Old Inherited Sylvania Console TV

1 post / 0 new
mun1son
Old Inherited Sylvania Console TV

Hi all. Hope someone here may be able to help me or point me in the right direction.
I just recently inherited a Sylvania Console TV from my late grandparents. If I am reading the manufacture date correctly, I believe the tv was manufactured in 1981. The model # listed on the back of the tv is CLJ244 HP01.

The last time the tv was used regularly was probably 5 or 6 years ago and it was used with Direct TV. I am now wanting to use the tv with just basic cable hooked up through the coaxial cable. Unfortunately, the original remote control has long since been misplaced.

I do not know if this is a cable ready tv. There is not a menu button on the tv, but there is a Display button. When I cycle through the options under display, there is a cable select and a normal select, but no option to start searching for channels. When I hook up the coaxial cable from the wall (which I'm positive works as it works on other tv's.), I do not receive the cable signal on the tv, regardless of whether it is on cable select or normal select. I do see a fuzzy picture of some channel and I can hear audio, but it's like that is what the tv is picking up on it's own - not from cable.

I also tried hooking up a vcr to the tv, with the cable going through the vcr. I tried on both channel 3 and 4 and it was not receiving the signal. When I hit the tv/vcr button on the vcr, it changed the display somewhat, but it still seemed as if no signal was being received from the vcr - be it from the vcr tuner or vhs tape.

My questions are:

Is there some setting on the tv that I am missing by not having the original remote control?

What would be the cause of the signal not being received by the tv?

Is this a cable ready tv?

Thank you for your time.

Connect With Techlore