HP DLP TV md6580n no images/video

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
weaponepsilon
HP DLP TV md6580n no images/video

I recently picked up an HP DLP tv off of someone who didnt want to fix it.  On the way out the guy mention it could be the light engine or the lamp.  I went ahead and started researching the issue, hoping to come up with a viable answer.  When it powers on, the blue power light on the set pulsates for a while, but nothing appears on the screen.  I can buy a new lamp for $110, but I want to be sure that is the issue.  I also dont want to have to spend the money if I can avoid it.  In the past I have done soldering and general repair work so I am not completely new at this.

evil
Remove the bulb and see if

Remove the bulb and see if you can hear the ballast arching from the back where the bulb was.You may have to put the bulb door back in place or defeat the trip switch for it if you can hear it arching all you need is a new bulb if you cant you have bigger problems maybe a ballast or something major.

weaponepsilon
AHA! Thanks for the input.

AHA! Thanks for the input. I've been trying to get all outside projects done before the inevitable cold. I pulled the bulb and held a screwdriver against the door switch and powered it on. I did indeed hear a click. When I went to inspect the bulb, I found that it had popped at some point and there were glass shards in the casing. I guess it needs a new bulb...

Connect With Techlore