Sony TV and Blueray player both went out

1 post / 0 new
stevenr
Sony TV and Blueray player both went out

I'm new to this site so first of all hello and thanks in advance for any help!

About two weeks ago I heard a semi loud pop come from my entertainment system.  I wasn't really sure what was wrong and nothing seemed messed up so I let it be.  A few days after that I tried to use my Blueray player and it would not respond to the power button.  I plugged it into a different power source and it still would not turn on or even make any attempt at turning on.  Put it in the truck to go to the store.

Today I was watching TV and then POP pretty freaking loud.  The power in the entire room shut off and then came back on... all the same things that happens during a storm when your power goes off and comes back on.  I turned the TV back on and it was very red.  I could barely make out it's screen saver.. like.. where it just bounces messages around the sccreen when the TV is inactive.  This is DESPITE the fact that it was actually active.. like.. I could still hear my TV show going on.  So there is no way the sattelite receiver was actually trying to put forth the screen saver.. it's like the TV was ****ed up and displaying what it has spent many hours displaying you know???

At first I cycled the TV on and off a few times and it would just come back on red.  Now it will not even turn on.  *** There is a red light in the front of the TV blinking 7 times.  According to the Sony site this means: "High voltage shutdown. The high voltage has exceeded 33k and the unit goes immediately into safety shutdown. Check power supply regulation and horizontal circuits."

1) What does that error code mean? What does it mean to check the power supply regulation and horizontal circuits?  Is the TV shot or is it fixable? 

2) There is clearly a power problem.  It appears my Blueray player and my TV both suffered similar fates.. which indicates that there is a problem I guess with what is powering them.  What do you think is causing my electrical devices to keep getting power surges?  Does this mean I have too much stuff hooked up to the same power source or something?

THANK YOU in advance for any help.  I'm not really a techy so dumbing down your answers would be great lol.

-Steven

Connect With Techlore