Magnavox 42mf231d/17 No Picture / Sound

34 posts / 0 new
Last post
KevinWheeler
Magnavox 42mf231d/17 No Picture / Sound

Greetings;

I have a 2006 model year Magnavox (Philips) 42 inch plasma thet will not power up. The blue power light does come on and stay on, you will hear a relay click when you first turn it on and then a few seconds later a second click. I have removed the back, found 3 green lights, 1 blinking on what I believe is the image board, I was able to verify proper voltages from the ac imput all the way to the main power supply board and at Vs, Va and Vsc but then lose track of where it would go next,Their are no visable signs of any caps being even slightly effected BUT that may mean nothing. I am thinking a SSB may be possible and have been searching forums for weeks for clues. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Kevin

Alnp
Get the MODEL number from the

Get the MODEL number from the pdp (display panel), for the mfg and the generation of the panel, i.e. lg pdp42vxxxx. Get the numbers from the y and z boards on either side of the pdp.

Search the web for common faults of that panel/board, you may have to use google translate to read foreign tv forums, where most of the component level plasma repair discussion is.

On the HP PL4260N (LG pdp42) I have, had no pic w/sound, blown fuse on ysus. Checked y and z board fuses for open, FET's ,IPM (stk) under the large heatsink for shorts. Problem was short in stk795-820, difficult to remove without damaging traces. 795 series stk's starting to show up on ebay and in parts.

KevinWheeler
Alnp thank you for the ideas,

Alnp thank you for the ideas, I have checked all 3 fuses, all are OK with no signs of overheating. Have tirelessly searched the web for clues with some success but it usually is a faulty cap or ic. I feel this is more generic in nature like the small signal board or main power supply. In my case their is no picture, sound or any sign that the display has life. flashes, random pixels etc. I will gather the information and keep trying.

Alnp
Search panel/sustain board

Search panel/sustain board numbers for repair history and clues. Check any suspect board for bad solder.

JayP828
Hi,

Hi,

I was wondering if you were able to fix this issue. I have the same exact problem. Was it the main board. I am trying to fix this myself and would like to know what I need to buy in order to replace it.

Thanks

Alnp
Please always list the exact

Please always list the exact model number from the rear cover in the body of every post's text, this makes it easier to copy/paste the model number when searching and confirms the model number being discussed.

If the rear cover is off, find and list the pdp panel number, usually written on a sticker on the panel, the pdp number will reveal the panel mfg. (usually samsung or lg) and the generation and version of the panel.

In addition the the pdp panel number you will also need the part numbers off the ysus and zsus boards, and power supply.

Armed with pdp and sus board numbers you can find the many other models that use the same parts, expanding parts supply options and repair case histories.

jimfai
hello, so i also am having

hello, so i also am having this exact problem. model number 42MF231D/17. i am planning on removing my rear cover and also want to try and replace the faulty parts? so what was the final determination? thanks

JP1525
Hi Kevin,

Hi Kevin,

Did you fix this problem with ur plasma. If you still have your tv it would be a $20 on parts to fix this problem. I have the same problem and my is fixed. Let me know.

mav6759
I want to know how did you

I want to know how did you fix your problem. I have changed almost everyboard on my set and I am still having the same problem.

mav6759
I am having the same problem

I am having the same problem and I have change out almost every board in the back of that Tv. Could you tell what you did.

JP1525
Hi Kevin,

Hi Kevin,

WARNING !!!!!!!!!!!WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BE VERY CAREFUL YOURE DEALING WITH VERY HIGH VOLTAGESSSSS IT CAN HURT OR EVEN KILL YOU. But I would need more information, when you stated that you got right voltages on Va, Vs, and Vsc what are they? When you power it up first click and the blue light come which tell me the PSU got power to the first stage relay, then when you heard the second click was there any voltages at any of the points: Va, Vs and Vsc? did the front indicator light become red once you heard the second click?

lovelejt
JP 1525, How did you fix

JP 1525, How did you fix this issue? I'm having the same issue with the same plasma....which part is needed? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

jimfai
i had all the boards replaced

i had all the boards replaced and mine is fixed, has been working for several months with no problems, the cost for all the boards was less than $140, much better than buying a new set even on black friday

KevinWheeler
jimfai said: i had all the

jimfai said: i had all the boards replaced and mine is fixed, has been working for several months with no problems, the cost for all the boards was less than $140, much better than buying a new set even on black friday

If you could tell me where you were able to locate replacement boards thet would be great, I at the point replacing them is the next step.

Thanks for the update, Kevin

jimfai
i asked around and found an

i asked around and found an independant repair shop in st paul , mn. this is the cost he charged me including labor, he said there are only 2 manufacturers of these boards that everyone uses and they sell on the internet for about $20 to $22 each. try to google samsung boards? sorry i could not be of more help.

doug pelt
kevin where can i buy the

kevin where can i buy the board for my 42mf231d/17

doug pelt
where can i buy the boards

where can i buy the boards for my 42mf231d/17

hoja
my tv went black when i turnd

my tv went black when i turnd it on...

