Sony KP-57WS500 Convergence Problem

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
hindsight
Sony KP-57WS500 Convergence Problem

Hello all...

I have found a lot of helpful suggestions on this site to fix the issue with my TV. It has worked flawlessly for the past 7+ years. I had it stored for a few months and upon bringing it out of storage, I noticed an immediate convergence problem. Red and Blue colors seem to be off more than green and there is a bow or arc to all of the colors (green is not as bad) so I'm thinking its just blue and red that are off.
To me, the set is/was worth repair so I contacted a local repair shop to have them come into my home and take a look at it.

They determined that the IC's were bad and one of the pico fuses on the G board needed replacement. So I had them order the parts and install them.
Upon turning the set back on, I have the exact same issue. No improvements. The technician explained that it was probably the D board and they were getting hard to come by.
So, my next course of action was to try and find a D board.. which I did find one on Ebay. It arrived today and I took on the installation myself. Upon turning the set on, I have the exact same issue.

One thing I did notice was that when looking at the back of the TV there are the 2 heatsink risers that the IC's are connected to. The one on the right is cold, even with the set having been on for 15 minutes. The one on the left is warm to the touch and like I mentioned, the one on the right is cold.
So.. I'm thinking that perhaps one of the IC's that I had installed may have been bad or there is another problem.. something preventing the right IC from doing its job.

Does anyone have any suggestions or things I could try? I do have a voltmeter and soldering iron but limited experience with either of them yet I am willing to try as I would still like to get this thing working again.
I would be very grateful for any assistance!

Thank you

evil
Sounds like the repairman

Sounds like the repairman missed a resistor or peco fuse you should contact the place who done it and tell them the heat sink isn't getting warm, but that's unusual for a tech to leave a tv that they were paid to repair in a nonworking condition.

Connect With Techlore