57 inch Sony convergence repair help

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
bg2442
57 inch Sony convergence repair help

I have an 57WS500 and my screen was 3d looking and bowed and one convergence didnt heat up so I replaced the chip and now both chips heat up but the tv looks the exact same so Im not sure what to check for since they both heat up. Any help with be great and does anyone know where i can get the service manual.

slinteriors
Did you check the 6 pico

Did you check the 6 pico fuses on the D board and also the two picos on the G board. usually 1 or 2 will blow on the D board and at least one on the G board. Check those 8 pico fuses chances are thats whats going on is a blown pico.You can get the factory service manual from the following link via download. http://servicemanuals.vstore.ca/product_info.php/pName/kp51ws500/cName/s...

evil
We have the RA-6A manual in

We have the RA-6A manual in the technicians corner http://www.techlore.com/download/30282/SONY-SERVICE-MANUAL-RA-6A-w-schem...
If you only replaced one chip expect it to happen again here shortly.

bg2442
Is there anyway to check the

Is there anyway to check the pico fuses besides unsoldering one side? Thanks for the help

bg2442
Well I got an update i

Well I got an update i checked everyone of the pico fuses and the very last one was bad but it was on the side that i haven't replaced the ic chip so I put everything back together and that didn't help at all. Do you think I should replace that ic chip to even though it heats up?

evil
Did you try to adjust the

Did you try to adjust the convergence while it was messed up?or have you tried to adjust it since you replaced the chip?Did you replace the blown pico fuse?

bg2442
I have replaced both chips

I have replaced both chips now and fixed the blown fuse but my screen is still like before but both chips heat up. I tried to manually adjust but can't seem to get it to work right and its hard to see because my screen still bows down from the top. It also has curved red lines and blue lines when the screen is black

evil
The bow from the top is

The bow from the top is called pincushion issue, not sure what the other lines your talking about are. Can you take a photo and upload it on here? On page 70 of the manual if its the same for your chassis check pins 4 and 5 for -22 and +22 volts using a cold ground going to the IC's. How did you happen to get replacement pico fuses in a day?

bg2442
I will try that when I get

I will try that when I get home and I already had them they came with a kit.

evil
Did the kit come with

Did the kit come with instructions? You should have replaced the pico fuse before you installed the new chip/s. You could have damaged the sensitive semi conductor inside the new IC since you didnt.

bg2442
Well the fuses on the side I

Well the fuses on the side I replaced before i checked the fuses were good. It was the other side that had a bad on so I replaced it then put a new ic in that side.

waynetom
When checking with DMM on

When checking with DMM on diode setting, what reading do you get if the fuse is good?

evil
When testing parallel diodes

When testing parallel diodes with the diode function it will usually only tell you if the diode your testIng is good or not,may work the same with fuses,you should get infinite reading when testing a fuse with the diode setting.-big brain fart on my part-

evil
OK your testing fusible

OK your testing fusible resistors,they are a completely different component than a diode. Test these by turning your meter to the highest ohm setting and you should get a reading or set it to continuity and if you have infinite continuity then it's good. They will read both ways,non polar.

bg2442
Alright I'm a little confused

Alright I'm a little confused so my convergence is still off and the screen bowed. Both chips do heat up. What is the next thing I should do to narrow down the problem? Thanks for all the help

evil
Pay very close attention to

Pay very close attention to the instructions I'm about to give you,as changing anything other than what I tell you to can render your tv non functional. With the tv off. With the original remote press "display" "channel 5" "Volume up" "Then power" this will turn on the tv in service mode wait 10 minutes and press "8" and then "enter" this will reset your TV back to factory condition then turn the tv off by pressing the power button wait a minute or two then turn it back on and report back if there was any change.

waynetom
Sorry to interrupt again, but

Sorry to interrupt again, but I called Sony support with no luck. Any ideas how to completely reset the RM-Y909 remote to work with another model. Example...KP57WS500 remote and reset it to work for the KP65WS510.

Thanks.

T-

evil
You shouldnt have to

You shouldnt have to reprogram anything they both use the same remote commander.

evil
I knew we had the RA-6 it

I knew we had the RA-6 it took some digging but I finally found it.

http://www.techlore.com/download/23110/Sony-KP-51-57-65-WS500/

waynetom
LOL Exactly what Im thinking.

LOL Exactly what Im thinking. I contacted Sony several times and they keep saying the two are not compatible. ITS THE SAME REMOTE!!!....But yeah, Its not turning on my 510 for some reason. Works just fine on the 500. Hmmm. thanks for the link...I have the service manual for the KP65WS510 and it says nothing about resetting the remote commander.

I just thought someone might know offhand.

Cheers!

waynetom
So it SHOULD work on the

So it SHOULD work on the different model as long as its the RM-Y909, right?...That is strange.

Update. Just tried the remote again and its working now. LOL. This house is haunted.

bg2442
I reset the tv and there was

I reset the tv and there was no change made.

evil
Check any and all connections

Check any and all connections that you have removed for bent pins and that they are making good connection.

Connect With Techlore