GR9D Convergence issue with 1999 philips t.v. model 9p5534 c101 Chassis ptv835

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
jreynolds09
GR9D Convergence issue with 1999 philips t.v. model 9p5534 c101 Chassis ptv835

Phillips  model: 9p5534 c101  chassis: PTV835

I have replaced both convergence I.C. units (location: 7012, 7014) on the Digital Convergence Panel as well as the two 2A fuses (location: 1008, 1007)  The t.v. will now converge but I am still having issues.  1. The image on screen is bowed in on the sides distorting the image.  2. When I converge the colors in the customer convergence section and save everything is fine.  When I shut the t.v. off and turn it back on the convergence is messed up again (only the red does this, the blue needed no convergence after the repair as it was perfectly centered).  I am really anxious to get this figure out and get back to watching my t.v. soon.  Calling a repair man is not an option for me.  Any help would be appreciated.  I can do the repairs myself if I can just figure out what is wrong!

evil
You didn't replace any

You didn't replace any resistors? I would check all convergence resistors to see if they are within tolerence.

jreynolds09
I checked all the resistors

I checked all the resistors as well and they seem to be ok. Im not quite sure how to isolate them and check them so I'm not sure though. I get 3.4 across them all which is what I read it should be. I have now also replaced the Opto chip as well and while that did help a little, ( it fixed the image from "popping" in and out from big to small) which I was told it did when I got it but never experienced until after replacing the I.C.'s and then resetting all the values back to factory. It still has the bowing of the geometry on the left and right sides though. If you could please tell me how to "isolate" each resistor to check them individually that would be of great help, thanks.

evil
If your resistors are

If your resistors are paralleled then you could be reading a good resistor without knowing you are bypassing the bad resistor. Have you tried looking in the service manual for the service menu convergence procedure? If you can get them to line up in the user menu it sounds like you just need to save the data settings In the service menu to the eeprom.

jreynolds09
Ive tried that and it doesn't

Ive tried that and it doesn't save. I need to know how to isolate each resistor as well so I can make sure I'm not passing over a bad one. Do I have to desolder it to isolate and test it or is there another way? I was also wondering if anyone knew where to get the mylar convergence grid that you stick on the screen to align the geometry. I feel that if I can get the geometry on track in the service menu then there will be no need to fool with the user convergence as it should be properly aligned. Also, I wonder if the eeprom's data is corrupted and maybe needs to be reflashed since it won't save the user settings. I have heard this can be the issue if it won't save the user convergence setting. If that's the case how to I reflash it. I can do most things myself and build the necessary equipment if someone points me in the right direction!

evil
If every thing is lining up

If every thing is lining up right it sounds as if you just need to save the setting in the service menu. The convergence grid pattern can be brought up in most service menus. It sounds like you need to grab a service manual and read how to save setting in the service menu. Service menu settings trump user menu settings. If you set it to over scan in the user menu the service menu will trump that setting and return it to acceptable settings. Eeprom corruption is unlikely but does sometimes happen. Reflashing an eeprom is not an option, as these chips are specific and have specific setting on them strictly for your set. If you don't know what you are doing in the service menu you can render your tv non functional. I suggest taking it to a pro.

Connect With Techlore