Sony KP-65WS500 - Convergence Repair

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
markfothebeast
Sony KP-65WS500 - Convergence Repair

I've done plenty of research on this TV to understand that I need the convergence repair. It's been about 10 years since I have studied values, etc. of resistors and such. I have ordered the STK392-570 IC and already own thermal paste. Now I'm trying to determine what values of resistors I will need and where I am to order them online. Also, I have no clue where to order the pico fuses either. I have yet to test the values of these components, which I plan to do today. A parts list with values and/or links would be a great help if anyone knows right where to find these specific parts!

TV Model: Sony KP-65WS500

Repair: Convergence

markfothebeast
FYI, I'm a little rusty

FYI, I'm a little rusty therefore I'm taking my time to do the research before removing any components.

evil
Click HERE for the entire

Click HERE for the entire repair kit it includes everything including pico fuses,good quality IC's,resistors and instructions on how to repair it as well as information on what to check.

markfothebeast
Ok. I have gotten the boards

Ok. I have gotten the boards removed and found a faulty pico fuse. It was fairly simple. I have located my local electronics supplier with the pico fuses. Now I just need to know how to test the resistors properly. They are all showing on or around 1.1 OHMs.

markfothebeast
Well, I guess I can't quite

Well, I guess I can't quite find the 3.15A pico fuse they thought they had. They do have a 3.5A pico fuse, which I've seen people have used. What does your kit contain for a pico fuse as far as voltage and amps?

evil
The kit contains everything

The kit contains everything you will need from the factory specifications.Its not MY kit its an online store that sales good quality common parts that are prone to failure.

markfothebeast
IC chips are now removed. I

IC chips are now removed. I did analyze the internals of the IC chips and there's a hairline wire inside that is broken one one. This must have been causing my issues and blew the pico fuse.

slinteriors
Be sure to check the two 5

Be sure to check the two 5 amp picos on the G board as surely one will be blown. The resistors are 4.7 ohm and should be fine the RA-6 chassis such as your model will not usually blow the resistors since the picos on the D board protect them somewhat. But the G board picos will need to be checked anytime you have an issue with that type of sony. So youre checking 6 pico fuses on the D board Directly below the heat sink in line with the resistors and then you will see two tan/yellow pico fuses on the g board ps0001 and ps0002

markfothebeast
Those 5amp picos checked out

Those 5amp picos checked out fine. Only found the one faulty pico PS8003 on the D board.

markfothebeast
Woot. Got my parts in today.

Woot. Got my parts in today. Now for the harder part. Using my terrible Radio Shack solder gun and solder braid doesn't really cut it. And I tried to take as much solder off the lower side of the board where the IC's were removed. I hope I didn't cross-solder any pins. There are some tiny little bridges soldered across. Anyone have a photo or diagram of this?

markfothebeast
Nvmnd. I found the wiring

Nvmnd. I found the wiring diagram in the service manual.

slinteriors
a solder sucker works better

a solder sucker works better than wick for the ICs. But the solder cannot be bridged on the ICs or a short will exist. I have pics if you want but cannot find how to post them here but send a email to [email protected] for pics and assistance

evil
http://www.radioshack.com

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062731 cheap to

slinteriors where it says quick reply there is a link under that, that says (or go advanced) click that and you will be able to post pics on here.

markfothebeast
Chips are in, got pico fuse

Chips are in, got pico fuse in. Convergence is fine. Able to adjust vertical and horizontal now. But, my red color is very fuzzy and overlays edges. Maybe the tube fluid needs to be changed? Maybe it needs to be focused. Anyway, I bought the tv for $50 and it came with another complete light and chassis assembly.

evil
http://www.techlore.com

http://www.techlore.com/article/26744/G2-Adjustment-and-Electrical-Focus...

Glad to hear the successful repair.If it were a phillips i would say the fluid needs to be changed but since its a sony try the link above first.

markfothebeast
Thanks slinteriors for all

Thanks slinteriors for all the email technical service! I got all the main settings for the convergence, focus rings, and G2 tweaked! Looks good but I narrowed the shadow effect down to the red tube possibly needing a fluid change (cloudy, bulky lines on the convergence. Tv works awesome. I felt my solder repair was half assed and I lacked tools to remove excess solder but I've run the tv for about 10 hours in a day and no issues. Again, thanks guys. For my next journey, how tough is it to change CRT fluids?

slinteriors
Glad I could assist. The

Glad I could assist. The coolant could be the issue. Have you tried looking in the red lens to see if you notice anything such as bacteria in the coolant chamber?

evil
Getting so much as a drop on

Getting so much as a drop on any of the boards can render your tv NON-functional its not much fun for beginners or those who have done it countless times.

markstvset
how do you remove the 2nd

how do you remove the 2nd anode lead from the flyback on the ra -6 chasis does it just pull out or push and turn?

slinteriors
The small wire from the

The small wire from the flyback has to be traced to the front ( behind speaker grille) where its simply unplugged from the focus control switch box. It just unplugs from there it cannot be removed from the flyback itself.

Connect With Techlore