Sony KP65 WS510 Convergence IC replacement help!

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Tjames
Sony KP65 WS510 Convergence IC replacement help!

I need to find out where a trace goes that was lifted by IC 8001  on "d" board pin #3  before I fire this 300lb beast up again.

I have the schematics but it doesnt clearly show where the trace is supposed to go. I lifted the #3 solder pad on IC 8001  and part of a trace close to this pad was also lifted and i have no idea where its suppposed to go now. I tried to follow the trace backwards but it doesnt go to any component.

If you have an email I can send a pic for you.

If anyone has this board and may be of help please let me know as id like to get this repair finished,. Thanks

TJ

easyab
Hi,

Hi,

Pin 3 of STK392-560 is unused on KP65WS510.  Pad came off because it is not connected to any trace. 

This page: Convergence Gallery  shows the convergence schematic for 46WS510.

This is a tough repair for a rookie. Most that try end up with a scrapped TV because of poor quality replacement ICs or one of many different faults that occur when convergence circuit fails.  It is not always a simple "Replace IC" situation. Many times there are "Technician Induced Faults".

Best advice is to call someone competent to do it.

waynetom
Thank you for the response.

Thank you for the response.

I have done a little research and resolved the #3 pin issue. I am quite competent in soldering so I suggest before you speculate on ones ability to perform such tasks, Id advise you to find out their ability level first. You may just insult someone if you don't. Convergence repairs are not difficult when you understand the schematics of the circuits involved and have decent soldering skills. Now If you don't have any experience in electronics then Id agree with you. I, on the other hand, have experience but I was just not familiar with the circuitry until I looked closer and figured it out. Sometimes its faster to post a thread in hopes that someone will post a quick reply with an accurate answer. All you have done is criticize my ability and advise a service technician (Like yourself - Of course!) to do the work that a competent person could do easily. I am an electrician by trade FYI so there are quite a lot of similarities. In fact in trade school we were taught basic electronic circuitry. What I didnt have was a FULL understanding of these convergence CIRCUITS until I studied them. IMO Tv repair men are CROOKS! By the way, the #3 pin is a VERY common problem when soldering these boards.

At any rate I do appreciate your attempt at giving sound advice. Go somewhere else for your personal advertising as this post was not intended for self promotion.

Thank you and have a good day.

easyab
Tjames said: IMO Tv repair

Tjames said: IMO Tv repair men are CROOKS! By the way, the #3 pin is a VERY common problem when soldering these boards.

Hi James,

I am sorry you are so touchy. Not using Pin 3 is not a fault, common or otherwise. It is part of the circuit design.  The only research you had to do was look at a schematic. That is why you were given a link to the convergence circuit. Finding Pin 3 of that IC in the complete shematic can be overwhelming, I just assumed you were a rookie, sorry.

The real insult is when you call all TV Repair people crooks.  There are some of us that do good work, charge a reasonable amount and provide a guarantee.

HappyCamper
Thanks TJ for posting your

Thanks TJ for posting your question about Pin 3 lifting, I had the same thing happen while removing the STK and concluded that it was unused. I have the entire Service manual but the schematics are so small even with a magnifier I was not able to verify my suspicion. As for reputable TV repair people, I still have to find one in my area (rural SW Ontario) and that is why I try to do my own repairs so I find websites as this very helpful.I too started as an Electrician and have successfully moved into electronic repairs most for myself.

Connect With Techlore