Sony KP-61PS1 strange noises and screen disturbance !?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Astromeid
Sony KP-61PS1 strange noises and screen disturbance !?

Hi

I have a rather lovely but old sony TV ( rear projection KP-61PS1), had it since 2003 ! I love my TV we fell out in December 2009 when it went all funky 3D on me.. However after some research and 2hrs of blood sweat and tears I successfully replaced the STK IC's !!  So we were friends again.

So we've been going along all fine and then this past few days there have been some odd static zappy like noises together with some white lines appearing close to the bottom of the screen, and the image itself also shrinking and then popping back ! This totally freaked my kids out as you can imagine and I'm now trawling the web to find a clue !

So can one of you lovely people perhaps shed some light on the problem or is my lovely TV about to go up in smoke :-(

Thank you kindly !

evil
Sounds like maybe a Focus

Sounds like maybe a Focus bloack or a tube going bad usually the blue one take the front botton cover off and see if you can see it ark on the board to the far right it may be arching from where the glass meets the board and the ark may be hitting a heat sink on the board.Do not use the tv untill this is resolved it could pose as a fire hazard,if it were me id unplug it.

Astromeid
Thank you for your reply..

Thank you for your reply..

I have indeed unplugged it, can do without buring my house down ! Now I'm wondering if it is worth it to repair or retire !?

evil
Tv's that old its probably

Tv's that old its probably best to retire it,thats what I do if its going to cost me more to fix it than I can sell it for,age plays a factor as well.You can have your tubes rejuvenated,cost less than buying a new one and any tech will tell you they dont like changing just one CRT-Cathode Ray Tube but then it may be the focus block and or both so by the time you add up the cost of labor something else is bound to go sooner or later and if your luck is like mine it will be sooner than later.Post it on the local swap and shop or radio station for free,make shure you mention the words arching I bet some one will come and remove it for free.

Astromeid
Thanks, yep we're going buy a

Thanks, yep we're going buy a new TV and find someone to take it away the old one. I also think once you start fixing things I'm sure something else will go wrong and you'll be stuck in this fixing/ breaking loop..

It will be sad day when it does goes, was part of the family !!!

Thanks !

Connect With Techlore