Travis Broussard
Kevin Wheeler and Doug Pelt.

Kevin Wheeler and Doug Pelt. i have the same Model Plasma as listed above. I Notice that it is getting very hot at the top of the TV. When on for a few hours it turns it self off and I hear a clicking sound. The blue light stays on but not picture or no sound. I wait 5 min and then it turns on and runs fine. I am wondering if you saw any signs before the boards went out. Did they over heat? Is this why my TV turns off b/c it is overheating? How can I keep it cool if this is the issue? Is there a fan that went out? Just trying to prevent any damage from this. Please help!

The Count
I have a Magnavox 42MF231D/17

I have a Magnavox 42MF231D/17 with the same issue. I want to attempt to fix it myself rather than paying a repair shop an arm and leg.

What parts to do I need to order, and where can I get them. My tv clicks once when you first turn it on, and the blue power light does come on.

mushu1430
Jp1525

Jp1525

Hi, I also have the same problem. On mine, the power light stays blue never turns red. I can hear both relays click. I found one bulged cap on the Y- main and replaced it and still nothing any ideas

JP1525 said: Hi Kevin, WARNING !!!!!!!!!!!WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BE VERY CAREFUL YOURE DEALING WITH VERY HIGH VOLTAGESSSSS IT CAN HURT OR EVEN KILL YOU. But I would need more information, when you stated that you got right voltages on Va, Vs, and Vsc what are they? When you power it up first click and the blue light come which tell me the PSU got power to the first stage relay, then when you heard the second click was there any voltages at any of the points: Va, Vs and Vsc? did the front indicator light become red once you heard the second click?

Popov
Please help. Can anybody tell

Please help. Can anybody tell me parameters of C281 capacitor which is on main power supply board and under heat sink with s/n steaker? Mine is burnt-out. I have exactly the same TV with the same problem. To continue investigation I need to fix the capacitor problem first. Then I can provide results of my investigation with possible working solution which hopefully can help you and other people. The C281 cap is right under the red arrow next to the big white resistor and another C280 blue high voltage cap.

BIG POPPA
I HAVE MODEL #42MF231D/17

I HAVE MODEL #42MF231D/17 WHEN I TURN IT ON THE BLUE LIGHT GOES ON AND I HERE THE SHOW THAT ON, BUT PICTURE AND IF I CHANGED THE CHANNEL I JUSYT GET AUDIO STILL....PLEASE HELP ME .....THANK YOU..

ramirezlmt
Hey guys have the same

Hey guys have the same problem but couple of differences. Mine is Magnavox 42mf237s/37 and 5 capacitors were broken in mine if anyone doesn't know they all should be flat on the top. The blue power light is on and the clicking too after 5 minutes it'll turn off. Opened it up and saw the three green lights and started dusting I usually do this with all repairs dust is the enemy of all technology. I then removed my power board to better see the numbers on the caps better and plugged it back in. Didn't work same thing no picture or sound then I noticed that I missed a wire plugged it back it. IT WORKED! PICTURE SOUND EVERYTHING it was a wire that connects to the transmitter underneath the Main board the main board had power but the side boards? didn't and they control picture and sound?? idk I'm not a expert so take this however but I fixed mine =) Now I'm going to a repair shop to one rub it in their faces fing 380 repair bill my A. Well I'd try removing and adding the wires just in case but if that doesn't work it could be the fuses. Or the outlet Or power cord I'm going to buy a power surge protector also I'm going to go to a professional to get my caps replaced cause I don't trust myself with a working tv lol. Anyways really hope this helps

brokentvguy
I too have the 42MF231D/17

I too have the 42MF231D/17 without picture. There are two components on the y main board just under the large heat sink. Any body know what they are? They are getting extremely hot. 

evil
Check the board numbers for

Check the board numbers for them and compare them against whats in the Service Manual for a description of what they are.

brokentvguy
Also I measured the Va Vs Ve

Also I measured the Va Vs Ve and Vsc. they were all fine but the Vsc was varying from 0 to about -15 when it is supposed to be -190. would that be the reason for no picture?

brokentvguy
Can anyone explain to me

Can anyone explain to me where CN800 is? I cant find it anywhere. The repair manual says to short the Relay and GND pin in CN800.

evil
CN stands for connection,

CN stands for connection, where the wires connect to the board.

mjna
I have the same plasma and it

I have the same plasma and it is clicking blue light on and no picture just clicking someone help. I can't afford it to get repaired

brokentvguy
I kinda figured on the CN

I kinda figured on the CN meaning. all the CN on the SMPS are in the 8000's. The repair manual says to short the Relay and GND pin in CN800. Would it be safe to say That is talking about the CN from the SMPS to the Logic board? That would be CN8008 to CN2026.

Pages

Connect With Techlore