you are connecting everything up.  If this is the TV set, this repair will most likely involve the replacement of the scaler board or the main board and those are not cheap.  Good Luck and keep us informed of how this turns out for you.

Pages

Connect With Techlore