WS65909 New Caps, runs for about 20 min and quits

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
slr_65
WS65909 New Caps, runs for about 20 min and quits
Hi Guys,
I was given a Mitsubishi WS-65909 that had the blinking timer light problem.  If you plugged it in the light blinked and it never quit.
I researched the problem and replaced the seven caps in the DM module with DigiKey part # P13119-ND caps.
After I replaced them the set turned on just fine and I watched it for about four hours the other night and it worked fine.  Tonight I was playing with the digital tuner seeing if it would find our unencrypted networks (and it did!) and as I was thumbing through the channels it found I heard a thump noise, the tv turned off, and the timer light started flashing continuously again. In a minute or so though the timer quit flashing and went out.  I pressed the power button and it came back on and gave a message that the power had went out and to check the clock setting.  I ran it for another 20 min or so and it did the same thing again - it turned off, the timer blinked continuously, after a minute or so the timer quit blinking and went out, and then it would turn back on.

Apparently something is getting hot?

Any likely suspects?

This is kind of a bad time for the project - I have a son in the service and he's coming back on Tuesday and this tv is setting in the corner of the living room that the Christmas tree normally sits in . . . and my wife wants the tree up NOW so it's Christmasy for him. Soooo, I have this weekend to play and if it's not fixed then the big heavy lug is being relegated to the garage until after the holidays.  That's no biggie, we already have a 56" in the living room, but I'm just not looking forward to lugging the big brute out the door, down the stairs, and around the corner to the garage! So, I'd like to fix it now if I can so we can proceed with the plan of moving the 56" downstairs and this one into the entertainment center.  Any suggestions would be most welcomed!

Thanks!

Steve

slr_65
I tried to pull an error code

I tried to pull an error code while it was blinking but it wouldn't. When it quit blinking I could pull the code but all I got was a 12 which means no errors detected.

slr_65
Hi Guys,

Hi Guys,

I've been doing some research on this and haven't dug up much.

I did find one thread on TechLore though that sounds very similar to my problem so I'm going to investigate a little further later today.

The reply was posted by JonnyP in the "Mitsubishi WS-55909 green flashing light issue" thread located at:

http://www.techlore.com/forum/thread/21539/Mitsubishi-WS-55909-green-flashing-light-issue/?page=6

Here's his post just so readers of this thread don't have to jump around and disrupt the flow of this thread:

Hello Larry,

I have a ws-55909. About a year ago, I replaced the 7 capacitors on the DM board, and my tv was working again. (I did not need to replace any pico fuses.)

I just bought a amplified DTV antenna, but while using the built-in ATSC tuner (I never used it before), my tv slightly pixelates the on screen menu's text and icons. The tv then no longer displays the dtv channels, and sometimes locks up and shuts itself off, the green power light on the front panel starts flashing. After the tv completes booting up, the tv (dtv tuner included) starts working, but only till the reboot and/or freeze happens again.

It does not reboot or mess up while using the 1080i component input...

I did notice while plugging in the amplified antenna, that the dtv antenna connection was noticeably warm. Is it possible something in the ATSC tuner needs to be replaced or rebuilt?

Thanks for your help. Hopefully there is something I can do to fix it.

Jonathan

Larry basically replied that he suspected the problem was related to a poor quality over the air signal.

Hmmmm, my problem also surfaced when using the digital tuner but I'm using the cable QAM portion of the tuner (they use the same coax input).

*) I noticed that no matter how I scan the channels (standard, irc, or hrc) it never finds all the channels and those that it does find aren’t assigned the same channel numbers as my LCD tv with digital tuner or the digital tuner in my home theater pc (the LCD and HTPC do agree on the channel numbers).  In fact only standard and irc find any channels and hrc finds none.  Since my LCD and HTPC required no special tweaks to work it appears my cable company isn’t doing anything special.  These TVs were made in 2001 / 2002 when digital transmission wasn’t common and I wonder if some transmission standards haven’t changed and these tuners aren’t fully compatible?

*) JonnyP had problems with pixilation of onscreen menus, text, and graphics.  My on screen menus and graphics generated by the tv were fine but onscreen graphics on the digital channels were affected.  I was watching a news broadcast and they had some scrolling text at the bottom and that text had jagged edges and jittered as it scrolled.  Watching the same program on the main tv via cable box did not show this behavior, it looked fine and scrolled fine.

*) JonnyP I think analyzed it better than I did – I think he’s right -> it’s a reboot not a problem causing my blinking light.  When these reboot (such as when you unplug and plug the set back in) the timer light blinks quickly for 70 secondsn.  I didn’t time mine, but when it shut down the light blinked rapidly for a short bit and then it would go out and I could turn the tv back on.  I was guessing it was a minute or two so I’ll bet it was 70 seconds.

*) JonnyP also commented that he had no problems with the component inputs.  I haven’t tried the component inputs yet, but using the Ant A analog cable input I watched the set for several hours the other evening with no problems at all.

All of this leads me to wonder if it’s not a problem with the digital tuner?  I wonder if it’s simply not compliant with the current transmission methods and gets confused and causes a reboot?  Or if there is a physical problem in the tuner but it only shows up when it’s being used?

Later today I will turn it on to a digital channel and watch it until it goes off and then time how long the light is blinking before it goes out.  I’ll bet it’s 70 seconds . . .

I will also move the cable back to the analog input and let it run and see if it goes out again.

I’ll post my results back later tonight.

If anyone else has seen this behavior using the digital tuner of these units please post your experience!

Any comments, suggestions, etc. would be most welcomed!  Like I said, my wife is chomping at the bit to get that Christmas tree up before my son arrives home!

Take Care,

Steve

slr_65
OK, been playing . . .

OK, been playing . . .

Yep! The blinking light I'm sure was just because the unit was rebooting.

Running analog I haven't had an issue so far, I'm going to let it run all evening though to make sure.

I also ran across this thread - looks like the digital tuners in these sets are useless!

http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3605

slr_65
Moderator - I'm wondering if

Moderator - I'm wondering if we shouldn't change the title of this thread to something like "Mitsubishi V19 Chassis Digital Tuner Problems"?

Connect With Techlore