My old VHS

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Gerriton
My old VHS

Is anyone aware of a combo unit that will copy VHS protected tapes to DVD? I OWN many old tapes that I want to preserve onto DVD - and most combo recorders can't get past the VHS tape (Macrovision?) copy protection. I'm not doing anything illegal - I purchased ALL of these VHS tapes want to make a copy for myself.Frown

Matt Whitlock
This is where the DMCA rules

This is where the DMCA rules get a bit confusing. According to the DMCA, making a backup copy of something you own is legal. Circumventing copy protection in order to do so technically isn't. In other words, the DMCA rules are useless.

As such, you won't find a commercial sold VHS/DVD deck in the US that will bypass copy protections.

You can do it with a PC if you have a capture card and software or a DVD recorder and separate VCR for playback. In any event, you'll need to get a decent "video enhancer" "stabilizer" to get the job done. A Bing or Google search for macrovision removal will yield plenty of results.

As an employee of the site, I have to err on the side of caution and not make specific product recommendations.

JorheJorh
I can recommend a company

I can recommend a company with a solution. Here is the site I have found: http://xdimax.com/grex/grex.html
They have a device called Grex video stabilizer. I heard that with Grex help it will be
possible to remove protection from DVD and TV channels and thus be able to download protected video to DVD.

Connect With Techlore