Geometry and Convergence set up

1 post / 0 new
DGINSD
Geometry and Convergence set up

I have some confusion on the purpose of some of the controls in the service menu of my TV and how to properly set them; my set is a Panasonic PT-47WX49E. The controls in question are the ones in the HDEF and VDEF adjustment section. The service manual states to turn off digital convergence and cover all but the green tubes before making adjustments, why do they have you do this? Also, many of the adjustments in this section are similar to the ones listed in the in the coarse convergence section.  My question is, aside from the ability to adjust RGB individually, how does coarse convergence and these differ and what is the purpose of having two sets of similar adjustments. Also when I turn off digital convergence it appears as if these HDEF and VDEF adjustments have never been done or at least not done as well as they should have been, is this causing undue stress on the convergence circuit?

There are also a few adjustments that I don’t completely understand, the service manual is little help and I can’t find much info online. The ones I need help with are HCORR: horizontal correction, V-S: vertical S correction, V-I: vertical ending correction, VSYM: vertical magnet correction, and VCORR: vertical correction. The service manual gives default settings for these but I’m sure they are not correct, first it doesn’t look right second the service manual has is only partial and has you refer to an older manual for the remaining manual (the older set is a 4:3 model and therefore different geometry). I really need to know exactly what all these controls do so I can properly set this TV up.

Connect With Techlore